FireStarter/AppStarter Boot & Key Mapping thru XPosed Edge Pro

Search This thread

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Already had an idea to possible getting some of the FireStarter options back thru XPosed Modules mentioned in a thread. But once @SimLynks - [TOTAL MOD] Playing With Fire excellent tutorial was release. I was able to guess that XPosed Edge Pro would be the best option to try. Thanks @SimLynks for the great MOD.

This is a walk-thru on how to get the old FireStarter Boot & Home button options working again using the fullest XPosed Module I've seen. This is only fully compatible with ROOTED FireTV (Sticks). This should work for just about any app including FireStarter, AppStarter, Kodi, SPMC, MrMC, etc. This will let you upgrade past FireOS 5.0.5 to the latest FireOS 5 Pre-Rooted roms & enjoy the new UI & bug fixes. A mouse is not require for installing or changing XPosed Edge settings. Since long pressing brings out sub-menus.

Requirements:

1. Rooted FireTV device.
2. XPosed Edge Pro. (More Triggers for boot startup is only available in the Pro version)
Should work on either FireOS 5 or even FireOS 3.
3. Must have installed XPosed Module & Manager App.
4. You have a functioning FireStarter or AppStarter or Kodi or SPMC, MrMC, etc.
5. Read the whole post before getting started.

You do not need the Pro version but @ $1.99 it is a great way to support the developer of this module. And the Pro version will let you do more with this module.

Download & install XPosed Edge Pro v3.9. This can be done thru sideloading. Since the Pro version is needed. Once you have it installed & checked. You will need to reboot your device for it to become active. Change the following settings after you reboot your device. The last setting will not work unless you have the XPosed Edge module activated. And for that you must do a reboot on your device.

1. Start XPosed Edge. Go down to "More triggers". (Only available in the Pro version)

2. Choose "Boot completed".

3. Choose "App".

4. Choose "FireStarter/AppStarter" or "Kodi" or "SPMC" or "MrMC". Depending on your taste.

5. Now your "Boot completed " should show the icon of the App you choose.

6. Now hit back once. And go up to "Keys".

7. Now choose "Home".

8. You should have the option to change "Click", "Double click" & "Long press".

9. Go to & choose "Click".

10. Go to "App".

11. Choose "FireStarter/AppStarter" or "Kodi" or "SPMC" or "MrMC". Depending on your taste.

12. Now your "Click " should show the icon of the App you choose.

13. Now go down to "Double click".

14. In my case I choose to go "Home" when ever I "Double click". You can choose something else.
( I was not able to choose/find "Settings" like we could before. Might be a FW bug. Wonder if that got fix on the latest update.)

15. You should see the icon of what ever you choose for your "Double click". I decided to leave the long press as default.

16. Now go up to "Home".

17. Now long press "OK/Enter" on "Home" until you get to the check box menu.

18. In the check box menu choose "Enable".

19. You will now see the a check in the checkbox for "Home".

20. Hit back one time to go back to the main menu.

21. On the main menu. Go to "Keys" & long press until the checkbox menu shows up.

22. Then choose "Enable".

23. You should now see a check in the "Keys" checkbox & you should see a small popup letting you know that "Key control on" is activated.

Congrats. You now have a FireStarter/AppStarter auto-starting at bootup. And you have full control over your Home button.

I only tried this with AppStarter so there might be some minor tweaks that need to be done with FireStarter or Kodi or SPMC or MrMC but they should be minor. Let us know how it goes for you'll.

Thanks to @SimLynks post here for clarifying that the Pro version is needed to follow this walk-thru. He did mention an option to use his [TOTAL MOD] Playing With Fire directions on how to disable the default FireTV launcher. I myself prefer to just pay the $1.99 for the Pro version. But you do have a choice.

Last edited:

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
- Will add "running apps list" pics & option in the next few days.

- Updated the walk-thru to reflect that the XPosed Edge Pro version is required to follow it.

Last edited:
Reactions: puppinoo

I_did_it_just_tmrrow

Feb 27, 2011
Nice how-to. THX a lot.

I will test it in a few days, when I had some time for it.
Good to see that the long waitiung time for a soltuion like rbox-mods did it, has an end!!!

Greetings by Idijt

Metconnect2000

Dec 5, 2015
Moto G 5G
Thanks for the great guide! Do you have a first gen stick? I was wondering about the performance on it with this set up. I'm currently still on 5.05 with my first gen stick. I had tried never ROM previously but it had noticable lags. Went back to 5.05.

SimLynks

Sep 30, 2016
NYC
@Y314K Great work on this guide how to configure some of the more detailed features of this awesome Xposed Mod.

However this guide specifically uses "More Triggers" which IS a Pro-Only feature. Users can accomplish a similar task by following parts of my info on this module over in the Playing with Fire MOD thread, but would need to disable the default FireTV launcher instead of using the Pro-Only Triggers feature.

I do agree that Jozein deserves some money for this awesome Module, but there are definitely a large majority of users who will refuse to pay for basically anything (at least until they try the free version and then realize they want "more" so pay for pro). You might want to consider doing a separate section on how to do this using the free only features, just a thought.

Also I'd recommend suggesting users add in the "running apps list" to Home Double Click or Home Long Press, so that they get access to the Task Switcher built into this Module. Definitely one of my favorite features from XEdge that was missing from FireOS.

Axecaster

Jan 23, 2011
Thanks for the great guide! Do you have a first gen stick? I was wondering about the performance on it with this set up. I'm currently still on 5.05 with my first gen stick. I had tried newer ROM previously but it had noticeable lags. Went back to 5.05.

Curious if the non-voice remote is being used? Seems to cause slower/choppy navigation with registering input compared to a bluetooth game controller or k400r keyboard on a first gen stick. This was just general observation between 5.0.5 and 5.2.4.1, before the Xposed Edge/Pro module. The xposed module route offers a much cleaner, more responsive approach to the FireStarter home button and start-on-boot features.

Metconnect2000

Dec 5, 2015
Moto G 5G
Curious if the non-voice remote is being used? Seems to cause slower/choppy navigation with registering input compared to a bluetooth game controller or k400r keyboard on a first gen stick. This was just general observation between 5.0.5 and 5.2.4.1, before the Xposed Edge/Pro module. The xposed module route offers a much cleaner, more responsive approach to the FireStarter home button and start-on-boot features.

Cool. Thanks. Yes I have a non voice remote. It seems that there first gen stick is so sluggish at times. Haven't used it for a while. Was hoping to debloat and make it more snappier.

SimLynks

Sep 30, 2016
NYC
Cool. Thanks. Yes I have a non voice remote. It seems that there first gen stick is so sluggish at times. Haven't used it for a while. Was hoping to debloat and make it more snappier.

If debloat is what your looking for, I suggest you checkout the firestick-loader project over at Github. https://github.com/esc0rtd3w/firestick-loader
Seems this does everything it can to remove non-essential packages from the FireStick, is also one of the source I used to know what was safe or not-safe to remove.

Reactions: Y314K

Techstro

Nov 5, 2013
If debloat is what your looking for, I suggest you checkout the firestick-loader project. Seems this does everything it can to remove non-essential packages from the FireStick, is also one of the source I used to know what was safe or not-safe to remove.

Is there any way you can point me in the direction of the Fire TV version of the Amazon App Store? Can you upload the apk and post a link maybe?

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
I'm sorry for asking newbie question regards Must have installed XPosed Module & Manager App.
Where can I find xposed module and manager app?
One more, is anyway I could get rid of kingroot?
I have twrp installed, is any way I could just load any fresh prerooted ROM? My Amazon version is 5.2.1.0 and I wish I could have working firestarter. If I ask too much please disregard my post.5.2.1.0
Thank you

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
I'm sorry for asking newbie question regards Must have installed XPosed Module & Manager App.
Where can I find xposed module and manager app?
One more, is anyway I could get rid of kingroot?
I have twrp installed, is any way I could just load any fresh prerooted ROM? My Amazon version is 5.2.1.0 and I wish I could have working firestarter. If I ask too much please disregard my post.5.2.1.0
Thank you
The XPosed version depends which FTV device you have. Can you be more specific ? FT1, FTV2 or FTVS1 ?

Best XPosed tutorial is in Section 4:

http://marksmods.com/Hack-the-Fire-TV/How-to-Install-Android-TV-on-the-Fire-TV-page2.html#xposed

I usually install the zip XPosed Framework right after installing a PreRooted ROM.

To get rid of KinRoot just follow this guide & reflash your PreRooted ROM:

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-factory-reset-a-rooted-fire-tv-using-twrp-custom-recovery/

Last edited:
Reactions: netgar

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
The XPosed version depends which FTV device you have. Can you be more specific ? FT1, FTV2 or FTVS1 ?

Best XPosed tutorial is in Section 4:

http://marksmods.com/Hack-the-Fire-TV/How-to-Install-Android-TV-on-the-Fire-TV-page2.html#xposed

I usually install the zip XPosed Framework right after installing a PreRooted ROM.

To get rid of KinRoot just follow this guide & reflash your PreRooted ROM:

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-factory-reset-a-rooted-fire-tv-using-twrp-custom-recovery/

Thank you so much for your help. I use FTV2.
So, just do factory reset, I bet if I do it I will loose my kingroot and my ROM won't be rooted is it right?
Is is possible to wipe the system somehow in TWRP and just flash prerooted ROM?
Thank you again...

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Thank you so much for your help. I use FTV2.
So, just do factory reset, I bet if I do it I will loose my kingroot and my ROM won't be rooted is it right?
Is is possible to wipe the system somehow in TWRP and just flash prerooted ROM?
Thank you again...
1. When rooted & with TWRP installed. Only do Factory Reset from TWRP.

2. You never need to include /System in any wipe. Even Factory Reset. Since flashing a PreRooted ROM will take care of /System.

3. If you ever do wipe /System make sure you flash a PreRooted ROM before any reboot or power down or you will brick.

4. For FTV1's & FTV2's I strongly recommend you use a Fat32 USB stick to flash anything on TWRP.

Reactions: netgar

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
1. When rooted & with TWRP installed. Only do Factory Reset from TWRP.

2. You never need to include /System in any wipe. Even Factory Reset. Since flashing a PreRooted ROM will take care of /System.

3. If you ever do wipe /System make sure you flash a PreRooted ROM before any reboot or power down or you will brick.

4. For FTV1's & FTV2's I strongly recommend you use a Fat32 USB stick to flash anything on TWRP.

Ohh... I installed prerooted ROM and I did factory reset from TWRP and I stocked on "formatting cashe using make_ext4fs..." for the last 20min or more :(
Thats mean I bricked it? ohhh :(

Right now I loop coming back to TWRP and reboots again :( What to do to fix it?

Last edited:

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Ohh... I installed prerooted ROM and I did factory reset from TWRP and I stocked on "formatting cashe using make_ext4fs..." for the last 20min or more :(
Thats mean I bricked it? ohhh :(

Right now I loop coming back to TWRP and reboots again :( What to do to fix it?
Seems you where using the old FireOS 3 external storage script. Not sure there was an .zip uninstall for it. Did u always had a USB Drive/Stick connected to your device ? Are you still connecting to it ?

Actually that was never used on FTV2's.

Try to do a Factory Reset in TWRP but don't reboot (hit the HOME button on the middle-bottom). Then flash the PreRooted ROM. Then reboot. But take the USB stick out after it starts to reboot.

Last edited:

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
Seems you where using the old FireOS 3 external storage script. Not sure there was an .zip uninstall for it. Did u always had a USB Drive/Stick connected to your device ? Are you still connecting to it ?

Actually that was never used on FTV2's.

Try to do a Factory Reset in TWRP but don't reboot (hit the HOME button on the middle-bottom). Then flash the PreRooted ROM. Then reboot. But take the USB stick out after it starts to reboot.
I dont use USB stick, just ds card.

This is what I get when Iam trying to flash prerooted ROM

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-07-28-18-49-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-28-18-49-12.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot_2017-07-28-18-49-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-28-18-49-28.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
I dont use USB stick, just ds card.

This is what I get when Iam trying to flash prerooted ROM
Never seen that error. You'll need a USB hub to try using a USB keyboard & USB stick. Also make sure you include a MD5 file so TWRP can verify the PreRooted ROM is not corrupted.

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-use-twrps-built-in-md5-file-integrity-checker-to-avoid-bricking/

You can try using the SDCard again. Just add a MD5 file for the TWRP verification.

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
Never seen that error. You'll need a USB hub to try using a USB keyboard & USB stick. Also make sure you include a MD5 file so TWRP can verify the PreRooted ROM is not corrupted.

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-use-twrps-built-in-md5-file-integrity-checker-to-avoid-bricking/

You can try using the SDCard again. Just add a MD5 file for the TWRP verification.

This is something to do with "cache"
Please look at this: https://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/help/fire-tv-2-boot-loop-twrp-t3648309
Looks like it is the same problem.

how to run this command in adb shell? I have no clue :(

Stuck in a loop?
If you cannot boot normally and keep going back to the bootmenu, wipe Cache from Wipe -> Advanced Wipe.
If that doesn't work, ensure Cache is not mounted from in the 'Mount' menu and run this from an adb shell:
Code:

mke2fs /dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/cache

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Already had an idea to possible getting some of the FireStarter options back thru XPosed Modules mentioned in a thread. But once @SimLynks - [TOTAL MOD] Playing With Fire excellent tutorial was release. I was able to guess that XPosed Edge Pro would be the best option to try. Thanks @SimLynks for the great MOD.

This is a walk-thru on how to get the old FireStarter Boot & Home button options working again using the fullest XPosed Module I've seen. This is only fully compatible with ROOTED FireTV (Sticks). This should work for just about any app including FireStarter, AppStarter, Kodi, SPMC, MrMC, etc. This will let you upgrade past FireOS 5.0.5 to the latest FireOS 5 Pre-Rooted roms & enjoy the new UI & bug fixes. A mouse is not require for installing or changing XPosed Edge settings. Since long pressing brings out sub-menus.

Requirements:

1. Rooted FireTV device.
    2. XPosed Edge Pro. (More Triggers for boot startup is only available in the Pro version)
    Should work on either FireOS 5 or even FireOS 3.
    3. Must have installed XPosed Module & Manager App.
    4. You have a functioning FireStarter or AppStarter or Kodi or SPMC, MrMC, etc.
    5. Read the whole post before getting started.

You do not need the Pro version but @ $1.99 it is a great way to support the developer of this module. And the Pro version will let you do more with this module.

Download & install XPosed Edge Pro v3.9. This can be done thru sideloading. Since the Pro version is needed. Once you have it installed & checked. You will need to reboot your device for it to become active. Change the following settings after you reboot your device. The last setting will not work unless you have the XPosed Edge module activated. And for that you must do a reboot on your device.

1. Start XPosed Edge. Go down to "More triggers". (Only available in the Pro version)

2. Choose "Boot completed".

3. Choose "App".

4. Choose "FireStarter/AppStarter" or "Kodi" or "SPMC" or "MrMC". Depending on your taste.

5. Now your "Boot completed " should show the icon of the App you choose.

6. Now hit back once. And go up to "Keys".

7. Now choose "Home".

8. You should have the option to change "Click", "Double click" & "Long press".

9. Go to & choose "Click".

10. Go to "App".

11. Choose "FireStarter/AppStarter" or "Kodi" or "SPMC" or "MrMC". Depending on your taste.

12. Now your "Click " should show the icon of the App you choose.

13. Now go down to "Double click".

14. In my case I choose to go "Home" when ever I "Double click". You can choose something else.
    ( I was not able to choose/find "Settings" like we could before. Might be a FW bug. Wonder if that got fix on the latest update.)

15. You should see the icon of what ever you choose for your "Double click". I decided to leave the long press as default.

16. Now go up to "Home".

17. Now long press "OK/Enter" on "Home" until you get to the check box menu.

18. In the check box menu choose "Enable".

19. You will now see the a check in the checkbox for "Home".

20. Hit back one time to go back to the main menu.

21. On the main menu. Go to "Keys" & long press until the checkbox menu shows up.

22. Then choose "Enable".

23. You should now see a check in the "Keys" checkbox & you should see a small popup letting you know that "Key control on" is activated.

Congrats. You now have a FireStarter/AppStarter auto-starting at bootup. And you have full control over your Home button.

I only tried this with AppStarter so there might be some minor tweaks that need to be done with FireStarter or Kodi or SPMC or MrMC but they should be minor. Let us know how it goes for you'll.

Thanks to @SimLynks post here for clarifying that the Pro version is needed to follow this walk-thru. He did mention an option to use his [TOTAL MOD] Playing With Fire directions on how to disable the default FireTV launcher. I myself prefer to just pay the $1.99 for the Pro version. But you do have a choice.
    @Y314K Great work on this guide how to configure some of the more detailed features of this awesome Xposed Mod.

However this guide specifically uses "More Triggers" which IS a Pro-Only feature. Users can accomplish a similar task by following parts of my info on this module over in the Playing with Fire MOD thread, but would need to disable the default FireTV launcher instead of using the Pro-Only Triggers feature.

I do agree that Jozein deserves some money for this awesome Module, but there are definitely a large majority of users who will refuse to pay for basically anything (at least until they try the free version and then realize they want "more" so pay for pro). You might want to consider doing a separate section on how to do this using the free only features, just a thought.

Also I'd recommend suggesting users add in the "running apps list" to Home Double Click or Home Long Press, so that they get access to the Task Switcher built into this Module. Definitely one of my favorite features from XEdge that was missing from FireOS.
    I'm going to show my noobness and ask a couple of questions as Y314K seems to be very generous with his time. I'd like to use the Pro edition so do I purchase it on Google Play and then get the apk and sideload it onto the Fire Stick? Will that work?

Also I installed Xposed Installer and the regular edition of Xposed Edge. I flashed the framework with TWRP however when I select modules in Xposed Installer I can't seem to enable Xposed Edge. There's a checkbox at the far right but I can't figure out how to check it!! I've tried single clicks and long button presses on the remote but no joy in getting a little tick! :) Thanks for any help!
    Yes, you should be able to able to buy the Pro version on your Android phone/tablet & then sideload it to your FireTV device using an app like Apps2Fire or your preferred app transferring app.

As for checking the box in the XPosed Manager. You will need to use one of the different pay/free mouse apps one can install on a phone or tablet for mouse control. One of the free ones is CetusPlay. I prefer the paid mouse toggle app. Since after the install. You don't need your phone unless there is an update of the App. You could also use a Bluetooth mouse or USB mouse if you have a FTV Box or OTG on your stick.
    I'm just reading through out turtial and one says to install xposedinstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk amd the other says to use xposedinstaller_3.1.1.apk file.
    Which one should I use?
    Both, let me explain. Like I mentioned before. Using XPosed consist of 3 different parts. And need to be installed in the following order. XPosed Framework, XPosedInstaller aka Manager & XPosed Modules. The last two are APK's & are installed from FireOS 5 like any other App. The frame work can only be install thru TWRP on FTV(S)'s.

1. Install correct version of XPosed Framework thru TWRP like the guides tell you.

2. Install Installer aka in our case we only use it as Manager. This is installed like an App.

3. Install the XPosed Modules you wish to run. This are also installed like Apps.

Any ?'s...
    THX for your post about your experience with xposed-edge on a FireTV device.
    @Y314K
    Did you think we can bring this up to run with xposed-edge and find a cool input for the remote? :D
    https://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/firesound-volume-control-usb-audio-t3356142

Sadly the developer had no time to answer support question for paying supporters like me :(

I had some issues on my FireTV box gen1 mit FireOS rbox bueller 5.2.6.0_r1.

For example what is not working: Delay funktion is not working. When I put a delay object into a multi-action it dont work. He allways ignores it. I need to create if-ELSE object with a delay in this object and an "1 = 1" condition.
    Trying to use the shell function with "sleep %integer%" does not work.

@jozein
    We hope you can spend some time for paying Amazon FireTV users like us! We had no problem to spend 2€ for your app to get some features but it would be really nice if you can spend FireTV users some love. Here are some points in my opinion, woch would be great to try to support on a Amazon-FireTv device:

-Could you please add an option that app can update itself on a FireTV. We had no google_play store on a FireTV device and in future we need allways to update the app manually, by sideloading it.

-We really wanna use your "Floating widget" option to show a widget from an app on our FireTV's.
    I got allways that error message when I try to add the widget: "Attempt to invoke virtual method 'int android.content.Intent.getIntExtra(java.lang.String,int)' on a null object reference". You got a logcat from me in my last e-mail.

-It would be very usefull when the Toast had an option how long it should be showed. Sometimes I had a big text and the toas is going to fast away.
    The other problems with toast-object is that the later processes in a multi-action does not wait for finished toasts.
    If I had 1 toast-text in a multi-action and 2 apps to start followed by another toast and the end, the multi-process gona show toast1, start the 2 apps, show toast2. A opton "wait for process" would be nice.

-Voice does not work with the device because there are no standart google libs. But alexa can speak. I think this should be possible on a Amazon device. You got a logcat from me in my last e-mail.
    I speak 2 times into the mic and tell the device (alexa?) that it/she should say "hello" and "huhu". I hope you can see something.

-A chance would be usefull to create simple dialog-boxes with Yes / No options and a specifix text field in the header. For example I wanna create a sheduled dialog-box with the text:
    "The device is going to be shutdown, would you like to abort it?"
    Options: Yes | No (countdown from a choosen integer-number, if no choise it os choosen by-no-reaction)

-When I start an if-else object with a time-period question on Boot-Complete, it seems your app need some time to find the real time or the FireTV update the device-time a little bit after startup with the real GMT-time. This results in wrong else-then reactions. Perhaps it could be usefull when you app saved the +hours or -hours to the app settings when the app first started.

-My last point is a really big wish fore the future. If it could be possible with your app to record an action in an app to reproduce it, this could be really really usefull.
    Inputs are cool but it would be more cool if your app can handle in-app inputs. I wanna emulate to start an live stream in app of an local tv provider. Actually I did this by open the app and let your app do: 1 right, 1 down, 1 enter. This is working, but just as long the app had the object on the same place. If it could be possible to directly start this process within the app and your edge-app could help with that, it would be awesome.

Greetings by Idijt