Car charger for Samsung Galaxy S4

Search This thread

Decepticaons

Sep 1, 2011
Byron Center
Search Amazon for Motorola quick charge car charger. Got 2 for $11 shipped. Looks amazing at night and it charges fast, and holds the charge. If you need a link let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

swieder711

wagnerpk

Nov 16, 2012
I bought original Samsung 10W car charger from ebay and charging not working proper. I figure out that the problem is the cable. It's pretty similar to the one wich came with GS4, but it's black.

Someone knows where can I buy a cheap cable for delivery in Brazil wich can deal with 2A current?

cbb77

Okay I only have one cable available to me at the moment. This is the one that came with my LG charger. Using that cable with the Scoche usb charger I get 1210mAh. I am sure it will be higher with the Samsung cable but not sure how much. Testing that I've done on wall chargers showed that the Samsung usb cable charged faster / at a higher rate. I can retest on Monday as my Samsung cable is at work (was off on vacation today)

Sent from my SCH-I815 using xda app-developers app

ranger4740

Jan 17, 2011
Melbourne
I bought original Samsung 10W car charger from ebay and charging not working proper. I figure out that the problem is the cable. It's pretty similar to the one wich came with GS4, but it's black.

Someone knows where can I buy a cheap cable for delivery in Brazil wich can deal with 2A current?

Electronic calculation
Watts = volts × amps
Amps= watts ÷ volts
So your 10 watt charger looks like this
10 ÷ 12 = 0.833 amps.
so most likely not cable problem as the maximum power from charger is only 10 watts or 0.833 amps.
Or in the case of 5 volt output it would look like this
10 ÷ 5 = 2 amp
So it might actually depend on if that's the input or output power that is calculated. Some of these mobs can be tricky.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

LouZiffer

Mar 16, 2010
Electronic calculation
Watts = volts × amps
Amps= watts ÷ volts
So your 10 watt charger looks like this
10 ÷ 12 = 0.833 amps.
so most likely not cable problem as the maximum power from charger is only 10 watts or 0.833 amps.
Or in the case of 5 volt output it would look like this
10 ÷ 5 = 2 amp
So it might actually depend on if that's the input or output power that is calculated. Some of these mobs can be tricky.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

10 watts is 10 watts. That charger should output 2A maximum just as they said. How many amps it draws from the car battery is beside the point.

Sent from my SPH-L720

I just saw this charger:
http://www.amazon.com/ACC-48181-301-Blackberry-Premium-In-Vehicle-MicroUSB/dp/B0089QK4NK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ACC-481...S_Cell_Phone_PDA_Chargers&hash=item19e0085123

Playbook Car Charger said:
Charge up to two BlackBerry devices at once with the BlackBerry Premium In Vehicle Charger. This travel friendly car charger powers your phone twice as fast at 1.8A compared to regular chargers. This charger also works for the BlackBerry Playbook tablet. With the extra USB port, you can charge two devices at the same time. Perfect for travelling. Specifications: Input Voltage - 12 V DC Output Voltage - 5 V DC Max Output Current - 1.8A 7 FT long coil cable

It seems like it's made for the blackberry playbook, and according to reviews, it has an true output of 1800mA, which is just short 100mA from our OEM S4 charger. Given the fact that I tested a "Playbook wall charger" and it worked fine on my S4, outputting 1900mA to my phone, I may give this a shot, since the Playbook calls for 2A, so it's basically asking for a similar charging as the S4. For more info on my test for chargers:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44651947&postcount=128
So picked up this charger today, and tested with Galaxy Charging Current and it outputs 1900mA to the phone with the cable, haven't tested the USB port yet...

Will report back when I do.

JP

Reactions: fromanbr

joeybear23

Aug 4, 2010
Undisclosed
stores.ebay.com
You wont need one. Grab Galaxy Charging Current Lite from Play Store, install and run, and plug charger in.

I'm betting that charger outputs 1.2 - 1.4 amps to the s4.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using xda app-developers app

Okay, I did a few tests on all my chargers using that app.
Results are as follows.
Samsung S4 stock wall unit: 1200
Samsung S2 stock wall unit: 700
Anker S4 dual car unit: 1240
EBay S2 car unit: 640

Pfeffernuss

Jun 30, 2009
Wassenaar
galaxy s4 stock wall must measure 1900mAh
there is something wrong with yours.

No, your statement is completely incorrect.

With the newer firmwares the phone charges with 1900mAh while the screen is off but only with 1200mAh while using the phone. All due to heat regulations. So his observation was spot on actually.

Last edited:

fromanbr

Oct 27, 2011
No, your statement is completely incorrect.

With the newer firmwares the phone charges with 1900mAh while the screen is off but only with 1200mAh while using the phone. All due to heat regulations. So his observation was spot on actually.
humm my i9505 always charges at 1900mAh using stock rom and pure GE rom

sorry if I was wrong, but if my phone charges at this rate (and I didn't modified it) I thought any other must do the same, right?

agonysfate

Feb 16, 2012
humm my i9505 always charges at 1900mAh using stock rom and pure GE rom

sorry if I was wrong, but if my phone charges at this rate (and I didn't modified it) I thought any other must do the same, right?

i95050 is different, its 4 cores insead of 8, I installed the latest nexus camera app and i was only touching the screen and its really boiling, guess my phone with 8 cores produce double the heat and its dangerous for it to max current charge.

Sent from my GT-I9500

fromanbr

Oct 27, 2011
i95050 is different, its 4 cores insead of 8, I installed the latest nexus camera app and i was only touching the screen and its really boiling, guess my phone with 8 cores produce double the heat and its dangerous for it to max current charge.

Sent from my GT-I9500
I know it's different, but it's the same model as the user that told my comment was "completely incorrect"

skygear

Apr 7, 2006
Been using a 2.1amp dual USB charger from the local Hardware store. Works fine. Next up is the NOKIA WIRELESS Car Charger/ Cradle.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone managed to get a car charger for this phone?

I've just tried to charge the phone with my car charger modded to "AC" mode by shorting the middle pins... and the S4 gets nada...

Have they changed the charging mechanics?
    Do you use it with the original cable or a generic one? I read that there are some differences in charging amount using also different cables. This SPIGEN Car charger looks very interesting. Thanks!

Different USB cables do pass different current even if using the same charging main. From tests I've done so far, a generic 3 ft USB 2.0 cable I randomly purchased online only allowed around 400 mA. An old Blackberry Torch 9810 cable allowed around 1200 mA. Original cable that came with the S4 allows 1900 mA. These numbers are from using the original wall charger main that came with phone.

I bought an anker car charger and mediabridge charging usb cable and it's a great combo. The images of the anker car charger is different, should be dual usb ports.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker®-2-4A-2...=1375543576&sr=1-1&keywords=anker+car+charger

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009W34X1I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know the exact current I'm getting, but from the battery monitor widget app, I'm seeing at least 1amp or higher of positive current.

My wife and daughter use ipads/phones.

I use android devices - nook color, transformer, hp touchpads, etc, etc.

So I got this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bolse®-4-2Amp...TF8&qid=1375553816&sr=8-2&keywords=bolse+4amp

Haven't had a chance to test it but I hope it works.

71tPsX2aeyL._SL1500_.jpg
    relation ifcplea

Got some difficulties to attach more than a photo,
    please add the http to the link and browse the rest of the photos
    app.box.com/s/7v2wdoe85ivo8lixd86y
    Yup definitely. Did you get a chance to test your elixir with the oem cable?

Did it today, it's 1200 mah.

It's okay in that the discharging rate for the phone is usually around 400-500 mah, so you charge at positive 700 or so, for your standard battery it will give you 25 percent over an hour.