WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations

2,486 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,026

By bhiga, Recognized Contributor on 9th January 2014, 11:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th February 2014, 04:17 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 114

More
Sounds like you're repeating the tests that many people have already done. Tab-casting is not perfectly smooth even on a very fast computer running at less than 12% CPU utilization in my experience. I would guess that the most likely explanation is a poor implementation in Google's "beta" code combined with too little buffering. You can easily see and hear that there is only a fraction of a second of buffering if the TV is in audio/video range of your computer. The video stream stutters and loses frames for an instant whenever Google's code can't keep up with a momentary increase in workload, even though the overall CPU utilization is low. Proper buffering should fix it, but Google hasn't seen fit to do that in the last 7 months.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJames1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DJames1 Ad-Free

16th February 2014, 10:34 PM |#22  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1

Sounds like you're repeating the tests that many people have already done. Tab-casting is not perfectly smooth even on a very fast computer running at less than 12% CPU utilization in my experience. I would guess that the most likely explanation is a poor implementation in Google's "beta" code combined with too little buffering.

Yes, and an efficient mirroring model would hook into the display updates rather than continually "scraping" the screen. I feel like it's someone at Google's pet project and they've been busy with other mainstream stuff like troubleshooting all the fringe router issues.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.
17th February 2014, 09:21 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 114

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Yes, and an efficient mirroring model would hook into the display updates rather than continually "scraping" the screen. I feel like it's someone at Google's pet project and they've been busy with other mainstream stuff like troubleshooting all the fringe router issues.

I doubt that Google's tab-casting code is scraping the screen for its video feed (or at least it only does that when you use the experimental full-desktop mode). I'm pretty sure it's smart enough to pick out the video stream on the page and transcode it for the Chromecast. But it's obviously not very efficient at that, since Plex or Playon can do that trick and maintain a smooth flow of video, while Google's code can't. But maybe they're not keen to fix it, since there's no revenue in helping people to stream their computer video to the TV for free.
20th February 2014, 03:08 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
So I've been going in circles with support with them asking the same questions over and over. Finally today, they want to initiate a warranty replacement.

Now, I actually didn't discover the AllCast app until today. I tested a 720p clip and it plays fine looking pretty good. Network speeds are between 200-1000 kByte/sec. And thats with a 60MBit/sec wifi connection. So I'm pretty sure the Chromecast is fine.

I tried the Chromecast Video extension on my laptop and can get similar results.

I'm pretty sure it is something with chrome or the extension itself.

I'd agree with the previous poster(s) that the extension simply doesnt work that well, however it sounds like other people in this thread have gotten it to work.
21st February 2014, 03:03 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Prior to HBOGO becoming CC compatible, I would cast a tab from my desktop Chrome browser streaming a movie or show from HBOGO without any issues.

Now I should point out that except for the CC, phone and tablet, all my devices (various PCs) are hard wired and I am running DD-WRT on my router and wireless access point.

Dan

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
21st February 2014, 04:28 PM |#26  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricong

I tried the Chromecast Video extension on my laptop and can get similar results.

I'm pretty sure it is something with chrome or the extension itself.

I'd agree with the previous poster(s) that the extension simply doesnt work that well, however it sounds like other people in this thread have gotten it to work.

Sometimes other Chrome extensions can interfere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1431

Now I should point out that except for the CC, phone and tablet, all my devices (various PCs) are hard wired and I am running DD-WRT on my router and wireless access point.

This is generally ideal. Any devices that can be reasonably kept off of wireless should be.
21st February 2014, 08:11 PM |#27  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 13

More
You can use a program like WiFi Analyzer to determine the best wifi channel with your router. For some area with congested wifi traffic it might help optimize your network speed.

I've tweaked my 2.4ghz band as best as I could using that program and did a file transfer benchmark between my main pc and laptop. It's been running pretty smoothly without issues.
22nd February 2014, 01:08 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This is interesting. I've looked at newer routers and wondered if/when I'd need to upgrade. I tried Allcast the other day. It worked great with photos and even an .mp4 of the latest True Detective. But a video of my daughter drumming was stuttering like YouTube on a bad day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
28th February 2014, 12:28 AM |#29  
Flag Cape Coral, Florida
Thanks Meter: 60

More
hopefully someone can help me. i cannot stream movies taken from my phone (nexus 5) to my chromecast without severe lag. 1080p videos i downloaded from youtube will play fine however. all stored on the same phone in the same folder. i have tried dropping the resolution down to 720 to see if that would help but it does not. i have tried allcast, avia, you name it i have tried the app. i figured it must be my old router so i went to walmart today and dropped $200 on a top of the line new router. linksys smart wifi router ac. http://www.linksys.com/en-eu/products/routers/EA6500 supposedly the fastest router available at walmart. anyways not any better. is there a certain way i need to set up this router for maximum bandwidth? there is a smart wifi app by linksys that allows me to set priorities to each device to make sure they get the most bandwidth and i set them to the cc and my n5. my regular internet is through centurylink and it's only a 10 MB connection ( the fastest they have) but that shouldn't matter since i'm casting from my phone to the router and the router to the cc right? any advice (in laymans terms) would be greatly appreciated
28th February 2014, 12:50 AM |#30  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobprobert

hopefully someone can help me. i cannot stream movies taken from my phone (nexus 5) to my chromecast without severe lag. 1080p videos i downloaded from youtube will play fine however. all stored on the same phone in the same folder. i have tried dropping the resolution down to 720 to see if that would help but it does not. i have tried allcast, avia, you name it i have tried the app. i figured it must be my old router so i went to walmart today and dropped $200 on a top of the line new router. linksys smart wifi router ac. http://www.linksys.com/en-eu/products/routers/EA6500 supposedly the fastest router available at walmart. anyways not any better. is there a certain way i need to set up this router for maximum bandwidth? there is a smart wifi app by linksys that allows me to set priorities to each device to make sure they get the most bandwidth and i set them to the cc and my n5. my regular internet is through centurylink and it's only a 10 MB connection ( the fastest they have) but that shouldn't matter since i'm casting from my phone to the router and the router to the cc right? any advice (in laymans terms) would be greatly appreciated

It's probably not the router so much as the WiFi signal strength either increasing the latency or decreasing the bandwidth.

Once the bandwidth requirement is filled, it comes down to latency.

I'm assuming you have a 10 Mbit (2.25 MB/sec) connection, rather than a 10 MByte (80 Mbit) connection, though 80 Mbit is possible in high-end tiers in some areas, or if you have fibre.

bubbleguuum posted some some real-world experience and said essentially anything over 5 Mbit will be problematic, and most 1080p stuff is recorded at higher than 5 Mbit/sec.

Remove any obstructions between Chromecast and the router's line-of-sight. Make sure they're both near the same altitude, not stacked, as wireless generally does not travel up/down well in standard antenna orientation (ie, if your router is upstairs or downstairs with respect to Chromecast you'll have reduced signal).

Use the HDMI extender or HDMI extension cable to get Chromecast out from behind the TV - the TV's electronics do wonders to block WiFi signal.

If your device has a 5 GHz radio, use it so you don't have traffic going both ways on the 2.4 GHz band.

You can also try lowering your phone's recording Quality - that should reduce the bitrate for (new) recordings.
28th February 2014, 01:31 AM |#31  
Flag Cape Coral, Florida
Thanks Meter: 60

More
so you are saying that the speed of my isp affects streaming videos stored on my device to chromecast even though it is not going to the internet through any servers? i'm talking just allcast or avia casting content stored on my Nexus 5
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)