Easy guide to root your tablet and keep your warranty

Search This thread

thunder141

Sep 21, 2010
Currently as far as I know there is no way to manually to root the marshmallow firmware. There are some builds here that are prerooted. I personally bought this tablet second hand with 5.1.1 on it, I installed the rootable lollipop firmware installed dual recovery and flashed the prerooted marshmallow firmware, which is all running fine, only thing is that custom recovery is not working on this firmware

Sent from my SM-G920F using XDA-Developers mobile app
TWRP is working on this rooted Firmware

Gesendet von meinem SGP511 mit Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

Please help. I've tried this but I'm stuck. It says "Waiting for Device." But my tablet is plugged in via the USB. I can view files in Computer but I can't get this install.bat to recognize that it's plugged in. My tablet is on and active.

My tablet is a Sony Xperia Z2, model SGP561
Android version 4.4.2 (I'd really like Marshmallow)
Build number 17.01.D.0.437
Hardware version: 1280-1946.1

Any help here?
Have you got the Popup to authorize the connection?

Gesendet von meinem SGP511 mit Tapatalk

nickbaker66

Nov 15, 2016
London
hi guys i am trying to root my SGP511 4.4.2 using this tool but getting the following message i have put tr.apk in the files folder where the batch files is and nothing installed tr.apk on my tablet click on let it rain and it says its routed but supersu cannot install the binary

Edit: all sorted ADB was not running like an idiot

Last edited:

danang1982

Jun 26, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
hi guys i am trying to root my SGP511 4.4.2 using this tool but getting the following message i have put tr.apk in the files folder where the batch files is and nothing installed tr.apk on my tablet click on let it rain and it says its routed but supersu cannot install the binary

Edit: all sorted ADB was not running like an idiot

looks like this method doesn't work on android MM

EOConnor25

Jan 8, 2017
Stupid.....

I'm not one for complaining, I usually try to muddle through something until I get it, but for the life of me? I cannot understand why the Sony Xperia z2 tablet won't boot into recovery mode. I don't have the slightest idea why there are all these posts about holding down the power button and the volume up control, which does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING regarding getting into the recovery menu.....it just sits there with a steady blue LED and won't boot up after that.....yeah.. I'm fed up with this device and will eventually get Linux on it and forsake these Android ROM's that seem to make you jump through hoops needlessly just to get something to work!

EOConnor25

Jan 8, 2017
Frustrated.....

Thanks for this info, but for the life of me I CAN'T get the tablet to boot into recovery mode!....I hold down the Power an Volume Up buttons, but it does nothing. Just causes three (3) quick buzzes with vibration then stays black with a (blue?) charging light. I have to hold down the Power button in order t oget it to boot up again, and when it does? it's back to normal, (no root) how can I install the root files without being able to boot up into a mode where I can access it? Totally frustrating, if I have my way?....I might trade this in for something a little more "boot-loader" friendly. Or else I'll just let it sit with its Android OS and use it for typical tablet usages.... :(

antsuaus

Oct 23, 2017
I get this error message when running the install.bat
"Waiting for towelzxperia to exploit...
error: only position independent executables (PIE) are supported."
How to fix it?
Xperia Z2 tablet sgp511
Android 6.0.1
Build 23.5.A.1.291

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I must write this guide because I spent yesterday 6 hours of doing all of following steps (together with 2 useless firmware flashes and other worthless stuff). Why? Because it was really complicated for someone who is not really familiar with all the names, definitions etc. I just wanted to have my tablet rooted, keep my warranty and use my external SD card without limitations. It is not easy but it is DIFFICULT to find these few steps on XDA forum in tens of topics with many information posts and garbage around.

Important thing is that you can do these steps WITHOUT loosing any data! (Which I lost yesterday because of my lacking information.)

Here we go (written without tablet around, so some things can be generalised):

I did it on Z2 Tablet 511, firmware .402 (no need to downgrade as I did at the beginning...)

1. Open up your device’s “Settings”. Now scroll to the bottom and tap “About phone” or “About tablet”. At the “About” screen, scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven times. Make sure you tap seven times. You will then see a notice that you are now a developer.
    2. Now you should have Developer options in the System settings. Go there, enable USB debugging.
    3. Again in Settings go to Security options and allow installations from Uknown source.
    4. Download Easy Root v5 here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53448680 (guide is there also)
    5. Download Backup TA v9.11 here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292598 (optional for backing up your system info if you will later unlock your phone, install new ROMs etc. But if you need just root, it is not necessary. But it is recommended so you can be sure that you can get your tablet to the default status when it was bought and you can make a complaint in case something else will break down.)
    6. Connect your tablet to your pc normally. Just have your tablet switched on and use USB cabel. Let it install all drivers.
    7. Run Easy Root v5 (install.bat) and your tablet will be rooted in few seconds
    8. For TA backup run Backup-TA.bat. Follow instructions and save your TA files. It will be created in the folder from which you run the applications. It is compressed in one file. Save it somewhere and keep it!
    9. Reboot
    10. If you want to use external card without limitations, install SD fix https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix

For common users who want to install apps which need root and do not want to install custom ROMs or do another tricky stuff this process is enough. Enjoy your tablet now .

There can be maybe some problems with drivers. Then you can try install PC Companion which should install everything for you. http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/pc-companion/

Another thing from @stress40 who had also problems rooting the tablet:

1) I used easy root tool (on windows with Android SDK installed, ADB drivers etc)
    2) extract easyroot v5 onto desktop (keeping extracted files together in a folder)
    3) download towelroot.apk and put in Files folder of towelroot
    4) reboot phone then plug in phone and double kick install.bat (so you get the ADB message on phone) and most importantly DON'T LET YOUR*PHONE*SCREEN*TURN*OFF (mine did so was stuck at waiting for phone but as soon as I turned it on it was fine) I was rooted in a few minutes after double clicking install.bat.
    I hate it when the whole OP is quoted.
    Thanks for your guide. So I don't need to unlock the bootloader? Are there any advantages of having an unlocked bootloader, if I gain root using your guide?

Unlocking your boot loader is only needed off you're going to flash non-stock roms like CM or kernels that require it. If you only need root, there's no need to unlock your bootloader.

Sent from my SGP311 using XDA Free mobile app
    Thanks a lot for this compilation of all the relevant steps!
    It makes things really easy as there is no more need for searching hundreds of postings :eek:

Would it be possible, to also have an "easy guide" for noobs, explaining how to go back to a stock unrooted tablet (in case you should need to send it in for warranty reasons)?

Thanks again!:D

There's really no need for that. As you will be sending your device back just use PC Companion to install the latest Sony rom. This will automagically do what you want.

Sent from my SGP311 using XDA Premium HD app
    Can someone please update this for Marshmallow?