FORUMS

[Q] Have HD2 running windows, Want Android Help

43 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By jinx0117, Member on 27th December 2010, 07:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Ok.....First I will admit I am new at all of this, second , I am a girl. Not that, that is a big deal but you get my drift. I have spent the last 24 hrs trying to find a good version of android 2.2 to install on my HTC HD2. I have tried quite a few versions, only one has installed that was the FroyoSense. However, none of my status lights worked, personal ringtones didn't work, picture preview didn't work. I create themes for the market and wanted to run android on this phone to help me out with my themes.....can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you so much in advance.......that is if anyone is up as late as I am.... : )

Mickey
27th December 2010, 09:24 AM |#2  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Australia
Thanks Meter: 1,909

More
Hi Mickey,

The best builds I've used are NexusHD2 1.8 (if you want completely stock Android) and MDJ Froyo HD 4.6 (if you like the HTC Sense look). You will need to flash your HD2 using ActiveSync with a new '.50' radio. They can be found here (2.15.50.14 is the one I'm using). Without the new radio you'll be unable to boot.

I'm currently running MDJ Froyo HD 4.6 and it's quick and stable with pretty good battery life. I experience trouble with 'robot voice' when calling on NexusHD2, however everything else works just fine. Once you get a bit more confident you can have a play with custom kernels and whatever else.

To install one of these builds follow the link and download the package, then extract everything. I take the MicroSD out of my phone and use a card reader plugged into my PC to format the MicroSD FAT32. Quick format works fine for me. Then I copy the files into a folder called 'Android' (do not use all capitals) in the root of the SD card. Then boot into Windows, use file explorer to find your 'Android' folder and run CLRCAD.exe (nothing will happen - that's fine). Then run HARET.exe, click 'yes' when told about an unknown publisher, and it will proceed to boot you into Android.

First boot may take up to 10 minutes, as the device creates a virtual 'phone memory' for your apps and sets up the kernel. Once it's booted and at the lock screen, leave it for fifteen minutes. After fifteen minutes, unlock and power off your phone completely. Rinse and repeat the booting process, and your Android should be working perfectly.

I'll keep an eye on your thread in case you have other questions. Make sure you flash that radio first, or you'll be in all kinds of trouble.

Good luck!

Justin
27th December 2010, 10:51 AM |#3  
Flag Vancouver, WA
Thanks Meter: 25

Donate to Me
More
This is exactly what ive been looking for Juzz. can you elaborate on activesync and the radio more? installation, etc? and that froyo work with gen. y? If not, whats a good dual boot?
27th December 2010, 11:06 AM |#4  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Australia

More
Truaim,

ActiveSync isn't actually called ActiveSync anymore, it's Windows Mobile Device Center on Vista and Windows 7.

When you connect your HD2 running Windows to your computer with the USB cable, you are asked (on the phone) what kind of mode you want to select. ActiveSync is first, then USB Mass Storage, Internet Gateway etc. ActiveSync is the mode where you can update new firmwares, install HardSPL, and (if you use them) sync Outlook calendars, mail and contacts.

I am assuming you have HardSPL installed, which you use to flash custom Windows ROMs? It's not necessary (strictly speaking) for Android, but makes flashing radios easier. Let me know if you need me to cover that more.

Android on the HD2 only works with radios that follow the '2.xx.50.xx' format. They MUST have that .50 or you'll run into trouble. Flashing a new radio is just like flashing a new ROM. You download the installer, extract and run CustomRUU.exe, which launches the update process. Your phone needs to be in ActiveSync mode for this to work.

If you follow my previous link to the radio thread, you'll find all the .50 radios at the top. I'd go with the 2.15.50.14 radio first. Download it, connect your phone, unzip and run CustomRUU. Then follow the prompts. Your phone will do a few odd things, reboot and be running the new radio. It doesn't change Windows in any way, shape or form. It just updates your radio. You won't see any changes, except in the 'About' page where it lists the radio version.

Hope this helps!

Justin
27th December 2010, 11:21 AM |#5  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Australia

More
Also, I run the 1.66.405.2 Generic WWE HTC Windows 6.5 ROM. I don't use any kind of bootloader (I'd rather be sure CLRCAD was run myself). There are a couple of stripped-down Windows ROMs floating around, but I find battery life isn't affected a whole lot by running a regular Windows ROM.

Cheers.
27th December 2010, 11:32 AM |#6  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Australia

More
Just in case the radio package you get doesn't have CustomRUU...
27th December 2010, 11:47 AM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Moderator / (Un)recognised Pole Dancer
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 4,244

More
The most recent stock ROM (3.14) is reported by many to be a very good ROM for running Android with. I use it myself and have had 0 issues. (It comes with radio 2.15.50, which is great for Android.)

It also means that, for once, my phone is in a perfectly "legit" state and I could send it off for repair without worry.

And I'm sorry, but there are no "best builds" for Android. The ones that are regularly updated are all running very well, so it depends what you want from it. I'd recommend ignoring recommendations and trying a few different ones yourself, as that's the only way you'll find what you like.
27th December 2010, 12:02 PM |#8  
Flag Vancouver, WA

Donate to Me
More
I bought my HD2 used, so I wont be sending it in. in fact, if it were possible id remove windows entirely. where can i see if i already have that radio installed?
27th December 2010, 05:32 PM |#9  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Moderator / (Un)recognised Pole Dancer
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 4,244

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truaim

I bought my HD2 used, so I wont be sending it in. in fact, if it were possible id remove windows entirely. where can i see if i already have that radio installed?

Reboot your phone and look out for the info in the bottom left of the screen when you get the first white screen with HTC logo. The number next to R is the radio version you have.
27th December 2010, 11:11 PM |#10  
Flag Vancouver, WA

Donate to Me
More
My radio is currently 2.8.50.08... is this compatible with mdj sense 4.6 suggested above?
28th December 2010, 03:56 AM |#11  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Australia

More
Should be fine mate. Give it a whirl.

Good luck!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
froyo

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)