PS2 Emulator for Android

Search This thread

boss1019

Jan 26, 2013
Chicago
This probably isn't what you want to hear

Any news boss? When we got Any visible of this great emulator two weeks? A month?
Most likely August, but if development is fast then it will be done by the end of July. If the development is too slow it might be a while, because if it is not done by September all time for development will be gone.

Elevas33

May 13, 2013
another treath of ps2 emulator

Another treath of ps2 emulator forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Port-pcsx2-to-android[/url] but i think that boss will be out firts :)

Elevas33

May 13, 2013
your emulator will be the best!!

Do not be discouraged, do emulation history, many people you would buy the emulator altough cost $ 20

boss1019

Jan 26, 2013
Chicago
Not too big of a deal

I personally think that guy might put his out first, as he is more of a port, and more experienced in emulation than my team, whereas our group is making more of an emulator from scratch, using the good elements in the design of others, and also adding our own features to make it better for android devices, and so in my opinion ours will probably get better frame rates. While I must commend the PCSX2 team for making a SPECTACULAR (which means the best) emulator for laptops, and desktops, the emulator in my opinion would not work on an android device due to some of the issues mentioned by earlier critics such as the weak gpus in mobile, so I personally don't think a port will work as well, but it could go either way as my ideas for improving frame rate could get owned by the complexities of the PS2 architecture, but we'll see when they are both out, and besides it is up to you to decide what you want in an app, and either way it looks like there will be a PS2 emulator on android. :)

Elevas33

May 13, 2013
Dont stop Your work¡

Please dont stop Your work¡ Your emulator will be out in agoust¡ and it Will be amazing¡

anto135

Jun 4, 2012
I don't see why developers spend so much time on things like these when I've seen loads and loads of people stating reasons why it's not possible. I'd love to be able to play ps2 games on my s3 but I can't see it being done anytime soon, I'm just stating m opinion here, no offence to the developer, it's your choice what you spend your time on and don't let anyone tell you otherwise but I'd much rather hear of more people working on a nds or dreamcast emulator as they're more likely to come up with something that actually works and is playable.
Even with me saying that the nds emulators have being worked on for quite a while now and are still so slow.

boss1019

Jan 26, 2013
Chicago
NDS4Droid

I don't see why developers spend so much time on things like these when I've seen loads and loads of people stating reasons why it's not possible. I'd love to be able to play ps2 games on my s3 but I can't see it being done anytime soon, I'm just stating m opinion here, no offence to the developer, it's your choice what you spend your time on and don't let anyone tell you otherwise but I'd much rather hear of more people working on a nds or dreamcast emulator as they're more likely to come up with something that actually works and is playable.
Even with me saying that the nds emulators have being worked on for quite a while now and are still so slow.
Not sure if you tried Nds4droid. It is pretty good. I was able to run any of the games I tried on full speed with sound, and fps meter on my HOXL (a bit of overclocking is on my device.)

hoholee12

May 6, 2012
Not sure if you tried Nds4droid. It is pretty good. I was able to run any of the games I tried on full speed with sound, and fps meter on my HOXL (a bit of overclocking is on my device.)

Nintendo DS has two ARM cpus built inside, 66mhz for main and another 33mhz for bottom screen.
The 33mhz one is also used for running in gba mode downclock to 14mhz to support gameboy advance cpu.
yeah.. So it basically has the same architecture with our phone but the problem is that android uses a dalvik which screws it all up making it not compatible, you need another recompiler to emulate like the ps1 emulator.
(If we did not run it in dalvik, we basically would have the same architecture, meaning we could just run DS natively with emulating just the small 33mhz one{for single cores})

Last edited:
May 31, 2013
Bulacan
I have a ps3 emulator for my Nokia 3210 X
Specs of my nokia:
Android 5.7(Wafer Bar)
NonaCore™ 9GB Ram
320GB Internal Memory
Amoled Screen
Shock and Water Proof
7 days Battery life
:D:D:D:D:D

Sent from my Nokia 3210 X using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: tavocabe

hoholee12

May 6, 2012
Specs of my nokia:
Android 5.7(Wafer Bar)
NonaCore™ 9GB Ram
320GB Internal Memory
Amoled Screen
Shock and Water Proof
7 days Battery life

9Gb ram is not enough.
Theoratically, to store recompiler blocks made by that big ass ps3 instructions, youll need at least more than 16gb ram.
Also, you will need at least an intel xeon(server processor)(even five years later) built in your phone to emulate other 8 float processors.

Last edited:

boss1019

Jan 26, 2013
Chicago
Funny

Specs of my nokia:
Android 5.7(Wafer Bar)
NonaCore™ 9GB Ram
320GB Internal Memory
Amoled Screen
Shock and Water Proof
7 days Battery life

Funny:), but in all seriousness... even I would say that emulating a PS3 even at 10fps is impossible at the moment.

boss1019

Jan 26, 2013
Chicago
Nah they wouldn't

I wander if Google would make a Android OS for PC and make a survival fight with Windows like what Apple did :):):):)

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 918N using Tapatalk 2
If I were them, I wouldn't. I would invest in the future like they are, and in my opinion the future of computers is moving more towards the use of tablets, kind of like how more and more people are using laptops. In fact I think some companies like apple have most of their business in tablets, and smartphones, and especially with the flexible amoled Samsung is coming up with, the need for a desktop or laptop is becoming less and less, unless you're an EXTREME gamer, because even the newer windows 8 tablets are having nvidia graphics, and i7 processors (razer edge pro), and they I've heard they run portal 2 and Diablo 3. So if I were google, and I realize that we already have the technology to sell a tablet which can run crysis 2, and I know it would be hard to compete with apple and windows in the PC market, it would be much better for me (in my opinion) to thrive more in the area where I dominate (smartphones), and move into the area where I can dominate (tablets), and not fight for less than 1 percent market share in laptops and desktops.

boss1019

Jan 26, 2013
Chicago
Update on PS2 emulation

My team is going to release an x86 (for intel atom soc's) by July, and the emulator will be delayed a week or two. There was a delay on the bios file for ARM, so in the meantime, one of the members of my team, and I will be making one for x86 android to prove the concept of a PS2 emulator running on android, and to get an initial start on porting speed hacks, and various modules to android, and because it is much easier to port to x86. I would say it will only be usable on the dual core hyper threaded atoms, so don't try it on something like the droid razr i, do it on something like the k900. Full development phase will start Wednesday or Thursday, depending on how long my nap/crash after finals (could be anywhere from 5-36 hours)

Elevas33

May 13, 2013
thanks!

My team is going to release an x86 (for intel atom soc's) by July, and the emulator will be delayed a week or two. There was a delay on the bios file for ARM, so in the meantime, one of the members of my team, and I will be making one for x86 android to prove the concept of a PS2 emulator running on android, and to get an initial start on porting speed hacks, and various modules to android, and because it is much easier to port to x86. I would say it will only be usable on the dual core hyper threaded atoms, so don't try it on something like the droid razr i, do it on something like the k900. Full development phase will start Wednesday or Thursday, depending on how long my nap/crash after finals (could be anywhere from 5-36 hours)

So, the firts release will be only for x86? after your team work in ARM soc
?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There isn't and wont be one on current hardware. Wait at least a year or 2 and you'll be there.
    The whole discussion is entertaining. So many people have no idea what they're talking about and to make things even worse there are people that belive them blindly.

1. PS2's architecture is the issue in emulating it, not it's raw power (PSP had slightly faster cores yet PPSSPP can handle it nearly perfectly with no hassle). PS2 has a kind of architecture and computing philosphy that is very far away from standard/consumer PCs. So in order to emulate it you have to do many complex things that multiply again and again, one on top of the other the minimum requirements of the device you're about to emulate it.

2. PS2 and PCSX2's code needs RAW performance and a relatively good video card not much RAM (256-512MB of RAM are more than enough). The way that PS2 works and the way that PCSX2 code tries to emulate it (and obviously is the most acurate and correct way to do it) you need a processor which can pack as much RAW power on a SINGLE core as possible. PS2's architecture DOES NOT allow multiple CPUs and there is absolutely no way around it. You can lay off some work on other cores but that's nothing that has to do with core emulation of PS2 and nothing that would give alot (or any) extra speed on emulation. So you need more Hz in ONE core and the minimum requirements of PCSX2 state some frequencies on a single core that are so far from what we see today on mobile devices that even talking about it is a joke.

3. So with what I said above you understand that the way the mobile computing industry goes (so this includes Android too), every day that passes and with every new CPU that comes out like Exynos Octa Core etc, we get a step more far from an ideal CPU that could handle PS2 emulation instead of getting more near. PS2 does NOT really like multiple cores and does NOT really care about multithreading, actually the opposite, it can be proven a bottlenecking factor to it in alot/most of cases. This is because the industry right now tries to give saperate work on smaller cores and multiply those small cores to archieve simmilar frequencies (if you put them all together) with a previous gen CPU. So they trade off RAW power of a single core for more cores. That may work well on Android for example but it KILLS PS2 emulation, it's simply the worst thing that could happen to it.

4. Mobile GPUs are sooooo weak. And when I say soooo weak, I mean SOOOOOOOO weak. (lol) Even the least ideal GPUs for PCSX2 like Intel HD 3000 or Intel HD 4000 (I'm talking about integreated graphics here since they are the same thing mobile chipsets have) are LIGHT YEARS ahead and really much more powerful than anything that not only is out on the mobile computing market right now, but sure for atleast ~3 years from now. So to say it better, your phone's GPU and you future's phone GPU is/will be crappier that the crappiest GPU that PCSX2 needs to emulate PS2.

So now everyone's free to go on and try to say that what I say it's not true. Go on and discuss the same things I said above on PCSX2's official forum with the (over a decade) working and active devs of the emulator, you'll get exactly the same points I listed above.
    Omg just imagine San Andreas on ur handheld omg :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
    Thanks to all the people who answered; This is very helpful to our team.

I want to thank everyone who replied to my questions so far. Your answers especially the ones from toka1232010 will be extremely helpful in our development. I encourage you guys to continue answering the questions, and possibly additional ones I might add. By the way someone mentioned that we should use all 4 cores of the quads. To reply to that, we were already planning to. The person who is in charge of optimization found out that pcsx2 uses no more than two cores. Ours will use 3 on the quads, unless the 4th one is needed (drops below a certain fps.). The dual cores, like the qualcomm in the one xl and the exynos 5250 are going to be difficult, but we will definitely try. toka1232010, I will try to find a way to get this to people in countries that don't have the play store. I think I might publish on the amazon appstore also, but that will take a bit longer:(.
    I'm glad that you think my assumption on what phones people use to emulate is correct.
    Again, Thanks to all.
    He could just be playing copies of games he owns or owned and lost/broke over time. Why don't you go buy a ps2 and ignore this thread.