[GUIDE][Update][Android CM Alpha 3] How to Install CM Alpha on Touchpad

Search This thread

krarvind

Jun 15, 2011
Saint John, NB
NOTE: I don't have a TP anymore, but i am pretty sure the installation instructions will be the same moving forward. If you are new follow the full guide, if you are already on one of the CM versions, skip to step 7 and replace the file with the current file.
Note: If you are already on CM Alpha 1/2.1 skip to step 7, if not you can follow the instructions below to install CM Alpha 3 from WebOS.

Alright, here is a step by step instruction on how to install CM Alpha 3 on Touchpad. I did notice there is a video guide but a text step by step might be useful for some. I have this installed and for Alpha release this is fantastic.

Pretty straightforward installation, but as always you follow this guide and flash at your own risk. Main thread for the CM port is here. Read whats working and whats not working there. If you have any questions, post it there. but read the known issues first, don't post know issues. This is just a guide.

Required:
1) PC ( windows, mac or linux) with working Internet
2) HP Touchpad ( obviously) and the usb cable that came with it.
3) Good Reading skills ( I am serious).
4) Read this guide twice if you have to.

Step 0:
Get your pre flash jitters out and think twice. This will root your device and hence your warranty will be void after the flash. If you still want to flash, back up your current HP touchpad. figure out which way is your volume up button ( you will need for step 4) and proceed to step 1

Step 1:
Make sure you have atleast 2GB of free space in your touchpad. Download the following files from here
1)Moboot bootloader for multi boot
2)CM Alpha 3
3)Clockwork Mod Recovery

Once done, go to step 2 below;

Step 2:
1)Acme Installer from here
2) HP WebOS SDK for windows, mac or linux
3) Follow the links above to install the full SDK or just the Novacom driver which is all that is required. If you are not sure, install the full sdk.
on to step 3 now.

Step 3:
1) Connect Touchpad to PC with the usb cable that came with it and select Usb Drive option.
2) Once the Touchpad pops up on your screen, create a folder called cminstall and put the files you downloaded in Step 1 there.
3) Eject/Safely remove touchpad from the pc, remove the USB cable from pc and shutdown touchpad, then go to step 4.

Step 4:
1) Do you know which way is your volume up button? if you are not sure then you are not paying attention to this guide. To figure out which way, boot to webOS, figure it out and shutdown.
2)Hold the volume up button and press power button simultaneously. You should see a white USB symbol.
3)Connect the USB cable back to pc and if the Novacom drivers were properly installed, the driver will be automatically detected and installed.

Step 5:
Almost there, time to install now.
Extract the Acme Installer you downloaded in Step 2 to your desktop or wherever you want. Open up cmd ( in windows) or terminal ( in linux or mac). cd to the directory where you just extracted your Acme Installer.zip and go to step 6 for install.

Step 6:
Now type this in the command prompt after you have done cd

novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller

NOTE: windows users might have to manually move the novacom.exe and/or AcmeInstaller into c:\programfiles\palm folder and run the above command from there.

and wait for it to install and boot into CyanogenMod. If your clockwork mod didn't get installed, go here for a fix.

Step 7:
Update from CM Alpha 1/ 2.1
1) Download CM Alpha 3 from here
2) Plug in your touchpad to PC, select copy usb files option
3) Transfer CM Alpha 3 zip file into the "sd card" of your touchpad when it pops up and disconnect.
4) Long press power button and select reboot, then recovery option.
5) Recommended but Optional ( I didn't): In CWM recovery, go to backup and storage, do a nandroid backup before updating, back to main cwm recovery, wipe cache and in advanced wipe dalvik cache.
6) In the CWM recovery meny, use your volume buttons and select install zip file from sd card, select zip file and select cm alpha 3 zip, then scroll down and say yes.
7) Reboot. To check if you are on alpha 3, go to settings, about tablet and mod version should be alpha3.

To install google market and google apps, go here

Have Fun. Thanks to the awesome CM team, we have android on touchpad.

NOTE: If you want to uninstall CM for whatever reason, download ACME uninstaller from here and run it like you did with ACME installer. This should work ( i haven't tried it though).

SOD( Sleep of Death): This is when touchpad goes to sleep and wouldn't wake up, don't panic. Doesn't happen often and I have never seen it since installing Alpha 2.1. Press and hold power and home button for 10 - 20 secs and your TP will reboot. One fix for this is to use no-frills cpu control or set cpu and set min cpu to 384Mhz.

Last edited:

krarvind

Jun 15, 2011
Saint John, NB
Good effort but you're going to get warned/banned by the mods for cross linking. They have to protect their domain you know. ;)

Cross linking? I linked directly to the other websites which host the files. Thats not allowed? If so, mods can delete this thread. Only trying to help. I don't see another thread for a guide here in this section unless i am blind :).

RavenSEAL

Apr 13, 2011
Tampa
I've followed all the steps exactly and I'm getting this:

The ACME files were extracted to my users folder.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 5,393

Breakthecycle2

Jun 7, 2009
NJ
I am getting the same error:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Damian>cd c:\Users\Damian\desktop

c:\Users\Damian\Desktop>novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller
'novacom' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

c:\Users\Damian\Desktop> novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller

c:\Users\Damian\Desktop>Acmeinstaller
'Acmeinstaller' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

c:\Users\Damian\Desktop>

I reinstalled Novacom and in device manager it's there and installed correctly.

krarvind

Jun 15, 2011
Saint John, NB
I am getting the same error:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Damian>cd c:\Users\Damian\desktop

c:\Users\Damian\Desktop> novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller

c:\Users\Damian\Desktop>Acmeinstaller
'Acmeinstaller' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

c:\Users\Damian\Desktop>

I reinstalled Novacom and in device manager it's there and installed correctly.

Sorry, are you saying when you reinstalled novacom everything worked? if not try moving ACME installer to the novacom directory and try from there.

Breakthecycle2

Jun 7, 2009
NJ
Any idea where they would be? I can't find them.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

That didnt work either.

RabbidHampster

Oct 30, 2008
Any idea where they would be? I can't find them.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

That didnt work either.

I had problems running it from desktop as well. got the same message you did. tried running it as admin and from c:\ to no avail. put acme in C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\ directory and it worked finally

Reactions: s1mpd1ddy

south69_dallas

Jun 18, 2010
im having problems within cmd, i get access denied anytime i run the novacom command, i also ran under an admin account and as administrator n have the same problem, i tried under safe mode and it couldnt connect to server so what do i do?

rizdog23

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
I am using a laptop using ubuntu 11.04 lts. I follow all of the steps 100% and yet when i do the novacom prompt in terminal it boots my touchpad yet never goes to the penguin screens or installs anything. It just stays on the HP logo untill i do the manual reboot by holding home and power. Any ideas?

krarvind

Jun 15, 2011
Saint John, NB
I am using a laptop using ubuntu 11.04 lts. I follow all of the steps 100% and yet when i do the novacom prompt in terminal it boots my touchpad yet never goes to the penguin screens or installs anything. It just stays on the HP logo untill i do the manual reboot by holding home and power. Any ideas?

did you install the sdk and the novacom driver like the linux link suggested? i have ubuntu 11.04 and the steps i described worked no problems. reinstall novacom drivers

rizdog23

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
i installed the driver but not the full sdk cuz i was told i did not need to. Can you maybe give me a break down of how things will look like on ubuntu strictly? Sorry if i seem like a noob or it is bothersome for you to have to reply. I greatly appreciate your help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: I don't have a TP anymore, but i am pretty sure the installation instructions will be the same moving forward. If you are new follow the full guide, if you are already on one of the CM versions, skip to step 7 and replace the file with the current file.
    Note: If you are already on CM Alpha 1/2.1 skip to step 7, if not you can follow the instructions below to install CM Alpha 3 from WebOS.

Alright, here is a step by step instruction on how to install CM Alpha 3 on Touchpad. I did notice there is a video guide but a text step by step might be useful for some. I have this installed and for Alpha release this is fantastic.

Pretty straightforward installation, but as always you follow this guide and flash at your own risk. Main thread for the CM port is here. Read whats working and whats not working there. If you have any questions, post it there. but read the known issues first, don't post know issues. This is just a guide.

Required:
    1) PC ( windows, mac or linux) with working Internet
    2) HP Touchpad ( obviously) and the usb cable that came with it.
    3) Good Reading skills ( I am serious).
    4) Read this guide twice if you have to.

Step 0:
    Get your pre flash jitters out and think twice. This will root your device and hence your warranty will be void after the flash. If you still want to flash, back up your current HP touchpad. figure out which way is your volume up button ( you will need for step 4) and proceed to step 1

Step 1:
    Make sure you have atleast 2GB of free space in your touchpad. Download the following files from here
    1)Moboot bootloader for multi boot
    2)CM Alpha 3
    3)Clockwork Mod Recovery

Once done, go to step 2 below;

Step 2:
    1)Acme Installer from here
    2) HP WebOS SDK for windows, mac or linux
    3) Follow the links above to install the full SDK or just the Novacom driver which is all that is required. If you are not sure, install the full sdk.
    on to step 3 now.

Step 3:
    1) Connect Touchpad to PC with the usb cable that came with it and select Usb Drive option.
    2) Once the Touchpad pops up on your screen, create a folder called cminstall and put the files you downloaded in Step 1 there.
    3) Eject/Safely remove touchpad from the pc, remove the USB cable from pc and shutdown touchpad, then go to step 4.

Step 4:
    1) Do you know which way is your volume up button? if you are not sure then you are not paying attention to this guide. To figure out which way, boot to webOS, figure it out and shutdown.
    2)Hold the volume up button and press power button simultaneously. You should see a white USB symbol.
    3)Connect the USB cable back to pc and if the Novacom drivers were properly installed, the driver will be automatically detected and installed.

Step 5:
    Extract the Acme Installer you downloaded in Step 2 to your desktop or wherever you want. Open up cmd ( in windows) or terminal ( in linux or mac). cd to the directory where you just extracted your Acme Installer.zip and go to step 6 for install.

Step 6:

NOTE: windows users might have to manually move the novacom.exe and/or AcmeInstaller into c:\programfiles\palm folder and run the above command from there.

and wait for it to install and boot into CyanogenMod. If your clockwork mod didn't get installed, go here for a fix.

Step 7:
    Update from CM Alpha 1/ 2.1
    1) Download CM Alpha 3 from here
    2) Plug in your touchpad to PC, select copy usb files option
    3) Transfer CM Alpha 3 zip file into the "sd card" of your touchpad when it pops up and disconnect.
    4) Long press power button and select reboot, then recovery option.
    5) Recommended but Optional ( I didn't): In CWM recovery, go to backup and storage, do a nandroid backup before updating, back to main cwm recovery, wipe cache and in advanced wipe dalvik cache.
    6) In the CWM recovery meny, use your volume buttons and select install zip file from sd card, select zip file and select cm alpha 3 zip, then scroll down and say yes.
    7) Reboot. To check if you are on alpha 3, go to settings, about tablet and mod version should be alpha3.

To install google market and google apps, go here

Have Fun. Thanks to the awesome CM team, we have android on touchpad.

NOTE: If you want to uninstall CM for whatever reason, download ACME uninstaller from here and run it like you did with ACME installer. This should work ( i haven't tried it though).

SOD( Sleep of Death): This is when touchpad goes to sleep and wouldn't wake up, don't panic. Doesn't happen often and I have never seen it since installing Alpha 2.1. Press and hold power and home button for 10 - 20 secs and your TP will reboot. One fix for this is to use no-frills cpu control or set cpu and set min cpu to 384Mhz.
    Good effort but you're going to get warned/banned by the mods for cross linking. They have to protect their domain you know. ;)

Cross linking? I linked directly to the other websites which host the files. Thats not allowed? If so, mods can delete this thread. Only trying to help. I don't see another thread for a guide here in this section unless i am blind :).
    Direct the Novacom portion to the folder you installed where you installed palm stuff.

For example
    \"Program Files"\"Palm, Inc"\novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller
    I don't have the apk and lib. I do have one from the Samsung tablet but I need to mod the build.prop to get it to work.

I'm very familiar with building roms and want to port honeycomb with myn and virus. I just needed the apk and lib that's working right and its all good.

thanks

Swype apk https://www.box.net/file/1038659346/encoded/136805148/77c15f9d647e8bdfb8bc43610f14e9ea

Lib

https://www.box.net/file/1038660258/encoded/136805148/5d461846f9fe2df28c90ae03258ad427

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium
    Note: If you are already on CM Alpha 1 skip to step 7, if not you can follow the instructions below to install CM Alpha 2.1 from WebOS.

Alright, here is a step by step instruction on how to install CM Alpha 2.1 on Touchpad. I did notice there is a video guide but a text step by step might be useful for some. I have this installed and for Alpha release this is fantastic.

Step 5:

Step 6:

and wait for it to install and boot into CyanogenMod. If your clockwork mod didn't get installed, go here for a fi
    ""

For some of you who are installing from Windows, if you have having some problem running ACMEInstaller from the command line, try this. (I suspect you guys may not have much experience with DOS)

After you have installed WebOSinstaller and Novacom drives have been downloaded and installed, use Window explorer.
    Go to "Program Files"
    Find "Palm,Inc"
    Copy that "palm,Inc" to your "C:\"
    Rename it to "PalmInc"
    Extract "ACMEInstaller" to "PalmInc"
    Run "Command" from the windows logo prompt
    This should drop you to C: prompt
    type "cd c:\"
    type "cd palminc"
    Run Novacom in step 6