FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

WiMax > LTE?

1,297 posts
Thanks Meter: 267

By sauprankul, Senior Member on 12th June 2013, 06:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Will most areas with Wimax get LTE? I didn't care too much about this until I read that AT&T Ones get both Wimax and LTE. How exactly does this work? Has it to do with the GSM/CDMA thing?

I was with T-mobile before and you could say I was spoiled by their HSPA speeds. Now its normal for me to get anywhere from 80 to 100 kbps with Sprint. Occasionally I get an LTE signal and speeds upto 1.5 mbps. Would I get faster speeds if I had an older, Wimax phone?

Also, I was told by the Sprint rep that the Nextel towers will be converted to LTE. Is this true?
12th June 2013, 07:17 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 217

More
Where'd you read that att models support wimax?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta
12th June 2013, 11:04 AM |#3  
Flag Fayetteville
Thanks Meter: 968

Donate to Me
More
It's magic, considering ATT never deployed wimax whatsoever. Sprint is the only major cellular provider who went with Wimax, everyone else went lte or HSPA+

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to felacio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift felacio Ad-Free
12th June 2013, 12:01 PM |#4  
Flag High Point
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauprankul

Will most areas with Wimax get LTE? I didn't care too much about this until I read that AT&T Ones get both Wimax and LTE. How exactly does this work? Has it to do with the GSM/CDMA thing?

I was with T-mobile before and you could say I was spoiled by their HSPA speeds. Now its normal for me to get anywhere from 80 to 100 kbps with Sprint. Occasionally I get an LTE signal and speeds upto 1.5 mbps. Would I get faster speeds if I had an older, Wimax phone?

Also, I was told by the Sprint rep that the Nextel towers will be converted to LTE. Is this true?

All of this is true except AT&T ONE getting WiMax. As was said, AT&T has never had WiMax and the ONE is not capable of it. Whoever told you that is either mistaken or lying.

Depending on where you are WiMax could be more available then LTE as of right now. As they shut down the 800mhz Nextel towers, Sprint will be rolling out LTE 800 on those is the story most have heard.
12th June 2013, 01:10 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 538

More
I'm in Chicago and we have a lot of wimax. But also a lot of lte too. I did get faster speeds on wimax, but I could only get wimax if I were outside. So... I kept it off and only used wimax if I really needed it. It was a major battery hog.

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app
12th June 2013, 01:39 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 170

More
I had og Evo and Evo 3d which were both wimax phones. The signal was much more consistent than I get on my Evo lte and HTC one. As far as speed, I HAVE spiked to 22mbps once or twice on lte but I have to be right there in that sweet spot which is on the side of a major hwy. I can pull 5-8 mbps on an average lte signal but I am constantly loosing it and switching back to 3g and going back and forth. My wimax signal was a goo 7-8 inside my house. Lte is very inconsistent and my area is suppose to be over 80% complete I think last time I checked.

And like gk said wimax was a battery hog. I could never get half a day if I left my wimax radio on and off the charger. My lte devices last a lot longer. This one I take it off the charger in the morning and still have half battery at night most times

Rirere
12th June 2013, 02:10 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauprankul

I would be surprised if it were directly true. The Nextel towers were all IDEN-based and are in the process of being torn down. I have no doubt they will be eventually switched to CDMA/3G and then LTE (or maybe built with LTE from the get-go), but probably not until after Sprint rolls out LTE to its existing tower infrastructure.
12th June 2013, 02:10 PM |#8  
Flag St. Clairsville, OH
Thanks Meter: 166

More
Not to go off topic too much but when I lived in Columbus Ohio we had pretty good wimax coverage. And in complete honesty the battery hit was hardly any worse than 3g so I would leave wimax on all of the time. I could go a full 12 hour day at work on my 3d with moderate usage and get home with 30 percent left. Similar comparisons in battery life on my 4g, shift, and et4g as well. Apparently its similar to any other signal issue.... But if its a good area wimax doesn't hurt the battery too bad at all really.
12th June 2013, 02:31 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 538

More
I used to get really inconsistent lte a month ago. I'm not sure if they improved the network to correct it or what but when I unlocked the bootloader, I saw a very consistent experience. Not sure if wiping everything did something to correct it, placebo, or new towers were flipped on the same day.

But I only get 2-3 mbps on lte

Wimax I was getting about 8-10

In any case... Sprint is the only major wimax carrier in the USA and att doesn't use it - as mentioned earlier, OP was lied to about this.

Also, I hear the Nextel iden network will be configured to lte on 800 mhz which our phones don't support. None do at this point actually.

12th June 2013, 02:59 PM |#10  
Flag Minneapolis, MN
Thanks Meter: 191

More
wimax is awful & I live in a "good" wimax area. Besides Sprint quit building on the network once they realized it sucked.
12th June 2013, 06:24 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 267

More
All right thanks for the clarification guys. I was suspicious when I read it (no idea where, some random forums). Since Sprint is letting go of Wimax and replacing their Wimax devices with LTE, would it be safe to assume that places with "Best" Wimax coverage and/or Nextel coverage will get LTE at some point (6 mos-1 year)? It's really sad when it takes 30-45 minutes do download Cut the Rope at the local mall (in silicon Valley).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)