Note 10.1 for school

Search This thread

Action B

Jan 6, 2011
Lynchburg VA
I just recently picked up a Note 10.1 to replace my HP touchpad for use at school. I was having a tough time deciding on the tablet so I thought I would post my experience using the Note 10.1 for productivity the last week. Any comparison I have is to the HP Touchpad running android ICS. Here is some key points.

The Good:

1. The Note 10.1 is not very heavy, I use it as a notebook and its about the same size and weight as a notebook.
2. The device has darn good battery life, I'm not going to throw numbers around because it varies, but its good.
3. The Note 10.1 is of good quality. THe one I have does not creak, has good sound and what I consider a quality screen. Side by side compared to my HP Touchpad of similar pixels, there is no comparison, the Note 10.1 is FAR superior in picture quality and color saturation.
4. The S-Pen is very useful. Best thing about Note devices in general, you can use them in class and people don't assume your on facebook or texting, simply because you have a pen in your hand. I don't have a facebook anyhow but the perception is different.
5. The software is solid, it does not lag, it does not shut off, it just works, at least so far.
6. The device is pretty close to a desktop replacement for me, the multitasking really opens up the options and works pretty well.

The Bad:

1. When using the device at school (I have very long days in one classroom), it can't be sat upright AND be on the charger. I have the samsung book-cover case and when it is upright, since the charging port is on the bottom, it won't plug in.
2. Proprietary cable, I know there are some good things, but my touchpad had micro USB and I think it was nice to have a standard.

That's all. It's overall a great device. I am very happy with it.

Attachments

• 20130403_120616.jpg
    20130403_120616.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 1,865

kkretch

Jan 1, 2013
near Pittsburgh
If you get a 360 case you can rotate the tablet while in the case so that the charging port would then be on the top and you can charge that way. I kind of like the 30 pin connector as it is more hefty, I have seen so many people complain about damaged micro usb charging ports on other device forum pages. Playbook and kindle fire especially. Just my 2 cents........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fosmon-Leather-Folio-Stand-Case-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10-1-Dark-Purple-/290833896213?pt=US_Tablet_eReader_Cases_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&hash=item43b70d1315

$(KGrHqV,!isFC8TOd7BSBQ08UOQ5OQ~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
You can get an adaptor that gives you normal usb ... I have a hub that connects to the 30 pin connector, gives me 3 usb ports and a couple of sd card ports. 1 normal sd and 1 microsd... I got this for around $20 on ebay and have no regrets as it works flawlessly with everything I've thrown at it, excepting of course an unpowered HDD....

Widget21

Dec 15, 2010
London
Thanks for sharing your experience with the GNote. I'm curious about how you connected your tab to the monitor? Hdmi adapter cable? And how about the keyboard? Is it bluetooth? Make?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using xda premium

Reactions: Girl527

kkretch

Jan 1, 2013
near Pittsburgh
Thanks for sharing your experience with the GNote. I'm curious about how you connected your tab to the monitor? Hdmi adapter cable? And how about the keyboard? Is it bluetooth? Make?

You can connect a BT keyboard, you can generally share music, video and photo's to an HDTV if it has WiFi (DLNA), You can use the HDMI adapter or a Samsung All Share Cast Hub that sends a wireless mirrored image to anything with an HDMI connection. There are many options.

jprovence

Jun 20, 2012
I wanted to touch on the school usablity. I'm the only one that I've seen in my school with a Note. I have the origonal note on ATT for a while, but I didnt feel the software matched the hardware at all. I sold my transformer infinity prime (which was awesome hardware but really really bad software) for the Note 10.1.

I've used it for a few weeks now in lectures and for homework. Many of my instructors upload either PDF of power points of their lectures. The Note excels at handling this. I simply import PDF directly to SNote or if its a powerpoint, I can open it in the included office program then export it as a PDF then import it to SNote. Either way, I have folders for all my classes along with lecture notes organized in a slim format. I used to go through almost a ream of paper every term printing out slides (6 per page) and then organizing into a huge binder and watching the pages wear out. And not something I want to haul around and study. The Note replaces all this. When I work out math problems, I have an instant "dry erase" board with me. I don't go through notebooks. Also, I have the equation solver in Snote which is awesome by the way.

I wish I could get flash working well. I have it sideloaded and have firefox on it, but the online homework sites that use flash do not recognize onscreen keyboard inputs. Other than the laggy lock screen (seems to be all the animations) it runs great and snappy.

Tintinnuntius

Aug 21, 2011
I've also switched from paper notes to digital. It's awesome, there's just one problem. Several times I've caught myself looking for the undo button in class on the real-life whiteboard :)

Sher The Love

Sep 13, 2011
California
Does anyone use there note for textbooks? If so, how is it with the resolution? Especially if you use it in multi window while taking notes.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

setasai

May 16, 2010
It's not bad. Use hyreader for chm, ezpdf/acrobat/radeepdf for pdf reading. It does take away space from the already small screen for notes so I tend to use my laptop or an actual textbook instead if I intend on taking notes. Sometimes i'll just give up and write directly on the pdf instead. for PPTs, I convert to PDF and write directly on them w/ acrobat or ezPDF.

Sher The Love

Sep 13, 2011
California
It's not bad. Use hyreader for chm, ezpdf/acrobat/radeepdf for pdf reading. It does take away space from the already small screen for notes so I tend to use my laptop or an actual textbook instead if I intend on taking notes. Sometimes i'll just give up and write directly on the pdf instead. for PPTs, I convert to PDF and write directly on them w/ acrobat or ezPDF.

If im decidimg between this and a nexus 10, would it be better to go with the nexus for the higher resolution for better clarity of textbooks and take any notes on a netbook I already have? If the lecture is using a PPT thats provided, I could always take the notes on the "note" section of the power point slide. Typing is also faster than writing. After seeing the nexus 10, im having a hard time going for the note due to the clarity of screen. What do you think?

setasai

May 16, 2010
I've had no issues w/ reading textbooks on the Note 10.1. The question you need to ask yourself is if you want the s-pen. It's really the deciding factor. If you want to be writing and taking handwritten notes with it then there's no question about it, go with the Note. If you just want a tablet to read things and surf the web then go for pretty much ANY tablet out there, or go with the Note anyways. Doesnt really matter.

As for PPT notes, sure you could type faster if that's the type of classes you have. I'm in med school and writing/drawing out diagrams is super super useful. For example, I'll have a slide with an image of a lung, the pen lets me circle the abscess and label it. Really depends on the purpose.

Think about your purpose. Think about what fits your usage and what you want to use it for. S-pen is unparalleled and the screen resolution isnt breath taking but it's NOT bad at all.

witchdoc13

Apr 20, 2013
Does anyone use there note for textbooks? If so, how is it with the resolution? Especially if you use it in multi window while taking notes.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

This is my main concern as well. I'm wanting to use a Note 10.1 for my pdf textbooks and be able to take notes with it as well. Am I going to need another tablet just for the books or will I be able to dual view or switch windows quick enough where I only need the one device?

aalupatti

Feb 20, 2011
This is my main concern as well. I'm wanting to use a Note 10.1 for my pdf textbooks and be able to take notes with it as well. Am I going to need another tablet just for the books or will I be able to dual view or switch windows quick enough where I only need the one device?

The feature you are looking is what makes this tablet unique.
I almost never use my hard copies of books. Just use the digital version.
I the multi Window features plus spen is very useful to take notes while reading. No other tablet offers these two. I thought the newer Windows tablet might work better but I am wrong. Their pen input needs a lot more improvement.

Sent from my GT-N8013

witchdoc13

Apr 20, 2013
The feature you are looking is what makes this tablet unique.
I almost never use my hard copies of books. Just use the digital version.
I the multi Window features plus spen is very useful to take notes while reading. No other tablet offers these two. I thought the newer Windows tablet might work better but I am wrong. Their pen input needs a lot more improvement.

Sent from my GT-N8013

That's just what I wanted to hear. The Windows Surface Pro was my other choice, but I figured I could get a Note 10.1 and a cheap laptop at the same cost. I just ordered a 32gb Note 10.1 and it should be here in a few days. :fingers-crossed: Thanks for the reply.

deathgod99

Feb 1, 2008
If im decidimg between this and a nexus 10, would it be better to go with the nexus for the higher resolution for better clarity of textbooks and take any notes on a netbook I already have? If the lecture is using a PPT thats provided, I could always take the notes on the "note" section of the power point slide. Typing is also faster than writing. After seeing the nexus 10, im having a hard time going for the note due to the clarity of screen. What do you think?

I was in the same boat so I got both lol.

Justinchi

Mar 30, 2012
I would definitely recommend the Note 10.1 for textbook reading and note-taking, especially if u can find your textbooks on the Kno website. Their textbooks are interactive in more than a few ways!! The S-Pen seals the deal here too, at least for me.

I'll post some screens of my Music Textbook. Or maybe I should do a vid.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
And to top it off you can add the 64gb sd card and increase your memory... I know that a lot of tabs dothis but a few don't, I'm looking at the nexus family here.... This is a real downer as sometimes 32gb just isn't enough.
The screen is fine, I read books in epub format all the time and also read a fair few PDF's with no problems... And I'm not a student...:p:laugh:

adamski123

Jun 15, 2011
London.
I have a note 10.1 and I've been using it primarily for my revision for my exams and its been awesome !! :)

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD

masondoctorjt

Apr 18, 2010
LG V60 ThinQ
I just recently picked up a Note 10.1 to replace my HP touchpad for use at school. I was having a tough time deciding on the tablet so I thought I would post my experience using the Note 10.1 for productivity the last week. Any comparison I have is to the HP Touchpad running android ICS. Here is some key points.

The Good:

1. The Note 10.1 is not very heavy, I use it as a notebook and its about the same size and weight as a notebook.
2. The device has darn good battery life, I'm not going to throw numbers around because it varies, but its good.
3. The Note 10.1 is of good quality. THe one I have does not creak, has good sound and what I consider a quality screen. Side by side compared to my HP Touchpad of similar pixels, there is no comparison, the Note 10.1 is FAR superior in picture quality and color saturation.
4. The S-Pen is very useful. Best thing about Note devices in general, you can use them in class and people don't assume your on facebook or texting, simply because you have a pen in your hand. I don't have a facebook anyhow but the perception is different.
5. The software is solid, it does not lag, it does not shut off, it just works, at least so far.
6. The device is pretty close to a desktop replacement for me, the multitasking really opens up the options and works pretty well.

The Bad:

1. When using the device at school (I have very long days in one classroom), it can't be sat upright AND be on the charger. I have the samsung book-cover case and when it is upright, since the charging port is on the bottom, it won't plug in.
2. Proprietary cable, I know there are some good things, but my touchpad had micro USB and I think it was nice to have a standard.

I'll comment on battery... I think it's great

Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367721898738.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367721898738.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 201
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367721915839.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367721915839.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 184

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The Good:

The Bad:

If you get a 360 case you can rotate the tablet while in the case so that the charging port would then be on the top and you can charge that way. I kind of like the 30 pin connector as it is more hefty, I have seen so many people complain about damaged micro usb charging ports on other device forum pages. Playbook and kindle fire especially. Just my 2 cents........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fosmon-Leather-Folio-Stand-Case-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10-1-Dark-Purple-/290833896213?pt=US_Tablet_eReader_Cases_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&hash=item43b70d1315

$(KGrHqV,!isFC8TOd7BSBQ08UOQ5OQ~~60_57.JPG