[PATCH] Squared Grid Start Menu mod

Search This thread

ultrashot

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
One more release for today. Topic subject says it all.
Take a look at readme.txt and terms of usage.

P.S. don't install it on stock roms. It won't work. You've been warned

Attachments

• DynamicsSimpleGrid.jpg
    DynamicsSimpleGrid.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,950
Last edited:

Nixeus

Sep 14, 2007
Wow very good Ultrashot ! Nice day :)

I like very well the internet icon , have you please in a 256*256 pixels ?

It will be great for me!

Thanks a lot :)

regards,

Nixeus

leadpoizon

May 31, 2008
This is awesome. I'm SO glad you're still developing stuff for COM2 as well as COM3. Do you think it's possible to bring the movable shortcut feature from COM3 to COM2? It's like the one thing I really long of other than threaded email, haha.

ultrashot

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
This is awesome. I'm SO glad you're still developing stuff for COM2 as well as COM3. Do you think it's possible to bring the movable shortcut feature from COM3 to COM2? It's like the one thing I really long of other than threaded email, haha.
I think no but I will check if it is possible.

Very nice piece of work! BTW I really like you background your using. Would you mind uploading it?
That's my ROM stuff -> no other kinds of usage.

Reactions: ninja1kava

poyensa

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2010
mi patria en mis zapatos
I tried last night but only got a hardresset. I have 29022 cooked with GhostX 7.0.3 OSkitchen, then I installed NewSDKCerts.cab and do a softresset (OK) then copy shell32.exe from WM6.5.3 folder to windows folder of my HD2, then copy the .cpr files and did a softresset, but the device did not pass of second splash screen. Does it means I have WM6.5.5? Thanks in advance! and thanks for all the work you share!!!

poyensa

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2010
mi patria en mis zapatos
Take a look at your kitchen files, and see if he has a bold font fix. It he does, then remove that, and use ultrashot fix for bold fonts...

thanks for the advice ai6, i have unchecked the keyboard font fix with the gwes.exe, then added to the kitchen the utdrv from this link (importing the cab) and i have no bold problem in the keyboard so i understand is working ok.

Then try again the Square Start Menu 6.5.3, but again didnt pass the second splash :confused: I have 29022 ... am I missing some thing else? thanks in advance :)

----

No I cannot get it work :eek: I have cooked GhostX rom (29022) without the fix by gwes.es so get the bold issue in keyboard (and dialpad talk button), then I installed utdrv.cab (thx ultrashot for the fix!) and the bold issue is solved, then try again the Square Start Menu 6.5.3, but again didnt pass the second splash :confused:

I will keep trying :)

Attachments

• 2011-09-19_09-27-28-AM.jpeg
    2011-09-19_09-27-28-AM.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 2011-09-19_08-23-09-AM.jpeg
    2011-09-19_08-23-09-AM.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 2011-09-19_09-30-22-AM.jpeg
    2011-09-19_09-30-22-AM.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Reactions: Skyguar

Skyguar

Jan 23, 2010
thanks for the advice ai6, i have unchecked the keyboard font fix with the gwes.exe, then added to the kitchen the utdrv from this link (importing the cab) and i have no bold problem in the keyboard so i understand is working ok.

Then try again the Square Start Menu 6.5.3, but again didnt pass the second splash :confused: I have 29022 ... am I missing some thing else? thanks in advance :)

----

No I cannot get it work :eek: I have cooked GhostX rom (29022) without the fix by gwes.es so get the bold issue in keyboard (and dialpad talk button), then I installed utdrv.cab (thx ultrashot for the fix!) and the bold issue is solved, then try again the Square Start Menu 6.5.3, but again didnt pass the second splash :confused:

I will keep trying :)

Yeah, the problem is the same for me... Don't know what is incompatible :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One more release for today. Topic subject says it all.
    Take a look at readme.txt and terms of usage.

P.S. don't install it on stock roms. It won't work. You've been warned
    Here is my cpr mod to change the layout to 4 grid (7 in landscape).
    My 4x5 / 6x3 squared grid Startmenu layout (UPDATE)

Hi, Poyensa ! :)

Just finished the perfect fitting 6x3 (with 2 lines 6 size font titles) for landscape, now trying to cram 5 rows in 4 columns portrait mode... :p

When I say "perfect", it's just perfect : no icon top showing from the next row at the bottom of the screen, no text cut by the softkeys bar... ;)

I finally decided to keep using 80x80 only icons in both orientations, as 90x90 icons look too big. Especially as compared with CHT quicklinks in 4-in-a-row setup. So they now all look and feel the same ! ;)

Edit :

OK, Finished the job.

I finally found out how to get rid of the offset between icon position and shortcut launching trigger area : don't use a wider value than actual screen value with a negative "Left" value for "Start Menu Items List" tag, or you'll come into trouble ! :D

I think these settings were originally made to extend the active area left and right from the icons in honeycomb mode, but they now do nothing else than triggering the wrong icon, so have have to be completely removed. The "GridView ID" tag actually divides the active area into "Columns" equal parts, and they have to match the icons grid.

All fixed by setting "Left" values to "0" and using real 480 and 800 width. I had to slightly adjust the selector position to center it correctly after that.

The link to the CAB has been updated, as long as the CPRs text in the "code" below. :)

What's in the CAB :

- CPRs for portrait and landscape WVGA only

- All icons are shrinked to 80x80 pixels

- All titles are 6-size Tahoma fonts, beginning 4 pixels under the icon

- 4 columns x 5 rows portrait setup, icons titles on 3 lines, 120 pixels wide.

3rd lines of title are very close from the next icon, but they still don't overlap. Maybe you could try putting "Top" value to "83" instead of 84 and compare the results : maybe it will be centered. I just didn't go further, as 3 lines titles are still rare enough, and 1 and 2 lines titles just look good like this. :)

Title width has been enlarged to the maximum accpetable width IMO (but you can still change that, or use a different font size - it was originally different between portrait and landscape, but I wanted all the stuff to look the same, including CHT quicklinks - in 4-in-a row mode, of course).

However, when 5 rows of icons are showing, the last 3rd line of long titles is hidden under the softkeys bar ; when scrolling to the bottom, the full titles are visible, but the top row icons will be right under the bottom border of the (top) taskbar.

I think it's hard to get better without shrinking the icons even more... :p

- 6 columns x 3 rows landscape setup, icons titles on 2 lines, 154 pixels wide.

I tried to get 6 x 4 icons setup and ended up with no titles at all showing... LMAO :D

This setup is neat and clean, as each icon and text is declared to exactly 1/3 of the available screen height between the taskbar and the softkeys bar.

As a result, any full scroll always stops showing exactly 3 rows of full icons and their titles, what I couldn't really achieve in portrait mode without sacrificing something. :)

I kow some people will argue they'd rather have less larger icons, so they'll pefer using 3x3 or maybe 3x4 layout. Well, it's up to them. I have almost a hundred utilities and applications installed, so some of my folders, even though I'm extensively using subfolders and order all of them, really contain LOTS of shortcuts. ;)

Plus I'm finishing my project for direct access to usual data and documents folder. A friend of mine worked hard on dozens of folder icons I still have to finish making the multi-sizes .ICO versions to put in a DLL. I found a way to open any subfolder located in the Start menu (and actually using WM Startmenu !) from a MortScript I can call from a quicklink ; I may even conclude by adding an additional choice to the HTC Documents tab "Menu" button, as I did already for the ebooks database management ! It's just a matter of modifying an XML and a LUA file. :)

You'll find some screenshots at the end of this post.

CPR files contents :

StartMenu_GridScene_480x800.cpr :
    Code:
    <Form Width="480" Height="800">

<StartMenu_GridScene ID="Scene">

<GridView ID="Start Menu Items List" Top="0" Left="0" Width="480" Height="696" Columns="4" Scrollable="TRUE" HexagonGrid="TRUE" HorizontalWrapAround="TRUE" PaginatedScrolling="TRUE">

<Image ID="Selection" Left="-20" Top="-15" Width="200" Height="175" Source=".\StartMenu_Selection.png" />

<Layer ID="GridItem"  Width="160" Height="140" OnAction ="GridItemAction">
    				<Layer ID="Normal">
    					<Image ID="Image" Left="40" Top="2" Width="80" Height="80" ScaleStyle="Fit" />
    					<Text  ID="Text"  Left="20" Top="84" Width="120" Height="68" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="6" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Top" Wrap="True" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter" ForeColor="#00FFFFFF" BackColor="#00000000">
    						<TextStage TextOffsetType="TextOffsetDropBottomRight" Color="#00000000" TextOffset="2" BlurFactor="5" Alpha="1.0" />
    						<TextStage TextOffsetType="TextOffsetNone" Color="#FFFFFFFF" />
    					</Text>
    				</Layer>
    			</Layer>

<Layer ID="NoItems">
    				<Text ID="Text" Left="25" Top="40" Width="480" Height="40" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="9" ForeColor="#00FFFFFF" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Center" Trimming="Character" InnerTextType="Resource">shellres.dll,22596</Text>
    			</Layer>

</GridView>

</StartMenu_GridScene>

</Form>

StartMenu_GridScene_800x480.cpr :
    Code:
    <Form Width="800" Height="480">

<StartMenu_GridScene ID="Scene">

<GridView ID="Start Menu Items List" Top="0" Left="0" Width="800" Height="376" Columns="6" Scrollable="TRUE" HexagonGrid="TRUE" HorizontalWrapAround="TRUE" PaginatedScrolling="TRUE">

<Image ID="Selection" Left="-17" Top="-15" Width="200" Height="175" Source=".\StartMenu_Selection.png" />

<Layer ID="GridItem"  Width="170" Height="124" OnAction ="GridItemAction">
    				<Layer ID="Normal">
    					<Image ID="Image" Left="45" Top="2" Width="80" Height="80" ScaleStyle="Fit" />
    					<Text  ID="Text"  Left="7" Top="84" Width="154" Height="68" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="6" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Top" Wrap="True" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter" ForeColor="#00FFFFFF" BackColor="#00000000" >
    						<TextStage TextOffsetType="TextOffsetDropBottomRight" Color="#00000000" TextOffset="2" BlurFactor="5" Alpha="1.0" />
    						<TextStage TextOffsetType="TextOffsetNone" Color="#FFFFFFFF" />
    					</Text>
    				</Layer>
    			</Layer>

<Layer ID="NoItems">
    				<Text ID="Text" Left="20" Top="20" Width="800" Height="40" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="9" ForeColor="#00FFFFFF" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Center" Trimming="Character" InnerTextType="Resource">shellres.dll,22596</Text>
    			</Layer>

</GridView>

</StartMenu_GridScene>

</Form>

How to install the 4x5 / 6x3 square Start menu :

1) Copy the modified shell32.exe matching your Windows Mobile build from Ultrashot's RAR archive ;

2) Install the CAB from the link at the bottom of this post. Destination doesn't matter, as target folder is hardcoded.

Cheers, and many thanks to Ultrashot. :)
    it works when cook the sell32.exe & StartMenu_GridScene.cpr directly in the OSkitchen :)

keep testing ....

First impression is working fine, just the .cpr has to be renamed StartMenuCust_400x800.cpr in this rom