Unlocked Samsung on ATT or TMO

Search This thread

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
Hurricane, WV
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 5a
Does anyone know how the new unlocked devices handle carriers like ATT for calling features, like WiFi Calling? The Pixel works as long as your account is activated for WFC

If not, will you be able to flash carrier former on an unlocked device to get features working?

I don't know how that works with ATT - I know that my G975F does not get those calling features - but considering the unlocked Pixel Does get Wifi Calling and and Enhanced LTE on ATT, it is possible that an Unlocked Samsung Phone will too. (if it were a tmobile phone, it would not get WIfi Calling on ATT - but I honestly think the Unlocked Samsung Might) Good Luck.

Reactions: jcrompton

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
Hurricane, WV
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 5a
I don't know how that works with ATT - I know that my G975F does not get those calling features - but considering the unlocked Pixel Does get Wifi Calling and and Enhanced LTE on ATT, it is possible that an Unlocked Samsung Phone will too. (if it were a tmobile phone, it would not get WIfi Calling on ATT - but I honestly think the Unlocked Samsung Might) Good Luck.
Wasn't sure ..... It was strange in that ordering the unlocked from Samsung have 600 credit for a Note 9 , but only 300 for an ATT ???
I have accounts with ATT and TMO ..... So I thought I know unlocked might be best

But I don't want to end up with no calling features on either

black96ss

Dec 28, 2012
Worst case i would assume you could Odin the att files on the unlocked version to enable it. That's how it's been the last few years anyway with Samsung devices(snapdragons). I know that those features work on the unlocked with t mobile.

Reactions: jcrompton

chetly968

Jul 15, 2014
Paradise Valley
On T-Mobile I get WiFi calling and volte with my old Note 9 and current S10+. Never had an issue. The only thing you do t get is that aggregate LTE capability. But I don't really notice a difference in speeds. Not sure how it works with ATT.

guyd

Feb 12, 2011
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Does anyone know how the new unlocked devices handle carriers like ATT for calling features, like WiFi Calling? The Pixel works as long as your account is activated for WFC

If not, will you be able to flash carrier former on an unlocked device to get features working?

I can tell you that the Unlocked S10+ does NOT get WiFi Calling or VoLTE on AT&T.

bkdodger

Jan 30, 2011
S10+ here on T-Mobile all is solid with unlocked.. I expect the same on N10+

S10+ Tapatalk

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
Hurricane, WV
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 5a
I can tell you that the Unlocked S10+ does NOT get WiFi Calling or VoLTE on AT&T.
Did you try any of the "tricks"? Like Odin flashing carrier firmware or making sure that ATT had your IMEI in their database or even putting an ATT device IMEI in your account settings?

Because if you do nothing and expect WiFi calling on a non ATT device it will never work

about N975U1 firmware
-ATT CSC : no features
-TMC CSC ( Tmobile )
ftLBI03.png

-XAA CSC ( unbranded ) IMSsetting for Vermont , VIAERO and GCI WEB
-XAG CSC ( unbranded ) IMSsetting for Tracfone - T Mobile , Simple , WalMart Family Mobile , Solavei , Multibrand , Consumer Cellular TMO , LycaMobile , PLDT , Red Pocket ,
Republic Wireless , Ultra Mobile , Ting , Vodafone US

regards

Reactions: joemill

guyd

Feb 12, 2011
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Did you try any of the "tricks"? Like Odin flashing carrier firmware or making sure that ATT had your IMEI in their database or even putting an ATT device IMEI in your account settings?

Because if you do nothing and expect WiFi calling on a non ATT device it will never work

Odin flash carrier firmware. I'd rather just buy the AT&T version and not have to go through the trouble.

Yes, AT&T has my IMEI in their database. I even gave them one from my AT&T branded S9+, but that trick doesn't work anymore. They read the IMEI directly out of the device at some point when it connects to their network.

I called support and asked them to verify that I had WiFi calling and VoLTE provisioned, but then when they saw the IMEI was from an unlocked S10+, they told me it wasn't supported.

I did everything I could short of flashing the carrier firmware, which I didn't want to do because I was considering switching back to Verizon. BTW, WiFi calling and VoLTE works fine on Verizon with an unlocked Samsung S9 or S10 without having to flash anything! It's AT&T that's being difficult.

butchieboy

Feb 15, 2012
springfield.il
What Guyd said. I called At&t to see if they coould provision a device. The young lady I spoke with gave a list of like 5 devices they can provision. I then asked about the unlocked firmware and they do not support unlocked firmware for advanced messaging..wifi calling..or volte

SM-N935F Note FE OREO

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
Hurricane, WV
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 5a
Odin flash carrier firmware. I'd rather just buy the AT&T version and not have to go through the trouble.

Yes, AT&T has my IMEI in their database. I even gave them one from my AT&T branded S9+, but that trick doesn't work anymore. They read the IMEI directly out of the device at some point when it connects to their network.

I called support and asked them to verify that I had WiFi calling and VoLTE provisioned, but then when they saw the IMEI was from an unlocked S10+, they told me it wasn't supported.

I did everything I could short of flashing the carrier firmware, which I didn't want to do because I was considering switching back to Verizon. BTW, WiFi calling and VoLTE works fine on Verizon with an unlocked Samsung S9 or S10 without having to flash anything! It's AT&T that's being difficult.

For sure, with some of my prior devices unlocked firmware or even custom ROMs would not allow for ATT to be successful with WFC. It takes an IMEI ,(that's from an ATT branded device that does WiFi calling in your billing account) ..... AND ..... The correct CSC stuff ...... AND ...... a couple of files that are used by the system with ATT WFC.

The Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a had all that was needed, even though unlocked, to work with ATT and obtain WFC as long as you had correct info on ATTs end with an IMEI that allowed for WFC on their Network.
Btw in my experience I never had any issues with another IMEI being maintained in my billing account but admittedly it was easier for me to change IMEI because I could do it myself with my business account portal.

But some prior devices like the Note 9 and S9 and 10 required other stuff including files to make things to work.

My original question was a hopeful one that the newer device Note 10 (unlocked) possibly had everything it needed ( at least on the phone's end to make things work, like the Pixels do).

Btw. In my experience, asking level 1 or even 2 ATT tech support is utterly useless with things like this.
They don't " support" anything that isn't in their cookbooks that they read from during a tech support call!!!!!

All that said, my guess is that we may have to flash carrier firmware with Odin to get calling features with ATT but I also guess that TMobile will work out of the box, as I believe some have confirmed already

What Guyd said. I called At&t to see if they coould provision a device. The young lady I spoke with gave a list of like 5 devices they can provision. I then asked about the unlocked firmware and they do not support unlocked firmware for advanced messaging..wifi calling..or volte

SM-N935F Note FE OREO

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
On T-Mobile I get WiFi calling and volte with my old Note 9 and current S10+. Never had an issue. The only thing you do t get is that aggregate LTE capability. But I don't really notice a difference in speeds. Not sure how it works with ATT.
What is aggregate LTE?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
@aznmode .
google is your friend : ask for ATT Carrier Agregation
it's the association of multiple frequencies for better Peak data rate in LT-Advanced

I searched for aggregate LTE and I was confused when it showed "carrier" integration and I assume carrier meant providers. But I get it now. Thanks for the reply.

johnronin

Jul 24, 2010
Has there ever been an attempt to sue AT&T since they force you to buy from them...and disable phone's features that you pay for but can't use due to having an unlocked phone?

Has there ever been an attempt to sue AT&T since they force you to buy from them...and disable phone's features that you pay for but can't use due to having an unlocked phone?

No

1. They DON'T force you to buy from them. You can buy just about any unlocked device and use it on ATT. For example the Google Pixel or any of the Samsung Galaxy phones.

2. They haven't disabled anything on your phone. But they have a right to determine which phone features will work on their Network. Unless you are paying a separate fee for WiFi calling or VoLTE, then they aren't disabling anything that your paying for. They simply require you to use an ATT branded device to access certain free features.

Does it suck that you have to have an ATT branded device? Sure. Is it illegal. Absolutely not.

By the way, ALL the carriers do this to an extent. Sprint won't hardly activate a phone on their Network that isn't a Sprint branded device. I think they've eased those restrictions, but just a couple years ago with the Note 8, they had a very strict list of BYOD devices.

WiFi calling and VoLTE works on T-Mobile with an unlocked device, but RCA messaging and video calling from the stock dialer does not.

I'm not sure about Verizon, but I believe not all of their features work with the unbranded firmware either.

beethoven1854

Jul 30, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I flashed my unlocked Note 10 Plus to the ATT U firmware. I am using ATT prepaid. Right now ATT wifi calling doesn't work with Note 10 Plus but it does work for S10 Plus (and previous models). I am pretty sure this is because the Note 10 is still very new and their system needs some update. I will wait a couple weeks and see what happens.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Worst case i would assume you could Odin the att files on the unlocked version to enable it. That's how it's been the last few years anyway with Samsung devices(snapdragons). I know that those features work on the unlocked with t mobile.
    I have the unlocked Note 10+ on T-Mobile and have all of my carrier features except native video calling/rcs.