FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] FM + TV on AOSP?

1,297 posts
Thanks Meter: 267

By sauprankul, Senior Member on 28th May 2013, 08:39 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everybody,
I like the FM and TV apps. They replace two rather clunky devices. I also like ROMs like PAC, AOKP and CM. None of which have the former.
Is there a (preferably free) way to get TV and FM on AOSP roms? Or is there something like closed source drivers preventing this?
I tried Spirit FM, it didn't work.

Thanks,
sauprankul
28th May 2013, 09:32 PM |#2  
Flag St. Clairsville, OH
Thanks Meter: 166

More
I don't think the FM radio app works on aosp. I do know that tunein radio works. Its an FM radio but runs through the network connection. Its not exactly what you were looking for but it may help.
30th May 2013, 02:15 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3tr0s

I don't think the FM radio app works on aosp. I do know that tunein radio works. Its an FM radio but runs through the network connection. Its not exactly what you were looking for but it may help.

I know that the app doesn't work, but I was hoping for a mod or app that would replace it.
Tunein isn't as clear and Sprint doesn't have very good coverage around here (yet, they say).
Oh well.
30th May 2013, 06:00 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 440

More
Might work for FM radio http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=13379669

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta
30th May 2013, 06:48 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 62

More
for the tv i think peel should work
8th June 2013, 02:04 AM |#6  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,166

Donate to Me
More
Outside of Asia and a prototype or 2, there are no "over the air" TV chips in Android devices, AFAICT.

A few people have reported my FM app works OK on HTC One. And at least one said it didn't work. AFAIK, my app Spirit is the only non stock app that will work (for "real" over the air FM), and I've heard no indication that will change anytime soon.

The Sprint HTC One has a stock FM app, right ?

I will likely buy and officially support the HTC One within a few months.
8th June 2013, 05:27 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 269

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

Outside of Asia and a prototype or 2, there are no "over the air" TV chips in Android devices, AFAICT.

A few people have reported my FM app works OK on HTC One. And at least one said it didn't work. AFAIK, my app Spirit is the only non stock app that will work (for "real" over the air FM), and I've heard no indication that will change anytime soon.

The Sprint HTC One has a stock FM app, right ?

I will likely buy and officially support the HTC One within a few months.

I don't think the OP was referring to an "over-the-air" TV app, but rather the TV app on stock HTC ONEs that basically turn your phone into a remote.
8th June 2013, 07:25 PM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoreaper

I don't think the OP was referring to an "over-the-air" TV app, but rather the TV app on stock HTC ONEs that basically turn your phone into a remote.

OP can clarify but when he says "...way to get TV..." it certainly sounds like he's asking for an OTA TV type app.

For TV etc. remote control, there ARE several apps on Play, and I think at least one of them works with the HTC One specific IR blaster hardware.
10th June 2013, 08:24 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Oops, my bad.
I meant the app named TV, which allows me to use the IR blaster. I looked it up on the play store, only got apps that used network, links?
And I thought I had posted this a while back, but I get no audio from Spirit FM. (I'll try it again?) EDIT: Yeah, no audio... Am I supposed to let it scan networks or wait for it to tune or something?
Rirere
10th June 2013, 02:09 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

OP can clarify but when he says "...way to get TV..." it certainly sounds like he's asking for an OTA TV type app.

For TV etc. remote control, there ARE several apps on Play, and I think at least one of them works with the HTC One specific IR blaster hardware.

I don't think the hardware is the problem, but rather the lack of IR support in AOSP.
10th June 2013, 09:16 PM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauprankul

Oops, my bad.
I meant the app named TV, which allows me to use the IR blaster. I looked it up on the play store, only got apps that used network, links?

Here's one of the IR apps on Play (more if you follow "Users who viewed this also viewed") : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...llerbg.irdroid

App description says "Uses and needs external Irdroid module" and indicates it's a port of LIRC.

IR ports and their drivers are relatively simple, compared to audio, graphics, FM, etc.

So I'll bet that somebody will find/build an HTC One AOSP IR solution in the next 3-6 months. I've briefly considered it myself, but there are enough apps out there already IMO for when drivers become available.

BTW, I got the app link from this good thread about things missing from the coming Nexus Experience version: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05...-audio-switch/

My impression right now is that HTC One sales are doing better than many of us expected. The Nexus Experience thing has convinced me that I'll be getting one soon. And Samsung GS4 sales seem lower than expected. I think HTC One is "stealing" some GS4 sales.

My point is that I think HTC One XDA/custom ROM and apps development will do well, and solutions for IR and some other Sense related features will be found.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)