Nexus 10 internal storage became read-only

Search This thread

A1exander_Z

Feb 6, 2014
I have a sudden and strange problem with my Nexus 10 bought about two months ago. The ROM is stock Android 4.4.2 (automatic OTA update from original 4.2), not rooted. It seems that its internal storage became read-only. First, the tablet started to reboot every 10 minutes or so and tried to update some of the installed applications after every restart. I have tried to uninstall them and found that after reboot they are back and that writing to internal storage does not work. Installing, uninstalling and updating applications, saving application settings, deleting and copying files, both using a file manager on the tablet and through MTP - nothing works. After restart everything is back to the state before writing. Resetting to factory defaults from the Settings menu and from recovery (factory reset/data wipe) also does not work (in the latter case the tablet freezes on a screen showing that formatting /data is in progress). Any ideas? At least, I would like to delete some personal documents from the tablet before sending it for repair or replacement.

spamdigger

Mar 7, 2011
I'm in the same position. Was running CM 11 nightlies... running fine for weeks. Starting last week it's stuck in this mode i.e. every time I do a reload, it's as if it doesn't remember anything that was previously done (like app updates). Any attempt to do a factory reset, copy a new image etc. just gets ignored - device just reboots and goes back to it's previous state.

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
I would suggest using fastboot to wipe all partitions, this would involve unlocking bootloader. Then I would flash the factory image through fastboot as well
(Just Google : android factory images)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: spamdigger

spamdigger

Mar 7, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion. So I tried following:

> fastboot erase boot
> fastboot erase cache
> fastboot erase recovery
> fastboot erase system -w
> fastboot erase userdata
> fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-manta-mantalj12.img
> fastboot reboot-bootloader
> fastboot -w update image-mantaray-jdq39.zip

Had to use 4.2.2 factory image since that's the version of bootloader I had. All the commands seems to complete OK.. at the end, device reboots... but CM 11 loads again as if nothing had been changed! It's as if the erase commands have no affect.

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
So the output in cmd/terminal says successful for each command but at the end nothing happened? This is very strange to me... Can you try again and post the input/output from terminal?

spamdigger

Mar 7, 2011
So the output in cmd/terminal says successful for each command but at the end nothing happened? This is very strange to me... Can you try again and post the input/output from terminal?

I tried with "fastboot flash" steps too... but same issue. After reboot, goes right back to CM.

S:\android\wugs\data>fastboot devices
R32CB03R8KW fastboot

S:\android\wugs\data>fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-manta-mantalj12.img
sending 'bootloader' (1280 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.162s]
writing 'bootloader'...
OKAY [ 0.095s]
finished. total time: 0.259s

S:\android\wugs\data>fastboot erase system -w
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this partition?
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 0.020s]
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 0.019s]
formatting 'userdata' partition...
Creating filesystem with parameters:
Size: 14273216512
Block size: 4096
Blocks per group: 32768
Inodes per group: 8144
Inode size: 256
Journal blocks: 32768
Label:
Blocks: 3484672
Block groups: 107
Reserved block group size: 855
Created filesystem with 11/871408 inodes and 96018/3484672 blocks
sending 'userdata' (137478 KB)...
writing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 19.662s]
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 0.018s]
formatting 'cache' partition...
Creating filesystem with parameters:
Size: 553648128
Block size: 4096
Blocks per group: 32768
Inodes per group: 6768
Inode size: 256
Journal blocks: 2112
Label:
Blocks: 135168
Block groups: 5
Reserved block group size: 39
Created filesystem with 11/33840 inodes and 4363/135168 blocks
sending 'cache' (10372 KB)...
writing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 1.465s]
finished. total time: 21.186s

S:\android\wugs\data>fastboot erase recovery
erasing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.019s]
finished. total time: 0.020s

S:\android\wugs\data>fastboot erase boot
erasing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.019s]
finished. total time: 0.019s

S:\android\wugs\data>fastboot flash system system.img
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 0.019s]
sending 'system' (522703 KB)...
OKAY [ 65.509s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 4.250s]
finished. total time: 69.778s

S:\android\wugs\data>fastboot flash boot boot.img
sending 'boot' (4608 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.580s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.018s]
finished. total time: 0.598s

S:\android\wugs\data>fastboot flash cache cache.img
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 0.018s]
sending 'cache' (10372 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.301s]
writing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 0.088s]
finished. total time: 1.411s

S:\android\wugs\data>fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 0.019s]
sending 'userdata' (137478 KB)...
OKAY [ 17.234s]
writing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 0.588s]
finished. total time: 17.842s

S:\android\wugs\data>fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-ma
nta.img
sending 'recovery' (6296 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.792s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.019s]
finished. total time: 0.812s

S:\android\wugs\data>fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.001s

S:\android\wugs\data>​

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
...this I have never encountered. I assume these are all manually entered commands and the wugs is just the name of the folder the factory images are in correct? As in you aren't using a toolkit to do this? If not then it appears you are doing everything correct and I can not see why it isn't erasing or flashing the new images
The only other suggestions I have would be try a different PC, maybe a Linux live disc or something, or try another USB cable. But its unlikely to help but nonetheless worth a shot.
Or if you can find the proper images to be used in Odin or hiemdal you could try going into download mode and see if a factory flash this way will help. Note I haven't used download mode on my n10 before but many times on other Sammy devices
Try any of the above and if I can think of more I'll post back
Best of luck!

spamdigger

Mar 7, 2011
Yep.. indeed it is very strange. The wugs directory is just where adb/fastboot are located (I'm using the adb/fastboot that wugs creates vs. downloading the sdk)... and the factory image is unzipped in the same dir. All commands are being manually entered. Using a windows 8 laptop with OEM USB cable.

I haven't used odin or hiemdal before... but will search and see how.

I've had this N10 since it launched... and it's had some sort of custom rom ever since... never had a problem. I switched to CM11 back in december, and it has been fine... even doing updates. But now it's stuck in this state. I can copy a new rom to the device, but when I reboot and go into recovery and try to install it, the rom file has been removed. Every time it reboots it goes and re-downloads app updates that came in the past week or two... installs them without issue.. and functions fairly normally. But if a reboot is triggered, it goes back to its old state. I also have to re-enable Developer mode and USB debugging every time after reboot.

Anyway, I'll keep digging.

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
well being this stroked my curiosity i figured i would spend a few minuets looking into this, and it appears others have indeed had this issue. most commonly with samsung devices.
I feel there must be a fix of sorts out there, but i dont have time to dig more, but i thought i would through up a few links that summarize what i found
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2627703&page=4
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1704646
http://androidforums.com/incredible...internal-phone-storage-becomes-read-only.html
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2193499
there were many more i looked at but these were just the tabs i have opened.
Ill dig some more tonight but it what is being said is true, your internal sd is failing you. if you still have a warranty im not sure if they will except it as there is a custom rom/recovery on there but many have said RMA works fine even with this on a nexus. otherwise it may be possible to do a full brick with dd commands if you want to send it back completely bricked... any way hope you find some way of getting working again!

Reactions: spamdigger

spamdigger

Mar 7, 2011
Useful links... I'll go through them. Hopefully something there will work.

My warranty is out though.. it's over a year since I bought it :(

mrgnex

Jan 10, 2013
Vlaardingen
This is also an issue on some galaxy nexus'. It is a fried EMMC chip im afraid. The internal storage is ruined and needs to be replaced. I didnt know this was possible on the Nexus 10 and maybe im wrong but it has all the signs..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

spamdigger

Mar 7, 2011
Thanks for all the links guys... I think this appears to be some sort of hardware issue. I'm reluctant to tinker further in case I make it worse. Right now it is usable as long as I don't try to update the rom or run certain apps. I'll keep stumbling along until the N10 replacement (N11?) comes out... gives me an excuse to buy it ;)

XxLordxX

Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Hi,

For more it looks like a dead end (even fastboot didn't work!), I think you should try one more thing, I'm highly skeptical that it will work, but now I guess every little bit will be something.

First reboot to your recovery. Then plug it to your PC and go to your and folder, now type:
Code:
adb shell
su
touch /sdcard/null
cd /dev/block/platform/dw_mmc.0/by-name/
dd if=/sdcard/null of=system
dd if=/sdcard/null of=userdata
dd if=/sdcard/null of=boot

If the command went trough rightly, it will format your system, kernel (boot) and data. If this doesn't work I'm out of ideas, I was going to suggest things that were already suggested here, so it only left me with this. I just want to tell you that if something goes wrong and it stops working, I'm not responsible for it. If the command works, then it's all about flashing a new ROM.

~Lord

"Time is too short to cry, long enough to try." - March of Time (Helloween)
Sent from my KitKat Nexus 10

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would suggest using fastboot to wipe all partitions, this would involve unlocking bootloader. Then I would flash the factory image through fastboot as well
    (Just Google : android factory images)

well being this stroked my curiosity i figured i would spend a few minuets looking into this, and it appears others have indeed had this issue. most commonly with samsung devices.
    I feel there must be a fix of sorts out there, but i dont have time to dig more, but i thought i would through up a few links that summarize what i found
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2627703&page=4
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1704646
    http://androidforums.com/incredible...internal-phone-storage-becomes-read-only.html
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2193499
    there were many more i looked at but these were just the tabs i have opened.
    Ill dig some more tonight but it what is being said is true, your internal sd is failing you. if you still have a warranty im not sure if they will except it as there is a custom rom/recovery on there but many have said RMA works fine even with this on a nexus. otherwise it may be possible to do a full brick with dd commands if you want to send it back completely bricked... any way hope you find some way of getting working again!