FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

{TUT} How to Odex your APKs.

347 posts
Thanks Meter: 175

Post Reply Email Thread
EDIT: I apologize for not including this earlier, but I have attached dexopt-wrapper.bin to the bottom of the post. Unzip and push it to system/bin. Then give it the correct permissions which are

Read Write Execute
--x----x------x
--x-----------x
--x-----------x

I haven't seen any tutorials on how to odex an apk sooooo i thought i'd throw one up on here.

Before we begin, of course, a great big thank you to strongsteve, mpcdata and Capp5050.

Well first things first make a nandroid backup in recovery. Once thats done follow these steps.

Apps needed if doing it on the phone:

1. Rom Toolbox (I have the paid version)
(You can also just download a terminal emulator)

2.Get both Root Explorer and Astro File Manager.

3.Use Root Explorer and go to either system/app or data/app (system/app is for system files{most if not ALL of these files are already odexed} data/app is where you can find the apps you've installed from the market{!!!-I'm pretty sure the launchers are in system/app-!!!})

4.Copy the app that you want to odex into a new folder on your internal sdcard named "app"(in case you mess up you don't get problems ;D)

5.I suggest you write down the name of the app so you don't have to go back and forth if you have horrible memory like me =D.

6.Open up your terminal emulator and type

dexopt-wrapper /sdcard/app/insert.name.of.file.here.apk /sdcard/app/insert.name.of.file.here.odex

7.Press enter and check that new folder you made named "app", you should see both the .apk and the .odex file.

8.Next long press the .apk file in Root Explorer and hit Open With and then select Astro File Manager. Astro should pop up with three choices, you're going to click Browse File.

9.In that file you should see "classes.dex". DELETE that file.

(NOTE: you MUST do this from within Astro because if you unzip it will break the signature and file will be usless{unless you can resign it})

10.Once done you exit Astro and head back into Root Explorer, copy the .apk and .odex files and put them back into the folder you got the original .apk from (system/app or data/app)

11.Once you put both of them in there you need to fix the permissions, simply long press on the files (one at a time ;D) and scroll down the pop-up menu to Permissions.

12.You will have three columns Read, Write and Execute along with three rows Owner, Group and Others.

Your Permissions should be (this is for both .apk and .odex)

Read Write Execute
--X----X-----------
--X----------------
--X----------------

(I've attached a picture below of what your permissions should look like)

13.Once your permissions match the above diagram hit OK and restart your phone and your app is officially ODEXED.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I'll be glad to help with as much as i can. =D

NOTE:To Everyone: If i forgot something PLEASE let me know.
: To Mods: If this shouldn't be here please move it (if unnecessary, delete it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1327440023235.jpg
Views:	2942
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	870791  
Attached Files
File Type: zip dexopt-wrapper.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.5 KB, 4280 views)
The Following 65 Users Say Thank You to mavd5831 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mavd5831 Ad-Free

25th January 2012, 02:49 AM |#2  
Account currently disabled
Flag Lakehills Texas
Thanks Meter: 454

Donate to Me
More
Alred hit yo button but just wanted to say thank you in writing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Indrid Cole For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Indrid Cole Ad-Free
25th January 2012, 05:48 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 574

More
....um one major thing...your gonna need dexopt-wrapper script in system/bin to be able to odex within the rom
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJPNut For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BigJPNut Ad-Free
25th January 2012, 07:15 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

Donate to Me
More
Was actually just wondering about that cause my script was in the rom already. Ill look into that in a few cause I'm going back to bed XD and you're welcome Cole I hope it has clear instructions XD

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mavd5831 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mavd5831 Ad-Free
25th January 2012, 07:49 AM |#5  
Recognized Themer
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 16,774

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJPNut

....um one major thing...your gonna need dexopt-wrapper script in system/bin to be able to odex within the rom

Dexopt-wrapper is a binary.. Not a script..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strongsteve For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift strongsteve Ad-Free
25th January 2012, 04:26 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 574

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongsteve

Dexopt-wrapper is a binary.. Not a script..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Thats what I meant lol. Thanks for the correction Steve....either way gotta have it.
26th January 2012, 06:36 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJPNut

Thats what I meant lol. Thanks for the correction Steve....either way gotta have it.

I updated the thread and it now includes where to put it and what permissions to give it. The file was also attached to the bottom of the thread.
30th January 2012, 05:28 AM |#8  
Flag Cleveland, OH
Thanks Meter: 39

Donate to Me
More
I've tried this a dozen times every which way and it always says no such location exists

30th January 2012, 10:26 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimal Carnage

I've tried this a dozen times every which way and it always says no such location exists

You have to create the app folder in sdcard =D

30th January 2012, 02:35 PM |#10  
Flag Cleveland, OH
Thanks Meter: 39

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavd5831

You have to create the app folder in sdcard =D

I've done that lol...and to be specific the folder is located at the root of they internal sdcard not external correct?
30th January 2012, 03:57 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimal Carnage

I've done that lol...and to be specific the folder is located at the root of they internal sdcard not external correct?

Yeah its on internal sdcard tell me what youre typing lol
Or gimme a screenshot
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apk, odex, tut

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)