[GUIDE][N00B]Step-By-Step ROOT/Update/ROM Instructions + 902 Update Info (5/18/12)

Which ROM did you install?

• Kin3tix

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Eclipse

Votes: 121 70.8%
  • Liberty

Votes: 25 14.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

scarinu10

Mar 13, 2012
Also the wallpaper that was there when i got the phone isnt even installed anymoee. In fact the os looks different then when i got.it. the original wallpaper was that poke e ball looking thing in the middle with lines going to corners. Just ran root checker and i still have root Again any help is appreciated

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA

Last edited:

LucasMN

Mar 5, 2011
I must have done something wrong. I just tried to install eclipse, all it would do for an hour is play the boot animation over and over. Had to pull the battery and to a restore of my back up. I am so new at this and want to be so much better.

I have a Motorola Bionic

Looks like you found the right forum at least!

Use dhacker29's 902 Pathsaver from the front page of this thread. I used it over the weekend (Was on .901 running Kinetix with Safestrap). You can't easily screw it up. Follow the directions.

Are you rooted and on .902? If not, use dhacker29's 902 Pathsaver!!!! Install the drivers, run option 1 then 3. Then follow the steps to get Eclipse installed. Easy as pie.

Last edited:

eye__dea

Feb 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Tuck. Just ran into a small issue. There was a 4g lte outage in my area this morning... but i didnt know that. So i went back into unsafe mode to check 4g there.... i went to safe system boot, toogle safe system... verified it was off... all went well... went to go back to unsafe by the same process and restore failed.... ran it again then original backup failed... went to reboot and it was factory reset... lost all apps minus super user... its still there. I still have .902 and android 2.3.4. Where do i go from here so i dont screw up more

What ROM were you running in safe mode? Sometimes Eclipse and safestrap have some hiccups, but there are some ways to avoid it.

scarinu10

Mar 13, 2012
I was running eclipse... it factory reset my stock system. It was unthemed eclipse 2.2 what would my next step be. As i said i still have root. Do i need to re install the eclipse rom. Or can i find a way to boot a backup of the safe system and how do i do that. I followed the directions of the op exactly

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
For some reason eclipse users have been experiencing occasional problems with safestrap. You should be able to restore a backup of either your unsafe or safe systems.

scarinu10

Mar 13, 2012
Im root stupid. Im running stock root now. I cant toggle safe system on. Do i just do a reinstall of eclipse

scarinu10

Mar 13, 2012
Would i have to remove eclipse from my sd card to install another rom? And then follow instructions in op

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
No you can leave the .zip file on your sd card. Separately, you might want to format your sd card entirely, but that's just if you're anal and want to keep it pristine, not necessary.

scarinu10

Mar 13, 2012
The issue im having is when i try to enable safe system it says error restoring /data. Then when i reboot to stock it always starts me at select language.

My question is how do i enable safe system to begin to install another rom

ikeman82

Jun 1, 2008
Looks like you found the right forum at least!

Use dhacker29's 902 Pathsaver from the front page of this thread. I used it over the weekend (Was on .901 running Kinetix with Safestrap). You can't easily screw it up. Follow the directions.

Are you rooted and on .902? If not, use dhacker29's 902 Pathsaver!!!! Install the drivers, run option 1 then 3. Then follow the steps to get Eclipse installed. Easy as pie.
I am rooted and have Safestrap installed. Now I get a duel boot on power up.

johnny_chimpo

Apr 14, 2009
would like to thank you but button i not there and i am logged in pm me or something
and i will do it. You did help me so credit where credit is due.!!!!!!!

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
would like to thank you but button i not there and i am logged in pm me or something
and i will do it. You did help me so credit where credit is due.!!!!!!!

Hey thanks for the feedback. A lot of people are having a hard time finding that thank you button. I don't understand what the complication is. Someone please let me know!

lvlorpheus

Dec 17, 2010
With respect to safestrap + eclipse errors: there's a reason I use kin3tix...

I too like Kin3tx except 1 issue, some of my more expensive apps do not show up in the market and the only way to get them is with titanium backup. I am hoping maybe there is some information that you know and could share with me to resolve that issue.

I am stock. 902 rooted.

To be more clear the real issue is having to restore back to stock on short notice should I need to purchase a nursing app "since I am back in school to get my RN" and not having the time to play with my phone while at clinicals.

I need the whole market to work.

Thanks for the great guide.

Last edited:

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
I too like Kin3tx except 1 issue, some of my more expensive apps do not show up in the market and the only way to get them is with titanium backup. I am hoping maybe there is some information that you know and could share with me to resolve that issue.

I am stock. 902 rooted.

To be more clear the real issue is having to restore back to stock on short notice should I need to purchase a nursing app "since I am back in school to get my RN" and not having the time to play with my phone while at clinicals.

I need the whole market to work.

Thanks for the great guide.

I haven't experienced any missing apps. Did your market upgrade to "Google Play"? Give me a few example apps that aren't working for you and I'll test on my device...

Last edited:

lvlorpheus

Dec 17, 2010
I haven't noticed any missing apps. Did your market upgrade to "Google Play"? Give me a few example apps that aren't working for you and I'll test on my device...

Yes my market did upgrade to Google Play. All of the apps are from Unbound Medicine Inc. Like Nursing Central, Medicine Central.

Thanks for the quick reply too.

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Yes my market did upgrade to Google Play. All of the apps are from Unbound Medicine Inc. Like Nursing Central, Medicine Central.

Thanks for the quick reply too.

Seems that Nursing/Medicine Central aren't compatible with the Bionic in general, regardless of the ROM. According to info on the Google Play website:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unbound.android.ubnc&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unbound.android.ubmc

Have you used them on the Bionic before?

Reactions: lvlorpheus

lvlorpheus

Dec 17, 2010
So it must be Kin3tx "build # I think" because both apps and many more show up on my phones market and the Web market since I am on stock .902 rooted now. Both my phones market and the Web market report back like you are saying when I am on Kin3tx thus my issue. I wish Kin3tx could be updated to .902 and I think my issue would be resolved.

Yes they are both on my phone now. I can restore them to Kin3tx with TB. I just don't like the idea of not being able to get an app if I need it. Knowledge is power and as a nurse I want as much power as I may need when caring for a patient.

Thanks again for the quick replies.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is out of date and has been deprecated.

Please visit the link below for up-to-date information.

http://www.droidhive.com/forums/ind...-2233-235-find-out-here-download-links-in-op/
    902 Update Instructions

NEW! Introduction
    The following instructions are only for people who already followed my guide above. They are confirmed to work for users of Eclipse and Kin3tix 1.0, and if you try it with Liberty please inform me of your results.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that you do to anything. Period.

Prerequisites
    • Windows
    • 901 system already installed
    • Safestrap
    • At least 2GB free on internal sd card (EMMC partition)
    • At least 4GB free on external sd card (you can move old backups onto your PC to make room if necessary)

!!! - ONLY PROCEED WITH A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY - !!!​

Instructions
    1) This step has been removed. Proceed to step 2.
    2) Download 901 -> 902 update and place it on your external SD card. Don't unzip it. Credit: FantomPhlasher @ DroidForums
    Optional Step: If you are using Eclipse 2.1 RC1 now is a good time to update to Eclipse 2.2 Official. Download it onto your SD card now. Credit: Nitroglycerin33 @ EclipseRom.com
    3) Backup any important/critical app data (e.g. sync calendar, export settings in launcher).
    3) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
    4) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup. I don't see the need for backing up the primary system or webtop since they will shortly be updated. Your choice. I'm paranoid so I made two backups, one with and one without those options. I recommend saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
    5) Select "++++Go Back++++" to return to the main recovery menu.
    6) Go to the "safe boot menu".
    7) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
    8) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", verify that "Safe System is: DISABLED", and then "reboot system now".
    9) Allow stock system to settle if you haven't used it in a while. Make sure to update your apps, especially Superuser. To do this manually, go to the market app, then press the menu key, and go to "My Apps". Update everything. Superuser gave me an error to update, so I uninstalled it then reinstalled.
    10) Shutdown phone.
    11) Hold down BOTH volume buttons, and press the power button. This will boot you into stock recovery.
    12) Select "Recovery" in the menu. (Beware the weird method of navigating the menu. To select Recovery press volume down, then volume up).
    13) At the fancy logo, press BOTH volume buttons.
    14) Go to "Apply Update" then select the 902 Update from step # above. (Navigate up/down with the volume keys and use the power button for enter.) The update will take a while.
    15) Pay attention to progress. Note any error messages carefully If you modified/debloated/icon-changed/whatever your stock system you won't pass this stage. You'll have to try something fancier. Seek help elsewhere if this is you.
    16) Reboot phone and allow stock to boot. Notice safestrap is gone. This will take longer than usual.
    17) Verify system version (Settings -> About Phone).
    18) Use Root Checker Basic from the market to verify you are rooted.
    19) Start the safestrap app (from your list of apps) and press the "Install Recovery" button. This will reinstall safestrap.
    20) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
    21) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup of your stock 902 system. I recommend backing up the webtop, and saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
    22) Go to the "safe boot menu".
    23) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
    24) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", and verify that "Safe System is: ENABLED".
    25) Select "Wipe cache partition".
    26) Now go to the "Advanced" menu and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache".
    Optional Steps: If you are upgrading to Eclipse 2.2 Official.
    A) Select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main menu.
    B) Select "Install zip from sdcard". DON'T GO TO "apply update from sdcard".
    C) Select "choose zip from sdcard" and find the ROM .zip file. DON'T GO TO "apply /sdcard/update.zip".
    D) If you are coming from Liberty or Kin3tix, select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" in the main menu. Don't do this if you are coming from Eclipse 2.1 RC1.​
    27) Finally, select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main recovery menu and select "power off".
    28) Wait for power down to finish, then restart your bionic. Be patient, the first boot takes unusually long.
    29) If your ROM doesn't work, you can try the "Wide Data/Factory Reset" option, or you can install the newest Eclipse, or you can just use stock.

PLEASE CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU
    I assume you are trying to enable the safesystem? Make sure you have sufficient free space on your internal sd card?

Well what I did was uninstall safestrap delete the safestrap folder in my sd and the safestrap folder in internal storage. Installed safestrap again and was able to enable safesystem.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Forever-root was only relevant because, previously, 901 and 902 were not rootable. You had to forever-root an older version (like 893), then upgrade to 901/902. Now, the Motofail method works on any system version, so 43v3r r00t is no longer necessary.

Yeah.

And thanks for including tehRoot in the guide, I didn't expect it to get thousands of downloads.

I see you marked it deprecated, thanks!

If I have enough free time, I'm going to see if I can write up a GUI for all of this, but don't take that as a promise.
    Tuck..Great instructions. Anyone able to root using their laptop? -eye__dea

I rooted mine fine using a laptop with Windows 7 32bit Enterprise and Tehsusenoh's method.