[REF] *Blackstone Hints & Tips* - Things you may not have known. UPDATED 30th July.

Search This thread

dhatw

Jun 11, 2008
Toronto
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but I discovered that while in contacts if you slide your finger from the bottom of the screen up (on the alphabet list on the right of the screen) the first contact for the letter that you stopped on appears at the top of the screen. But if you scroll from the top down the contact letter you stoped on starts at the bottom of the screen. This is in refference to #8 on the list.

Chris Cross

Nov 29, 2008
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but I discovered that while in contacts if you slide your finger from the bottom of the screen up (on the alphabet list on the right of the screen) the first contact for the letter that you stopped on appears at the top of the screen. But if you scroll from the top down the contact letter you stoped on starts at the bottom of the screen. This is in refference to #8 on the list.

Cool! I hadn't realized that. Thanks for the tip. :) I think a lot people will be glad to read that.

EDIT: I added it to the Wiki list. (Tip Nr. 44)

Last edited:

AllTheWay

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 3, 2007
Folsom, California
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3

14. Protect Screen from Breaking
Always carry the phone in your pocket with the screen facing your body to protect the glass from accidental external jolts/pressure.

When I received my HD it clearly stated on the screen that when you are sitting down to not have the phone in your front pocket to avoid constant pressure against the screen.

I guess it depends how tight you wear your pants.

tboy2000

Oct 21, 2006
London
Huawei Mate 20
Huawei Mate 20 X
I should clarify myself and mean inside jacket pocket or jacket pocket - not pants pocket. Will alter the entry soon :) However having said that I do sometime put my HD in my back trouser pocket and sit down. Guess I am lucky :)

Cheeze[iT]

Dec 4, 2008
Dallas, Tx
I don't know if this has been asked/discussed but when in a call and you get another, is there a way to drop active call and answer incoming call?

ez2remember

Nov 4, 2008
Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread but to get 5MP instead of 4MP you must switch off Widescreen in Advanced Menu. :)

xiuhan83

Dec 13, 2008
does anyone know how to display album art on the tf3d..i tried putting a picture and rename it to folder.jpg just like the one of the default songs that came with the phone. but it does not work. many thanks in advance

Chris Cross

Nov 29, 2008
does anyone know how to display album art on the tf3d..i tried putting a picture and rename it to folder.jpg just like the one of the default songs that came with the phone. but it does not work. many thanks in advance

I assume there are other ways of doing it, but I always make sure that cover art is embedded into every single mp3 file I have. That way, no matter where that file goes, every media player will recognize the cover art automatically (not just for your Touch HD).

I use the free AudioShell right-menu extension. There are lots of other programs to do this. Just google "embed cover art in mp3". But make sure that it actually embeds the picture into each file. Some programs simply associate the picture to a file, but if you use the file somewhere else, you don't have the picture any more.

EDIT:
Also, keep in mind that when you embed the cover art into an mp3 file, you will increase the size of that file by the amount of the picture. I usually have pictures no larger than 100 KB or so. Some people don't want anything bigger than about 20 KB. Also a pixel size of 500x500 is a good all-around size and often descent enough to view on your PC too. Of course for a mobile device a much smaller picture would suffice.

Last edited:

Mark One

Mar 11, 2005
Cool! I hadn't realized that. Thanks for the tip. :) I think a lot people will be glad to read that.

EDIT: I added it to the Wiki list. (Tip Nr. 44)

Pls clarify for my stupidity - if I go to people in tf3d and click All People I get taken to "Contacts". But I do not have a vertical alphabetical list at the side - I have a horizontal "#bc | cde | fgh" etc list at the top. Same if I go >Programs > Contacts.

I do recall seeing the contacts list you describe at some point (though can't recall if on this device) can you help me get back to it? Tnx.

Chris Cross

Nov 29, 2008
Pls clarify for my stupidity - if I go to people in tf3d and click All People I get taken to "Contacts". But I do not have a vertical alphabetical list at the side - I have a horizontal "#bc | cde | fgh" etc list at the top. Same if I go >Programs > Contacts.

I do recall seeing the contacts list you describe at some point (though can't recall if on this device) can you help me get back to it? Tnx.

I posted some pictures of what it should look like. You can also see that when I slide in an upward direction on that bar and stop on "M" then the "M" appears in the middle (until I let go) and the first contact starting with "M" is at the top of the list. If I slide downward and stop at "M", then the first contact starting with "M" will be at the bottom of the list.

If you don't have that bar, I don't know how you can get it back (other than the obvious hard reset). Maybe someone else here knows how or what might have caused it. Or if not, then start a new thread in the Blackstone section and call it something like "I lost the alphabet bar in my contacts list".

Attachments

• Contacts.jpg
    Contacts.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 159

Mark One

Mar 11, 2005
Mine seems to be "old style" :)

Any idea how this has happened?

Soz for crappy ss btw.

Attachments

• m1ss.JPG
    m1ss.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 168

^Rook

Dec 13, 2008
near Utrecht
Hi,

If you don't have that bar, I don't know how you can get it back

Any idea how this has happened?

In your contacts-list click on <Menu> then <Options>. The first option there is called "Show alphabetical index". When this option is DISabled you get the bar on the right side of the screen, when it is ENabled you get an index at the top of the screen ("old style").

Hope this helps :cool:

Regards,

Rolf

Last edited:

Mark One

Mar 11, 2005
Genius - that's got it.

Jeeze, thought I knew WM inside out from iPaq to Trinity (from user perspective) till I started tuning up my HD - a new option buried in a third party app round every corner.

Thanks a lot Rook.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    53. Set MP3 as a Ringtone
    In Windows Explorer, you can right click an mp3 file and choose to set it as a ringtone.

54. Improve Speed Access of Micro SD Card
    Most Micro SD cards come already formatted as FAT 32 using 32kb clusters. To speed up your Micro SD access, reformat your Micro SD card to use 64kb clusters instead of 32kb clusters (FAT 32 remains the same). Warning: formatting will permanently erase all data on your Micro SD card so be sure to copy all data on it to your PC and the copy them back again after the format. You can use SoftWinter's StorageTools app to reformat the card.

55. Use Titles Instead of URLs for Opera Bookmarks
    When adding and saving a new bookmark in Opera, be sure to let the web page fully load and THEN save it as a bookmark. Doing so, your bookmark will use the friendly title name for the web page. If you add a bookmark while the page is still loading, your bookmark will be using the url address as your bookmark's title.

56. Increase Frame Rate of Camera
    If you want to increase the FPS of the camera to speed up picture processing, just turn down the brightness to -1.5 or -2.0.

57. Increase Wrting Space in SMS
    Go to this site: http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm and download the 'arm/xscale/pxa'.cab file. Go into Explorer and run the cab file from wherever you saved it, and install it. Now go to Start > Programs and run 'Total Commander' that you just installed. Open the directory 'Windows' and scroll down to find 'thread_sms.htm'. With 'thread_sms.htm' highlighted click 'File' then 'Edit'. Scroll down through the file until you find the line
    '<Inbox:content id="COMPOSESUBJECT" width="98%" height=35'
    Change the value for height from 35 to 70 and then click 'File' then 'Save'. Soft reset the phone and your space for typing a message should be bigger.

58. Increase Speed and Fix Lag of Keyboard Tapping
    Use a registry editor to make the following changes. Go to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Keybd
    Find "InitialDelay"=dword: dec - change to 775
    Find "RepeatRate"=dword: dec - change to 23
    Also set the suggested words to a lower number such as 0 and disable auto-correction of words. Now you should no longer hvae misspleled wrods. :)

59. Increase Resolution of Panoramic Photos
    By default, panoramic photos are less than 1 mp. This registry tweak increases resolution to about 7 mp.
    Go to: HKLM/Software/HTC/Camera/P3
    Adjust MainCamCaptSize to 1024 and MainCamSupportCaptSize to 1744. Soft reset.

60. Quick Access to Manila Alarm Page
    You can go direct to the Alarm page from the Manila Home screen by tapping the alarm info text in the lower right corner below the flip clock.

61. How to Calibrate Screen if Stylus Can't Navigate the OS
    To align screen if it is not usable, press and hold Vol Up and Vol Down buttons together and tap the screen. You are now automatically taken to the screen calibration screen.

62. Improve Suggested T9 Dictionary With Custom Words
    The Blackstone has a very useful hidden application in the Windows directory. You need to unhide hidden system and Rom files in order to find it and you can do this by using a 3rd party file explorer such as 'Resco File Explorer'. Find the file "eT9MyWords.exe" in the Windows directory and add a shortcut to this file in your Windows/Start Menu folder.

When in the application, add the most common words you use when using the keypad such as names, locations, user names, email addresses and other words not common in the standard T9 dictionary. For example if you are based in London, UK you could add the following locations:

Leicester, Piccadilly, Tottenham, Soho, Charring, Euston, Trafalgar, Clapham

and words such as BRB, DVD, coz, lol, xoxo, username@hotmail.com, ciao, etc.

63. Quick Access to Last Manila Tab
    Go direct to the last tab of Manila by flicking towards the right anywhere on the screen above the tabbed scroll bar

64. Add Favicons to your Opera Bookmarks
    Make sure a bookmarked web page is fully loaded and save and overwrite your existing bookmark with the same title to also save the favicon icon for that bookmark. This even works with pre-installed bookmarks. Just save as the same bookmark title. You can only see the icons when accessing the bookmark page through Opera and not through Manila.

* Latest update: Added entries 60-64

MOD Edit HDuser
    All entries up to number 52 have now been added to wiki
    Probably gone unnoticed because of the new thread:

Take a tiny drill, remove the backcover from the Touch HD
    and drill a tiny hole in the backcover on the exact spot where the reset button is.
    Re-attach the backcover on your HD.
    Use a paperclip everytime you need to reset your device.
    Works like a charm, no hassle of removing the backcover anymore.
    Don't understand why HTC didn't do that.....

Or install the HD Tweaks utility. The latest version also provides a HD Soft reset option in your start menu. No need to drill anything.
    Take a tiny drill, remove the backcover from the Touch HD
    and drill a tiny hole in the backcover on the exact spot where the reset button is.
    Re-attach the backcover on your HD.
    Use a paperclip everytime you need to reset your device.
    Works like a charm, no hassle of removing the backcover anymore.
    Don't understand why HTC didn't do that.....

HTC doesn't do that because they think that Diamond user use it too many time (so they need to use it)
    On HD their rom are really stable, so why have a reset button when concurrent doesn't have it ? it's a proof of weakness.
    So just hide it :)