Another upgrade

Search This thread

rodpgfx

Mar 31, 2012
Corner Brook
OnePlus 8
Guys, my phone just told me there's another upgrade for the lg g2 D803 variant....Anybody seen this yet?
I'm wondering what the upgrade is, seeing it's 1.5 gb.

It's gonna take me to D803B20G. Not sure if the current rooting and autorec recovery method will work on this new firmware, sceptical about installing it......

Gandalf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
Guys, my phone just told me there's another upgrade for the lg g2 D803 variant....Anybody seen this yet?
I'm wondering what the upgrade is, seeing it's 1.5 gb.

It's gonna take me to D803B20G. Not sure if the current rooting and autorec recovery method will work on this new firmware, sceptical about installing it......

1. wrong place to post this.
2. general rule of thumb - if you like having root and recovery, NEVER take an OTA from the manufacturer EVER, until it's confirmed that it doens't block root / recovery /bootloader exploits (like the 4.4 ot'as blocked loki)

Gandalf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
Sorry, I never seen a folder for the D803 variant so I wasn't sure where to put this.... Should it have gone in Q&A?

Q&A if you're asking a question about it, General if you wanted to let people know about it..

Attachments

• 2014-05-05_14-27-51.png
    2014-05-05_14-27-51.png
    206.7 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

martindar

Sep 10, 2012
plymouth,devon uk
yes probably in q&a or general maybe, like stated above please dont install on your phone if youre rooted with a non stock recovery otherwise you will mess up your phone big time! really not sure if its possible but if you can, switch off firmware updates as they are not compatible with the custom recoveries and whichever rom you are using will update soon enough anyway if your on stock rom the same applies if you have a custom recovery

rodpgfx

Mar 31, 2012
Corner Brook
OnePlus 8
yes probably in q&a or general maybe, like stated above please dont install on your phone if youre rooted with a non stock recovery otherwise you will mess up your phone big time! really not sure if its possible but if you can, switch off firmware updates as they are not compatible with the custom recoveries and whichever rom you are using will update soon enough anyway if your on stock rom the same applies if you have a custom recovery

I have stock Rom rooted and twrp recovery that's all.

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
Avoid the update.

However it has the knock knock code addon. Or, as far as I've heard, that's the only new update LG had planned for the LG G2.

Do not install it. If you REALLY want to try it, make a backup, store it on your PC, OTA. If you lose root, you can revert to stock, get a recovery, put your backup back on your phone and restore.....but that's honestly a lot of work just to possibly get the knock knock code. (I know turning on is knock on, but for the "code" you knock more than once minimum, so I call it knock knock).

You can also force supersu to keep root, but last time I tried that for an OTA I got stuck in a bootloop.

TL;DR: Might be knock on/knock knock code. Not sure what else. You can backup and try to OTA, but no one can be certain what will happen. Expect to lose root. You can force SuperSu to keep root, but you may bootloop.

I'd just wait for more info.

bleached45

Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I'm pretty sure there is an app in /system that you can freeze to stop push updates. Sadly, that is the only info I have. It may have been carrier specific and I haven't been on stock since the first week I had the phone. Haha.

rodpgfx

Mar 31, 2012
Corner Brook
OnePlus 8
Guys I already know all what you just said......I've done this loads of times. Just wondering if I can uninstall custom recovery without re-installing stock firmware?

I know I can take my chance and try the OTA but not without recovery gone first.
It's a lot of work to just flash stock firmware, install update and if there's no big change, flash stock again.....
Thats why i was wondering if the only option is flash stock to get rid of recovery

Norside

Aug 25, 2013
A place south in the north!
Guys I already know all what you just said......I've done this loads of times. Just wondering if I can uninstall custom recovery without re-installing stock firmware?

I know I can take my chance and try the OTA but not without recovery gone first.
It's a lot of work to just flash stock firmware, install update and if there's no big change, flash stock again.....
Thats why i was wondering if the only option is flash stock to get rid of recovery

I think its possible, (but it should be really hard to do so) but the easiest way is to flash a .kdz file;) And you should not take the chance to update when you have recovery, it just isn't worth it. Anyways I would just have sticked with a custom rom which gets updated regulary..or flashed a kdz and get back to stock.

Btw can the good judger @Judge Joseph Dredd move the thread to q and a section? I think that it is even more help to get there :)

Last edited: