Ouya: $99 hackable Android game console

Search This thread

Wetzel402

Here is the kickstarter project page. No mention of dev kits as it is already based on Android so you just need the SDK, eclipse, etc. They mention it being hackable and easily rooted so I asked about fastboot, NVflash/APX mode, and ADB access. I will post when they answer.

Keep in mind that it should be quite easy to port full AOSP Android to as well as Linux. With a multiboot solution this could be a very interesting device to work with.

skinzy98

May 30, 2012
Sounds like a pretty awesome console. But will it be able to be found at major retailers?

sent from the bottom of a red solo cup

Wetzel402

Sounds like a pretty awesome console. But will it be able to be found at major retailers?

I am also curious if it will reach the mass market. No doubt that we at XDA will get some development going for it provided it does make it to market. I am interested in the fact that for the price of a Roku you have a device that does far more plus includes a lot of the same features. For gaming I find that at least current mobile games don't entice me the same way as my Wii and Xbox can...

sent from the bottom of a red solo cup

lol :laugh:

XTM16

Jun 6, 2012
Illinois
My big question is if the controller connects via bluetooth or a proprietary connection channel. If bluetooth, day one buy for me.

Darktori

Oct 28, 2010
My only concern is if this will still be worth the money when it's released - I think they're aiming for March. By the time we should have a new Tegra platform, and probably a new major Android update;)

Markuzy

Apr 21, 2012
Singapore
Is it upgradeable like a PC? Is there a modular design?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

1cewolf

Mar 12, 2011
Google Pixel 6
At this price, it's a total no brainer. You can use it to stream stuff, run emulators, etc.

I got in on the $99 offer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

mistermentality

Sep 13, 2010
Pontypridd
www.google.com
At this price, it's a total no brainer. You can use it to stream stuff, run emulators, etc.

I got in on the $99 offer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

I wonder if the lack of an optical drive, and no sd card slot, won't restrict the appeal as eight gig can be easily used up. It's the only downside to a nice product.

Dave

( http://www.google.com/producer/editions/CAownKXmAQ/bigfatuniverse )

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk 2

DankestMango

Jan 21, 2008
Connecticut
I put in for one as well. A well designed little competitor to the Roku / Apple TV / Nexus Q, with support for custom roms is just what I've been looking for. The fact that it comes with a controller and was designed by Yves Behar is just icing on the cake. :)

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

I put $99 in.
I think this will take off and as here is a quote fro mthe kickstart page "For hackers: root it. Go ahead. Your warranty is safe. Even the hardware is hackable. Want to get inside? You’ll need a standard screwdriver and nothing more. Go to town. We have standard USB ports and Bluetooth, so you’ll even be able to create your own peripherals." So in my mind that means play store added. and with a tegra 3 and 1 gig of memory this will be a sweet addon for any hd tv

mistermentality

Sep 13, 2010
Pontypridd
www.google.com
I put $99 in.
I think this will take off and as here is a quote fro mthe kickstart page "For hackers: root it. Go ahead. Your warranty is safe. Even the hardware is hackable. Want to get inside? You’ll need a standard screwdriver and nothing more. Go to town. We have standard USB ports and Bluetooth, so you’ll even be able to create your own peripherals." So in my mind that means play store added. and with a tegra 3 and 1 gig of memory this will be a sweet addon for any hd tv

I think you're mistaken about play store as they specify ouya runs their own version of android not just an overlay (they specify games need porting because it is not normal android they will be using) and that they decide what apps can be approved.

For them to have sole access control of available apps suggests no play store functionality, as does the fact they are using their own variation of android and have stated that apps must be selected from the ouya app store.

Dave

I think you're mistaken about play store as they specify ouya runs their own version of android not just an overlay (they specify games need porting because it is not normal android they will be using) and that they decide what apps can be approved.

For them to have sole access control of available apps suggests no play store functionality, as does the fact they are using their own variation of android and have stated that apps must be selected from the ouya app store.

Dave

I know that. Its android 4.0 and they are hacker friendly. It should be easy for the xda community to get stuff like play and such working. Some unity even come pre rooted.
They do say there will be a store and there twitter tells of a sdk too.
Read this "Hackers welcome.

Have at it: It's easy to root (and rooting won't void your warranty). Everything opens with standard screws. Hardware hackers can create their own peripherals, and connect via USB or Bluetooth. You want our hardware design? Let us know. We might just give it to you. Surprise us!

Specifications:

Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (one)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0 "

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    to some degree you're right, it does seem to be a redundant device. And more than a few of us have done exactly that. On the same token, not that many games on Android and programmed to use a controller such as Dead Space, Need for Speed, Angry Birds, and so forth. Yet, some are such as Dead Trigger, GTAIII (granted this is a port),and Shadowgun.

Why someone would want this, is an excellent question that is more on subjectivity, than objectivity. Personally, I got it to support an alternative to mainstream consoles--Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo. I don't piicture anything like this becoming a big threat to them, but as Michael Patcher said, could be a nice second console. One that is just always hooked up to the TV, rather than having to leave the wire hooked up the TV. And as a practical matter, not all mobile devices have microHDMI and HML outputs. HML does not always give enough juice to charge a phone, but slows the discharge rate.

Some controllers need root access to the phone such as the Playstation Sixaxias, well the Sixaxias Controller application does. I would venture to guess that most mobile phone owners are NOT rooted. Some controllers don't such as the Wiimote and maybe some generic blue tooth controllers, but how well they work may be questionable. I know the OnLive universal controller works, but only well with OnLive; I've tried Dead Trigger and Shadowgun and wasn't able to program the buttons.

In addition, I think some people are hoping if there are enough numbers, it will attract more developers. This could mean more better quality games, and maybe some new interesting ideas that would otherwise be too expensive or risky on other platforms. That's part of the point of Ouya is for low entry cost into game development into the living room. I know that's part of my hope.

I figured it's only a $100. I've blow that without thinking with going out to eat or other similar activities, so it's not like I'll miss the money. It wouldn't be the first time I've gotten tech where the company went under. If were able to use Google Play or side load games, the console will be usable even if the company goes under.
    XBMC was my main reason to purchase. I'm hoping it will have the power to do Aeon Nox skin and 1080p content over Wifi, so I can put it at any place in house. Purchased one for now w extra controller. If it works well w XBMC will be buying a second one for the kids TV so they have on demand kids movies from my ripped to hdd bluray collection. Things like games, other useful apps, old school emu, etc are just cherry on top :).
    My exact reason and thinking as well.

As far as processing horsepower: I'm running the hardware beta builds of XBMC today on the Nexus 7 and am able to decode 1080P up to 20Mbps. Over 2.4GHz wireless N, I do see some pauses for "buffering" on files with bitrates above ~14Mbps, which is either saturating the bandwidth of the Wifi connection or the hardware is unable to keep up. At this point, I can't be sure which.

So, considering that the Ouya uses the same cpu as the Nexus 7, except it's clocked 33% faster, it should have no trouble with 1080P content.

And, I believe the Ouya runs wireless N at 5GHz, which has more throughput than at 2.4GHz, where the Nexus 7 must operate, so wireless speeds may not be an issue either.

Overall, this thing should kick ass with XBMC.

BTW, if anyone's interested in trying the hardware decoding beta builds of XBMC for Android, you can find them here. Pick the one with "hwaccel" in the title:
    http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/
    Do you mean old xbox, as in XBMC on old xbox? Cause if you're doing just dlna media streaming, that doesn't compare at all to XBMC imo w up to date Frodo, art scraping, the visuals of UI skins like Nox, TV Tunes, plugins like Sports Devil etc. I used to do DLNA myself straight to my PS3, but it feels archaic now compared to XBMC...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
    XBMC + OUYA
    http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/08/07/xbmc-and-ouya-oh-yeah/

It's not clear if it'll be a special build that appears in the Ouya store, or if you just sideload the Android app, but it'll work. I already see Ouya specific stuff in the XBMC merge notes.
    Maybe. Just depends on what you're trying to run on the PC.

The issue, although the PC is a lot more robust, it also costs a lot more than a hundred dollars. And some of the games on Android are not on the PC, and vise versa.

As for the controller, probably could be hooked up. I suspect it'll be blue tooth. Worse case, it'll have generic HID controller drivers.