FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!
Post Reply Email Thread
So, I've seen quite a few posts now about Android System eating way more battery than it should, and I'd noticed the same thing on my phone since day 1. I tried turning features and settings on and off, disabling apps etc etc all to no avail, but I've finally cracked it

Format your external SD card via the phone settings, and use Kies to re-sync your content. Mine was originally formatted as FAT32 and I'd dragged and dropped the music and photos onto it via my computer. I don't quite understand the mechanism responsible, but this seems to be the source of my phone's unusual battery drain. Android System battery utilisation has dropped markedly, and battery life is greatly extended. I noticed the media scanner working for a few hours after I initially inserted the SD card, however after formatting and reloading via Kies the media scanner didn't run, yet all the content shows up where it should. I can only guess that some process responsible for indexing the media was running amok? Either way it's now able to sit in flight mode overnight without dropping a single %, whereas previously it'd drop at least 6%. In active use the display now always sits at the top of the battery use table rather than Android System, usually by a large margin
The Following User Says Thank You to vanButton For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vanButton Ad-Free
26th April 2014, 02:57 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanButton

So, I've seen quite a few posts now about Android System eating way more battery than it should, and I'd noticed the same thing on my phone since day 1. I tried turning features and settings on and off, disabling apps etc etc all to no avail, but I've finally cracked it

Format your external SD card via the phone settings, and use Kies to re-sync your content. Mine was originally formatted as FAT32 and I'd dragged and dropped the music and photos onto it via my computer. I don't quite understand the mechanism responsible, but this seems to be the source of my phone's unusual battery drain. Android System battery utilisation has dropped markedly, and battery life is greatly extended. I noticed the media scanner working for a few hours after I initially inserted the SD card, however after formatting and reloading via Kies the media scanner didn't run, yet all the content shows up where it should. I can only guess that some process responsible for indexing the media was running amok? Either way it's now able to sit in flight mode overnight without dropping a single %, whereas previously it'd drop at least 6%. In active use the display now always sits at the top of the battery use table rather than Android System, usually by a large margin

What if we don't have an external SD card?
26th April 2014, 02:59 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Dumbarton
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame2388

Then this isn't what's causing your issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to vanButton For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vanButton Ad-Free
1st May 2014, 05:03 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame2388

i'm also getting massive android system use for seemingly no good reason, and it started like 4 days ago, my phone was fine before that.

I'm new to android so I don't even know where to start with regards to uncovering problems of this nature
26th April 2014, 05:22 PM |#5  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 2,836

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

So what should we format the memory card to? Fat32 still?
26th April 2014, 05:25 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Dumbarton

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0113

So what should we format the memory card to? Fat32 still?

Just let the phone format it, there are no options for which file system you would like.
26th April 2014, 05:31 PM |#7  
Flag New York

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Just let the phone format it, there are no options for which file system you would like.

Interesting. And what's your battery like now?
26th April 2014, 05:36 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Dumbarton

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0113

Interesting. And what's your battery like now?

Much, much better. Oddly the Gallery app now shows more album artwork that was always located on the external SD card, but obviously was not being properly indexed. So far today I've got 3.5 hours of screen-on time and still have 58% battery capacity. Previously it'd have been that low with no screen time.
26th April 2014, 05:54 PM |#9  
Flag New York

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Much, much better. Oddly the Gallery app now shows more album artwork that was always located on the external SD card, but obviously was not being properly indexed. So far today I've got 3.5 hours of screen-on time and still have 58% battery capacity. Previously it'd have been that low with no screen time.

Couple more questions thn I'll stop annoying you

1. What's your Android System vs Screen now in terms of usage of the battery (% wise). And how was it before you did this little trick?
2. How should I go about putting everything back onto my SD Card (backups, pics. apps, etc.)? I've never used Kies before so I have no idea what to do lol.
3. All you did was go to settings, then storage and hit format sd card, correct?
26th April 2014, 11:11 PM |#10  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 170

Donate to Me
More
Maybe it is also caused by kitkat bug, which is Not only triggered by skype, but also hangouts etc etc http://www.zdnet.com/kitkat-giving-y...ix-7000027051/

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android system, battery, solved

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)