Nandroid v2.0 - Full NAND backup and restore tool (tried and tested!)

Search This thread

tlamb2

Jul 7, 2007
how to install nandroid not to clear of instructions

people must think we are experts at this and its impossible to find basic info like installing nandroid this is all the instructions they give on page 1

Just boot your phone in recovery mode with the correct recovery.img (one that has adb shell as root + busybox installed with symlinks to tar, md5sum etc) and connect it to your pc/laptop/server. Then run the nandroid.sh script. If something is wrong or missing, it will tell you.

now those are not very clear how about a step by step :eek:

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
This thread came around before better recoveries were ever made. If you are using a g1 (dream) and it is rooted, chances are you have a custom recovery that will perform nandroid backups and restores with the click of a button.
If you need help with this just ask, if you are merely complaining about this guide just realize this is what had to be done when androids first hit the market but no longer

jagdeepmarahar

Oct 10, 2012
restore nandroid backup of xolo q700

Hey bro i make nandroid backup of my stock rom on xolo q700 but after sometime I bricked my ph trying to swap sd cards now I am unable to restore it as in recovery mode error shows can't mount sd card...can you help me to restore it using pc please I'll be very thankful to you

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
There are multiple ways to restore nandroids other than through recovery, but I know nothing about your phone.
Sdcard does not work at all?
Do you have adb access?
Does your bootloader support fastboot?
What type of file system was used to create your backup? Ext, yaffs2, tar, win?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium

jagdeepmarahar

Oct 10, 2012
xolo q700

There are multiple ways to restore nandroids other than through recovery, but I know nothing about your phone.
Sdcard does not work at all?
Do you have adb access?
Does your bootloader support fastboot?
What type of file system was used to create your backup? Ext, yaffs2, tar, win?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium
yes sdcard works
don't know about adb acess and fastboot
file system used to create backup are tar and dup

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Can You boot into os at all? flash a new ROM at all?
if you connect to PC via USB when in Recovery will PC recognize SDcard?
tar backups will need to be changed more than likely but not sure, as again i know nothing about your phone.
I did a quick google search "xolo q700 xda" and it appears you dont have a dedicated forum but there are some threads started
I can try to help you but i would suggest visiting one of those threads as these people have your phone and probably will be more help

jagdeepmarahar

Oct 10, 2012
Can You boot into os at all? flash a new ROM at all?
if you connect to PC via USB when in Recovery will PC recognize SDcard?
tar backups will need to be changed more than likely but not sure, as again i know nothing about your phone.
I did a quick google search "xolo q700 xda" and it appears you dont have a dedicated forum but there are some threads started
I can try to help you but i would suggest visiting one of those threads as these people have your phone and probably will be more help

no i'm not able to boot into os
when in recovery pc recognize sd by mounting the sd card
there is no rom available for my phone but i have nandroid backup of my os but it is in ext4 format and i dont know how to make it a cwm flashable zip file as restore of nandroid backup from recovery not working

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
so no rom installed, no os on phone... If you have adb access i can make you a flashable zip
I would need the contents of your backup and a list of mount points for phone... are you sure no one has made a flashable zip for your phone yet? did you look through the xda posts?
....Im not seeing any... my guess is you recovery isnt optimized correctly, and when trying to restore the backup it looks for the wrong partition
Do you know how to set up adb? It looks like to install cwm on your phone you needed drivers, i assume this will work for adb.
open a shell and type
mount
then give me the output

jagdeepmarahar

Oct 10, 2012
so no rom installed, no os on phone... If you have adb access i can make you a flashable zip
I would need the contents of your backup and a list of mount points for phone... are you sure no one has made a flashable zip for your phone yet? did you look through the xda posts?
....Im not seeing any... my guess is you recovery isnt optimized correctly, and when trying to restore the backup it looks for the wrong partition
Do you know how to set up adb? It looks like to install cwm on your phone you needed drivers, i assume this will work for adb.
open a shell and type
mount
then give me the output

sorry i dont know how to set up adb could you guide me to do this

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
well i dont have time right now, follow this guide i made on fastboot, the setup works the same for adb
also i see in the threads someone with your phone sucessfully flashed MIUI 5 for the XoloQ800, a quick search gave me THIS LINK
If you can confirm the flash is safe i can just use the information on that rom to fix up your nandroid to be flashed (hopefully) or who knows if it works you may like it and want to keep it!

jagdeepmarahar

Oct 10, 2012
well i dont have time right now, follow this guide i made on fastboot, the setup works the same for adb
also i see in the threads someone with your phone sucessfully flashed MIUI 5 for the XoloQ800, a quick search gave me THIS LINK
If you can confirm the flash is safe i can just use the information on that rom to fix up your nandroid to be flashed (hopefully) or who knows if it works you may like it and want to keep it!

i have installed custom rom for xolo q800 on xolo q700 and now my device is totaly gone and not even booting into recovery.i reinstalled stock and custom recovery both but nothing happens now i gave my phone to service centre and hope it will be fixed soon......anyways thanks for your help bro..

mke1

Mar 2, 2014
I have two I527 phones. Both are rooted.
I know I can use my backup pro or Titanium to back up and restore the apps and their settings.. but...
How do I make a mirror copy of one phone onto the other - meaning - I want to be able to copy the entire set up - including home page and all the pages.. So that they would have identical screen configuration - all configurations actually.. so that I can swap the sim card and SD card to swap between phones.
I am seeking a easy to use solution - using a windows computer.
I would be happy to buy the software, if there is any such, for sale.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    * What is Nandroid Backup v2.0?
    Nandroid Backup is a set of tools and a script that will enable anyone who has root on their G1 and has the engineering/dev spl bootloader [1] (or has a dev phone) + a recovery image with busybox and adbd running as root [2] to make full system backups. These can then be restored using the fastboot [3] commandline tool and your phone in SPL/bootloader mode (hold camera + power). This allows you to create regular backups of your entire phones NAND flash so that you can restore a backup when something breaks. Its backup method works on a level that allows you to completely break, wipe or corrupt any or all partitions and still restore the phone to a working state within a few minutes. This works great for those who use their G1 for normal activities but also want to test their ideas which might break the phone, or when not having an extra G1 to keep purely as a development phone.

* Requirements for use
    - Android G1 phone in recovery mode with busybox installed, including appropriate symlinks to at least tar and md5sum, as well as 'adb shell' support running as root. I recommend using JesusFreke US RC30 or UK RC8 v1.2 recovery image. You can flash the RC30 v1.2 recovery.img on your G1 if you don't want to bother constructing your own image. Of course you are free to use your own recovery image and it will work if you set it up correctly.
    - dump_image-arm and mkyaffs2image|mkyaffs2image-$ARCH compiled in the current dir, as well as root on a linux/mac (POSIX) machine for constructing system and data images. root is required because the uid, gid and file permissions need to be preserved while extracting and creating the yaffs2 images. You are free to run the script as a normal user and then run the appropriate commands yourself as root; the commands are printed when you run the script as a regular user.

If you don't trust the provided binaries, you are free to compile them yourself. The source for the tools are included. For dump_image, edit nandtools/android-imagetools/Makefile so that you use the proper cross compiling gcc. For mkyaffs2img, just running make in tartools/yaffs2/utils/ should give you a binary. You are on your own in getting stuff compiled, but it should be easy to figure out from the Makefile.

* How to use this (the easy part)
    Just boot your phone in recovery mode with the correct recovery.img (one that has adb shell as root + busybox installed with symlinks to tar, md5sum etc) and connect it to your pc/laptop/server. Then run the nandroid.sh script. If something is wrong or missing, it will tell you.

* What about restore?
    If you have the dev phone or have root on the G1 and flashed the engineering/dev bootloader, then you can power on your phone while holding camera to get into the bootloader/SPL. It should then show some androids on skateboards (if not, you don't have the engineering/dev bootloader). Plug in your USB cable and push back until it says FASTBOOT instead of Serial0. Now you can fire up fastboot flash {partition} {file.img}.
    Fastboot itself is part of the android SDK. If you download and compile your own mydroid build, it should sit in mydroid/out/host/linux-x86/bin/fastboot Perhaps in a future version I'll include a restore script, but for now I don't see the need.
    One tip, if you are in fastboot mode on your phone and 'fastboot devices' doesn't show anything, try as root. You might need to edit your udev setup to allow your user to access the phone's usb device (which is different from the one you're in when in recovery or normal boot).

* Where's the source?
    Sources are included. They are copies of the Android sources with various changes mostly made by Brainaid.
    Everything in the zip is also also available through subversion:

svn co http://svn.infernix.net/nandroid/

Note that I DO NOT recommend checking out the latest revision unless you know damn well what you are doing. No guarantees if you play with fire. At the very least do diff against the latest released version.

* Credits
    Bash script hacked together by infernix.
    dump_image adapted from flash_image and extended by Brainaid.
    Original mtdutils source and mkyaffs2image source by Google.

[1] http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=455860
    [2] http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=443713
    [3] http://www.gotontheinter.net/fastboot

DOWNLOAD HERE or:
    wget http://dx.infernix.net/nandroid-2.0.zip
    Originally Posted by trmacdonal

How to Restore your phone on a Windows PC using a Nandroid backup

I am going to assume you already have a Nandroid backup created on your SD card using JF 1.31's recovery Alt-B feature. The backup will create a folder called nandroid on your SD.

What you need:
    The Android SDK:
    Fastboot Windows Binary in this post:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=3083753&postcount=1
    From your Nandroid backup you need three files:
    data.img
    system.img
    boot.img

Steps to restore your phone
    1) Put the files Adb and AdbWinApi.dll from the tools folder in the Android SDK into C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder on your PC. Substitute the correct drive letter if windows is not installed on you C: drive
    2) Put the Windows Fastboot.exe into the C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder on your PC
    3) Create a folder on the C: drive of your PC called android. The path should be C:\Android.
    4) Copy the Nandroid backup files data.img, system.img, and boot.img from your SD card to the folder called Android you created by mounting your SD card as removable disk.
    5) Unplug the USB cord and power off your phone
    6) Power up your phone by holding CAMERA+POWER, you should see three androids on skateboards. If you don't see this go install the Engineering boot loader
    7) Plug the USB cord back into your phone and press back. The screen on your phone should say fastboot.
    8) Make sure your pc is using the correct driver. Open the device manager on your pc. It is helpfull to have all other USB storage devices besides your phone unplugged for this part. Look for a USB Mass Storage device in the list of the USB devices. Right click on it and update the driver. Pick the option to browse for a driver on your pc. The driver is located in the Android SDK your downloaded in the folder called usb_driver. If this is done right you will now see a device called HTC Dream
    9) Press start, go to run and type cmd (If you are on Vista just type cmd in the search box and hit enter). The command prompt will pop up.
    10) Type cd C:\android
    then enter the following commands:

fastboot flash system system.img
    it will say Sending, then writing and say OKAY if it was successful
    then type
    fastboot flash userdata data.img
    wait for the second OKAY and type
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    wait for the second OKAY and type
    fastboot reboot

Your phone should now be restored exactly as you had it when it was backed up.