[Q] Nook Color Root?

Search This thread

zedley

Nov 30, 2010
Kudos to rad for giving a step-by-step, but it should be noted that 1-19 can be replaced by the initial steps on nookdevs using winimage (which was easier for me, but YMMV).

msantiago1256

Mar 29, 2008
error not recognized

I promised myself i'd avoid being another annoyance but i can't get through this last bit! my nook is now recognized in device mananger as an android phone. I've updated the driver for the actual nook in the devices and priters section. i go through each command promt step and BAM "error device not found"

i've killed adb server, unplugged the nook and reconnected it all but still nothing. i almost woke my wife up yelling at my monitor! help...

dannyBR

Nov 19, 2010
Hope this helps some people - I tried to be very step-by-step about it.

Again, thank you Pokey9000, the guys and gals from the IRC channel, and everybody else for all of your hard work! 99.9% of this is an aggregation of what is already in this thread; some of it comes from nookdevs also.

You will need the following applications on your Windows 7 computer:

- cygwin (www dot cygwin dot com)
- Android Debug Bridge (ADB) - this comes with the android SDK
- Android USB Drivers - this comes with the android SDK

-- (WOQ) stands for without quotes, it means that I am giving you something between quotes to copy and paste.
-- if you see <some_odd_name> inside quotes, it means you MUST replace this with something from your specific OS instance (e.g. a drive letter, or something)

1. make sure your NC is disconnected from you computer
  2. make sure your SD card is mounted on your computer (readable/browsable in explorer)
  3. Install cygwin - you only need the base install AFAICT (YMMV), don't worry about the options for now.
  4. download nooter at http //www dot mediafire dot com/?hugt8uxcfffpdvg
  5. extract the contents to a folder in your cygwin install (standard install path is c:\cygwin)
  6. Go to: Start, type in (WOQ) "compmgmt.msc" - this may require UAC elevation
  7. Select "Disk Management" under storage
  8. note the drive letter of the SD card and the disk number
  9. Go To: Start > All Programs > Cygwin > Cygwin Bash Shell
  10. At the prompt, type (WOQ): "mount //./<f>: /dev/sd<c>"
    Where <f> is your drive letter, and
    <c> is the letter you would get if you zero-indexed the disk number into the alphabet (i.e. 0 = a, 1 = b) **
  11. press enter - there should be no output
  12. at the prompt, type (WOQ): "dd if=<path_to_nooter_from_cygwin_install_folder>/nooter_sdcard_40MB.img of=/dev/sd<c>"
    It will sit at this for a few minutes seeming to do nothing, be patient; you should get a response eventually that looks like:
    80326+0 records in
    80326+0 records out
    41126912 bytes (41 MB) copied, 174.525 s, 236 kB/s
  13. remove the sd card from the computer and plug it into the NC
  14. power down the NC (hold power button for 15 seconds)
  15. connect the NC to the computer
  16. Wait for a "Composite Device" to be recognized by Windows and fail to install drivers
  17. Wait for 15 seconds after the recognition
  18. power down the NC
  19. remove SD card ***
  20. Find your android_winusb.inf file - this is located in your android-sdk install directory in the usb_driver folder. (NOTE: if you installed this in the program files folder, you will need to UAC elevate your editor to edit this file)
  21. Paste the following lines into the file below both occurrences of the line ";Moto Sholes" after the ADBInterface definitions:
    ;B & N Nook Color
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002&MI_01
  22. save the file and close
  23. find your adb_usb.ini file - it is usually located in c:\users\<username>\.android\
  24. add (WOQ) "0x2080" on its own line
  25. power on NC - at this point, the NC should boot normally, but ADB won't be able to recognize it
  26. Go To: Start > Devices and Printers
  27. Right-click on Nook and select properties
  28. Select the hardware tab
  29. If you have something that says "Nook" and has a yellow yield sign with a "!", then continue, if not skip to 38
  30. Click on "Nook"
  31. Select Properties
  32. Click Change Settings (may require UAC elevation)
  33. Click update driver
  34. Select "browse for driver software on your computer"
  35. Browse to the android-sdk/usb_driver folder
  36. click next
  37. You should be done; skip to 47 (I have no idea if this is correct - i pieced it together from somewhere in this as I did not get Nook to appear in the Device Functions List)
  38. If you don't have a "Nook" Device Function, click on "USB Mass Storage Device"
  39. Select Properties
  40. Click Change Settings (may require UAC elevation)
  41. Select the Driver Tab
  42. Click Uninstall
  43. Click OK
  44. Disconnect NC
  45. Reconnect NC
  46. You should be done (this is different from my previous instructions on how to uninstall the NC USB drivers, I have not tested it so YMMV)
  47. Go To: start > run > cmd
  48. type (WOQ): "cd <path_to_android_sdk>\tools"
  49. type (WOQ): "adb.exe kill-server"
    You should get something like:
    * server not running *
  50. type (WOQ): "adb.exe remount"
    * daemon not running. starting it now *
    * daemon started successfully *
    remount failed: No such file or directory
  51. You are done configuring to sideload

From here you should be able to sideload from ADB.

**I am not sure that it matters which drive number you are dealing with, I was just going from CYGWIN manual that stated that /dev/sda was \device\harddisk0\partition0, etc...
***I think the NC may power back on after you turn it off here because it always powers on when connected to power, but I really don't remember at this point, and it's late here

EDIT: I forgot some steps ... it's late

Very nice instructions (practically idiot proof)! I wanted to ask if this sideloading means installing APK's and that it or is that something done on a rooted device (meaning this process roots as well)? Thank you!

PS. I believe this should work in Vista?

Nov 11, 2008
If we uncomment the following line in build.prop will this enable the shared library so we can get market to work?

Code:
# rild.libpath=/system/lib/libreference-ril.so

http://www.kandroid.org/android_pdk/telephony.html

Android's Radio Interface Layer (RIL) provides an abstraction layer between Android telephony services (android.telephony) and radio hardware. The RIL is radio agnostic, and includes support for Global System for Mobile communication (GSM)-based radios.

Not sure it's gonna help us.

kaicherry

Nov 30, 2010
Gettin' goin' on Mac OS X...The Hints n' Tips

(Tried on a mac and Win7x64)

Ok. The big "oops" points:

1. dd must be used on the whole device, not a partition:

What you need to do here is get a formatted microSD mounted via the Finder via whatever means you have. Use Disk Utility to determine the device path "/dev/disk<a number>s<another number>" which would be spoken as "dev disk one, slice one" (for example).

Next, you will want to click *unmount* in disk utility NOT EJECT, and when you run the dd command in the terminal, you want to do /dev/disk<a number>, e.g dd if=theNooter.img of=/dev/disk<a number>

If you get this part right, the rooting happens correctly, automatically. Per the guide, Mac OS X will tell you it has found new devices.

Once you get to this point, really, you're done. The only thing you need to do after that is paste this into a Terminal window...*but there is a catch* so read past it:

Code:
sudo sh -c "mkdir -p ~/.android; echo 0x2080 > ~/.android/adb_usb.ini; adb kill-server; adb devices"

Unless "adb" is in your path, this will not work. The easy solution is to paste the following into a terminal:

Code:
export PATH=$PATH:
<-do NOT hit return or add any spaces.

Then, drag the tools folder from the android SDK to the Terminal window, then hit return. You can now do:

Code:
sudo sh -c "mkdir -p ~/.android; echo 0x2080 > ~/.android/adb_usb.ini; adb kill-server; adb devices"

And you are in business.

Let me know if/how that works out for ya.

-K

rad131304

Dec 1, 2010
I promised myself i'd avoid being another annoyance but i can't get through this last bit! my nook is now recognized in device mananger as an android phone. I've updated the driver for the actual nook in the devices and priters section. i go through each command promt step and BAM "error device not found"

i've killed adb server, unplugged the nook and reconnected it all but still nothing. i almost woke my wife up yelling at my monitor! help...

You should see 7 different Functions under the Hardware Tab of the Nook Properties if you did it correctly:

Android Composite ADB Device
B&N Ebook Disk USB Device x2
2 drive letters
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device

If all of these are not there, then the drivers are not installed correctly. Try uninstalling the drivers, disconnecting the nook and connecting it again.

sudermatt

Nov 26, 2003
thousand oaks
Awesome...that is truly step by step...I can't wait to try it out.

When I try to "mount //./,f>".....I mean at the very beginning...I get "Device or Resource Busy"

This is similar to when I was trying to use WinImage.

What is holding onto that card that is stopping writing to it?

Anyone?

Hope this helps some people - I tried to be very step-by-step about it.

Again, thank you Pokey9000, the guys and gals from the IRC channel, and everybody else for all of your hard work! 99.9% of this is an aggregation of what is already in this thread; some of it comes from nookdevs also.

You will need the following applications on your Windows 7 computer:

- cygwin (www dot cygwin dot com)
- Android Debug Bridge (ADB) - this comes with the android SDK
- Android USB Drivers - this comes with the android SDK

-- (WOQ) stands for without quotes, it means that I am giving you something between quotes to copy and paste.
-- if you see <some_odd_name> inside quotes, it means you MUST replace this with something from your specific OS instance (e.g. a drive letter, or something)

1. make sure your NC is disconnected from you computer
  2. make sure your SD card is mounted on your computer (readable/browsable in explorer)
  3. Install cygwin - you only need the base install AFAICT (YMMV), don't worry about the options for now.
  4. download nooter at http //www dot mediafire dot com/?hugt8uxcfffpdvg
  5. extract the contents to a folder in your cygwin install (standard install path is c:\cygwin)
  6. Go to: Start, type in (WOQ) "compmgmt.msc" - this may require UAC elevation
  7. Select "Disk Management" under storage
  8. note the drive letter of the SD card and the disk number
  9. Go To: Start > All Programs > Cygwin > Cygwin Bash Shell
  10. At the prompt, type (WOQ): "mount //./<f>: /dev/sd<c>"
    Where <f> is your drive letter, and
    <c> is the letter you would get if you zero-indexed the disk number into the alphabet (i.e. 0 = a, 1 = b) **
  11. press enter - there should be no output
  12. at the prompt, type (WOQ): "dd if=<path_to_nooter_from_cygwin_install_folder>/nooter_sdcard_40MB.img of=/dev/sd<c>"
    It will sit at this for a few minutes seeming to do nothing, be patient; you should get a response eventually that looks like:
    80326+0 records in
    80326+0 records out
    41126912 bytes (41 MB) copied, 174.525 s, 236 kB/s
  13. remove the sd card from the computer and plug it into the NC
  14. power down the NC (hold power button for 15 seconds)
  15. connect the NC to the computer
  16. Wait for a "Composite Device" to be recognized by Windows and fail to install drivers
  17. Wait for 15 seconds after the recognition
  18. power down the NC
  19. remove SD card ***
  20. Find your android_winusb.inf file - this is located in your android-sdk install directory in the usb_driver folder. (NOTE: if you installed this in the program files folder, you will need to UAC elevate your editor to edit this file)
  21. Paste the following lines into the file below both occurrences of the line ";Moto Sholes" after the ADBInterface definitions:
    ;B & N Nook Color
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002&MI_01
  22. save the file and close
  23. find your adb_usb.ini file - it is usually located in c:\users\<username>\.android\
  24. add (WOQ) "0x2080" on its own line
  25. power on NC - at this point, the NC should boot normally, but ADB won't be able to recognize it
  26. Go To: Start > Devices and Printers
  27. Right-click on Nook and select properties
  28. Select the hardware tab
  29. If you have something that says "Nook" and has a yellow yield sign with a "!", then continue, if not skip to 38
  30. Click on "Nook"
  31. Select Properties
  32. Click Change Settings (may require UAC elevation)
  33. Click update driver
  34. Select "browse for driver software on your computer"
  35. Browse to the android-sdk/usb_driver folder
  36. click next
  37. You should be done; skip to 47 (I have no idea if this is correct - i pieced it together from somewhere in this as I did not get Nook to appear in the Device Functions List)
  38. If you don't have a "Nook" Device Function, click on "USB Mass Storage Device"
  39. Select Properties
  40. Click Change Settings (may require UAC elevation)
  41. Select the Driver Tab
  42. Click Uninstall
  43. Click OK
  44. Disconnect NC
  45. Reconnect NC
  46. You should be done (this is different from my previous instructions on how to uninstall the NC USB drivers, I have not tested it so YMMV)
  47. Go To: start > run > cmd
  48. type (WOQ): "cd <path_to_android_sdk>\tools"
  49. type (WOQ): "adb.exe kill-server"
    * server not running *
  50. type (WOQ): "adb.exe remount"
    * daemon not running. starting it now *
    * daemon started successfully *
    remount failed: No such file or directory
  51. You are done configuring to sideload
From here you should be able to sideload from ADB.

**I am not sure that it matters which drive number you are dealing with, I was just going from CYGWIN manual that stated that /dev/sda was \device\harddisk0\partition0, etc...
***I think the NC may power back on after you turn it off here because it always powers on when connected to power, but I really don't remember at this point, and it's late here

EDIT: I forgot some steps ... it's late

scotthellewell

Feb 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
This solved all my problems.

Thanks

To achieve the same effect (confirmed on my W7 Pro system):
  1. start > run > compmgmt.msc
  2. browse to Device Manager
  3. Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  4. Select USB Mass Storage Device (there may be multiple)
  5. Right-Click and select "properties"
  6. select the details tab
  7. in the dropdown, select "Hardware Ids" - if this says "USB\VID_2080&...." then this is the NC
  8. click ok
  9. right Click again and select uninstall
  10. disconnect NC from computer
  11. reconnect NC to computer
  12. NC re-finds all drivers, including ADB
  13. start > run > cmd
  14. cd <android-sdk-dir>\tools
  15. adb.exe remount

I had already enforced the ADB driver on the USB MSD, so mine was listed under android devices.

I will be posting a full write-up of my process for W7 in a bit

rad131304

Dec 1, 2010
Awesome...that is truly step by step...I can't wait to try it out.

When I try to "mount //./,f>".....I mean at the very beginning...I get "Device or Resource Busy"

This is similar to when I was trying to use WinImage.

What is holding onto that card that is stopping writing to it?

Anyone?

which device or resource is busy? //./<f>: or your mount destination?

msantiago1256

Mar 29, 2008
You should see 7 different Functions under the Hardware Tab of the Nook Properties if you did it correctly:

Android Composite ADB Device
B&N Ebook Disk USB Device x2
2 drive letters
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device

If all of these are not there, then the drivers are not installed correctly. Try uninstalling the drivers, disconnecting the nook and connecting it again.

Yup, it's all there, i've gone the delet and re-install route twice and reset the computer also (just incase) any other suggestions? thanks for the quick reply btw.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    37.9 KB · Views: 70

Pinesal

Jan 28, 2009
Is there a nook board yet?

Also, how can I access the menu key in a full screen app?

HotShotAzn

Oct 23, 2007
Stupid question...how do I get my memory card back to the original size? I used winimg originally.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMG_8539.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8540.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8541.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8542.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8543.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8544.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8545.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8546.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8547.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8550.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8551.JPG

<br>

ok guys. this is the underside of the board. i took a ton of pictures. i put my NC bac together. still working as it should :)

hope this little contribution helps. im quite excited for android 2.2 on my nook. this device "feels" very well built, and its really the size i want. now we just need a real andoid experience and ill be one happy nook color owner.

let me know if we need any more photos or close ups, i can borrow a macro lens if wee need photos of something really close up
    Nova: Google nookdevs they have a website that has a step by step guide for windows linux and mac that is a product of this monstrous thread and work done apart from xda. I know this thread is a beast.
    [15:47] <[mbm]> ooh .. a reboot later and I have angry birds
    [15:48] <[mbm]> no xml edit needed
    [15:48] <tenequalstwo> I'm jealous....
    [15:48] <[mbm]> and it runs
    oooooooooooooooooooh!
    IMG_8528.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8529.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8530.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8531.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8532.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8533.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8534.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8535.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8536.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8537.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8538.JPG

<br>
    builing an MLO file ?

pokey and i have reached a consensus and im sure occip agrees although i havent spoken with him about it yet. that weve reached an impass at the moment and will have to wait on b&n to release their source code. from what weve found at the moment to do what we plan without source would require us to stumble down a blind maze and hope to find our way through. hopefully with a little patience b&n will release for the nc the way they did for the original nooks where they give full source including bootloaders, and then itll be easy street for us to either create our own roms or port an existing rom i.e. cyanogenmod.

in the meantime, if everybody could continue just testing whatever they can think of, and continue posting any ideas or what you find here or on #nookdevs we can keep this going as quickly and smoothly as it has went so far!

remember every little bit helps even if you think it may be useless we can still try to use it!!

I don't agree completly with you. We can experiment few things and develop some POCs like ... The MLO must fit in the 64k sram of the omap3621. We can do a lot a things within 64k like initialise the musb and send the emmc content through it. I'm working to customize my MLO file (from igep 020 card which is a very good one !) after success I will able to compile the same file for NC. Now my NC is somewhere between Los Angeles and Europe :) I hope to receive it soon ...

Cheers

Occip