FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Solved: Android System eating battery

57 posts
Thanks Meter: 14
 
By vanButton, Member on 26th April 2014, 08:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So, I've seen quite a few posts now about Android System eating way more battery than it should, and I'd noticed the same thing on my phone since day 1. I tried turning features and settings on and off, disabling apps etc etc all to no avail, but I've finally cracked it

Format your external SD card via the phone settings, and use Kies to re-sync your content. Mine was originally formatted as FAT32 and I'd dragged and dropped the music and photos onto it via my computer. I don't quite understand the mechanism responsible, but this seems to be the source of my phone's unusual battery drain. Android System battery utilisation has dropped markedly, and battery life is greatly extended. I noticed the media scanner working for a few hours after I initially inserted the SD card, however after formatting and reloading via Kies the media scanner didn't run, yet all the content shows up where it should. I can only guess that some process responsible for indexing the media was running amok? Either way it's now able to sit in flight mode overnight without dropping a single %, whereas previously it'd drop at least 6%. In active use the display now always sits at the top of the battery use table rather than Android System, usually by a large margin
The Following User Says Thank You to vanButton For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vanButton Ad-Free
 
 
26th April 2014, 01:57 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanButton

So, I've seen quite a few posts now about Android System eating way more battery than it should, and I'd noticed the same thing on my phone since day 1. I tried turning features and settings on and off, disabling apps etc etc all to no avail, but I've finally cracked it

Format your external SD card via the phone settings, and use Kies to re-sync your content. Mine was originally formatted as FAT32 and I'd dragged and dropped the music and photos onto it via my computer. I don't quite understand the mechanism responsible, but this seems to be the source of my phone's unusual battery drain. Android System battery utilisation has dropped markedly, and battery life is greatly extended. I noticed the media scanner working for a few hours after I initially inserted the SD card, however after formatting and reloading via Kies the media scanner didn't run, yet all the content shows up where it should. I can only guess that some process responsible for indexing the media was running amok? Either way it's now able to sit in flight mode overnight without dropping a single %, whereas previously it'd drop at least 6%. In active use the display now always sits at the top of the battery use table rather than Android System, usually by a large margin

What if we don't have an external SD card?
26th April 2014, 01:59 PM |#3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame2388

What if we don't have an external SD card?

Then this isn't what's causing your issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to vanButton For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vanButton Ad-Free
26th April 2014, 04:22 PM |#4  
JoeFCaputo113's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 2,831
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanButton

So, I've seen quite a few posts now about Android System eating way more battery than it should, and I'd noticed the same thing on my phone since day 1. I tried turning features and settings on and off, disabling apps etc etc all to no avail, but I've finally cracked it

Format your external SD card via the phone settings, and use Kies to re-sync your content. Mine was originally formatted as FAT32 and I'd dragged and dropped the music and photos onto it via my computer. I don't quite understand the mechanism responsible, but this seems to be the source of my phone's unusual battery drain. Android System battery utilisation has dropped markedly, and battery life is greatly extended. I noticed the media scanner working for a few hours after I initially inserted the SD card, however after formatting and reloading via Kies the media scanner didn't run, yet all the content shows up where it should. I can only guess that some process responsible for indexing the media was running amok? Either way it's now able to sit in flight mode overnight without dropping a single %, whereas previously it'd drop at least 6%. In active use the display now always sits at the top of the battery use table rather than Android System, usually by a large margin

So what should we format the memory card to? Fat32 still?
26th April 2014, 04:25 PM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0113

So what should we format the memory card to? Fat32 still?

Just let the phone format it, there are no options for which file system you would like.
26th April 2014, 04:31 PM |#6  
JoeFCaputo113's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 2,831
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanButton

Just let the phone format it, there are no options for which file system you would like.

Interesting. And what's your battery like now?
26th April 2014, 04:36 PM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0113

Interesting. And what's your battery like now?

Much, much better. Oddly the Gallery app now shows more album artwork that was always located on the external SD card, but obviously was not being properly indexed. So far today I've got 3.5 hours of screen-on time and still have 58% battery capacity. Previously it'd have been that low with no screen time.
26th April 2014, 04:54 PM |#8  
JoeFCaputo113's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 2,831
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanButton

Much, much better. Oddly the Gallery app now shows more album artwork that was always located on the external SD card, but obviously was not being properly indexed. So far today I've got 3.5 hours of screen-on time and still have 58% battery capacity. Previously it'd have been that low with no screen time.

Couple more questions thn I'll stop annoying you

1. What's your Android System vs Screen now in terms of usage of the battery (% wise). And how was it before you did this little trick?
2. How should I go about putting everything back onto my SD Card (backups, pics. apps, etc.)? I've never used Kies before so I have no idea what to do lol.
3. All you did was go to settings, then storage and hit format sd card, correct?
26th April 2014, 04:59 PM |#9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0113

Couple more questions thn I'll stop annoying you

1. What's your Android System vs Screen now in terms of usage of the battery (% wise). And how was it before you did this little trick?
2. How should I go about putting everything back onto my SD Card (backups, pics. apps, etc.)? I've never used Kies before so I have no idea what to do lol.
3. All you did was go to settings, then storage and hit format sd card, correct?

You're not annoying me, honest, that's why I shared my results here ;P

1: Android System is currently 13%, screen is 29%. Previously Android System would be over 30% no matter what and often much higher if I didn't use the phone much that day.

2: Copy everything off your SD card onto your computer using whichever method you currently use. In Kies there's a file browser icon that lets you browse the contents of your phone, as well as copy things to and from it. You don't have to use the automated sync tools in Kies, you can simply drag and drop using the Kies browser.

3: Yup, that is correct. Not sure if it's maybe formatted using exFAT now, but I believe that's Android's preferred format these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to vanButton For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vanButton Ad-Free
26th April 2014, 05:10 PM |#10  
atg284's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 107
 
More
I think I formatted my new SD card when I put it in the phone but not sure.

Is there any way to check and see what the card is formatted to? exFAT? Fat32? It was a brand new Samsung card.

I'm not really seeing bad battery life at all just curious.
26th April 2014, 06:22 PM |#11  
JoeFCaputo113's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 2,831
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanButton

You're not annoying me, honest, that's why I shared my results here ;P

1: Android System is currently 13%, screen is 29%. Previously Android System would be over 30% no matter what and often much higher if I didn't use the phone much that day.

2: Copy everything off your SD card onto your computer using whichever method you currently use. In Kies there's a file browser icon that lets you browse the contents of your phone, as well as copy things to and from it. You don't have to use the automated sync tools in Kies, you can simply drag and drop using the Kies browser.

3: Yup, that is correct. Not sure if it's maybe formatted using exFAT now, but I believe that's Android's preferred format these days.

So when I re copy everything to my phone... Can I put it on my SD card again or should I place it in the internal storage? (using kies as you stated) thanks a lot buddy

Sent from a Galaxy 5 light years away
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android system, battery, solved

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes