Help me to Find the Lapdock for Droid 3

Search This thread

bogdan_wrc

Nov 22, 2008
ok, so i received the dock today, changed the connectos, connected the phone (its not 100% connected, there is still 10% of the silver part of the connectors which remain outside), but the screen does not start.
connected to the outlet..and still no answer.
shall i try something else?

bogdan_wrc

Nov 22, 2008
so i managed to make it work, but it shows me its connected to dock, only when the lid is closed. once i open the lid, the phone disconnects. any help?

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
so i managed to make it work, but it shows me its connected to dock, only when the lid is closed. once i open the lid, the phone disconnects. any help?

You could try plugging in only one of the two cables by opening the lapdock and unscrewing them. If you just plug in HDMI it should work similar to when you connect it to a TV with HDMI. Then try microUSB once you know the display/HDMI works.

Reactions: bogdan_wrc

husker_fan

May 13, 2012
In case anyone is wondering I never got mine to work. The hdmi appears to work as the display is mirrored, but thats it. No sound or anything. It must me the usb that doesnt work.

I really want this to work as its not only cheap, but would be very convenient for me at work.

Is it possible its just a defective unit and ordering a new one from a different website would result in positive results?

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
In case anyone is wondering I never got mine to work. The hdmi appears to work as the display is mirrored, but thats it. No sound or anything. It must me the usb that doesnt work.

I really want this to work as its not only cheap, but would be very convenient for me at work.

Is it possible its just a defective unit and ordering a new one from a different website would result in positive results?

Sound is sent over HDMI so that should work even without USB. Do you have an HDMI capable TV and a microHDMI to HDMI cable that you could test with to see if your phone can send picture/sound over HDMI. This is supported by the Droid 3 so it should work fine no matter what unless your lapdock is defective. USB on the other hand isn't really supported and can be troublesome at times, but it should at least charge.

husker_fan

May 13, 2012
the usb doesnt do anything at all, when I plug it in there is no change at all on the lapdock or the phone, no charging or anything. I've tried more than one phone as well.

I'm about 99% sure its the lapdock. It came with instructions from a foreign country, so who no knows if it was a refurb or just junk that was pawned off on me. I'd attempt a refund, but since a dremel on the plastic and wouldnt warranty it, even though that has nothing to do with the ports (I didn't damage them).

gunsjoe

Dec 1, 2010
my 100 works

So after I got the dock took it apart and looked closely, there are plastic boots around the connectors that are basically d shaped so when you try to turn the connectors around they don't fit correctly although you can mess with it and make it work it seemed to me that it is very hard to get the usb connector to connect every time. You have to remove the metallic tape to see the shape of the boots. You can see the shape of one of the plastic boots in the attached photo (sorry for the glare).

My fix was to use a hot knife cut the boots in half, take them off, flip them around and hot glue them back into place. After this procedure the connectors are are held in place correctly. Also plugging them into the phone before screwing the bracket down helped tremendously. The nice part of hot glue is you can just pull it apart and scrape it off if things are not just right.

I accidentally broke three wires on the usb connector and had to re-solder them. Then it took fixing one of the wires twice. I also made the holes larger before trying to put it together. It took about 6 tries in all to get it right (including just turning the connectors around before I was determined to dramatically improve it). Then I put a little more hot glue along the bottom of the connectors to strengthen up the wires. I used a wedge shaped grinder on each end of the mount to knock the ridges down as well. I didn't put the little spacer plastic back. The phone fits great and the connectors are very stable.

Now over 95% of the time I dock it and it just works. There has been a few times where the screen didn't go to the correct size or the sound didn't work and once hdmi didn't detect anything but I feel confident it will work every time I go to use it and reconnecting it fixes it.

I have a stock global d3 rooted, swipe is turned off so I don't see that issue and I love this thing.

I took it on vacation and played Lushington Springs with a bluetooth mouse everywhere I went. Everyone asked about it and it works so good I even connected a couple other people's phones (a bionic and a razor). I watched movies on the airplane it is small enough to have it fully open on your lap while sitting on the plane. The keyboard is great and typing txt messages on this is a pleasure. Anyhow I can't recommend getting a lapdock enough.

Attachments

• lapdock100.png
    lapdock100.png
    210.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Reactions: MrPib

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
So guys, any info or ideas, how to get real resolution on a screen?
Something like realHDMI on DroidX?

All that program seems to do is make the DroidX's HDMI mirror everything like the Droid 3's already does. What we need is a way to send video out the HDMI only and also not have it upscale, similar to how it works on the Bionic/Razr. They are basically the same hardware so it should work, unless there isn't enough RAM allocated to the graphics on our Droid 3s.

This would work ideal under ICS or JB since they support switching between tablet and phone UIs, you could have it switch to tablet mode while changing resolutions when HDMI is connected. I'm just not sure if its possible. Maybe something kexec could manage but it would likely be low on the priority list.

husker_fan

May 13, 2012
Well I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered another lapdock (from Amazon this time) and it came in the mail yesteday and it works! I am typing this messge from it. I am vey happy with it so far, I just wish the mouse moved a little faster, I'm assuming thee isn't much I can do about that though.

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
Well I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered another lapdock (from Amazon this time) and it came in the mail yesteday and it works! I am typing this messge from it. I am vey happy with it so far, I just wish the mouse moved a little faster, I'm assuming thee isn't much I can do about that though.

I'm guessing you got the Atrix one and did the port flip thing again?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My lapdick experience

I received my Atrix dock and really like it so far. I had to do quite a bit of trimming on the plastic dock to make the D3 sit properly and make a reliable connection. It works well and I really like it. Played with it for about a day now, Netflix is nice on bigger screen,texting is good, Angry Birds is good. I also like that it charges the phone battery.

All in all it took about an hour of plastic trimming and test fitting. I added one item as peace of mind for myself. Once the phone is docked I have a black Velcro cable tie a wrap around the phone and dock connector so I can move and not be to worried about the phone falling or the connectors being subjected to more stress than needed.
    so, let me see if i get this right.
    lapdock 100 works fine, and at lapdock for atrix/bionic i need to flip around the connectors?
    or is the same flip for any lapdocks?

(can i get a more detailed explanation of how to flip what? )
    thank you.

i am thinking of buying this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bion..._1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1334727926&sr=1-4

The HDMI and USB connectors need to be flipped. It's easy to do, just flip up the phone dock, locate the two little black circular stickers, remove them and unscrew the screws underneath. Then, the phone dock pops open to reveal the USB and HDMI connectors. Unscrew the bracket holding them in place, flip them over, and put the bracket back on. The HDMI plug is a little bit tricky, but it works. Then, you will have to shave down the left side of where the phone sits so it can fully dock.

Good luck!
    It looks like they are both the same thing, except for the shape of the dock. It's a little plastic piece that pops out and it shapes to the phone (Atrix 4G or Droid Bionic) and the ports might be flipped from one to the other. Go with the cheaper one.

You could try plugging in only one of the two cables by opening the lapdock and unscrewing them. If you just plug in HDMI it should work similar to when you connect it to a TV with HDMI. Then try microUSB once you know the display/HDMI works.
    my 100 works

So after I got the dock took it apart and looked closely, there are plastic boots around the connectors that are basically d shaped so when you try to turn the connectors around they don't fit correctly although you can mess with it and make it work it seemed to me that it is very hard to get the usb connector to connect every time. You have to remove the metallic tape to see the shape of the boots. You can see the shape of one of the plastic boots in the attached photo (sorry for the glare).

My fix was to use a hot knife cut the boots in half, take them off, flip them around and hot glue them back into place. After this procedure the connectors are are held in place correctly. Also plugging them into the phone before screwing the bracket down helped tremendously. The nice part of hot glue is you can just pull it apart and scrape it off if things are not just right.

I accidentally broke three wires on the usb connector and had to re-solder them. Then it took fixing one of the wires twice. I also made the holes larger before trying to put it together. It took about 6 tries in all to get it right (including just turning the connectors around before I was determined to dramatically improve it). Then I put a little more hot glue along the bottom of the connectors to strengthen up the wires. I used a wedge shaped grinder on each end of the mount to knock the ridges down as well. I didn't put the little spacer plastic back. The phone fits great and the connectors are very stable.

Now over 95% of the time I dock it and it just works. There has been a few times where the screen didn't go to the correct size or the sound didn't work and once hdmi didn't detect anything but I feel confident it will work every time I go to use it and reconnecting it fixes it.

I have a stock global d3 rooted, swipe is turned off so I don't see that issue and I love this thing.

I took it on vacation and played Lushington Springs with a bluetooth mouse everywhere I went. Everyone asked about it and it works so good I even connected a couple other people's phones (a bionic and a razor). I watched movies on the airplane it is small enough to have it fully open on your lap while sitting on the plane. The keyboard is great and typing txt messages on this is a pleasure. Anyhow I can't recommend getting a lapdock enough.