wifi not working after updating rom

Search This thread

darkmagi83

Jun 13, 2010
Hello, I have a verizon s4 and am using the safestrap method. After updating the hyperdrive rom and flashing the MK2modules.zip safestrap says the install was successfull but wifi still doesn't work. My baseband is MJ7 and my build number is MK2. Also I did a factory reset before updating.

Initially, hyperdrive was installed on the stock rom which I thought might be the problem so I installed a backup that had the original samsung rom there and installed hyperdrive to rom slot 1. I tried to flash the MK2 modules again and wifi still doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

kfres39389

Nov 20, 2011
Albuquerque
You may want to try downloading the modules again. Worked like a charm for me with every rom I've installed. Did you install Hyperdrive into a rom slot other than stock? I can't flash much into the stock rom slot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Hello, I have a verizon s4 and am using the safestrap method. After updating the hyperdrive rom and flashing the MK2modules.zip safestrap says the install was successfull but wifi still doesn't work. My baseband is MJ7 and my build number is MK2. Also I did a factory reset before updating.

Initially, hyperdrive was installed on the stock rom which I thought might be the problem so I installed a backup that had the original samsung rom there and installed hyperdrive to rom slot 1. I tried to flash the MK2 modules again and wifi still doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't understand how you got to MJ7 baseband (radio/modem) and MK2 build. MK2 would have updated the baseband, normally.

However, there's a common problem that you may have run in to. The MK2 modules here are for the Verizon SCH-I545. There's no guarantee that those will work with any other vendor's phone.

What I'd do is to boot your stock slot, copy out the modules (/system/lib/modules), then flash them into the safestrap slot. I've posted instructions for doing this dozens of times already so I won't repeat.

pbman1953

Dec 1, 2012
Boston
I don't understand how you got to MJ7 baseband (radio/modem) and MK2 build. MK2 would have updated the baseband, normally.

However, there's a common problem that you may have run in to. The MK2 modules here are for the Verizon SCH-I545. There's no guarantee that those will work with any other vendor's phone.

What I'd do is to boot your stock slot, copy out the modules (/system/lib/modules), then flash them into the safestrap slot. I've posted instructions for doing this dozens of times already so I won't repeat.
''

I understand the annoyance , could you please provide a link to the steps

Thanks

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
I understand the annoyance , could you please provide a link to the steps

Here's what you do to recover your Wifi.

First, if you didn't overwrite the stock slot:
1. Boot your stock slot.
2. Copy the two files in /system/lib/modules to your EXTERNAL sdcard.
3. Boot the custom slot.
4. Use your favorite root file manager to mount /system read-write, then copy those files from the external sdcard into /system/lib/modules in your custom slot.
5. Reboot. Wifi should be back.

Second, if you flashed over the stock slot: :crying:
Well, you've written over the factory modules. You'll need to get them back.

A. Find someone with the same device as you that's unmodified and ask them for the contents of /system/lib/modules. Copy them to your /system/lib/modules.
B. Remove Safestrap and install a factory stock ROM. You can now use Safestrap to flash into a different slot and use the directions above.
If you INSIST on flashing over the factory ROM again (i.e. you haven't learned why that's a bad idea), then copy off the files to your external sdcard before you install Safestrap, then go to step 4 above after you finish flashing the custom ROM.
C. Take apart a factory ROM image and extract the contents of the /system/lib/modules directory onto your external sdcard. Go to step 4 above.

pbman1953

Dec 1, 2012
Boston
Here's what you do to recover your Wifi.

First, if you didn't overwrite the stock slot:
1. Boot your stock slot.
2. Copy the two files in /system/lib/modules to your EXTERNAL sdcard.
3. Boot the custom slot.
4. Use your favorite root file manager to mount /system read-write, then copy those files from the external sdcard into /system/lib/modules in your custom slot.
5. Reboot. Wifi should be back.

Second, if you flashed over the stock slot: :crying:
Well, you've written over the factory modules. You'll need to get them back.

A. Find someone with the same device as you that's unmodified and ask them for the contents of /system/lib/modules. Copy them to your /system/lib/modules.
B. Remove Safestrap and install a factory stock ROM. You can now use Safestrap to flash into a different slot and use the directions above.
If you INSIST on flashing over the factory ROM again (i.e. you haven't learned why that's a bad idea), then copy off the files to your external sdcard before you install Safestrap, then go to step 4 above after you finish flashing the custom ROM.
C. Take apart a factory ROM image and extract the contents of the /system/lib/modules directory onto your external sdcard. Go to step 4 above.

I performed the first set of steps but it failed and I checked the ES program had the explorer on

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Copied from the stock folder to ext sd card then switched to hyperdrive rom and pasted in the folder you wrote

If you just copied and pasted the permissions on the modules would have been rw-rw-rw-. The permissions on the modules need to be 0644. Copy and pasting them dooesnt change their permissions. You need to make sure the contents of the modules folder are owned by root (0) and have permissions set to rw-r--r--(0644).

Copy and paste the modules into /system/lib/modules as you did before then copy and paste the following into terminal line by line and dont modify the commands in any way:

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
cd /system/lib/modules
chmod 0644 *.ko
reboot

then hit enter to reboot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

pbman1953

Dec 1, 2012
Boston
If you just copied and pasted the permissions on the modules would have been rw-rw-rw-. The permissions on the modules need to be 0644. Copy and pasting them dooesnt change their permissions. You need to make sure the contents of the modules folder are owned by root (0) and have permissions set to rw-r--r--(0644).

Copy and paste the modules into /system/lib/modules as you did before then copy and paste the following into terminal line by line and dont modify the commands in any way:

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
cd /system/lib/modules
chmod 0644 *.ko
reboot

then hit enter to reboot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Just now I remembered that you have to switch on the permissions in tool area of the r/w . I did that then tried again and still failed. ES won't let me delete the old files or rename them.
I'm stuck because each time I try to copy to device/system/lib/modules it fails

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just now I remembered that you have to switch on the permissions in tool area of the r/w . I did that then tried again and still failed. ES won't let me delete the old files or rename them.
I'm stuck because each time I try to copy to device/system/lib/modules it fails

Ok. Then open terminal type the following first:

Code:
su
mount -o remount, rw /system

Then copy and paste the modules In that folder and run the commands I typed in my previous post.

pbman1953

Dec 1, 2012
Boston
Ok. Then open terminal type the following first:

Code:
su
mount -o remount, rw /system

Then copy and paste the modules In that folder and run the commands I typed in my previous post.

I got lucky!!

I rebooted a couple times, re-checked that the permissions in ES stuck in root explorer to all R/W's.

Then I went to device/ system/ lib/ modules and tried again to rename the existing 2 files and it worked. Then I copied in the 2 files need, rebooted for the last time and BINGO, working wifi

BIG thanks for all the time spent and help!!

pbman1953

Dec 1, 2012
Boston
I do have one weird issue.

On text receiving, I see the flash of the incoming message on the notificationbar but the response is not added to the conversation list

tangobar

Nov 1, 2010
Files in /system/lib/modules

I've hit the same problem here- I was getting so many self-restarts and hangs from my ROM slot that I wiped it and reinstalled, and now WiFi won't turn on.

I'm running MI1 still (was happy for a long time, not not so), SafeStrapped, and have installed Hyperdrive RLS10.2 and the jfltevzw-MI1-modules. Phone works, 4G works. WiFi will not turn on.

I tried wiping Dalvik and cache, rebooting, then fixing permissions via Hyperdrive tweaks, but no luck on getting it to work.

I've read through the thread, but here's the thing: When I look through Stock device/system/lib/module, there aren't two files, but about nineteen or so in there. Which ones am I looking for?

Sorry to resurrect this, but I figure it's better than starting a whole new thread to ask the same question.