How to Unlock Your Bootloader - Firmware Version VRALJB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
This technique will not work if you have applied the OTA update from 18January2012. Go here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118348

This device is now unlocked to the point of development board status. After you finish this process, you will have the ability to destroy your device so make sure you flash CAREFULLY. Using only the files in this guide, there is no way to brick your device. Stay away from Odin once you've finished this process unless you're flashing back to stock.

TLDR version: Put your device into USB Debug Mode. Run CASUAL Injection 9. Flash the Suck It Verizon Bootloader with Odin3 If CASUAL calls you a Noob, flash the PIT and Bootloader Baseline package with Odin.

Introduction
The instructions have changed DRAMATICALLY since initial release. It's super simple. You are expected to be stock running I605VRALJB version of software. If you have modified your device using another procedure previous to this, undo it. This is where you start.

Prerequisites
any I605VRALJB stock bootloader and a stock ROM or a rooted stock ROM.

Downloads (in the order you need them)
The Pit File This is the stock i605VRALJB Pit file. It works to make your device partitions stock again. Flashing this will prepare your device for unlock.

The Bootloader Baseline package - Odin Package This is a stock I605VRALJB bootloader, params, kernel and recovery. Flashing this will prepare your device for unlock and relock your device in a safe manner. *This will reset your device if you screw up during the process so you can start over.

Odin3 is a tool from Samsung used to flash Odin packages.

CASUAL Suck It Verizon Injection 9 CASUAL stands for Cross-Platform ADB Scripting Universal Android Loader. In this case, it deploys the Suck It Verizon exploit. To use CASUAL you must enable "Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging" on your device. CASUAL is used as an automation tool so that you don’t have to use ADB, watch for results, upload files, download files, make decisions and enter commands. CASUAL will make those determinations for you. This guide is much shorter because of it. Source code for CASUAL can be found at http://android-casual.googlecode.com. The exploit was designed by Ralekdev, packaged, tested and made safe by AdamOutler. --DON'T MIRROR, this is in development.

Suck It Verizon Bootloader 2- Odin Package provides a bootloader which has been modified to ignore all security checks at the highest level possible. This firmware runs every time you turn on your device. The SBoot's job is to validate Download Mode flashes. It also validates and executes the kernel. This bootloader will not validate, only download and execute. It will also allow you to flash anything you like, including firmware packages which will destroy your device. This bootloader replacement is not only a Bootloader Unlock, this is an IROM Unlock... The lowest level unlock possible. The bootloader was developed by Ralekdev, conceptualized by Rebellos, tested and packaged with a Sprint GN2 TWRP Recovery by AdamOutler.

Instructions
If these instructions dont quite make sense, check out the video below.

• Part 1: Install the Baseline
    1. Launch Odin or click the "reset" button at the bottom if it's already open.
    2. Place the sch-i605-16gb.pit into the "PIT" section of Odin.
    3. Place BootloaderBaseline2.tar.md5.gz into the "Bootloader" section of Odin.
    4. Click Start
  • Part 2: Run the CASUAL Exploit
    1. Put your device into development mode. Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging
    2. You need Java installed to double-click or run with "java -jar path_to_file.jar" Do you have java?
    3. Click the "Root and Unlock Me Now!" button and accept( or continue) any notifications which may pop up on the phone or CASUAL.
    4. When prompted by the phone, press the Volume Up key then continue to Part 2.
  • Part3: Install Suck It Verizon Insecure Bootloader+Recovery
    1. Start Odin or click the "reset" button at the bottom if it's already open.
    2. Place SuckItVerizon_Odin_Package2.tar.md5.gz into the "Bootloader" section of Odin
    3. Click Start
You may now flash a custom ROM of your choice to your 100% IROM/Bootloader unlocked device. You are now Rooted and have the ability to install any CWM recovery zip with TWRP.

Video instructions

Troubleshooting Windows
Q. Why is CASUAL calling me a noob?
A. You need to Install the "Bootloader Baseline" with odin. We only support ONE bootloader, that's VRALJB.
  1. Put your device into Odin Mode by powering on with Volume Down and Home pressed.
  2. Put the BootloaderBaseline.tgz from above into the "Bootloader" section of Odin.
  3. Click Start.

Q. Why am I bootlooping or the device won't boot?
A. You flashed the wrong thing at the wrong time. Flash the bootloader baseline in Odin, then repeat the instructions above.

Q.Why isn't CASUAL working correctly
A. Try redownloading the latest CASUAL package. Also make sure you're running the latest version of Java.

Q.Why is Odin is failing to open or use the package?
A. The download was damaged. Redownload it.

Q.Other unexplained problems?
A.Try using the proper drivers.
1. Go to device manger right-click and uninstall on the device.
2. Go to add/remove programs, uninstall any driver packages.
3. Unplug your device
4. Install Samsung Kies http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

Q. How come CASUAL didn't start the first time?
A. Unplug and replug your device, or click CASUAL again and deal with both windows. This is a known issue. I cannot reproduce it in my development environment, it only happens on production compilations in JAR format and affects only Windows. If you'd like to submit a patch, you can get the source and I can add you as a contributor to http://android-casual.googlecode.com.

Q. Why won't CASUAL connect to the device?
A. If you've already installed the PROPER drivers, try disabling any firewalls. ADB uses a network connection to talk to your device. ADB is a network transparent protocol.

Q. I'm STILL having a problem.
A. Did you turn it off and then turn it back on again?

Troubleshooting Device
Q.Why does CASUAL fail to find a rooted device?
A. Check the SuperSU/Superuser Permissions app to verify that you have not inadvertently denied root access to shell.

Q. Why won't my phone start? why is it saying unauthorized software?
A. You unlocked, flashed something, then relocked. You need to flash back to stock VRALJB then repeat the unlock procedure. Use this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2040264

Pictures
Heres some pictures to show the newfound capabilities of your device.

TWRP Recovery
20121209_172402.JPG

CASUAL
20121209_180908.JPG

Verizon device running AT&T firmware
20121209_193925.JPG

Verizon device running International Firmware
20121209_190938.JPG

Download count of 63 from testing- Note, do not flash any i9300 ROMs.
20121209_002158.JPG

Conclusion
Congratulations, You're Unlocked. Your Galaxy Note 2 has gone from the most secure device on the market, to the least secure device publicly available. Your device will now accept any flash. Be careful and dont flash with Odin again. Stick to CWM zip packages so as to lower your risk.

Last edited:

Bern612

Aug 27, 2008
Thank you Adam. Really appreciate all your hard work

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

WishRyder

Feb 2, 2008
Waukee, IA
Well...2 hours to download the Revision3 file on our crappy work internet (but damned if I'm going to wait until I get home). At least I'll get to watch the successes/failures roll in in the meantime.

Also...you mention to stick to flashable zip packages. If I understand correctly, flashing through recovery will still run the typical recovery checks, but ODIN will not?

Last edited:

slickt10

Jun 23, 2008
  1. Is there any reason I can't use Heimdall?
  2. If we want to relock later, we can just flash a stock bootloader?
  3. I already have my system setup how I like it and would like to not have to overwrite it with Revision. Will CASUAL work anyways as long as I have the dependencies?

Thanks so much Adam and Team!

:good:

R3define

Sep 16, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm assuming that when running AT&T firmware/international firmware it won't recognize our VZW SIM correct? Awesome work though! Super excited about this. :)

blackbass595

Dec 9, 2008
I just wanna thank all of you for Guinea pigging this (so to speak). I'm gonna wait for droidstyles broke down step by step before i do this. Its probably not as bad as I'm making it out to be but I error to the side of caution.

Reactions: shojus

don juan's

Dec 2, 2012
Thanks to everybody involved! Cant wait, I might just leave work now

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This technique will not work if you have applied the OTA update from 18January2012. Go here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118348

This device is now unlocked to the point of development board status. After you finish this process, you will have the ability to destroy your device so make sure you flash CAREFULLY. Using only the files in this guide, there is no way to brick your device. Stay away from Odin once you've finished this process unless you're flashing back to stock.

TLDR version: Put your device into USB Debug Mode. Run CASUAL Injection 9. Flash the Suck It Verizon Bootloader with Odin3 If CASUAL calls you a Noob, flash the PIT and Bootloader Baseline package with Odin.

Introduction
    The instructions have changed DRAMATICALLY since initial release. It's super simple. You are expected to be stock running I605VRALJB version of software. If you have modified your device using another procedure previous to this, undo it. This is where you start.

Prerequisites
    any I605VRALJB stock bootloader and a stock ROM or a rooted stock ROM.

Downloads (in the order you need them)
    The Pit File This is the stock i605VRALJB Pit file. It works to make your device partitions stock again. Flashing this will prepare your device for unlock.

The Bootloader Baseline package - Odin Package This is a stock I605VRALJB bootloader, params, kernel and recovery. Flashing this will prepare your device for unlock and relock your device in a safe manner. *This will reset your device if you screw up during the process so you can start over.

Odin3 is a tool from Samsung used to flash Odin packages.

CASUAL Suck It Verizon Injection 9 CASUAL stands for Cross-Platform ADB Scripting Universal Android Loader. In this case, it deploys the Suck It Verizon exploit. To use CASUAL you must enable "Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging" on your device. CASUAL is used as an automation tool so that you don’t have to use ADB, watch for results, upload files, download files, make decisions and enter commands. CASUAL will make those determinations for you. This guide is much shorter because of it. Source code for CASUAL can be found at http://android-casual.googlecode.com. The exploit was designed by Ralekdev, packaged, tested and made safe by AdamOutler. --DON'T MIRROR, this is in development.

Suck It Verizon Bootloader 2- Odin Package provides a bootloader which has been modified to ignore all security checks at the highest level possible. This firmware runs every time you turn on your device. The SBoot's job is to validate Download Mode flashes. It also validates and executes the kernel. This bootloader will not validate, only download and execute. It will also allow you to flash anything you like, including firmware packages which will destroy your device. This bootloader replacement is not only a Bootloader Unlock, this is an IROM Unlock... The lowest level unlock possible. The bootloader was developed by Ralekdev, conceptualized by Rebellos, tested and packaged with a Sprint GN2 TWRP Recovery by AdamOutler.

Instructions
    If these instructions dont quite make sense, check out the video below.

• Part 1: Install the Baseline
      1. Launch Odin or click the "reset" button at the bottom if it's already open.
      2. Place the sch-i605-16gb.pit into the "PIT" section of Odin.
      3. Place BootloaderBaseline2.tar.md5.gz into the "Bootloader" section of Odin.
      4. Click Start
    • Part 2: Run the CASUAL Exploit
      1. Put your device into development mode. Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging
      2. You need Java installed to double-click or run with "java -jar path_to_file.jar" Do you have java?
      3. Click the "Root and Unlock Me Now!" button and accept( or continue) any notifications which may pop up on the phone or CASUAL.
      4. When prompted by the phone, press the Volume Up key then continue to Part 2.
    • Part3: Install Suck It Verizon Insecure Bootloader+Recovery
      1. Start Odin or click the "reset" button at the bottom if it's already open.
      2. Place SuckItVerizon_Odin_Package2.tar.md5.gz into the "Bootloader" section of Odin
      3. Click Start
    You may now flash a custom ROM of your choice to your 100% IROM/Bootloader unlocked device. You are now Rooted and have the ability to install any CWM recovery zip with TWRP.

Video instructions

Troubleshooting Windows
    Q. Why is CASUAL calling me a noob?
    A. You need to Install the "Bootloader Baseline" with odin. We only support ONE bootloader, that's VRALJB.
    1. Put your device into Odin Mode by powering on with Volume Down and Home pressed.
    2. Put the BootloaderBaseline.tgz from above into the "Bootloader" section of Odin.
    3. Click Start.

Q. Why am I bootlooping or the device won't boot?
    A. You flashed the wrong thing at the wrong time. Flash the bootloader baseline in Odin, then repeat the instructions above.

Q.Why isn't CASUAL working correctly
    A. Try redownloading the latest CASUAL package. Also make sure you're running the latest version of Java.

Q.Why is Odin is failing to open or use the package?
    A. The download was damaged. Redownload it.

Q.Other unexplained problems?
    A.Try using the proper drivers.
    1. Go to device manger right-click and uninstall on the device.
    2. Go to add/remove programs, uninstall any driver packages.
    3. Unplug your device
    4. Install Samsung Kies http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

Q. How come CASUAL didn't start the first time?
    A. Unplug and replug your device, or click CASUAL again and deal with both windows. This is a known issue. I cannot reproduce it in my development environment, it only happens on production compilations in JAR format and affects only Windows. If you'd like to submit a patch, you can get the source and I can add you as a contributor to http://android-casual.googlecode.com.

Q. Why won't CASUAL connect to the device?
    A. If you've already installed the PROPER drivers, try disabling any firewalls. ADB uses a network connection to talk to your device. ADB is a network transparent protocol.

Troubleshooting Device
    Q.Why does CASUAL fail to find a rooted device?
    A. Check the SuperSU/Superuser Permissions app to verify that you have not inadvertently denied root access to shell.

Q. Why won't my phone start? why is it saying unauthorized software?
    A. You unlocked, flashed something, then relocked. You need to flash back to stock VRALJB then repeat the unlock procedure. Use this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2040264

Pictures
    Heres some pictures to show the newfound capabilities of your device.

TWRP Recovery
    20121209_172402.JPG

CASUAL
    20121209_180908.JPG

Verizon device running AT&T firmware
    20121209_193925.JPG

Verizon device running International Firmware
    20121209_190938.JPG

Download count of 63 from testing- Note, do not flash any i9300 ROMs.
    20121209_002158.JPG

Conclusion
    Congratulations, You're Unlocked. Your Galaxy Note 2 has gone from the most secure device on the market, to the least secure device publicly available. Your device will now accept any flash. Be careful and dont flash with Odin again. Stick to CWM zip packages so as to lower your risk.
    Reserved for technical details
    Big updates

CASUAL Suck It Verizon RX8 - has been updated to handle Superuser, and those who have rooted using ExynosAbuse.
    SuckItVerizon Odin Package 2 - Updated to tar.md5.gz format for small file size and 100% consistancy
    Bootloader Baseline 2 - Updated to fully recover any problems caused by CASUAL if the flash was not performed correctly. Also updated to tar.md5.gz format for small file size and 100% consistancy.

I recommend downloading the new version as they are much more fault tolerant and more compatible than all previous versions of this unlock.
    Just picked up my phone this evening. Took me less than 5 minutes I think and I'm good to go! Thanks Adam! I also bumped the directions with a guide here and seemed helpful for people starting off rooted or completely stock. Here's the link: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...our-note-2-bootloader-let-thy-phone-free.html

I would appreciate it if you would remove that guide all together. However, at a minimum, at the top, put " I wrote this based on thr Official guide at XDA. see the official guide here with a link to XDA"

What you've done is:
    1. Taken credit for my teams months of work with Exynos
    2. Abstracted the directions to multiple places on the Internet
    3. Word-for-word plajurized my guide
    4. Made it impossible for me to update instructions so people will now come here after screwing up your guide, asking for help with it.
    5. Added a bunch of extra words
    6. Removed the video
    7. Added ABSOLUTELY NOTHING helpful.

On second though, I'm reporting that thread and requesting it be removed or reduced to a link.

Have a nice day.
    I did a massive overhaul of the guide. I'm recommending Beans ROM now and providing a bootloader baseline only.