[Q] Custom ROM for Ramos X10F anyone?

Search This thread

G0bble

Aug 25, 2013
Hello

I recently purchased a Ramos X10F on an impulse buy on a trip to the PP last month. I had been waiting longer than a year for an 8" 4:3 device that was not Apple with expandable memory and this one just made me succumb. Also I fell for the false data in marketing it as a cortex A9 and I thought a quad core A9 should be faster than my dual core A9 in the n7000. Actually it is a A5 or A7 (device details in cpuz mention some A7 blah).

The device has great potential to be an ipad mini killer as the hardware fit and finish is very good, the screen is IPS and it weighs only 360 grams. I can hold it in one had lying in bed without tiring myself. However performance is marred by the stock android 4.1.1. Intially I thought it was slow nand flash as when I enabled cpu stats, the nand-rw-flash process appeared to be the top process for a longish time, each time it stalled. However I later discovered, the device is very laggy when Wifi is on while actual WiFi throughput is very good - I get almost full speed 16mbs in the speedtest.net results. Unfortunately even with entropy seeder and a deadline or noop scheduler, the lagginess is only partially improved. Also the old linux/android decision of using input to randomize and seed the entropy is only good for desktops not servers or touchpads. I have to tap a few times to get a app screen to respond inexplicably and suddenly and it shows that the OS was waiting on input. The device is best for streaming as typically once the app is opened I never have a problem with lag a it is typically 30 mins of iewing before switching apps. Otherwise the poor performance means a task that should take normal time (like reading news in the morning for 15 mins) takes more than twice the time as I have to struggle with the slow app launches and screen loading mostly. But if Wifi is switched off and content is cached, everything is smooth and much better. Battery life is decent with display brightness set around or below 10% typically.

So my recommendation for a new buyer is - dont buy until a custom ROM is made available. Dont fall for the x10pro video on the utube yet. Real world performance is not the same. Once the smoothness of the 4.4.3 is acheived it will be a killer product.

I would like to upgrade the android from its 4.1.1 to a 4.4.x version. Also this version is vulnerable to heartbleed and the openssl bug that came after that in June 2014. The omnirom 4.4.3 on my n7000 is really smooth and I am hoping somebody will develop a custom rom for this device.
But I dont see a custom ROM or CWM for this anywhere. I installed a CWM recovery for another ATM7029 device (yarvik) and it boots, but I forgot about the display driver compatibility and I can no longer view the menu in recovery mode. Otherwise rooted it and running ok.

The specifications of the device are as follows:

CPU: Quad Core ATM7029
GPU: Vivante GC1000
RAM 1GB,DDR3 --> False. Real RAM is 686MB.
Storage 8GB
Screen: Capacitive Touchscreen, 1024*768 Full resolution Screen
Size: 7.85 inch
Resolution: 1024*768 Pixels
Flash: Support Flash 11.0 and HTML 5
Extend Card Support TF card up to 32GB extended
Camera Dual Camera Front 2.0M,Back 5.0M
Gravity Sensor Yes
Multi-Touch Yes, 5 points touch
Android Market Yes
Skype Yes
Email and Browser: Yes, built in
WIFI: Yes, 802.11 b/g/n
3G : support external 3G dongle
OTG Function: Support USB Mouse,Keyboard (2.4GHz)
Support:FAT,FAT32,NTFS
Earphone Interface 3.5mm
Soft:Support TXT,Adobe PDF,Microsoft Office(Word,Excel,PPT)
Video 1080P, AVI/MOV/MP4/RMVB/FLV/MKV…
Music MP3/WMA/WAV/APE/AAC/FLAC/OGG
Ebook UMD, TXT, PDF, HTML, RTF, FB2…
Battery: 4000mAh

What do I need to submit for a developer to build a custom rom for this device? Some kind of dump? ALso need a recovery manager with the right display driver. Either TWRP or CWM.

I hope a developer will volunteer.

Thanks
G0bble