Questions about unlocking

Search This thread

MICH_**

Jul 5, 2013
hello, i am new to HTC One S and my device is completely stock now. I have hboot 2.15..

I want to lock the bootloader, install a custom recovery, s-off and install a custom rom.
I have some questions now:

1. Is it possible to install a 4.4.2 rom with this hboot?

2. Why do i need s-off for sense 5.x?

3. Why do i have to flash boot.img? And why do i not have to flash a boot.img with s-off? Where do i get the boot.img for the rom i flashed?

:)

808phone

Jan 28, 2014
hello, i am new to HTC One S and my device is completely stock now. I have hboot 2.15..

I want to lock the bootloader, install a custom recovery, s-off and install a custom rom.

3. Why do i have to flash boot.img? And why do i not have to flash a boot.img with s-off? Where do i get the boot.img for the rom i flashed?

1: I run CM11 which is 4.4.
2: Don't know but not sure if there is a 4.4 ROM with Sense 5.
3: The boot.img is in the ROM zip - just unzip it and the boot.img is there. When you are S-OFF the boot.img is flashed with the zip. Otherwise you have to do it manually if you are not S-OFF.

I am no expert but one thing I know - life got a lot easier being S-OFF with the HTC ONE S.

MICH_**

Jul 5, 2013
1: I run CM11 which is 4.4.
2: Don't know but not sure if there is a 4.4 ROM with Sense 5.
3: The boot.img is in the ROM zip - just unzip it and the boot.img is there. When you are S-OFF the boot.img is flashed with the zip. Otherwise you have to do it manually if you are not S-OFF.

I am no expert but one thing I know - life got a lot easier being S-OFF with the HTC ONE S.

Are you on hboot 2.15 too? Did you update your firmware?
No but there are sense 5.5 roms with android 4.3....

How did you get S-OFF? And which tutorial did you use to unlock etc?

Rapier

Forum Moderator
Staff member

Let's take one by one...

1. Yes. Currently only AOSP ROMs are with Android 4.4.2, there's no Sense based one (but it's been working on it)
2. Well, that's a tricky question...You don't need S-Off for sense 5.x BUT...only ROM with sense 5.5 is Liberty (by bilal_liberty). If you're not S-Off you can't flash radios. If you can't flash radios, you will not have HSPA/HSPA+ mobile data connection with that ROM (and probably with sense 6 and 4.4.2 ROM also). You will get maximum 3G (UMTS) mobile data with your current radio. On the other hand, if you decide to try an AOSP ROM, you won't have that problem there. You can be S-On and have everything working
3. You have to flash boot.img only if you're S-On. Maybe it's better if you read what S-On/S-Off means. On short, if you're S-On, some partitions are read only and you cannot write to them in recovery...most important the radio partition and the kernel/boot partition. So if you're S-On you can't flash the radio and you can't flash the kernel. Kernel has several components (I try to make a simple explanation not entering in the details): modules, ramdisk and the kernel itself. I'll take them one by one:
- modules: most are incorporated in the ROM and have the extension .so. These files are flashed on the device in the /system partition along with the ROM, in recovery. You don't need to be S-Off to have those installed
- ramdisk & kernel: they're both packed in that boot.img and they're generically referred to as "kernel". These are written in a special partition that is read-only for S-On devices while in recovery. Kernel partition is in write-mode only in fastboot. Therefore you must be S-Off to be able to write kernel from recovery OR, you have to write it from fastboot if you're S-On

So, when you flash a ROM ZIP, the install script writes the modules along with the rest of the ROM since those resides on the /system partition then tries to write also the boot.img. But in case you're S-On, it can't. So the only way to do it is from fastboot where you separately flash the boot.img

Now as I give you some info, take some time and read it (TWICE). Then take some time and look for the tutorials here. First thing you should do is to unlock your bootloader via HTC Dev site. Then you can install a recovery and make S-Off (I personally used for that Rumrunner but it's your call)

Before doing anything, install Android SDK and make sure it's properly installed and the drivers are working. You should have a functional ADB/fastboot for any of the above.

Last edited:

MICH_**

Jul 5, 2013
Let's take one by one...

1. Yes. Currently only AOSP ROMs are with Android 4.4.2, there's no Sense based one (but it's been working on it)
2. Well, that's a tricky question...You don't need S-Off for sense 5.x BUT...only ROM with sense 5.5 is Liberty (by bilal_liberty). If you're not S-Off you can't flash radios. If you can't flash radios, you will not have HSPA/HSPA+ mobile data connection with that ROM (and probably with sense 6 and 4.4.2 ROM also). You will get maximum 3G (UMTS) mobile data with your current radio. On the other hand, if you decide to try an AOSP ROM, you won't have that problem there. You can be S-On and have everything working
3. You have to flash boot.img only if you're S-On. Maybe it's better if you read what S-On/S-Off means. On short, if you're S-On, some partitions are read only and you cannot write to them in recovery...most important the radio partition and the kernel/boot partition. So if you're S-On you can't flash the radio and you can't flash the kernel. Kernel has several components (I try to make a simple explanation not entering in the details): modules, ramdisk and the kernel itself. I'll take them one by one:
- modules: most are incorporated in the ROM and have the extension .so. These files are flashed on the device in the /system partition along with the ROM, in recovery. You don't need to be S-Off to have those installed
- ramdisk & kernel: they're both packed in that boot.img and they're generically referred to as "kernel". These are written in a special partition that is read-only for S-On devices while in recovery. Kernel partition is in write-mode only in fastboot. Therefore you must be S-Off to be able to write kernel from recovery OR, you have to write it from fastboot if you're S-On

So, when you flash a ROM ZIP, the install script writes the modules along with the rest of the ROM since those resides on the /system partition then tries to write also the boot.img. But in case you're S-On, it can't. So the only way to do it is from fastboot where you separately flash the boot.img

Now as I give you some info, take some time and read it (TWICE). Then take some time and look for the tutorials here. First thing you should do is to unlock your bootloader via HTC Dev site. Then you can install a recovery and make S-Off (I personally used for that Rumrunner but it's your call)

Before doing anything, install Android SDK and make sure it's properly installed and the drivers are working. You should have a functional ADB/fastboot for any of the above.

2. So i have to update my firmware, right?

3. okay, i understood everything.. thank you :)

Why do i need the complete SDK? Doesn´t it work just with the adb and fastboot drivers?

Rapier

Forum Moderator
Staff member
2. So i have to update my firmware, right?

3. okay, i understood everything.. thank you :)

Why do i need the complete SDK? Doesn´t it work just with the adb and fastboot drivers?

You don't have to upgrade the firmware since you're on the latest official one. 2.16 is an unofficial leaked firmware and you only need it if you want to flash MaximusHD or MagioRom

You don't need entire SDK but I thought it's easier since is an install package for that. Of course, if you don't build for Android, you don't need the libraries, just the tools

Sent from nowhere over the air...

MICH_**

Jul 5, 2013
You don't have to upgrade the firmware since you're on the latest official one. 2.16 is an unofficial leaked firmware and you only need it if you want to flash MaximusHD or MagioRom

You don't need entire SDK but I thought it's easier since is an install package for that. Of course, if you don't build for Android, you don't need the libraries, just the tools

Sent from nowhere over the air...

could you give me a good tutorial for unlocking the bootloader, s-off, flash this leaked firmware and super-CID please? :)

Okay, i unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP, flashed a custom rom and now i am trying to get s-off...

Last edited:

Rapier

Forum Moderator
Staff member
could you give me a good tutorial for unlocking the bootloader, s-off, flash this leaked firmware and super-CID please? :)

Okay, i unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP, flashed a custom rom and now i am trying to get s-off...
For firmware ZIPs you can flash in recovery AFTER you make S-Off, check HERE. For S-Off I used Rumrunner cause it seems to me much easier and without so many steps...it's something like a one-click operation

MICH_**

Jul 5, 2013
For firmware ZIPs you can flash in recovery AFTER you make S-Off, check HERE. For S-Off I used Rumrunner cause it seems to me much easier and without so many steps...it's something like a one-click operation

Rumrunner is running now :D

I will update my firmware tomorrow i think..

If i update the firmware with this tutorial from Maxiums 10.0 rom. Do i have hboot 2.16? Am i still able to run roms for 2.15 hboot?

Last edited:

Rapier

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Rumrunner is running now :D

I will update my firmware tomorrow i think..

If i update the firmware with this tutorial from Maxiums 10.0 rom. Do i have hboot 2.16? Am i still able to run roms for 2.15 hboot?
I didn't checked the MaximusHD tutorial but I strongly suggest you to just flash the firmware zip if you want to do an upgrade/downgrade of the firmware. Most tutorials assume you're initial S-Off and include also some steps for how to acquire this or going through RUUs.

OK..I've read the MaximusHD tutorial, it's pretty much identical with the one made by Flashalot...so the answer is YES, you can use it and after that you would have hboot 2.16. Please also note that a different recovery must be used with 2.16 ROMs. But you'll have that in the MaximusHD instructions as well

NO, you can't run or flash ROMs made for 2.15 firmware after doing this. You should downgrade the firmware to 2.15 first, by using the instructions and the firmware ZIP from the thread I've linked

MICH_**

Jul 5, 2013
I didn't checked the MaximusHD tutorial but I strongly suggest you to just flash the firmware zip if you want to do an upgrade/downgrade of the firmware. Most tutorials assume you're initial S-Off and include also some steps for how to acquire this or going through RUUs.

OK..I've read the MaximusHD tutorial, it's pretty much identical with the one made by Flashalot...so the answer is YES, you can use it and after that you would have hboot 2.16. Please also note that a different recovery must be used with 2.16 ROMs. But you'll have that in the MaximusHD instructions as well

NO, you can't run or flash ROMs made for 2.15 firmware after doing this. You should downgrade the firmware to 2.15 first, by using the instructions and the firmware ZIP from the thread I've linked

could you please give me a link to a recovery that is compatible with 2.16? TWRP would be perfect :)

After installing the new hboot i have still a rom for 2.15 running on my phone. does this work? Does updating the firmware wipe internal storage?

Why do some sense 5 roms work with hboot 2.15 and others not?

Last edited:

Rapier

Forum Moderator
Staff member
could you please give me a link to a recovery that is compatible with 2.16? TWRP would be perfect :)

After installing the new hboot i have still a rom for 2.15 running on my phone. does this work? Does updating the firmware wipe internal storage?

Oh...you like to ask soo many questions don't you? :) All these questions are already answered in the threads, why don't you check them?

The main difference between 2.15 and 2.16 hboot/firmware is the partition map. On 2.16 there is no separation between the sdcard and data and you get a single big space for both. This makes more space available to data and sdcard looks bigger (12 GB instead of 10 GB). That's a brief description not entering in details. ROMs made for 2.15 will work on 2.16 and the other way around BUT with issues. Mainly it is about the sdcard size that is not available at all or has an incorect size (48 MB instead of 12/10 GB). So even if your 2.15 ROM is working...try to check if the sdcard is mounted and what space you have on it

So all these being said, your understanding of the word "works" is different from the one of the devs. For them (or for anyone else), a "working" ROM does not mean only it boots, but it's also have all the parts available including sdcard mountable and available on it's entire space, not truncated to 48 MB or not mountable at all.

Now about why some sense 5 ROMs work with 2.15 and some don't. Because some ROMs are based on the leaked 2.16 firmware and those ROMs need the new partition map to properly work. The ones that are working on 2.15 are usually ports or builds made for the standard official HTC firmware.

Link for recoveries compatible with 2.16 hboot you can find in the OP of each 2.16 ROM

Reactions: MICH_**

MICH_**

Jul 5, 2013
Oh...you like to ask soo many questions don't you? :) All these questions are already answered in the threads, why don't you check them?

The main difference between 2.15 and 2.16 hboot/firmware is the partition map. On 2.16 there is no separation between the sdcard and data and you get a single big space for both. This makes more space available to data and sdcard looks bigger (12 GB instead of 10 GB). That's a brief description not entering in details. ROMs made for 2.15 will work on 2.16 and the other way around BUT with issues. Mainly it is about the sdcard size that is not available at all or has an incorect size (48 MB instead of 12/10 GB). So even if your 2.15 ROM is working...try to check if the sdcard is mounted and what space you have on it

So all these being said, your understanding of the word "works" is different from the one of the devs. For them (or for anyone else), a "working" ROM does not mean only it boots, but it's also have all the parts available including sdcard mountable and available on it's entire space, not truncated to 48 MB or not mountable at all.

Now about why some sense 5 ROMs work with 2.15 and some don't. Because some ROMs are based on the leaked 2.16 firmware and those ROMs need the new partition map to properly work. The ones that are working on 2.15 are usually ports or builds made for the standard official HTC firmware.

Link for recoveries compatible with 2.16 hboot you can find in the OP of each 2.16 ROM

now i have everything i wanted to know :D tanks :D
I think i will stay on 2.15 and install ViperOne S 3.1.3 now. This will work on my current setup, right?
I will update the radio. Should i just flash the one attached in the ViperOne S thread in recovery?

Rapier

Forum Moderator
Staff member
now i have everything i wanted to know :D tanks :D
I think i will stay on 2.15 and install ViperOne S 3.1.3 now. This will work on my current setup, right?
I will update the radio. Should i just flash the one attached in the ViperOne S thread in recovery?
Good choice, Viper is a fine ROM and close to the original since it's sense based...also has extra customization that the original ROM doesn't have.

For the radio, well I've answered to you in the Viper thread. I would advice not to flash another radio just now. Flash the ROM, play with it for a few days then decide. If you have no issues with signal reception, wifi and so on, you don't have real reasons to change it.

I had initially (when I bought the device) radio 1.06es (I think)...since then alot of newer versions came out including the 1.20 from the leaked 2.16 firmware and the newest 1.35a from the One XL. To be honest, after several days with each, I've switched back to 1.15 that was the best radio for me.

The only ROM for which you MUST flash a different radio will be Liberty by bilal_liberty. That is based on Android 4.3 and Sense 5.5 and the newest 1.35a radio is needed in order to get H/H+ (HSPA) mobile data connection. If you don't use that radio you'll get maximum 3G (UMTS) connection. The rest will work tho

808phone

Jan 28, 2014
I still don't understand why I had so many problems with Viper. Dropped calls, random reboots etc...
Once I got CM11 running - never looked back in terms of reliability.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.