HOWTO: Softbank MMS on X01HT Made Easy

Search This thread

Kilihari

Nov 26, 2006
All right Everyone,

Here is the issue for anyone who doesn't know before we get started. If you setup Arcsoft's MMS Composer on your X01HT, you will have something called a 'Decoder Error' whenever you get an MMS message that is more than a couple of words. You can partially solve this issue by using the MMS Resender program, the other issue is that once you use the MMS Resender program you sometimes can not read your MMS anyways, it just comes in as a file that you can not open. But here it is, this is all I know which isn't much, but it's fun to try and get kinda working. My goal here is to create a discussion group solely on finding a 100% successful way to get MMS working, as MMS is AWESOME!

**QUOTE** Basically, softbank's MMS system uses some sort of non-standard MMS notification messages and MMS Composer can not understand them, thus generating error. Somehow, requesting softbank to re-send MMS notifications for the messages remaining on their MMS server cause the MMS system to send standard MMS notifications that MMS Composer can understand, and this time, it can retrieve MMS messages from the MMS server without a problem. MMS Resender basically does this trick **QUOTE** - hiroshiy

Also, you can install the mms composer 3.2, from the newest TYTN rom from HTC but then the Resender program will not work with it, or I have not gotten it to work with it, and although it's cool to have the newest program, you have to use the resender program at present. Anyways, here it is. Oh... and one more thing, the reason why we are using vodafone's proxys and passwords and all that stuff is because Softbank considers the MMS a super crazy uber secret the likes of which we have never seen before. OOHHH KAY.. here it goes.. my step by step guide of awesomeness....

#1. Be Cool, take a minute to reflect on just how cool you are for owning this piece of wonderful technology, and just think while other people are out there swimming, running, playing video games, you are here getting your mms to work! WOO, we are awesome, well at least I think so ehhehehe, NEXT!

#2. Get the stuff you need! Go and download the Asukal's package of Arcsoft's MMS Composer Z. ftp://xda:xda@ftp.xda-developers.com/Hermes/Tools_and_Programs/Asukal/PocketMSN_MMSz.zip. Also you will need a registry editor, I recommend Resco Registry editor! Also guys, Resco is cheap and it is a really good program, I really like to support this company, so don't go downloading it from a torrent site like http://www.isohunt.com or nothing, you cheap basterds, common and buy it :D. The third thing you will need is the MMS Resender which can be acquired through the beautiful link here http://www.k5.dion.ne.jp/~ykp/LOVELOG_IMG/MMSResender_v1.1.zip.

#3. Unzip the cab files, and copy the mms_composer_z.cab to your "My Documents" area or where ever you will remember that you put it.

#4. Click on it, and Install it to your device, click "ok to restart your device".

#5. Click on: Start -=> Settings -=> Connections "Tab" -=> Connections.

#6. Under "My Work Network" click on "Add a New Modem Connection"

#7. You should see "Make New Connection, Enter a name for the Connection", I like to call mine Vodafone MMS to make it abundantly clear that I am connecting to Vodafone's network. You can however name this anything you want! You can even name this "MMS IS SUPER FUNKY FUN!" but, that would mean that you are gay.

#8. You will also see "Select a modem:", change drop down listbox to "Cellular Line (GRPS, 3G)", then click next!

#9. This is where it starts to get technical. Woo, can ya feeeel yer heart pumping with haxxorness? I can! Wooo! All praise to Jesus!! This is the greatest moment of my life!! ..... ok, maybe not... but damn close.. damn close I tell ya! You should see "Access point name:" In this box you want to put "mailwebservice.vodafone.ne.jp", then click "Next". WOO!

#10. You should now see "Vodafone MMS" or whatever you named your connection, at the top! Under "Username" you want to put "vodafonelive", and under "Password:" you want to put "qceffknarlurqgbl" (make sure you type in this password correctly, it can be the source of much frustration! Click next motha fakkaz! Aight.. click "FINISH"!

#11. Click on "Start" -=> "Messaging" -=> "Menu" -=> "MMS Configuration" -=> "Servers" tab. -=> "New". Under "Server Name" type "mailwebservice.vodafone.n" (no this is not a mistake, don't worry about the ".n" ending, we will fix it right away, if you notice you can't type in anymore can you ... k, do what I say and let me do my job damnitt hehehe), Under "Gateway" type "vfkkmmsproxy.vodafone.ne.jp", Under "Port Number" type "8080", Under "Server address" type "http:/mms/", Under "Connect via" in the dropdown listbox choose "My Work Network", Under "Sending Size Limitation" select in the dropdown listbox "248k", Under the "WAP Version" in the listbox choose "WAP 2.0" Click on "OK" in the bottom left hand corner! This should bring you back to the "MMS Configuration" screen. You should now see two things in there. 1) "mailwebservice.vodafone.n" 2) "SampleMMSC" Now, you should have "mailwebservice.vodafone.n" highlighted, and click on "Set As Default" in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Then hold down your stylus on "Sample MMSC" and delete the little kakaroach. "Do you want to delete this server from the server list?" - I have just one answer for you... SAY HELLO TO MAH LITTLE FRIEND.. YES CLICK YES OHH YEAH.. CAN YA FEEL IT ... CAN YA?!?!?! Ok, after all of this, click ok in the top right hand corner of the screen! Then click ok again in the top right hand corner of the screen. Now you should be back to the main today screen.

#12. K, we gotta shut down all the programs that are currently open on your phone cuz we are going to do a little bit of registry editing and we can't have nothing' opened see... nothing I tells ya... nothing! Click on "Start" -=> "Settings" -=> "System" tab -=> "Memory" -=> "Running Programs" -=> "Stop All".

#13. Open up your registry editor. Damnitt, did ya think I was going to tell ya how to click on the icon? AHhhh.. ok... fine.. here we go, onto the longest MMS explanation EVER in the history of the friggen world. Click on "Start" -=> "Programs" -=> "Resco Registry" -=> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -=> SOFTWARE -=> Arcsoft -=> ArcSoft MMS UA -=> Config -=> mm1 -=> XXXXX (this is a random number here chosen by the program, it will be the only number in this directory, ya can't miss it) -=> "Name", then here we finish typing in the name of the Server, so under "String" you will type "mailwebservice.vodafone.ne.jp", click on "Done" then click on the "Yes" for the warning message that comes up! Click on ".." -=> "WspHeader" -=> "User-Agent", then type under "Sting" type "Vodafone/1.0/V802SE/SEJ002" click on "Done" then click on the "Yes" for the warning message that comes up! Now you have to save the changed registry entries to the registry and many people get hung up on this part but, serious, this is one of the most crucial parts. Turn your device off. Just the soft of, you know like sleep mode off, you know not actually turn it off, just sorta turn it off.... ahhhh... I will explain. Just click the button that is just to the right of the video conference call camera lens for like .1 second. Not like 5 seconds, just like .1 second, we just want to turn the display off. Then wait for ten seconds and turn the display back on. Congratulations, the registry has been changed. OK, NEXT we will click on the "X" button in the top right hand corner of the screen. Then "X" again, and you should be back to your today screen. All right. How do you feel? You are almost there!.... can ya taste it? I sure know I can! Reboot your device. Ahh.. geeze.. put the friggen pointy stylus thingie in the bottom of the device's little hole... ahh.. never mind.. if ya can't figure out that one .. ehhehe. next!

#14. Here is the clincher.. go back into MMS in messenger and send yourself an Email to your hotmail or google address. You will get a weird looking email like dsaflkjfasild49037@softbank.ne.jp, this will be your new mms email address. YOU CAN CHANGE THIS... ehhehe.. this is what I did, go to your local Softbank branch, tell them that you want to change your mms address, and they will be like .... sure, no problem, then you pull out your X01HT and they will look mad for a second and then you just tell them that you have bought a mms program over the internet and got it too work, like they know the difference! They will say sure no problem, and they will take out your little sim card and change your mms to whatever you like. Isn't that beautiful? You must however send one mms message from your X01HT for it to give you this painful mms automatically. Then you can change it to whatever you like.

#15. Last but not least, take the MMS Resender program, copy it into the program files directory on your device. Make a link to it and place it on your programs menu, you will need it allot. K, also one more thing, you might wonder to yourselves, "Why isn't he using MMS Resender v1.2", I guess it is because it has never worked at all for me, I will load it up, and nothing at all will happen. If anyone knows the answer to this, let me know! ehehhe. Click on it, click file then open. Should re-receive all your messaged you have ever gotten, but strangest thing is, you still might not be able to read them, so here is where I am stuck. **Damnitt now I am getting a “connect init error” from this stupid resender program, it was working before but, but.. of course now it is not. Anyways, anyone can shed some like on this matter, this is the thread to do it. I want to soely dedicate this thread to MMS debugging and fixing. I want MMS, and I know many, many people do to!**

-Joe :D

Last edited:

chainbolt

Dec 4, 2006
Tokyo
Dear Joe-san, this is a wondeful piece you have authored here, exactly what I was looking for - inlcuding these

.... two hot oiled up lesbians with hot matrix clothing makkin out in front of me...

Thanks a lot for that. ) :) I know understand why the MMS composer included in my HTC ROM + re-sendder 1.2 never worked.

Pls. don't forget to forward it to Softbank so that they are prepared when we come asking them to change our MMS address. :p

Last edited:

chainbolt

Dec 4, 2006
Tokyo
I followed the guide to the letter, and can now for the time SEND MMS. Great! However, the r-sender always gives me the "ConnectIni" Error, regardless whether I use 1.0 or 1.1. I guess there is still something wrong with my settings. Any idea?

Kilihari

Nov 26, 2006
Fixed, I figured out what I did wrong!

Ok people, I figured out what I did wrong. It's actually quite simple, but that is what I guess makes big problems, the simple errors. Also, I am sure that I can get MMS 3.2 working now instead of the MMS 3.0. I will post all my findings later tonight. Here is how you get the resender program to work. Ok, goto 'Start' - 'Settings' - 'Connections' tab - 'Connections' - Under "My Work Network" click on "Manage Existing Connections" then click on the 'General' tab and change the network name to 'VFJP Network'. Click ok, ok, ok. You're done! It should work. Also, I will post a new message tonight on how to get the new MMS Messenger 3.2 to work, it's actually really easy and one more cool thing... I think I might have gotten MMS to work using softbanks servers, we can now maybe do this all on softbanks open connection, but I am in the testing phase. Cuz I'M AWESOME!!!

-Joe
So cool, I have written this whole message on my X01HT.

chainbolt

Dec 4, 2006
Tokyo
Ok, goto 'Start' - 'Settings' - 'Connections' tab - 'Connections' - Under "My Work Network" click on "Manage Existing Connections" then click on the 'General' tab and change the network name to 'VFJP Network'. Click ok, ok, ok. You're done! It should work.

Great, after changing, the re-sender is now working!

Last edited:

Kilihari

Nov 26, 2006
Chainbolt! I want to help you man!

Ok, tell me exactly what is under your "Start" -=> "Settings" -=> "Connections" tab -=> "Connections" -=> Under "My Work Network" click on the "Manage Existing Connections" link -=> "General" tab and change the network name to "VFJP Network" <=- this has to be EXACTALLY LIKE THIS, otherwise you will get the 'connectiniterror', you must have this exactly like this.

Also, I am just going to try and get the NEW MMS Messenger 3.2 to work, this is going to be awesome, because I think I can get all the settings to work with our open.softbank.ne.jp connection! I think..... SOOOO I'll be back. Damnitt, there has to be more than two people interested in this.. frick, do you know how long it has taken me to get this all working. I think I have finally perfected my Hermes.

Ok, this is what I have done!

Super SIM & CIDed my Hermez.
Hacked Softbanks boot Loader 1.09 and brought it down to 1.04, it's actually not that difficult, and believe me, if I can crack it, if Asukal can crack it, then others can too, just a little trick I learned in College. (Softbank should not put all their eggs in one basket, if this crack is released, it will damage Hermes in Japan? Who in the world thought that they could make something without us figuring out how to unmake it? Do you think your programmers are smarter than everybody else’s programmers? I love that I got my Hermes for free, but, at what price, the price that this will be the only HTC in Japan ever? You guys need a different marketing strategy if you are putting so many eggs in one basket. -JK Next, get POP and SMTP to work perfectly, get MMS to work perfectly, get Hotmail to work in Messenger Perfectly, get my 3G Icon back, get a normal dialler back in there, get GPS working, get some cool games, get some cool apps like msn search live, get Nintendo working, and change the splash screen to the cool logo that one of the kids posted here. That’s it... I love my Hermes.

Last edited:

spired

Oct 28, 2006
Old ROM or new ROM?

Does this work for the new locked SB ROM? Or is it just for the old one?

Thanks.

chainbolt

Dec 4, 2006
Tokyo
Ok, tell me exactly what is under your "Start" -=> "Settings" -=> "Connections" tab -=> "Connections" -=> Under "My Work Network" click on the "Manage Existing Connections" link -=> "General" tab and change the network name to "VFJP Network" <=- this has to be EXACTALLY LIKE THIS, otherwise you will get the 'connectiniterror', you must have this exactly like this.

Also, I am just going to try and get the NEW MMS Messenger 3.2 to work, this is going to be awesome, because I think I can get all the settings to work with our open.softbank.ne.jp connection! I think..... SOOOO I'll be back. Damnitt, there has to be more than two people interested in this.. frick, do you know how long it has taken me to get this all working. I think I have finally perfected my Hermes.

Ok, this is what I have done!

Super SIM & CIDed my Hermez.
Hacked Softbanks boot Loader 1.09 and brought it down to 1.04, it's actually not that difficult, and believe me, if I can crack it, if Asukal can crack it, then others can too, just a little trick I learned in College. (Softbank should not put all their eggs in one basket, if this crack is released, it will damage Hermes in Japan? Who in the world thought that they could make something without us figuring out how to unmake it? Do you think your programmers are smarter than everybody else’s programmers? I love that I got my Hermes for free, but, at what price, the price that this will be the only HTC in Japan ever? You guys need a different marketing strategy if you are putting so many eggs in one basket. -JK Next, get POP and SMTP to work perfectly, get MMS to work perfectly, get Hotmail to work in Messenger Perfectly, get my 3G Icon back, get a normal dialler back in there, get GPS working, get some cool games, get some cool apps like msn search live, get Nintendo working, and change the splash screen to the cool logo that one of the kids posted here. That’s it... I love my Hermes.

Thank you SO MUCH. It's now working. Everything: SMS, MMS, Hotmail, and POP3.

Kilihari

Nov 26, 2006
MMS Messenger 3.2 **WORKING PERFECTLY**

Ok People!

Here is the facts! I have just got messenger 3.2 to work perfectly with resender and it works awesome. It is fully integrated with Messenger and it works like a breaze. One of the main features, is, it looks a little bit prittier and you can save the attachments that will not open and then you can open them in a message viewer, MMS is now almost perfect. Now to crack mms.softbank.ne.jp, then I will be happy. OK BYE.

-Joe.

Kilihari

Nov 26, 2006
Also, one more little thing I would like to share.

If you put the MMSresender.exe VERSION 1.2 into your /Windows/Startup folder then it will load every time windows does and automatically minimizez itself. Here I thought version 1.2 wasn't working, but it was working all the time, you have to just go into the memory area and activate it to see it. You dont need to do that anyways, because version 1.2 will minimize automatically and then when it detects a decorder error it will automatically grab the mms message without you knowing anything went wrong, and combine all of this with verion 3.2 in the new tytn rom OOOOO it is beautiful, and I think you can just install version 3.2 just by downloading the cab file and clicking on it. It's on this site, just find the extended rom for the newest HTC rom and then download it and click on mms32.cab or whatever it is called. BUT YEAH... it is done.. it is possible... and it works ALMOST flawlessly! WOO!

-Joe. time for sleep.

Zgembo

Dec 1, 2006
Seems that this does not work on SoftBank or DoCoMo ROMs... It's possible to extract & install MP_MMS3.2_HTC_GenS_Hermes_061110.CAB from new HTC TyTN ROM, but nothing changes... No MMS options under messaging. I also tried instaling complete HTC TyTN Extended ROM, soft reset, no go. Same on both SoftBank & DoCoMo ROMs.

But Asukal's MMS Composer works on both. (He's the man! ;) ) I noticed that Asukal's Composer has more than 60! files and man Registry entries, it's 2.6 MB in size, while TyTN's cab only has few hundred kb... Something is missing, for sure...

We should ask Asukal to make new version of MMS Composer, right? :D

Kilihari

Nov 26, 2006
You tried to install MMS Composer 3.2 on Softbank?

Could you verify something for me. Cuz initially I thought that the options wern't there either, but I have found them in a different location. They are in "Start" -=> "Messaging" -=> "Menu" -=> "Tools" -=> "Options" -=> And under here I see "Text Messages", "MMS", "(My Pop Account)", and "New Account". What do you see? Of course under MMS is where I configure it. This works absolutely flawless. I also have much less problems with MMS 3.2 than MMS 3.0. It also looks nicer. ehheeheh.

Anyways.. give it a shot, tell me what you see!

Alcibiade

Dec 23, 2006
New York
I must have done something wrong

I installed MMS resender, MMS composer
I manage to get the MMS in without error messages (ie resender doing its job properly). But the bodies of the MMS are empty. Most of them are 1K size. I sent myself an MMS from my email account in order to check, and I have the same result... (ie nothink in the message)
Besides when I try to send one from my Hermes, it fails...
Would someone have an idea of what I misconfigured ?
Please, help !!

Alcibiade

Dec 23, 2006
New York
Actually I understand that what I recieve are only notifications... When I tried to download, I get the following message "Unable to receive your message. Your messge notification will remain in the inbox"
I obviously mis configured something :(

I installed MMS resender, MMS composer
I manage to get the MMS in without error messages (ie resender doing its job properly). But the bodies of the MMS are empty. Most of them are 1K size. I sent myself an MMS from my email account in order to check, and I have the same result... (ie nothink in the message)
Besides when I try to send one from my Hermes, it fails...
Would someone have an idea of what I misconfigured ?
Please, help !!

Alcibiade

Dec 23, 2006
New York
Actually I understand that what I recieve are only notifications... When I tried to download, I get the following message "Unable to receive your message. Your messge notification will remain in the inbox"
I obviously mis configured something :(

I think I found the source of the problem... It seems that in my MMS configuration, my option "Connect via" automatically resets to something else than "VFJP Network". I cannot say what since it is in japanese in my list, but it s the seventh from the top (Just below Internet)
I created anew server config... But again whenever I come back to the MMS configuration... the connect via option has switched back to this option....
Anybody can check it is the same for him ? Or someone had the same problem ?
Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Alcibiade

Dec 23, 2006
New York
That's something else

It looks like for any connection inputed in English, the system has a corresponding one with a Japanese title (I use the MUI from Asukal)
Whenever I chose one fo the possible connections (Like WAP, Work, Secure Wao, etc...) when I come back to the configuration later, the choice has been switched to one of the Japanese designation in the list (And there seem to be a matching one for one)
So I guess the problem is somwhere else. Besides I would probably not recieve the notices if this setting was wrong, no ?

chainbolt

Dec 4, 2006
Tokyo
It looks like for any connection inputed in English, the system has a corresponding one with a Japanese title (I use the MUI from Asukal)
Whenever I chose one fo the possible connections (Like WAP, Work, Secure Wao, etc...) when I come back to the configuration later, the choice has been switched to one of the Japanese designation in the list (And there seem to be a matching one for one)
So I guess the problem is somwhere else. Besides I would probably not recieve the notices if this setting was wrong, no ?

Flash an English ROM, for the examp e the WWE ROM form HTC South Africa, and the problem is gone. It comes with Composer 3.2, and Re-sender 1.2 is also working. The set-up as described in the initial post works w/o any problem for the Softbank network.