FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[DEVDB][TWRP][PhilZ Touch] XZDualRecovery 2.8.26 RELEASE

5,379 posts
Thanks Meter: 10,408

Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from [NUT]: The installer contains a ROOT EXPLOIT, this will trip A/V tools (e.g. ESET NOD32), disable it to download!!
14th May 2013, 01:44 AM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [NUT]

I'm actually flabbergasted by this ... that's driving me bonkers, it works just fine for me

Follow the disaster guide in my signature, restore system _only_ using flashtool and an FTF. You'll get your phone back to working order without losing data or apps.

Once you get it back in working order, please try to send me the logs from either cache or the directory on your external sdcard if you can...

Ummm, have installed ftf complete, then i have installed 2.0 installer for dual recovery (purple led stucks on sony logo with vibrations).Then i have flashed only system and rerooted the phone to access the cache folder.The cache folder contains one folder named "recovery" but it has no files and on the external sd card there is only the clockworkmod folder with an 0 bytes file.

Can you tell me if the logs that you need are on another folder or do i make something wrong?

Have tried to install the 2.0 version with the zip file too (on cwm 6.0.2.8. for locked bootloaders).It gives no errors but when i reboot my phone there is no recovery installed and my cwm 6.0.2.8 does not work until i install it again (there is no green led when on sony logo, only a half second green/red led).
The Following User Says Thank You to alexocean For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alexocean Ad-Free

14th May 2013, 08:20 AM |#102  
Recognized Developer
Flag Lommel
Thanks Meter: 16,264

Donate to Me
More
I'll take a look today

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to krabappel2548 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th May 2013, 08:49 AM |#103  
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabappel2548

I'll take a look today

Thanks

I've asked @krabappel2548 to do a code review, I am missing whatever is causing this behavior. I'm hoping a fresh look at things can help solve this mystery...

Need device specific information!

Can people running in to problems please report what firmware version you are running?

Mine is .434 NL Generic. Maybe the problems are caused by a difference there...

To be honest, I'm clutching at straws there, I really have no idea why my dual recovery scripts fail on some phones and works just fine on others (like mine)...
14th May 2013, 12:38 PM |#104  

More
Quote:

Thanks

I've asked @krabappel2548 to do a code review, I am missing whatever is causing this behavior. I'm hoping a fresh look at things can help solve this mystery...

Need device specific information!

Can people running in to problems please report what firmware version you are running?

Mine is .434 NL Generic. Maybe the problems are caused by a difference there...

To be honest, I'm clutching at straws there, I really have no idea why my dual recovery scripts fail on some phones and works just fine on others (like mine)...

Here are my device specifications:

Xperia Z (C6603) with bootloader locked (not unloackable, maybe its this)
Firmware .434 NL Generic, same as yours.

Have tried it yesterday with a fresh stock install of the .434 NL

Another thing, i previously rooted my phone with the v30 binary installer.Maybe it has something to do with it?

I have no problem to make some tests, im using two Z (one for firmware,mods,etc... tests) but i can tell you that on the other device the same thing happens.There was only one working version that i dont remember...maybe 1.6 but CWM was not working, only TWRP

Regards and sorry for my bad english

EDIT 1: I have installed now the 1.6 version to see and confirm that it was the version without the purple led vibration problem.It works but with the cwm not boot problem (vol down starts twrp without problems, vol up doesnt start cwm, it stays on a black screen after sony logo with purple led but without vibrations).
So after installed 1.6 i have tried to use the latest update.zip to see if it works.Twrp tells me that the install was succefull but the recovery has no changes, it stays on 1.6 with the cwm boot problem.

I will try now UK version and edit this post with the results
The Following User Says Thank You to alexocean For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alexocean Ad-Free
14th May 2013, 01:27 PM |#105  
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexocean

Here are my device specifications:

Xperia Z (C6603) with bootloader locked (not unloackable, maybe its this)
Firmware .434 NL Generic, same as yours.

Have tried it yesterday with a fresh stock install of the .434 NL

Another thing, i previously rooted my phone with the v30 binary installer.Maybe it has something to do with it?

I have no problem to make some tests, im using two Z (one for firmware,mods,etc... tests) but i can tell you that on the other device the same thing happens.There was only one working version that i dont remember...maybe 1.6 but CWM was not working, only TWRP

Regards and sorry for my bad english

As i am using the same binaries for this dual recovery as Krabappel2548 and Cpasjuste for the single recoveries, that should not really be a problem.

Do you have an external sdcard (sdcard1)? If so, is that formatted as FAT32? If it is, you can create a folder called XZDualRecovery there before installing 2.0 and put in a file called 'donotrun' to prevent it from running the parts of the script that cause the phone to hang or bootloop. That way you can still see if the /tmp/XZDualRecovery/preperation.log contains any errors.

For anyone having the same issues this is the same, you can take out your SDcard and put in the same file on a pc to prevent it from locking up your phone at boot.

If you want to test it problem free but do not have a SDcard, before installation of 2.0 create a folder called XZDualRecovery inside /cache and put in the same file. If your sdcard fails to mount, it will still use cache and skip the part of the dual recovery setup which is most probably causing the current problems.

Another test is to put a file called 'default' inside the same folder with just the word 'twrp' in that file on the first line. That way dual recovery will try to boot to TWRP after installation, instead of the default CWM.

The current BETA release has been pulled apart in to 2 files:

Stage 1: /system/bin/chargemon
  • Kickstarts the log inside /tmp/XZDualRecovery called preperation.log logging all actions and commands this stage takes or executes.
  • Checks busybox support for lzcat
  • Copies busybox to /sbin
  • Creates symlinks to all the supported commands inside /sbin
  • Copies all the important files to /sbin (located on the ramdisk, improves performance during recovery boot)
  • Copies /system/bin/dualrecovery.sh to /sbin/init.sh
  • Tries to mount sdcard1 on /storage/sdcard1
  • Creates the folder called 'XZDualRecovery' on sdcard1 if it can, removing /cache/XZDualRecovery and /cache/chargemon as they are nolonger needed.
  • If sdcard1 fails to mount, creates a folder 'XZDualRecovery' in /cache
  • Sets the /*logpath*/ for stage 2
  • Checks if the file 'donotrun' exists inside the log directory in cache or on sdcard1, and if it does, exits to the regular chargemon application
  • Checks if the file 'drdebug.sh' exists inside the log directory in cache or on sdcard1, and if it does copies that over /sbin/init.sh to make sure stage 2 runs the debug script.
  • Rotates the previous log inside /*logpath*/ to the *.old file and creates an empty file for this boot
  • Starts Stage 2 /sbin/init.sh (either the regular or the debug version) passing some parameters (/*logpath*/ and logfile name).

Stage 2: /system/bin/dualrecovery.sh (copied to /sbin as init.sh)
  • Kickstarts the log inside /*logpath*/ called XZDualRecovery.log logging all actions and commands this stage takes or executes.
  • Checks if /*logpath*/boot or /cache/recovery/boot exists
  • Triggers the led and vibrator
  • Checks the volume keys for a keypress
  • If either of the above checks is NOT triggered, it exits to chargemon.stock and continues regular boot
  • If one of the above checks is triggered it will determine which button got pressed.
  • Double checks if the recovery files are where they are supposed to be and selects the chosen one to be unpacked, based on either 'default' file or button choice
  • Stops all the already started services
  • Unmounts all mounted partitions (except /cache and /storage/sdcard1)
  • Cleans up the ramdisk (rootfs mounted on /), deleting everything except ('.', '..', '/'), /cache, /storage, /sbin, /dev, /proc and /sys
  • Unpacks the recovery ramdisk of choice onto the ramdisk
  • Unmounts /cache and /storage/sdcard1
  • Executes recovery init, booting to the recovery of choice

This works perfectly for me... and considering the problems others are having with this package... I don't know why!!

This breakdown is meant for anyone who wants to know and especially for @krabappel2548 ... this makes the code review a little easier i gues

It seems the problems are caused by Stage 2... but... How? What? Why!? And especially ... How to fix!?
14th May 2013, 02:55 PM |#106  
From PM, testing and results by alexocean
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What version of the firmware do you have?

I've developed the dual recovery on .434 NL Generic, I'm guessing it might be the reason for the problems?

Im using your same firmware (because it was one of the first to get the 434 update).My ftf file is:
C6603_10.1.A.1.434_Generic NL.ftf

Maybe it has something to do with my bootloader allowed no permision (i cant unlock my bootloader so it has never been unlocked).
Im sending one of my Z to sony this week for bootloader status change, but i have another Xperia Z to make some tests and help you out if you want.Have no problem to reflash and reflash hehe.
I will try in some minutes to use the UK firmware and see if it makes some difference.

Regards and sorry for my bad english !!!

Thanks a lot for the help, having a second phone does help a lot when testing

Hey, i have installed the .350 UK version and rooted with binary.Then installed your 2.0 package and it works (twrp and cwm 6.0.3.0).This is the first time it works.I will test it now with the .434 UK ftf file, must download it first because i only had on my pc the .350 version.
I will make later another test, downloading the .350 file from the NL version and update it with pccompanion or OTA and see if the problem is only on the "C6603_10.1.A.1.434_Generic NL.ftf" file (i think i have downloaded it here in XDA) .

Need some minutes to make the tests.

Regards and thank you for this great mod.

Eh... this actually hints to some other issue, one with the rooting process...

Anyone having the problems with the boot 'hanging', after you have restored the system partition and have your phone running again:
After rooting your restored phone:
1: Install a root explorer, remount /system as rw to enable writing to it.
(if your phone survives this step, go to step 2)
2: copy any file larger then 100Kb to /system and try to remove it again.

IF my hunch is correct, your phone will most likely do a sudden reboot either while remounting /system or while copying the file to /system...

What if your phone did that?
  1. Restore stock FW using SUS or FLASHTOOL;
  2. Complete first setup and reboot your phone;
  3. Then root it straight after the reboot.
  4. IF rooting fails for _ANY_ reason and you would need to try it again, Go back to step 1 (Seriously!!)
  5. When rooting worked OK the first try, try the previous root explorer test
  6. If your phone no longer reboots with that test, try to install Dual Recovery 2.0
  7. Post results here!!!

My phone did that too, the only solution i found was to restore the firmware and have the rooting process succeed 100% the first try, when it did i had no reboot issues, while when the first attempt failed after a second attempt it came back.

If you have downloaded the installer package, open run.sh inside the files directory with notepad, delete the reboot command at the end. When you have done this step and your phone still reboots when installing Dual Recovery 2.0 BETA, your phone has the 'root bug' for sure.
14th May 2013, 03:28 PM |#107  

More
Im doing some firmware + dualrecovery tests.

Flashed C6603_Unbranded_10.1.A.1.350 UK.ftf (.350 UK version) with latest flashtool.After that i used v30 root package from binary and installed 2.0 dualrecovery installer.
Results: DualRecovery WORKING

Updated the C6603 UK .350 with pccompanion to .434 UK.After that rerooted with the v30 package from binary and installed 2.0 dualrecovery installer.

Flashed C6603_10.1.A.1.434_UK unbranded.ftf (.434 UK version) with latest flashtool.After that, same thing, used v30 from binary and 2.0 dualrecovery.

Flashed C6603_10.1.A.1.434_Generic NL.ftf (.434 NL version) with latest flashtool. Installed binary root v25 package (problems with v30, maybe this could be the problem) and the 2.0 dualrecovery.
Results: DualRecovery FAILED (purple led and vibrations every 3-4 seconds)

And as final test i have done the same with .350 spanish rom and then updated to 434 with pccompanion.
Results: DualRecovery WORKING on .350 and .434.

I dont have the .350 NL firmware for testing and cant find it.

So far as i can see the only difference on the failed NL firmware is that the only change i made was installing another root package because v30 doesnt work for me on NL firmware.
I will try one thing, i mean it can be the problem.V30 package installs superuser and the V25 package installs superuser or supersu (i selected supersu) so the only difference is between superuser and supersu.

Will do a reflash and reroot of the 434 NL ftf but this time with superuser and see if it works.I need 5-10 minutos to confirm this.

One again, sorry for my bad english.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Buaaa, it was the supersu method on rooting.NL is working fine now with superuser.
Installed the .434, rooted with superuser method then installed dualrecovery and the problem with the purple led/vibration are gone.

What i have see on SuperSu is when i install the dualrecovery installer it asks me for permission and on superuser it doesnt ask.

For me, its working now
14th May 2013, 04:16 PM |#108  
Quote:

[SNIP]
What i have see on SuperSu is when i install the dualrecovery installer it asks me for permission and on superuser it doesnt ask.

For me, its working now

Awesome testing dude!

The difference in SuperSU and SuperUser is not only the APK, i have noticed the 'su' binary from SuperUser is able to do much more and DOES support the -c (command) switch fully. The 'su' binary from SuperSU does not support the -c switch the same way... and i guess that is what is breaking the installer package...

I am using SuperUser myself and rooted using the method put up here on XDA by @DooMLoRD.

Now... @alexocean, one more request for testing:

Can you take a clean install and install CWM or TWRP using the packages created by @Cpasjuste or @krabappel2548 and then test the flashable ZIP install version? I've seen some reports about flashing it causing the same issues as the installer version, so if you have some time to spare and feel up to it, can you test that too?

Seriously, you are on my list of memorable members of XDA:
14th May 2013, 05:49 PM |#109  
Flag Yokohama / Hong Kong / Toronto
Thanks Meter: 12

More
I will conclude going from CWM 6.0.2.8 to lockeddualrecovery2.0.zip does not work.

No recoveries at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsuya Cider For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mitsuya Cider Ad-Free
14th May 2013, 06:03 PM |#110  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuya Cider

I will conclude going from CWM 6.0.2.8 to lockeddualrecovery2.0.zip does not work.

No recoveries at all.

I will have a look at why that is. Thank you for your test!

14th May 2013, 07:15 PM |#111  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuya Cider

No recoveries at all.

I have tried that yesterday and you are right, the phone boots and recovery is there but the same 6.0.2.8 previously installed.CWM tells that it was installed succefully but the recovery is the same.

[NUT], im at home in 1.30 - 2 hours, i will try installing the zip with a fresh install and superuser with CWM 6.0.2.8 v4 and TWRP.I have only tested it yesterday but with the NL firmware + supersu that was not working.
Now i know that superuser works perfect.
Another thing, after working dualrecovery you can install SuperSu again and delete Superuser without problems, tested some hours ago.

Thanks to you [NUT] for this great dual Recovery, i like it very much hehe.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cwm, doomkernel, locked bootloader, recovery, twrp
Previous Thread Next Thread