[Q] So I'm rooted.. now what

Search This thread

Beerkan

Dec 4, 2010
Blighty
OK, while we wait for custom roms with full debloat, what can we do for ourselves now you have a device that is rooted.

I'd suggest a file manager that can explore root, such as Root Explorer. Get one and give it SU status.

Next download and install Adfree run it and install a new hosts file to get rid of ads etc.

After that, disable apps under Settings/General/ Application Manager, by clearing cache, clearing data, force stop and disable.

Now on to /system/apps to remove the bloat.

Except here's where I need help.

Which apps after you've disabled them can now be deleted from /system/apps. They don't necessarily have the same names that appear in Apps Manager in Settings/General/ Application Manager.
And what's safe to delete and what's not.

For instance

I want rid of Google Plus, Hang outs. Facebook, All Samsung bloatware except maybe touchwiz and magazine inferface and IR apps.

How do I do this safely.

How do I remove most of the bloat ware while still leaving the essentials?

Thanks in anticipation..

Last edited:

leatherneck6017

Oct 22, 2010
Portland, OR
I would recommend using Titanium Backup to "freeze" unwanted system apps. Most everything Samsung can be safely frozen. When you freeze an app, you're not uninstalling it, just disabling it. If you freeze something that causes unwanted results, simply unfreeze to return to full function.

Beerkan

Dec 4, 2010
Blighty
I would recommend using Titanium Backup to "freeze" unwanted system apps. Most everything Samsung can be safely frozen. When you freeze an app, you're not uninstalling it, just disabling it. If you freeze something that causes unwanted results, simply unfreeze to return to full function.
Understood, and indeed a very valid point. :good:

BUT, I'm looking to remove the excess bloatware solely so I can free up RAM. :cowboy:

Beerkan

Dec 4, 2010
Blighty
You're right.

I meant storage space. I want to free the storage space the bloatware fills up. For that you need to remove the app from /system/apps

DataGov

Jun 21, 2011
Is adfree better than adblock?

Sent from my SM-T520 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Peeodee

Dec 23, 2011
You're right.

I meant storage space. I want to free the storage space the bloatware fills up. For that you need to remove the app from /system/apps

Backup in titanium backup to your external sdcard then delete the program.

Sent from my SM-P600 using xda app-developers app