Your thoughts on the OnePlus Phone? Opinion and review here!

Search This thread

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
EDIT: So yeah, the device is out and you can check it out on Oneplus.net

Unfortunately what they said about the device dimensions was false and is taller than the Note 3 and nearly as wide as the Note 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blutgraetsche

Jan 3, 2014
everything about OnePlus reminds me...

to Oppo.
Sure its the former vice President from Oppo.
But as you can see in the "Unbox Video" with Steve Kondik, even the packaging looks like from Oppo.
This means nothing bad but has the feeling of an "Oppo Kick off".
Btw, im a Oppo User and quite Happy with it.

And if the OnePlus looks good im sure gonna buy it, In difference to Oppos N1 the CM on OnePlus seems to be really good adapt and ACTUAL (4.4+ KitKat)

Best Regards
Danny

Last edited:

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
to Oppo.
Sure its the former vice President from Oppo.
But as you can see in the "Unbox Video" with Steve Kondik, even the packaging looks like from Oppo.
This means nothing bad but has the feeling of an "Oppo Kick off".
Btw, im a Oppo User and quite Happy with it.

And if the OnePlus looks good im sure gonna buy it, In difference to Oppos N1 the CM on OnePlus seems to be really good adapt and ACTUAL (4.4+ KitKat)

Best Regards
Danny

What are you opinions on Oppo's software updates?
and if the OnePlus One was 400 dollars in Australia, I would definitely buy it

Blutgraetsche

Jan 3, 2014

What are you opinions on Oppo's software updates?
and if the OnePlus One was 400 dollars in Australia, I would definitely buy it

I´m running actually CM on my N1. This works quite well, but no Updates till now, just one who the O-Click get fixed.
From ColorOS i cant say that much, ive used it just a few times, but the people are waiting for the ColorOS 2.0, thats what i know.

In fact, when the OnePlus is available i will sell my N1, because im a bit disappointed about CM (updates, statements and the low improvements) with the N1 and i think they will make it better in the OnePlus.

For the announced price in € im sure gonna buy the One+.

(btw: Sorry for my bad english)

Best Regards
Danny

Reactions: Hellscythe

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
I´m running actually CM on my N1. This works quite well, but no Updates till now, just one who the O-Click get fixed.
From ColorOS i cant say that much, ive used it just a few times, but the people are waiting for the ColorOS 2.0, thats what i know.

In fact, when the OnePlus is available i will sell my N1, because im a bit disappointed about CM (updates, statements and the low improvements) with the N1 and i think they will make it better in the OnePlus.

For the announced price in € im sure gonna buy the One+.

(btw: Sorry for my bad english)

Best Regards
Danny

so because the N1 had a Cyanogenmod version, am i correct in saying that there are no bugs? surely if someone buys a cyanogenmod edition N1, they expect it to be bug free.

I am really juggling between the S5, Find 7 and OnePlus one.
With all honestly, I dislike the look of ColorOS, so if the FInd7 comes with a CM version, i am very interested in knowing how stable it is etc

Blutgraetsche

Jan 3, 2014
There is a CM Version, but i have the Standard 32Gb and flashed CM. A few bugs left, but really nothing bad.
CM is a Company now, so the Quality is and should be good.

I can understand your disliking the Color OS, not everybody likes it, but from my view there are interesting Ideas who needs a fine finish.
The Community suggestions and implementations are game changing, theres a direct contact from the Community to the developers from Oppo, thats really unique!

I´m not sure if there will be a unique "CM Version" of the Find 7, but im sure CM will be available for the Find 7.

But at the moment, without even seeing the One+ its hard to give you a suggestions...
I hope you are in the good position that you dont need right now a new Phone...

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
There is a CM Version, but i have the Standard 32Gb and flashed CM. A few bugs left, but really nothing bad.
CM is a Company now, so the Quality is and should be good.

I can understand your disliking the Color OS, not everybody likes it, but from my view there are interesting Ideas who needs a fine finish.
The Community suggestions and implementations are game changing, theres a direct contact from the Community to the developers from Oppo, thats really unique!

I´m not sure if there will be a unique "CM Version" of the Find 7, but im sure CM will be available for the Find 7.

But at the moment, without even seeing the One+ its hard to give you a suggestions...
I hope you are in the good position that you dont need right now a new Phone...

oh thanks for your insight!
yeah, just a tiny bit iffy about oppo because i think the Find 5 is still on android 4.1 so yeah.
and yeah, don't really need a new phone now, it's just my mum wants my phone because hers is dying so i am looking around for a new phone for myself haha

Blutgraetsche

Jan 3, 2014
oh thanks for your insight!
yeah, just a tiny bit iffy about oppo because i think the Find 5 is still on android 4.1 so yeah.
and yeah, don't really need a new phone now, it's just my mum wants my phone because hers is dying so i am looking around for a new phone for myself haha

Youre in a good position, i have to assure my wife that i want after 4 Months a new Phone ;)
The N1 on CM is on 4.3, on ColorOS its on 4.2.2
A big selling point for the OnePlus will be the 2 Years guaranteed support from CM, thats a statement!

Xperia-Ray

Jan 16, 2012
shutupandtakemymoney_zps3bbbd52e.jpeg

The new smartphones from china this year going to make hard life for other brands, you can't compete with their value/$$$.
The Oppo Find 7 is a killer device + this OnePluse they are going to be hot products.

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
shutupandtakemymoney_zps3bbbd52e.jpeg

The new smartphones from china this year going to make hard life for other brands, you can't compete with their value/$$$.
The Oppo Find 7 is a killer device + this OnePluse they are going to be hot products.

Yeah, main reason for only looking at Oppo and OnePlus is because they look like they have a very nice dev scene.
Other chinese brands produce great devices, but the dev scene really isn't that big (outside of china)

Reactions: Xperia-Ray

Blutgraetsche

Jan 3, 2014
The OnePlus Shopping Experience...

Now that OnePlus showed us the planned distribution, it looks even more like Oppo is doing it.
There are many many things in common to Oppo..
That makes me more cusious...

Btw: i cant wait until the official Release

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Time for my little drop of input after owning and using my OnePlus One for 24 hours.

Initial Thoughts:

Now to start, let me say that before this device, I have never used a "phablet" device. I have always been, and always will be, a fan of <5" display phones. Before this I used a Nexus 5, and before that a GS3. Both phones fit perfect in my hand, and were easy to use one handed.​

Screen: 8/10

The Good:
    When I first turned on the device all I could say was "Wow, this only cost $350?". The display on this thing is actually one of the better displays I have seen in a device. Now personally, I enjoy my over saturated Samsung AMOLED displays, but colors on the OnePlus One feel a bit more realistic even if a bit warm. I have really enjoyed the entire media experience on my device with PopcornTime and Netflix and even with the dislike for the size, I can live with it due to the very slim bezels.

The Bad:
    In my opinion, its a bit... large (see initial thoughts). Compared to the M8, G2, S5 this thing is a tall beast but with that in mind, its not as wide as a note3, and fits a lot better in the hand then most other devices. Also I want to comment on the "yellow screen" issue. My device seems to lightly have this, but I have a good feeling its the glue settling. This issue happened to apple with their iphones when they came right off the assembly line and into the hands of consumers (Link) and ad my OnePlus was assembled on 6/5/14 (according to the box), this is the most logical explanation for the "issue".

Hardware: 8/10

The Good:
    If you are here on XDA and you are reading this, you probably know the specs of the device so I will leave that out. For real world use, the device seems to perform great with any and all tasks I throw at it. Games are smooth and fast, and the speakers on this device are FANTASTIC! No, really. I am in love with these speakers. Coming from a N5, the difference is like night and day. The speakers are actually so impressive, this is the first device I can't leave my ringtone/notification volume on full as it actually hurts my ears. As for the mic and call quality the device seems to perform great, even though the device does not support VoLTE or HD Calling on T-Mobiles network at the time of this review.​

The Bad:
    I don't know if this is a bad thing or not, but it seems to be for quite a bit of people. The hardware in this device is almost the exact same as the Oppo Find 7. What do I mean by this? They use the same Baseband Base, Bootloader Image, and even the same pcb design/layout. Hell, they didn't even change the strings in the bootloader, so if you run a cat /proc/cmdline you are greeted with some boot arguments and some "oppo" setprop variables. Now personally I don't care about this, but it has caused some drama on the Official OnePlus One Forums (Which seems to always be full of drama now a days)​

Battery: No Score
    I really wish it was user replaceable, but that's not enough of a reason to hate it. For being a 3100+mAh battery, you would expect the extra 800mAh compared to the Nexus 5 would give it quite a boost in runtime, but with my usage I am not seeing any large difference in runtime between my Nexus 5 and the OnePlus One. The reason I will not give this category a score is because I have only had the device for 24 hours, and to rate the battery performance so far would be pointless.​

Reception: 7/10
    So far the Reception on this device seems to be on par with my Nexus 5. Decent, but nothing amazing. I am glad to see that the OnePlus One has no issues taking advantage of T-Mobiles wideband LTE network, and I was successfully able to pull a speedtest of over 80Mb/s download! But with that in mind, I did have one hickup with the thing. When I was out and about I was having some issues with reception hand off between LTE and HSPA+. My device would drop from LTE to HSPA+, but never connect to data. I had to restart my device about 3 times until data came back. Now I don't know if it was because I was in a building, but this kind of left a sour taste in my mouth. I was showing 3 bars of HSPA+, but I had no data connection. Bleh.​

Design: 9/10
    The Good:
    The feel of this device is amazing. When you first hold the device, the texture of the back really stands out from other devices. I have the 64GB Black model, and it feels like a soft fabric almost, but rubbery at the same time. It's really hard to explain, but it feels really good in the hand. Talking about which, I love the button placement on this thing. It's nice not having to shimmy your hand around the device to control it with one hand.
    The Bad:
    Only flaw with the design I would say is the Plastic Chrome edging on the device. As you know, the back plate on the device is user replaceable but is a pain in the ass to get off. To get mine off, I was really careful and used some opening tools and pry tools. After going around the device, and lifting the clips the back popped right off. After looking around the device though, I noticed how the chrome plastic trim bent and mis-shaped in some locations. Now this in no means hinders the device to work or put the back panel on, but I am nit-picky with how my device looks and I want to keep it looking perfect for as long as possible, and the fact that just removing the back kind of deforms the trim makes me wonder if OnePlus ever took into consideration the amount of work required to remove the back plate.​

Software:7/10

The Good:
    On the software side of things, this device really shines with the CM11S firmware. It's fast, fluid, and full of nice features. Personally I love the double tap to wake, and gesture support. So for example, when the device is off I can draw a V on the screen with my finger and this will turn on the device's flashlight. I wish they could offer custom gestures (so I could draw a X to put it in vibrate mode, or things like that) but I understand that the firmware is technically pre-production. Hopefully CM will get more things implemented before the public release of the device.​
    The Bad:
    I found it strange that out of box, my device came "setup" so the first thing I did with my device was do a data reset to properly go through the setup process. I have also found a few privacy settings that cause Force Closes of the setup app, so in time I hope those are ironed out. Overall the software just feels like a nightly and not a production software image. A user should not have to reset a device just out of box because someone in QnA forgot to do their job, and none of the settings in the settings menu should cause Force Closes. I love Cyanogenmod but if they want to compete with the big guys, they will need to step up their game a bit.​
    Overall: 8.5/10
    TL;DR: Screen is fine, Hardware is fast, Battery does its job, Reception could use some love, Design is AMAZING, Software is good even with some minor flaws, and the SPEAKERS ARE AMAZING! If you can form up $350 and get an invite, this is a no brainer purchase​
    Hands down best purchase ever

I've been a lurker on XDA for many years now, and normally never feel the need to comment on threads. However with this topic I felt compelled to do so. I'm sure with everyone who's purcahsed a OPO their experience varies from my own, so with that said consider it's purely anecdotal. I have owned many devices in the past 2 years. I started with a DNA, switched to an M7 for a short period of time, dabbled for a few months with an Xperia Z Ultra, and landed on my feet with the OPO. I was super excited as I had always wanted one when they first came out but didn't feel the need to wade through invite pools or beg for the right to purchase the phone. When they allowed open orders on Tuesdays for the first time I snagged one up immediately. My experience since purchasing the phone has been nothing but smooth. I, much like other well informed buyers, was afraid of the yellow banding or other QC issues with the device. Everything from the order process, the fast shipping, and even the packaging presentation was flawless. I am one of those people that inadvertently judges a piece of technology on how well it's packaged and presented to the end user. OnePlus didn't miss the bar at all in this area. It was like Christmas morning all over again. I've been into custom ROMS and kernels for years so I knew even before ordering that I was going to root and flash this phone. Nevertheless, CM11S was still lightning fast and I fell in love with the phone right away. The design was impeccable, albeit I wasn't in love with the Sandstone finish on the back cover, this of course being a minor oversight since you can purchase replacement style covers or simply slap a TPU case over it like I did. I love the charger, and cable that came with the phone. They even were thoughtful enough to include a Nano SIM tray for those users who need it in place of the Micro. The SIM unlock tool was another great addition because we all know how much it sucks searching for a paper clip in a scattered desk space. I plugged it in, installed the drivers, and went straight into Fastboot to flash a custom recovery and root the phone. Installed TWRP, flashed BlissPop, and Boeffla kernel, and I've been off to the races ever since. Now like I said, every user has had different experiences with this phone, but I can honestly tell you I've been made a believer with mine. I was so impressed I convinced my roommate to buy one a week later in place of a G2, when she was looking at upgrading to a G3. I've never had the pleasure of owning a N5 or even N6, but I've had the chance to play with them, and after watching many reviews comparing them side by side, I still have no regrets over getting the OPO. I haven't made any kernel tweaks as of yet, and I'm running my OPO on Straight Talk, where I get LTE almost everywhere I go, and haven't had any issues whatsoever with the hardware. No yellow banding, no overheating, no lag, no nothing. I'm what I would consider a power user, where I'm pushing this thing all day from 8 am, until easily 10 pm at night with anywhere from 4 to 5 hours of SOT, and I still have 20% + of battery life at the end of the night. In standby mode, this thing has lasted almost 2 full days for me. Take from this what you will, but if I could say anything it would be if you're considering getting one, like MANY others have said, there is nothing that rivals this phone for the price point comparison. Don't hestitate, GET ONE.
    I won an invite from the Storm Of Invites about 3 weeks ago. I promptly placed an order and the phone finally arrived today. However, while the phone was in transit I chose to sell it to my co-worker and order the LG G3 instead. After doing more research I felt the G3 would better fit my needs. I finally got my hands on the OnePlus One in person today and after messing with it side by side with the G3, I must admit that I am VERY glad that I sold the One to my co-worker and opted for the G3.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of pros to the One, but the cons greatly outweigh them for me...

Pros:
    - It's very snappy. It feels as snappy right out of the box as my Nexus 5 does with all the tweaks and CM11 installed. And definitely snappier than the LG G3 in stock form.

- The back plate of the phone feels fantastic in the hand. It's very premium and will hold up vey well to scratching.

- The reviews convinced me that the phone would be too big for use with one hand. This is not the case. At best, I have very average sized hands and can say that the One feels great in one hand. I was not afraid of dropping it at all.

- Overall the phone feels like a premium ($600+) device and I'd argue that the overall feel is higher quality than the LG G3. And light years above the Nexus 5 which I've loved for 6 months now.

Cons:
    - The d*** yellow tint at the bottom of the screen. I've read about it from many users. Some said it was very noticeable while others said it wasn't a big deal. It's there, it absolutely is noticeable on light grey/white backgrounds, and there is no doubt in my mind that it is a defect. The fact that OnePlus refuses to admit this is a defect and replace phones with this issue is very off-putting and tells me a lot about the company.

- Chrome bezels. This is personal preference but I hate phones with chrome bezels because they just scratch way too easily, in my experience. I wasn't a fan of the chrome bezels on my Nexus 4 and I surely don't like them on the OnePlus One. I have no doubt that they will get scratched up (even with a case) rather quickly.

- While the phone does feel good in one hand, it's still too tall. The height of the phone is borderline awkward looking in person. OnePlus really should have eliminated the capacitive buttons and tried trimming the bottom bezel down a bit.

- Piggy backing off that last one, why the hell does it have capacitive buttons? Google designed great on screen buttons for a reason. There is no need to tack on additional buttons as well. OnePlus should have left that B.S. with HTC and Samsung. I understand you can disable them for the on screen buttons but it's redundant and unnecessary to have them.

Anyway, aside from the yellow tint (which definitely would be a deal breaker on its own), the remaining "cons" would not be big issues individually. However, when combined, they made me significantly less impressed with the phone as a whole. Had I not sold the phone to my co-worker I would have returned it for a full refund.

For those who may be curious, here are some other big reasons why I decided to go with the G3 before the OnePlus One even arrived...

- Wifi calling. The One won't have this and since my cell reception at home is horrendous, I've been wanting to get a phone capable of Wifi calling on T-Mobile for a while now.

- After watching MANY reviews of the OnePlus One and LG G3 over the past month or so, it seems everyone was most impressed with the G3's camera. The extremely fast laser focus is a very cool feature that I plan on making good use of.

- Buttons on the back instead of the sides. To me this is a great evolution of the smart phone. Over the past few years I've grown quite annoyed of side buttons that tend to cause issues with cases fitting perfectly and getting accidentally pressed constantly. Plus I've felt that it can be awkward to access side buttons properly with one hand without feeling like you are going to drop the phone. The back buttons on the G3 are very welcomed, in my opinion.

Just my $0.02 for anyone on the fence about buying it. So take it as you wish.
    I just received my phone on wednesday, the 64gig version. (Wanted the 16gig but had an invite for the 64, oh well sure I will use the space)

Anyways I loved the packaging the phone came in, I know its minor but man it was so sleek - very good presentation.

I have owned a HTC EVO3d, to a Nexus 4, and got my wife the nexus 5.. And the One Plus One easily beats all of them. The phone's build quality is awesome, it feels so solid.

I have had no issues with my touch screen (other then I bought a tempered glass screen protector and it definitely reduced the sensitivity a little, hardly noticeable if I wasn't always looking for issues with the touch screen!) But no yellowing and no ghosting etc etc.

Signal is great, i have Tmobile LTE in my area and on my Nexus 4 I got 25Mbps, on the OnePlus I get 38Mbps..
    Also man the speakers on the phone and nice and loud - and crisp.. All my other phones were so low I always had them maxed out - this phone the alarm went off at full volume and scared the hell out of my wife and I!

And finally the battery life is better then I could have imagined. Easily double the life of my nexus 4.

Love this phone, best purchase. I am thinking of selling my wifes nexus 5 for another one.

** Oh and as far as Lollipop, my opinion of course -but I hardly miss it.. CM really did a great job with the stock rom - I didn't even root it or even flash a custom recovery for that matter.. Felt no need. Only thing I did was unlock the bootloader. Giving my dad my nexus 4 and I actually flashed CM over lollipop just so I can control wakelocks easy, maybe squeeze some battery life out of it for him.

-Ogrillion
    I've had the phone for roughly a month, coming from a N5.

Pros:
    Screen size, ergo's, CM, speed, screen resolution, excellent wifi and cell reception, insane battery life. Lets see; ease of unlocking and rooting, responsive touch screen. I think I hit the highlights.

Cons;
    Will not make my lunch, weighs more then a feather, is not able to diagnose illness or travel in space/time, sometimes when I turn it off, it will stay off. My OPO will not work for me and won't make me money. Does not include a life preserver, uses electricity to charge.