Otterbox defender users question

Search This thread

imablackhat

Sep 15, 2005
www.zevink.com
Have you noticed the buttons are hard to press and when you do press your case makes crackling sounds? I can also push down or move my case around the sides etc. and it makes a lot of sound like it has movement and play and seems flimsy...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

zaures

Aug 10, 2010
I returned mine for that exact reason. One side, I think it was the power button side didn't completely close. All of the clips were secured and the case itself was brand new but the two halves of the case would not sit flush against each other along the seam around the power button area. It caused the case to creak and drove me nuts. Good thing the commuter is so solid and simple.

starnostar

Apr 15, 2009
I bought one and later returned it.

Compared to otterbox ~2-3 years ago, their current line of cases feel cheap and plasticy.

crashnova

Aug 17, 2010
Yonkers
What would you do?

I have the navy blue/grey case. seems great so far. just one thing...i already had a screen protector from the commuter installed. does the defenders built in screen protector stick to the screen and not pop up or feel like a button is being pressed when you touch the screen? should i leave the other screen protector on? or should i remove one or the other?

Oniyuri

I have the navy blue/grey case. seems great so far. just one thing...i already had a screen protector from the commuter installed. does the defenders built in screen protector stick to the screen and not pop up or feel like a button is being pressed when you touch the screen? should i leave the other screen protector on? or should i remove one or the other?

As far as I've experienced, the screen protector on the S4 defender doesn't pop up or stick to the screen; it more like sits flush against the screen. I don't currently have another screen protector on this phone yet but I may end up popping out the built in screen protector if it doesn't fit well with the one I'm planning on buying (a spigen glas.t nano slim).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

Phatdawg

Jan 14, 2011
1) If your defender case doesn't sit properly, it's probably defective and needs to be returned. I've owned several defender cases and none of them have had this "creaking sound" No shifting of the phone within the case.

2) Sand and dirt particles can get in between that screen protector and your screen, so you can get scratches / micro abrasions if you don't have a second screen protector. I suggest you have a cheap one installed. Shouldn't affect use.

3) I would not remove the screen protector if you are using a cheapo screen protector, if you are using some military non piercing one, then you can remove it.

crashnova

Aug 17, 2010
Yonkers
Thanks for the input. Ill keep the commuter screen protector under the defenders. otterbox should have built a home button cover into the case that way no dust can get in where the home button is.

Phatdawg

Jan 14, 2011
Thanks for the input. Ill keep the commuter screen protector under the defenders. otterbox should have built a home button cover into the case that way no dust can get in where the home button is.

Yeah, I think they have the tech to seal it better as they have the armor variant. The problem is that there is potential entry at button and at the top where the front camera and speaker sits also.

crashnova

Aug 17, 2010
Yonkers
Yeah, I think they have the tech to seal it better as they have the armor variant. The problem is that there is potential entry at button and at the top where the front camera and speaker sits also.

True. But I think the top is sealed pretty tight and more flush with the phone than what the part of the screen protector around the home button is..

seajm

Account currently disabled
Jul 22, 2010
Sweden
IMO, the Defender series for the S4 is garbage! Noisy, buttons hard to push. Returned it today and replaced it with a Commuter series and Ghost Armor screen protector.

gruuvin

Nov 24, 2011
Atlanta
I would agree about the defender being creaky with buttons hard to push

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

seajm

Account currently disabled
Jul 22, 2010
Sweden
IMO, the Defender series for the S4 is garbage! Noisy, buttons hard to push. Returned it today and replaced it with a Commuter series and Ghost Armor screen protector.
One other thing about the defender.......Without the crappy plastic built in screen protector and the Ghost Armor applied, the phone responds so much better! Like night and day!

imablackhat

Sep 15, 2005
www.zevink.com
I ended up getting the uag. Much happier, but now I don't know what to do with my old otter box defender

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

reverepats

Dec 22, 2010
Boston,MA
1) If your defender case doesn't sit properly, it's probably defective and needs to be returned. I've owned several defender cases and none of them have had this "creaking sound" No shifting of the phone within the case.

2) Sand and dirt particles can get in between that screen protector and your screen, so you can get scratches / micro abrasions if you don't have a second screen protector. I suggest you have a cheap one installed. Shouldn't affect use.

3) I would not remove the screen protector if you are using a cheapo screen protector, if you are using some military non piercing one, then you can remove it.

Ya I've had 3 defenders, 2 Glacier color, and now using the Gray/Green color and they all have a Creek in one corner. I've yet to have one that didn't have the creek. Still not a deal breaker for me. Even with all the dirt and dust I'm around in work, it's still flawless.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

resurektz

Jul 29, 2013
Anyone here use a invisible sheild for their phone? im thinking of getting one when i return my case at best buy and throwing a commuter or some other case on it, but i dont think best buy sells the tempered glass ones. I'm not to worried about my phone shattering as it to getting scratches, i have warrenty for cracked screens, can't do anything about scratches unfortunately.