Successful Root. Did not trip KNOX. On MJ4. Do I OTA Update to 4.4.2? Lose Root?

Search This thread

Astrongtower

Mar 15, 2014
Hi Everyone!

I was waiting to root my Note 3 for the longest time because I did not want to trip KNOX. Well today I got a notice to update my phone to 4.4.2 so I check the internet for the latest gossip on the update. Most people said they did not care for it. Anyhow; I decided to root my phone because I didn’t care anymore and already kind of board of my phone.

So I rooted my phone and I did not trip KNOX.

My question is do I disable this Update Notification to 4.4.2 because it is not really needed via tricks laced in these forums or do I need to update to this to get better security and or features?

If I do update to 4.4.2 will I lose my root?

And if I lose my root; is it impossible to root on 4.4.2 because I believe it is impossible at this time.

Best,
Astrongtower

micmars

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
Hi Everyone!

I was waiting to root my Note 3 for the longest time because I did not want to trip KNOX. Well today I got a notice to update my phone to 4.4.2 so I check the internet for the latest gossip on the update. Most people said they did not care for it. Anyhow; I decided to root my phone because I didn’t care anymore and already kind of board of my phone.

My question is do I disable this Update Notification to 4.4.2 because it is not really needed via tricks laced in these forums or do I need to update to this to get better security and or features?

And if I lose my root; is it impossible to root on 4.4.2 because I believe it is impossible at this time.

Best,
Astrongtower

Unless you want a few undesirable tradeoffs in your hands, either live without KitKat and no update, or take it and remain stock until a proven, trouble free method is available.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Hi Everyone!

Best,
Astrongtower

Yeah if you take the update you will no longer be rooted, and the only way to root Kitkat will trip Knox. So if Knox is a worry for you I would stay where you are at. Personally for me Kitkat fixed alot of small issues for me, so the update was much worth it, but I could careless about tripping knox personally anyway. I will never be sending my phone to Samsung.

Astrongtower

Mar 15, 2014
Yeah if you take the update you will no longer be rooted, and the only way to root Kitkat will trip Knox. So if Knox is a worry for you I would stay where you are at. Personally for me Kitkat fixed alot of small issues for me, so the update was much worth it, but I could careless about tripping knox personally anyway. I will never be sending my phone to Samsung.

Do you mind listing some of the few things it fixed for you?

I am reading a lot of threads saying that the new battery life is horrible.

I did manage to disable the update notification. Deleted the update file and renamed certain apk's. So if I never upgrade I guess I will be permanently on this os.

Is there a security risk or any other problems that arise from staying on an older os? Like cell reception or better working updates?

Thanks for answering my prior question about the root.

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

I did manage to disable the update notification. Deleted the update file and renamed certain apk's. So if I never upgrade I guess I will be permanently on this os.

Is there a security risk or any other problems that arise from staying on an older os? Like cell reception or better working updates?

Well maybe someone else can chime in on some things they noticed also, but for me I was on Mj4 maybe 3 or 4 days till I updated. For me bluetooth got wayyyyy better on Mj4 when i would get in my vehicle bluetooth media wouldn't stream without skipping every ten to fifteen seconds. Nab modem I get faster speeds and stronger signal(but this will vary on location of the end user)....me I get great battery life(this depends on what rom you are using. I use Sacs Kitkat rom and I get great battery life) I stream audio probably 2 hours out of a day.....Wifi always on...bluetooth always on.....constantly searching etc I would say I'm probably a semi heavy user and at the end of the day I don't think I've ever been under 50% battery left at the end of the night. And that's my phone unplugging say 8am till 11pm or so.

Astrongtower

Mar 15, 2014

You are using a Custom ROM. That probably explains why you enjoy it so much.

I think it is the stock 4.4.2 Kik Kat that has the horrible batttery life.

So far I am enjoying stock 4.3 with basic root and disable notifocatons on the update.

Do I get the same cell phone reception when I stay on 4.3 or do I need to upgrade to 4.4.2 to get better reception and security?

You know, is it like updating windows and you get security updates and stuff or is it strickly that they just want to limit people from rooting by making it harder.

You are using a Custom ROM. That probably explains why you enjoy it so much.

I think it is the stock 4.4.2 Kik Kat that has the horrible batttery life.

So far I am enjoying stock 4.3 with basic root and disable notifocatons on the update.

Do I get the same cell phone reception when I stay on 4.3 or do I need to upgrade to 4.4.2 to get better reception and security?

You know, is it like updating windows and you get security updates and stuff or is it strickly that they just want to limit people from rooting by making it harder.

Of course I'm running a custom ROM, that's the main purpose of rooting for me. I don't ever stay stock, I've never had good battery life on stock with any phone.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Astrongtower

Mar 15, 2014
Do you know anything about cell phone reception and security updates vs sticking with older roms or custom roms vs staying with latest factory update ROM OTA?

Just wondering if there is truly a benefit of sticking with pure stock and latest updates OTA even if you decided to deal with the negatives.

Do you know anything about cell phone reception and security updates vs sticking with older roms or custom roms vs staying with latest factory update ROM OTA?

Just wondering if there is truly a benefit of sticking with pure stock and latest updates OTA even if you decided to deal with the negatives.

Well...alot of the times custom roms you are going to have all the latest security updates etc just as same as the stock ota. They are built from the base of the ota and then modified. Data speeds usually have a bit of increase because of different tweaks and such. The biggest problem with stock is all the Carrier stuff it adds in....same with knox added in.....all that stuff running in the background adds to battery drain. If I were you I would try flash a custom rom like Sacs.....then try it for a couple days....you can always go back to a stock rom.

Nvm forgot you didn't want to trip knox, so custom rom is pretty much out the question for you.

Last edited:

droidcruzer

Jul 8, 2010
Kansas City
Well maybe someone else can chime in on some things they noticed also, but for me I was on Mj4 maybe 3 or 4 days till I updated. For me bluetooth got wayyyyy better on Mj4 when i would get in my vehicle bluetooth media wouldn't stream without skipping every ten to fifteen seconds. Nab modem I get faster speeds and stronger signal(but this will vary on location of the end user)....me I get great battery life(this depends on what rom you are using. I use Sacs Kitkat rom and I get great battery life) I stream audio probably 2 hours out of a day.....Wifi always on...bluetooth always on.....constantly searching etc I would say I'm probably a semi heavy user and at the end of the day I don't think I've ever been under 50% battery left at the end of the night. And that's my phone unplugging say 8am till 11pm or so.

Can you tell us what modem you are using that gives you faster speeds and stronger signal? I was on both stock and multiple custom ROMs of MJ4 and I got way better signal strength and speeds than I do with NAB, and I'm running Sacs NAB ROM. I haven't flashed any other mod either, it's just Sacs. I was thinking of doing Carbon's AOSP ROM and seeing if I can get stock samsung apps (like camera, TW, just the basics, no bloatware) to work. I just personally like TW and like the features that the camera has (even though I've never, even out of the box, been able to get drama to work). I love the speed of AOSP and the minimal disk footprint, I just prefer some, SOME, of the samsung apps. But my main pain point right now with any NAB (4.4.2) ROM, stock or custom, is my signal got worse. Yes, I work on the Sprint campus so of course my nation wide clear coverage is non-existent (I'm lucky to get two bars of 3G, much less the LTE speed that Verizon or AT&T users ON THE SPRINT CAMPUS get to enjoy, sprint fail, I digress). Anywho, at home when I was on MJ4, I was getting download speeds of 15 Mb and upload speeds of around 6 Mb. Now with NAB I'm getting 5 Mb download speeds and 7.5 Mb upload speeds! Tell me how that works??? Maybe that's why battery life is so good for me, because I'm not connecting to the network so it's not using battery to communicate. I doubt it, but it sounded good at the time. So if you have a modem that you can point me to so I can flash it to get the better signal and speed, I'd be really appreciative. :)

Can you tell us what modem you are using that gives you faster speeds and stronger signal? I was on both stock and multiple custom ROMs of MJ4 and I got way better signal strength and speeds than I do with NAB, and I'm running Sacs NAB ROM. I haven't flashed any other mod either, it's just Sacs. I was thinking of doing Carbon's AOSP ROM and seeing if I can get stock samsung apps (like camera, TW, just the basics, no bloatware) to work. I just personally like TW and like the features that the camera has (even though I've never, even out of the box, been able to get drama to work). I love the speed of AOSP and the minimal disk footprint, I just prefer some, SOME, of the samsung apps. But my main pain point right now with any NAB (4.4.2) ROM, stock or custom, is my signal got worse. Yes, I work on the Sprint campus so of course my nation wide clear coverage is non-existent (I'm lucky to get two bars of 3G, much less the LTE speed that Verizon or AT&T users ON THE SPRINT CAMPUS get to enjoy, sprint fail, I digress). Anywho, at home when I was on MJ4, I was getting download speeds of 15 Mb and upload speeds of around 6 Mb. Now with NAB I'm getting 5 Mb download speeds and 7.5 Mb upload speeds! Tell me how that works??? Maybe that's why battery life is so good for me, because I'm not connecting to the network so it's not using battery to communicate. I doubt it, but it sounded good at the time. So if you have a modem that you can point me to so I can flash it to get the better signal and speed, I'd be really appreciative. :)

Unfortunately I don't have a answer for you I'm on the NAB modem also, one thing I just wanted to throw out there is modems always vary on location. And for some reason we don't have any modem options like previous phones I had the S4...Epic 4g touch....all had different modems with different releases so we were always able to flash different ones to find out works best for each individual. The only thing I would say to try is check make sure you have the latest prl.

droidcruzer

Jul 8, 2010
Kansas City
Unfortunately I don't have a answer for you I'm on the NAB modem also, one thing I just wanted to throw out there is modems always vary on location. And for some reason we don't have any modem options like previous phones I had the S4...Epic 4g touch....all had different modems with different releases so we were always able to flash different ones to find out works best for each individual. The only thing I would say to try is check make sure you have the latest prl.

I do agree that different locations cause different results. My thought though is that my phone would be hitting the same radio towers as before. I don't think there has been an update to the tower radios, meaning LTE is LTE. What leads me to think it's not the towers is when I was on MJ4, I got great signal and then right after I flashed I immediately saw the degradation, I'm pretty confident that no hardware changes happened within that 10 minutes. Updating the PRL would just wipe out my phone's "favorite" towers. So it would force my phone to "re-authenticate" to the same towers that I already hit while on MJ4. That's my thoughts though, I could be totally wrong as I don't fully understand what all goes in to the phone radio communicating with the towers, I only know what hardware changes are or are not happening with the network.

I do agree that different locations cause different results. My thought though is that my phone would be hitting the same radio towers as before. I don't think there has been an update to the tower radios, meaning LTE is LTE. What leads me to think it's not the towers is when I was on MJ4, I got great signal and then right after I flashed I immediately saw the degradation, I'm pretty confident that no hardware changes happened within that 10 minutes. Updating the PRL would just wipe out my phone's "favorite" towers. So it would force my phone to "re-authenticate" to the same towers that I already hit while on MJ4. That's my thoughts though, I could be totally wrong as I don't fully understand what all goes in to the phone radio communicating with the towers, I only know what hardware changes are or are not happening with the network.

You are probably right, sounds logical I don't personally know either. All I could do is give you what my next option would be I don't really know what else to say. But I definitely agree with you.

droidcruzer

Jul 8, 2010
Kansas City
You are probably right, sounds logical I don't personally know either. All I could do is give you what my next option would be I don't really know what else to say. But I definitely agree with you.

Oh I appreciate any and all help. Even in stating what you did you may have said something that triggered a thought process that I haven't explored yet. So never be afraid to "state the obvious" (for lack of a better term) to me. I'll never take it as a negative. Hell, there will also be times that I haven't tried the obvious just because my brain is searching for a more complex solution when it could be as easy as "did you turn on WiFi?" lol

Oh I appreciate any and all help. Even in stating what you did you may have said something that triggered a thought process that I haven't explored yet. So never be afraid to "state the obvious" (for lack of a better term) to me. I'll never take it as a negative. Hell, there will also be times that I haven't tried the obvious just because my brain is searching for a more complex solution when it could be as easy as "did you turn on WiFi?" lol

I've been there done that lol