iPhone 4 vs Android (My Comparison)

Search This thread

kobecamp2009

May 7, 2010
Pasadena
mylifeisandroid.com
All over the Internet bloggers have been comparing Android and iPhone 4 over what Steve Jobs presented on his keynote, but was Steve Jobs really just announcing new updates that Android had from the start and even older OS in the past? Here is the true and unbiased comparison coming from a former iPhone fanatic.

4G - HTC EVO 4G is the first phone in the US to support 4G. Ironically Apple’s new phone is code named iPhone 4, but does not support 4G. Step your game up Apple. We live in a world that demands SPEED. I doubt AT&T’s 3G speeds can compete with Sprint’s 4G. (Winner - Android)

Video Chat over 3G - I’m sorry Apple. If I wanted to video chat on my WiFi connection, I would head over to my Mac. Thanks for trying though. (Winner - Android)

Battery - 300 hours of standby is amazing. With 7 hours of 3G talk, and 40 hours of music, some nights you won’t even need to charge your phone. Only If somehow Android were to acquire Apple’s battery. (Winner - iPhone)

Customization - It’s not even close. Apple finally let users put their own background in the new iOS 4. Really Apple? My old Nokia e90 had this feature 5 years ago. Android has LIVE wallpapers, normal wallpapers, widgets, folders, and much more. (Winner - Android)

Applications (Tie) Apple’s application approval process is very slow and sometimes takes months! This causes frustrated developers, and sometimes developers even quit leaving the application on the app store with no more future updates. ALA Facebook Developer. Android is SO simple. Develop your application and just click “submit application”. Soon Android will gather the attention they deserve. Yes, Apple does have the better applications, but Android is new, and with 4G rolling out, the future is bright. (Tie)

Variety - No matter what cellular service you are with, you always will have a choice to get yourself an android device. With over 30+ phones on Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint, anyone has a chance to go Android. (Winner - Android)

Multitasking - Android’s multi tasking is incredible. Android’s main feature is the notification bar, something iPhone will never have. Yes, Apple finally will support multi tasking, but it has no chance against Android. (Winner - Android)

Folders - This is very disappointing how this feature is one the biggest features in the new iOS 4. Folders was introduced in Android 3 years ago. Welcome to Earth, Steve Jobs. Apple does deserve credit. iPhone’s folders does seem a slight upgrade compared to the current folders on Android. (Winner - Apple)

Physical Keyboards - Want a touchscreen? Get an EVO or Nexus One. Want a keyboard? Get the Droid or Devour. Simple as that. (Winner - Android)

FLASH - I remember waiting impatiently for the Froyo leak for my Nexus One just a few weeks back. I couldn't wait to try Flash 10.1 Beta. It’s been two weeks and I can’t remember the last time I used Flash. This is very sad. Maybe Steve Jobs was right after all. Regardless, Flash opens up opportunities. Android users can now go away from the market and play their favorite online game, or even watch their favorite TV Shows.
(Winner - Android)

Tethering- Share your 3G or 4G Internet with your iPad, MAC, or PC. It was hilarious how Google demonstrated the new Android tether feature by tethering with the iPad. (Winner - Android)

Speed - No one can really tell how fast that new A4 chip will be on the iPhone 4. Until then, this is a draw with Android’s Snapdragon 1GHZ Processor. (Tie)

On a side note - iPhone users need to Jailbreak or hack their phones to get it as good as Android. That’s sad. Yes, there is jailbreaking for android, but its not that silly little changing themes and getting free apps. Jailbreaking for nexus gives you a choice to switch between different android devices such as having the EVO/Sense UI on a nexus one. Andy

Last edited:

tomfreay

Sep 5, 2008
Better Battery - iPhone 300 hours of stand by is legit, but i never need my phone to last 300 hours.

I disagree with only this point, I, and I think most overs would love our Android devices to have better batteries!

iPhone OS is just, prehistoric. I mean its just a glorified launcher and some bundled apps, thats it.

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
Nexus is rated 250/290 hours of standby.
Desire is rated 340/360 hours of standby.
iPhone has done nothing extraordinary, as usual. People just discuss the figure thrown at them without even looking, how it compares.
Winner: Android.

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
4G - HTC EVO 4G is the first phone in the US to support 4G. Ironically Apple’s new phone is code named iPhone 4, but does not support 4G. Step your game up Apple. We live in a world that demands SPEED. I doubt AT&T’s 3G speeds can compete with Sprint’s 4G. (Winner - Android) Apple didn't play games, they didn't put 4G, 4 means 4th generation.

Video Chat over 3G - I’m sorry Apple. If I wanted to video chat on my WiFi connection, I would head over to my Mac. Thanks for trying though. (Winner - Android) Agree! idea of video call via WiFi is stupid enough!

Battery - 300 hours of standby is amazing. With 7 hours of 3G talk, and 40 hours of music, some nights you won’t even need to charge your phone. Only If somehow Android were to acquire Apple’s battery. (Winner - iPhone) Yalo! Android battery suck!

Customization - It’s not even close. Apple finally let users put their own background in the new iOS 4. Really Apple? My old Nokia e90 had this feature 5 years ago. Android has LIVE wallpapers, normal wallpapers, widgets, folders, and much more. (Winner - Android) Agree!

Applications (Tie) Apple’s application approval process is very slow and sometimes takes months! This causes frustrated developers, and sometimes developers even quit leaving the application on the app store with no more future updates. ALA Facebook Developer. Android is SO simple. Develop your application and just click “submit application”. Soon Android will gather the attention they deserve. Yes, Apple does have the better applications, but Android is new, and with 4G rolling out, the future is bright. (Tie) No comment.

Variety - No matter what cellular service you are with, you always will have a choice to get yourself an android device. With over 30+ phones on Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint, anyone has a chance to go Android. (Winner - Android) No comment, not important for me. I never tied to any cellular.

Multitasking - Android’s multi tasking is incredible. Android’s main feature is the notification bar, something iPhone will never have. Yes, Apple finally will support multi tasking, but it has no chance against Android. (Winner - Android) Sorry for this, Apple multi tasking is perfection, the best I ever seen.

Folders - This is very disappointing how this feature is one the biggest features in the new iOS 4. Folders was introduced in Android 3 years ago. Welcome to Earth, Steve Jobs. Apple does deserve credit. iPhone’s folders does seem a slight upgrade compared to the current folders on Android. (Winner - Apple) I superb love this idea, agree Apple win.

Physical Keyboards - Want a touchscreen? Get an EVO or Nexus One. Want a keyboard? Get the Droid or Devour. Simple as that. (Winner - Android) No comment, I not using Keyboards. I found it is extra not necessary thing for touch phone.

FLASH - I remember waiting impatiently for the Froyo leak for my Nexus One just a few weeks back. I couldn't wait to try Flash 10.1 Beta. It’s been two weeks and I can’t remember the last time I used Flash. This is very sad. Maybe Steve Jobs was right after all. Regardless, Flash opens up opportunities. Android users can now go away from the market and play their favorite online game, or even watch their favorite TV Shows.
(Winner - Android) But Adobe need to do hard on this, the beta 10.1 is not that well done yet.

Tethering- Share your 3G or 4G Internet with your iPad, MAC, or PC. It was hilarious how Google demonstrated the new Android tether feature by tethering with the iPad. (Winner - Android) Agree.

Speed - No one can really tell how fast that new A4 chip will be on the iPhone 4. Until then, this is a draw with Android’s Snapdragon 1GHZ Processor. (Tie) From iPad, I can knew the performance of A4, it is speedy. OK la.. Tie on this.

On a side note - iPhone users need to Jailbreak or hack their phones to get it as good as Android. That’s sad. Yes, there is jailbreaking for android, but its not that silly little changing themes and getting free apps. Jailbreaking for nexus gives you a choice to switch between different android devices such as having the EVO/Sense UI on a nexus one. - Eh... no comment on this.

commodoor

Mar 8, 2008
Venlo
Multitasking - Android’s multi tasking is incredible. Android’s main feature is the notification bar, something iPhone will never have. Yes, Apple finally will support multi tasking, but it has no chance against Android. (Winner - Android) Sorry for this, Apple multi tasking is perfection, the best I ever seen.

Uuhm whats the difference between them. as far as i could see they worked almost the same. you have a source?

time_shock

Jan 8, 2010
Uuhm whats the difference between them. as far as i could see they worked almost the same. you have a source?
Android allows you to run an acitivity or a service in the background

Apple ties the multi tasking ability to the predefined services. The actual application does not continue running. So you can't create a different kind of app that requires a different kind of service on a custom API that will run in multitasking. Therefore Apple's implementation is rather called multi-threaded kernel than true multi tasking

commodoor

Mar 8, 2008
Venlo
Android allows you to run an acitivity or a service in the background

Apple ties the multi tasking ability to the predefined services. The actual application does not continue running. So you can't create a different kind of app that requires a different kind of service on a custom API that will run in multitasking. Therefore Apple's implementation is rather called multi-threaded kernel than true multi tasking

Ok thnx for explanation. I heard that the there is a modification to multitasking in foryo << is this true?

daeshawn

Mar 5, 2008
Toronto
iPhone OS is just, prehistoric. I mean its just a glorified launcher and some bundled apps, thats it.
Completely agree with this. Android is way more versatile and is open to amazing opportunities. Look at what cy and paul and any other Android dev are doing for Android devices. You dont hear crap in regards to the iphone except that it was jailbroken and might I add they have android running on it!! So what does that really say in the long run when even apple owners and devs spent night trying to get android to run on their beloved iphones.? yeah

Saenic

Jun 4, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro
Nothing Phone 2
Nice comparison

Video Chat over 3G - I’m sorry Apple. If I wanted to video chat on my WiFi connection, I would head over to my Mac. Thanks for trying though. (Winner - Android)
Thehe, had to laugh when the video chat at his presentation began to stutter.

Battery - 300 hours of standby is amazing. With 7 hours of 3G talk, and 40 hours of music, some nights you won’t even need to charge your phone. Only If somehow Android were to acquire Apple’s battery. (Winner - iPhone)
But why do Apple devices have such a long battery life?
I wonder what happens if one uses an undervolted Rom and cuts out all the nice Features that separate Android from iPhone (Multitasking, Wallpapers, etc...) and then compare it again :D

Last edited:

Kartikp84

Nov 21, 2008
All over the Internet bloggers have been comparing Android and iPhone 4 over what Steve Jobs presented on his keynote, but was Steve Jobs really just announcing new updates that Android had from the start and even older OS in the past? Here is the true and unbiased comparison coming from a former iPhone fanatic.

4G - HTC EVO 4G is the first phone in the US to support 4G. Ironically Apple’s new phone is code named iPhone 4, but does not support 4G. Step your game up Apple. We live in a world that demands SPEED. I doubt AT&T’s 3G speeds can compete with Sprint’s 4G. (Winner - Android)

Customization - It’s not even close. Apple finally let users put their own background in the new iOS 4. Really Apple? My old Nokia e90 had this feature 5 years ago. Android has LIVE wallpapers, normal wallpapers, widgets, folders, and much more. (Winner - Android)

Applications (Tie) Apple’s application approval process is very slow and sometimes takes months! This causes frustrated developers, and sometimes developers even quit leaving the application on the app store with no more future updates. ALA Facebook Developer. Android is SO simple. Develop your application and just click “submit application”. Soon Android will gather the attention they deserve. Yes, Apple does have the better applications, but Android is new, and with 4G rolling out, the future is bright. (Tie)

Variety - No matter what cellular service you are with, you always will have a choice to get yourself an android device. With over 30+ phones on Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint, anyone has a chance to go Android. (Winner - Android)

Multitasking - Android’s multi tasking is incredible. Android’s main feature is the notification bar, something iPhone will never have. Yes, Apple finally will support multi tasking, but it has no chance against Android. (Winner - Android)

Folders - This is very disappointing how this feature is one the biggest features in the new iOS 4. Folders was introduced in Android 3 years ago. Welcome to Earth, Steve Jobs. Apple does deserve credit. iPhone’s folders does seem a slight upgrade compared to the current folders on Android. (Winner - Apple)

Physical Keyboards - Want a touchscreen? Get an EVO or Nexus One. Want a keyboard? Get the Droid or Devour. Simple as that. (Winner - Android)

(Winner - Android)

Tethering- Share your 3G or 4G Internet with your iPad, MAC, or PC. It was hilarious how Google demonstrated the new Android tether feature by tethering with the iPad. (Winner - Android)

Speed - No one can really tell how fast that new A4 chip will be on the iPhone 4. Until then, this is a draw with Android’s Snapdragon 1GHZ Processor. (Tie)

On a side note - iPhone users need to Jailbreak or hack their phones to get it as good as Android. That’s sad. Yes, there is jailbreaking for android, but its not that silly little changing themes and getting free apps. Jailbreaking for nexus gives you a choice to switch between different android devices such as having the EVO/Sense UI on a nexus one. Andy
Dude I agree with u, I'm in process of getting a new phone had a iPhone 3gs but sold it cuz it's pretty much same as my iPod touch.
So I m considering exploring the world of android...

xzr3b0rnzx

Sep 13, 2008
go to android when they have better apps and games .. if not u won't get use to it..

for iphone 4 i only liked the retina display and imovies lol

nexus one with 2.2 still owns

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
To be fair, if you want to look at things objectively, Apple has Android beat in a few areas right now:

- screen resolution
- battery life
- video recording quality (maybe a tie if you use a non-HTC device like Milestone)
- apps and games
- accessories (most Android stuff is only found online)

If you compare to the Nexus One, then the virtual keyboard is also an advantage of the iPhone.

But that's fine with me, competition is always good and will push future Android devices to be even better. Let's not get into the sour grapes mentality of Apple users (eg. "I don't need Flash, if I want videos I'll use my PC"), I am already starting to notice that in response to the iPhone 4.

Nonetheless I am still keeping my Nexus One because for my day-to-day needs it is better than any iPhone.

tibere86

Feb 14, 2009
Rockville, MD
Suprised no one mentioned....the networks their on. Coming from a frustating stint on AT&T + iPhone 3GS, personally I think cellphones are only as good as the networks they're on. Granted the iPhone 4's hardware is nothing short of :eek:, I would still take the Nexus on Tmobile. If the iPhone 4's voIP implementation is anywhere as good as Android's, I would probably be sold.

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
To be fair, if you want to look at things objectively, Apple has Android beat in a few areas right now:

- screen resolution
- battery life
- video recording quality (maybe a tie if you use a non-HTC device like Milestone)
- apps and games
- accessories (most Android stuff is only found online)

Let's not get into the sour grapes mentality of Apple users (eg. "I don't need Flash, if I want videos I'll use my PC"), I am already starting to notice that in response to the iPhone 4.

It's so funny to read those comments.

- Screen resolution is true, nothing to say.
- Battery life? Did anyone here manage to read specs of various Android phones, stating better battery life than iPhone from 1/2 year ago? Proclaiming "better battery life' without even seeing the device, much less testing one, by just reading the spec (and forgetting to compare it to other specs)? That's plain stupid / blind / suspected "reality distortion" effect.
- Video recording quality? Again, without measuring / comparing side by side? Evo has better one. Why? Because it's 720p and because I say so. That's just about the same reasoning, bare words.
- Apps and games difference is true, but diminishing.
- Accessories are per phone device, not per OS, and are complete fiction. If tomorrow someone sticks Android on iPhone - you'll have the same "accessories" argument reversed. See my point?

Sour grape mentality has nothing to do with some people not being able to compare things correctly.

[IO]ERROR

Jul 6, 2009
go to android when they have better apps and games .. if not u won't get use to it..

Not true. I was an iPhone 3gs owner till my N1. While I do miss some of the games (scrabble and Monopoly {yes we have this but it sucks compared]) the over all function of my N1 has made me wonder how I didn't make the move sooner.

Maybe it's the geek in me, but I love flashing new roms to get new features and check out all the cool things my phone can do. I rooted my phone the day I got it and didn't think twice about it.

Geo411m

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2009
Bartow Florida
Also, teardowns showed that the phone has 256MB of RAM built into the system-on-a-chip. So it looks like android out does iOS in the ram department.

mariolopezjr

May 24, 2010
~snip~

~snip~
Actually, even though iPhone battery may last longer on a single charge, Android has the edge because not only is the battery removable, you can buy it cheap (25$) from Google. Or you can buy larger aftermarket batteries.

(Winner - Android)