[5.0+][ROOT][3.4.0] AFWall+ IPTables Firewall [9 FEB 2020]

1,465 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,038

By ukanth, Recognized Developer on 26th October 2012, 05:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th October 2012, 11:34 AM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
What about this bug http://code.google.com/p/droidwall/issues/detail?id=264 from original droidwall, is it fix?
28th October 2012, 12:08 PM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 234

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudfoot

What about this bug http://code.google.com/p/droidwall/issues/detail?id=264 from original droidwall, is it fix?

Did you read comment 8 on the same thread? ukanth answered already, he is working on this, but yes the issues is still available at the moment, but i'm sure he will look as soon as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to CHEF-KOCH For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CHEF-KOCH Ad-Free
28th October 2012, 12:31 PM |#33  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF-KOCH

Did you read comment 8

Yeah, I thought that is not his repo.
28th October 2012, 12:55 PM |#34  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudfoot

Yeah, I thought that is not his repo.

Oh sorry man! My old eyes, you are right this was not ukanth and not the afwall+ github link!

The real repro is this. But seems that the problems is actually not fixed but i made an problem report here.

Btw, is started to make bug reports and feature request so that anyone can see what's going on and what are the actually problems are. So i thinks it's better to post all problems and feature requests here because so it is much easier to read. No one read 100 sites with 20 entries per site in the future here to report a problem that is maybe already reported or solved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CHEF-KOCH For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CHEF-KOCH Ad-Free
28th October 2012, 01:04 PM |#35  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Nice app!

Quote:

/r/android! Started improving DroidWall, what do you want to see next?

Well, here are some "wishes" :

1)

Droidwall has this flaw that it is getting loaded after boot, making it possible that apps that were loaded prior to Droidwall were not blocked.

So essentially, Droidwall is a firewall that worked just 99% of the time.

Maybe you could solve this problem, if within AFwall there were a way to create init.d scripts ?

See:
https://code.google.com/p/droidwall/.../detail?id=235
and
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...045605&page=13

2)
Besides Blocked and Allowed, make a third option that asks the user every time an app tried to access the internet.

Thank you for your work, Man, and esspecially for asking your users what they want. This has become a rare trait among devs these days !

EDIT: I did not see the last post and did not see that both points are already on the Todo list.
28th October 2012, 11:01 PM |#36  

More
My preconception is that a firewall will save battery by preventing unneccesary sync wakelocks from apps not allowed to sync. But if an app can't connect it might stay alive until it gets connection or tries to connect again. Do you know if firewall saves battery? If an app is blocked will it still cause a wake lock?

If it saves battery, it will be a great tool togheter with Tasker.
28th October 2012, 11:51 PM |#37  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalastax

But if an app can't connect it might stay alive until it gets connection or tries to connect again. Do you know if firewall saves battery? If an app is blocked will it still causal a wake lock?

Never seen any app that goes into wakelock, when no inet access. And if there was such an app, it propably would be the worst programmed app ever.
If any app would start draining my battery, when I have no reception, i would get rid of it asap.
29th October 2012, 03:44 AM |#38  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalastax

My preconception is that a firewall will save battery by preventing unneccesary sync wakelocks from apps not allowed to sync. But if an app can't connect it might stay alive until it gets connection or tries to connect again. Do you know if firewall saves battery? If an app is blocked will it still cause a wake lock?

If it saves battery, it will be a great tool togheter with Tasker.

Well, it's a myth that killing apps or block apps save your battery life. Because the android os tries to restart the whole process/sync and load them into the cache and this costs a lot of more battery, and btw. only cpu/gpu cycles cost your battery life. If you really want to save battery life why did you not disable the app from the autostart so that no process can't start at all? Or uninstall the app that drains your battery and use an alternative for it? Or disable the whole sync process itself, most apps have an option for that? And there are some apps that manage the sync better under certain conditions, e.g. sync only manual or only if you under wlan (e.g. Jucie Defender Ultimate is an powerful app to configure it).

But i think it's the wrong place here to talk about it, i generally agree with zzerozzero1 he already answered your question. I would never use apps that drains battery life when I have no reception.
29th October 2012, 08:46 AM |#39  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Tasker support
I use the following shell script

Code:
file="/data/data/com.googlecode.droidwall.free/shared_prefs/DroidWallPrefs.xml"

cat $file | grep Enabled | grep true  > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ "$?" -ne "0" ]; then
    echo -n Disabled
else
    echo -n Enabled
fi
and the following Tasker task calling shell script in A1 and returning output to %DROIDWALL Tasker variable

Code:
Task: Manage - DroidWall (126)
	A1: Secure Settings [ Configuration:droidwall (Root) Package:com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin Name:Secure Settings ] 
	A2: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:5 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ] 
	A3: If [ %DROIDWALL ~ Enabled* ]
	A4: Variable Set [ Name:%DROIDWALL To:Enabled Do Maths:eek:ff Append:eek:ff ] 
	A5: Else 
	A6: Variable Set [ Name:%DROIDWALL To:Disabled Do Maths:eek:ff Append:eek:ff ] 
	A7: End If 
	A8: Return [ Value:%DROIDWALL Stop:eek:n ] If [ %par1 ~ check ]
	A9: Send Intent [ Action:com.googlecode.droidwall.intent.action.TOGGLE_REQUEST Cat:None Mime Type: Data: Extra: Extra: Package: Class: Target:Broadcast Receiver ] If [ %DROIDWALL %par1 ~ Disabled enable/Enabled disable ]
	A10: Notify Cancel [ Title:Firewall Disabled Warn Not Exist:eek:ff ] If [ %par1 ~ enable ]
to achieve Tasker and Droidwall integration. Works flawlessly for me for the last year or so.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alte.78 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Alte.78 Ad-Free
29th October 2012, 04:16 PM |#40  

Donate to Me
More
Thx @ Alte.78 i migrated it into #8.

But i can't test it myself because there is still no source code on afwall+ github, i don't know why, seems the code is not ready and i don't want to test it with the "old" droidwall code. But the first look seems to be good.
29th October 2012, 04:24 PM |#41  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,038

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF-KOCH

Thx @ Alte.78 i migrated it into #8.

But i can't test it myself because there is still no source code on afwall+ github, i don't know why, seems the code is not ready and i don't want to test it with the "old" droidwall code. But the first look seems to be good.

Currently code is broken because of roaming changes. I'll push the code once I fix those issues. I'll look into this after that.
As you mentioned I need to get both tasker/locale to test.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukanth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
block internet, droidwall, firewall, iptables, security

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)