1,297 posts
Thanks Meter: 267

By sauprankul, Senior Member on 3rd August 2013, 02:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd August 2013, 07:56 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Man. I wish I had read up more about Sprint. I would have known about how much of a failure wimax was and would have stayed away.
Well, here I am.
My other concern is: Does anybody have a different brand of phone on Sprint and get better data speeds? I am utterly shocked that data speeds could be so slow in Silicon valley. Its really hard to believe that Sprint is so bad that it barely covers the 680 and 101 here.
Really, the slow speeds limit basic functions like searching and browsing. Forget about streaming and downloading.
3rd August 2013, 09:33 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 244

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauprankul

Man. I wish I had read up more about Sprint. I would have known about how much of a failure wimax was and would have stayed away.
Well, here I am.
My other concern is: Does anybody have a different brand of phone on Sprint and get better data speeds? I am utterly shocked that data speeds could be so slow in Silicon valley. Its really hard to believe that Sprint is so bad that it barely covers the 680 and 101 here.
Really, the slow speeds limit basic functions like searching and browsing. Forget about streaming and downloading.

I've had almost all devices on sprint and it makes no difference the speed is crap. Only reason I'm still with sprint is because my business pays for it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
3rd August 2013, 11:24 AM |#13  
Flag Rochester
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I get about 700kbit download and 600kbit upload on average which is good enough for browsing and video calls but forget about downloading 50+mb apps.As long as texts work all the time and I can roam for free I'm good to go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N0wy0ud1e For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift N0wy0ud1e Ad-Free
3rd August 2013, 12:56 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 291

More
Just remembered thanks to that guy mentioning roaming. Apperently people in the past people would flash a Verizon prl that would allow them access to their 3g service by forcing roam. After a while sprint would message them via a letter or something telling them they are excessively roam and their account will be terminated. This was a method that some were using to get out of their sprint contracts without having to pay the etf. Although this is morally indecent so it is up to u to try it. I don't know how the results for u will come out though since u just opened ur account just tossing it out there
3rd August 2013, 02:53 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 192

More
Lmao!!! This is the very reason there is a sick of sprint thread. 3g is not usable in most areas. I was with them for 10 years b4 I finally got myself kicked off and went to att. Their data speeds are disappointing. I was never able to stream a YouTube video. I do think that call quality was a little better on sprint tho. I would suggest anybody who wants to use their networks data DO NOT GO WITH SPRINT

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
3rd August 2013, 04:26 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 245

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0wy0ud1e

I get about 700kbit download and 600kbit upload on average which is good enough for browsing and video calls but forget about downloading 50+mb apps.As long as texts work all the time and I can roam for free I'm good to go.

I would kill for this. Maybe 10 days out the the year I get 1500kbits for some reason. The rest of the time? 150kbits down. LTE I usually get about 2. I'm located in a major city along the east coast, 10 miles from the ocean.
3rd August 2013, 04:50 PM |#17  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny

Lmao!!! This is the very reason there is a sick of sprint thread. 3g is not usable in most areas. I was with them for 10 years b4 I finally got myself kicked off and went to att. Their data speeds are disappointing. I was never able to stream a YouTube video. I do think that call quality was a little better on sprint tho. I would suggest anybody who wants to use their networks data DO NOT GO WITH SPRINT

I'm desperate people. I can't go along with this kind of service. I would be perfectly happy with 2 megs down. I dont need 30 megs down or whatever, and chances are, if Sprint has never really taken the effort to put decent 3G around here, they probably won't with 4G.
So about the roaming thing... Will I really get kicked out without an ETF? I think I can because I technically didn't ask them to kick me off, right? I just ended up accidentally roaming a bit too much. Does anybody have experience with the roaming loophole? Will I be able to keep this phone or what? Will they give me roaming fees? Is Verizon's 3G going to be that much faster?
3rd August 2013, 05:36 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 192

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauprankul

I'm desperate people. I can't go along with this kind of service. I would be perfectly happy with 2 megs down. I dont need 30 megs down or whatever, and chances are, if Sprint has never really taken the effort to put decent 3G around here, they probably won't with 4G.
So about the roaming thing... Will I really get kicked out without an ETF? I think I can because I technically didn't ask them to kick me off, right? I just ended up accidentally roaming a bit too much. Does anybody have experience with the roaming loophole? Will I be able to keep this phone or what? Will they give me roaming fees? Is Verizon's 3G going to be that much faster?

Lol yes sir I just got kicked off July 23rd but I switched to att the day I found out I could. I would just stay with a Verizon prl not like 00003 or something and you have to do it for at least 3 months in a row. I would leave my phone downloaded torrents every night before I go to bed. At least a couple gbs in size. Sprint didn't kick me off right away tho. I did this in December January and February then I eventually gave up BC I didn't think they would boot me. Then in June they sent the letter saying my service would be disconnected ETF FREE!!! So I Porte's my number to att and the rest is history

The Following User Says Thank You to gmfeny For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gmfeny Ad-Free
3rd August 2013, 06:21 PM |#19  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny

Lol yes sir I just got kicked off July 23rd but I switched to att the day I found out I could. I would just stay with a Verizon prl not like 00003 or something and you have to do it for at least 3 months in a row. I would leave my phone downloaded torrents every night before I go to bed. At least a couple gbs in size. Sprint didn't kick me off right away tho. I did this in December January and February then I eventually gave up BC I didn't think they would boot me. Then in June they sent the letter saying my service would be disconnected ETF FREE!!! So I Porte's my number to att and the rest is history

Seems very doable if I set up a hotspot.
Just to confirm, does anybody else have experience with this? Are there any fees involved? This sounds too good to be true. I've looked this up online, and I see very few people who actually tried this and reported back.
But if I get to keep my phone and sell it and leave Sprint and go to AT&T and not have to worry about fees then I'll definitely do this with no hesitation.
3rd August 2013, 06:30 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Honestly, it's all about your location.

In areas with no Network Vision upgrades and ancient T1 backhauls, sprint's 3G is going to basically be unusable. While the EVDO towers can easily handle 1.5-2mbit of speed, the backhaul is so clogged that you are lucky to get 128kbps. (.1mbit)

I disabled the 4G Radio in my phone and did several speed tests on EVDO. This was in peak usage time (~1PM). I live in Maryland and I am in the Baltimore market rollout. This is a Network Vision tower, with 4G LTE I am connected to. The backhauls are fully upgraded with fiber. My speeds mostly sat around 1.7-1.8mbit. Enough to stream music on the go, load web pages, stream 360p youtube.

http://imgur.com/a/ygmHN

If you live in an area that is getting a 4G LTE rollout, the 3G speeds will definitely increase - and will probably be equal to those 3G speeds of the other CDMA provider - Verizon.

Then I enabled the 4G radio in my phone, ran another set of sets. About the same time (~1PM.)

http://imgur.com/a/4clVb

My average during peak times is anywhere from 5-9mbit down, with 3-5mbit up. Easily enough to stream HQ Music, HQ Youtube, quickly load web content, and even some HD netflix worked without problem.

During off-peak times, I easily speed test at 15-16mbit down, and 7-8mbit up.

http://imgur.com/a/MJbZc

My favorite has to be off-peak times. After about 11pm, everything is amazing. I can do multiple things online without issues. Tether to my PC, stream music, download files, ect. I've hit 16mbit down pretty easily, and I'm actually pretty far away from the tower. My RSSI is generally about 110-113dBm, which is getting to the edge of usability. I never lose my connection. (75 is right next to the tower, 120 is the edge of the signal.)
4th August 2013, 04:15 AM |#21  
OP Senior Member

More
@porksandwich
That sounds awesome. Can you tell me how your experience was before the LTE upgrade in your area?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)