[HOW-TO] Wifi Fix for CM6 [1/2/2011]

Search This thread

HebrewToYou

Feb 9, 2010
DISCLAIMER: Nobody -- and I do mean nobody -- is responsible for a bricked device except for the person attempting this modification. Do not contact me to complain that you borked your Slide by not following instructions.

All credit for this discovery goes to knowmercymod​

Certain Espresso owners running CM6 (or CM6 derivatives) may have discovered that their wifi functionality doesn't work as expected. The issue is well-documented on the CM6 issue tracker [issue 2153] and the cause of the problem is known, but there is no source-based solution at the moment. As such, there's no easy way to distribute a fix for working wifi within a packaged CM6 zip.

The issue relates to missing GPL'd drivers for the MSM7227 chipset from Qualcomm that is used in several devices, most notably the HTC Espresso, Legend and Aria. But due to small versioning differences in certain aspects of this chipset, some devices have functioning wifi using the generic open-source SDIO modules and others do not. The permanent solution for this issue is cajoling HTC into releasing this code -- this process is already underway -- but, in the meantime, this thread will serve to provide a temporary solution that is 100% effective.

So let's get started...

Step 1: Downloading the necessary files

Attached to this post are the two files necessary to fix this issue:

sdio.ko
tiwlan_drv.ko

They both come from *stock* Espresso -- the code currently in use in the CM6 repository does not generate fully-functional versions of these modules.

Download the "modules.zip" file to your PC and extract the two files to an easily accessible location.

Step 2: Backing up the corresponding files on your device [optional]

This optional step will walk you through backing up the existing files on your device. This is completely unnecessary as those files can simply be restored by re-flashing a CM6 zip, but I figured that people should get in the habit of backing up stock files before modifying their device.

To do so, execute the following two commands -- both can be done while the phone is booted up or in recovery (if you're in ClockworkMod recovery, just make sure your system partition is mounted -- partitions->mount /system):

Code:
ADB PULL /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko [DESTINATION]
ADB PULL /system/lib/modules/sdio.ko [DESTINATION]

To use my PC as an example, I would connect my Slide via USB and enter the following commands on the command line:

Code:
ADB PULL /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko ~/Documents/Android/Backup
ADB PULL /system/lib/modules/sdio.ko ~/Documents/Android/Backup

Step 3: Replacing the files on your device

So now we're ready to make the actual modification. First step: boot into recovery. My preferred method is to use the ADB REBOOT RECOVERY command.

Once you're in ClockworkMod Recovery, please make sure system is mounted -- partitions->mount /system

Then you would simply execute these two commands:

Code:
ADB PUSH [SOURCE]/tiwlan_drv.ko /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko
ADB PUSH [SOURCE]/sdio.ko /system/lib/modules/sdio.ko

To use my PC as an example, I would enter the following commands on the command line:

Code:
ADB PUSH ~/Downloads/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko
ADB PUSH ~/Downloads/modules/sdio.ko /system/lib/modules/sdio.ko

Once you've pushed these files, simply reboot your device and you're done! You should no longer have any issues with your wifi connectivity, including (but not limited to) full wifi tether functionality when using the Wireless Tether 2.0.5 application.

And, again, all credit for this temporary fix goes to knowmercymod (who is far too humble to post this himself).

Attachments

• modules.zip
    409.2 KB · Views: 1,106

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
USA
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge
I hope this fixes my frequent disconnects, but on the legend section they fixed the problem by changing the channels to 14 instead of 11, not sure if that will work for espresso.

ryanshowers

Aug 2, 2008
UPDATE: Works great! Thanks for posting this.

Very exciting news! I'll fully charge and try this fix. Looking forward to using CM instead of stock.

Last edited:

droopypillow

Oct 2, 2009
Just pushed the files to cyanoginger 1.1.. wifi and wifi tether both appear to work perfectly now

meirg

Jun 29, 2010
Beit Shemesh, Israel
Cool, thanks for posting!

I did it, not sure if it did anything. Weird thing is, after pushing the 2 files I noticed I forgot to mount the system folder but it said it transfered successfully.. *shrugs*

I think tethering was working before, either way though, it works now :)

psouth

Jan 2, 2011
Awesome! Thanks so much for the hard work. I know you guys will manage a perm fix via a regular rom soon. HTC will cough up that source code for ya ;)

eratosthene

Mar 5, 2009
Just chiming in to say this works for me. Takes a little longer now to connect to an access point than it used to, but rock solid after that. With s-off, didn't even have to be in recovery, just mounted system rw, pushed files, and rebooted.

Sent from my MyTouch 3G Slide running CM6.1.1

MusicMan374

Jun 25, 2010
Kirkland, WA
I keep getting a "out of space" error when I go to copy the files.

Please help.

If you have not applied s-off patch by alpharev, then you have to push the files while in clockwork recovery, after going to the partitions menu and selecting mount /system. If you are in fact s-off, you have to use a terminal emulator and type [code}mount -o rw,remount /system[/code] and then push the files

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide

xaodxkevin

Oct 24, 2010
Las Vegas
CM6 wifi works fine for me, but would these drivers work better with my phone anyways since they're specifically made for this phone?

Hayzie

Dec 27, 2009
I refuse to connect my phone to my pc. Is there any way to get these files pushed onto my phone? Terminal Emulator work? If not, it's cool. Wifi seems to be working for the most part under CM6.

HebrewToYou

Feb 9, 2010
CM6 wifi works fine for me, but would these drivers work better with my phone anyways since they're specifically made for this phone?
It depends. These files are taken *directly* from the stock espresso rom and are known-good. If you're not having any issues with wifi running CM6 I don't feel comfortable telling you this will "improve" anything -- but I don't think it would hurt. In any case, if you follow my instructions you will have backed up the original files and can restore them at any time.
I refuse to connect my phone to my pc. Is there any way to get these files pushed onto my phone? Terminal Emulator work? If not, it's cool. Wifi seems to be working for the most part under CM6.
Uhhhh -- why? That seems incredibly myopic and weird. You know what -- never mind -- I don't want to know. You can use a terminal emulator on the device to move the two files from your sdcard to their rightful place on /system. I'll leave it as an exercise to the user to figure out the correct commands to do so.

Hayzie

Dec 27, 2009
Well I'll tell you anyways... MyTouch Slide always acts funny when plugged via USB to my pc, more-or-less so Windows 7. I could say this is an uncommon issue, but it's not. So it's not weird.

etu_aty

Jun 27, 2010
Mine works just fine, whats funny about it when u plug it in? Sorry to bring this up here herbrewtoyou but im curious lol

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

ApeMan911

Jan 4, 2011
Hey guys I just pushed the 2 files to my phone, I'm running CM 6.1.1-Slide - since I flashed to 6.1 and then reflashed to 6.1.1 I have had 0 Wifi capability. So I push these files and followed the instructions, and well I still have no wifi. I will enable it and it will scan, try to authenticate and then disconnect and repeat.......any ideas???

HebrewToYou

Feb 9, 2010
Hey guys I just pushed the 2 files to my phone, I'm running CM 6.1.1-Slide - since I flashed to 6.1 and then reflashed to 6.1.1 I have had 0 Wifi capability. So I push these files and followed the instructions, and well I still have no wifi. I will enable it and it will scan, try to authenticate and then disconnect and repeat.......any ideas???
Sounds like an issue with your router...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER: Nobody -- and I do mean nobody -- is responsible for a bricked device except for the person attempting this modification. Do not contact me to complain that you borked your Slide by not following instructions.

All credit for this discovery goes to knowmercymod​

Certain Espresso owners running CM6 (or CM6 derivatives) may have discovered that their wifi functionality doesn't work as expected. The issue is well-documented on the CM6 issue tracker [issue 2153] and the cause of the problem is known, but there is no source-based solution at the moment. As such, there's no easy way to distribute a fix for working wifi within a packaged CM6 zip.

The issue relates to missing GPL'd drivers for the MSM7227 chipset from Qualcomm that is used in several devices, most notably the HTC Espresso, Legend and Aria. But due to small versioning differences in certain aspects of this chipset, some devices have functioning wifi using the generic open-source SDIO modules and others do not. The permanent solution for this issue is cajoling HTC into releasing this code -- this process is already underway -- but, in the meantime, this thread will serve to provide a temporary solution that is 100% effective.

So let's get started...

Step 1: Downloading the necessary files

Attached to this post are the two files necessary to fix this issue:

sdio.ko
    tiwlan_drv.ko

They both come from *stock* Espresso -- the code currently in use in the CM6 repository does not generate fully-functional versions of these modules.

Download the "modules.zip" file to your PC and extract the two files to an easily accessible location.

Step 2: Backing up the corresponding files on your device [optional]

This optional step will walk you through backing up the existing files on your device. This is completely unnecessary as those files can simply be restored by re-flashing a CM6 zip, but I figured that people should get in the habit of backing up stock files before modifying their device.

To do so, execute the following two commands -- both can be done while the phone is booted up or in recovery (if you're in ClockworkMod recovery, just make sure your system partition is mounted -- partitions->mount /system):

Code:
    ADB PULL /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko [DESTINATION]
    ADB PULL /system/lib/modules/sdio.ko [DESTINATION]

To use my PC as an example, I would connect my Slide via USB and enter the following commands on the command line:

Code:
    ADB PULL /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko ~/Documents/Android/Backup
    ADB PULL /system/lib/modules/sdio.ko ~/Documents/Android/Backup

Step 3: Replacing the files on your device

So now we're ready to make the actual modification. First step: boot into recovery. My preferred method is to use the ADB REBOOT RECOVERY command.

Once you're in ClockworkMod Recovery, please make sure system is mounted -- partitions->mount /system

Then you would simply execute these two commands:

Code:
    ADB PUSH [SOURCE]/tiwlan_drv.ko /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko
    ADB PUSH [SOURCE]/sdio.ko /system/lib/modules/sdio.ko

To use my PC as an example, I would enter the following commands on the command line:

Code:
    ADB PUSH ~/Downloads/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko
    ADB PUSH ~/Downloads/modules/sdio.ko /system/lib/modules/sdio.ko

Once you've pushed these files, simply reboot your device and you're done! You should no longer have any issues with your wifi connectivity, including (but not limited to) full wifi tether functionality when using the Wireless Tether 2.0.5 application.

And, again, all credit for this temporary fix goes to knowmercymod (who is far too humble to post this himself).
    Good luck

Hello folks. I really appreciate hebrew putting this article up... a lot of work went into figuring out what the issue was and even moreso, how to fix it. To sum up a few things; First if you're not seeing an issue with wifi currently it's perfectly fine to install these modules. Secondly, I'd like to explain a little bit more on the issue at hand. A small handful of folks noticed their wifi wasn't working reliably after the froyo update (maybe sooner we haven't bothered to assert when the issue was introduced). The issue was initially identified as "weirdness" but after looking at dmesg and logcat we were able to pinpoint and reproduce the issue quickly by firing up google maps and scrolling while on wifi and on EDGE or GPRS. You'd see CRC errors and the interface would reset. I have two slides in my household... one had the issue the other did not. We later learned that HTC is using two chips inside the slide for wifi. CM and some other folks that do dev for google likely only have the standard TI1271 chip in their phone which is not affected by the "regression" in the current TI code base. As a side note, HTC has not finished froyo for the slide yet and as such there is no kernel source for this device or this TI module. I'm sure in time it will come... until then we're stuck on .29

Anyhow, if this makes no sense to you go ahead and smile and have a sip of your coffee. For the folks who this might be useful for... please contact me and lets fix this.
    Use "Droid Explorer"

About a week ago I wrote a thread on how much easier it is to drag and drop to and from PC to your Phone as an alternative to using ADB commands (pull or push) all the time. I have a lot of phones and to not include friends, family and coworkers phones for who I root, jailbreak and or modify. This app is great for Android phones and visually easier to look at the folders and files some of these threads ask to access.

You can find my thread in "Touch 3G Slide General"

HTC Espresso: myTouch 3G Slide> myTouch 3G Slide General> Droid Explorer –Alternative to ADB Commands -Easier way to manage files/apps/folders

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=898838

I’m not preaching on how wonderful this app is. I’m just trying to help out and make things easier for those that get lost in some of these ADB commands.