What is your favourite Genre?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Dirk

May 11, 2009
uTDEUyf.png

The Movie Club rating system: (Thanks to LordManhattan)

- 10/10: Perfection
- 9/10: Top quality
- 8/10: High quality
- 7/10: Highly watchable
- 6/10: Watchable, but could've been better
- 5/10: Wasted time
- 4/10: Very bad
- 3/10: Re-evaluate your life
- 2/10: Burn the disc and never mention it again
- 1/10: Shoot the director and happily serve the time

Movie Resources:

- IMDb
- Rotten Tomatoes
- A.V Club
- Empire
- Filmspotting
- Film Junk

NO SPOILERS!

Please use
tags if you want to post Spoilers, which includes telling people that a movie has a plot twist at the end!

Last edited:

iynfynity

Sep 21, 2010
Finally, a thread about this. Can't remember the last movie I saw but there's an upcoming one called moneyball. You might want to check it out.

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
Milling around Milton Keynes
Bloodbath at the House of Death - very funny with Kenny Everett and Vincent Price, sort of in the English version of the Airplane/Police Squad style from the early 80's.

A New Hope on bluray aka "How that hack Lucas can screw things up even more". Seriously someone needs to buy the rights off him and remove the crap he's added, remake the prequels so they actually fit with the series, and make Timothy Zahn's trilogy as eps 7-9.

Danielle picked up a 6 film Bond box set on bluray from hmv today for the bargain price of £22 saving about £90! So we'll probably watch Dr No tonight.

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
To answer your q, xda is not a friends replacement... But a great place to find some. And if youre wondering how, go ask in the mafia thread...That's how things work around here.... It's called ot for a reason. If you don't like it you may just leave...

@dirk: man, that's a nice idea ;) I can't think right now of a movie, but will certainly post some later :D

...aes eht rednu
peed morf tneS

Please remove that youtube video from your signature, it's incredibly annoying and ridiculously large for a signature.

dexter93

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Please remove that youtube video from your signature, it's incredibly annoying and ridiculously large for a signature.

Awwww Mr Scots.... You'll never be happy with my sig, will ya? :p

I'm out of my home town atm and dont have access to pc.... Will change it on Monday though ;)
But why you don't like that video? It's better than original nyan :rolleyes: :p

...aes eht rednu
peed morf tneS

Dirk

May 11, 2009
Finally, a thread about this. Can't remember the last movie I saw but there's an upcoming one called moneyball. You might want to check it out.

Just had a look on IMDb. It's got my doppelganger, Brad Pitt, in it! :p I know i'll get slammed for this, but i've liked every film he's been in and i do actually rate him quite highly! *Dons flame proof suit

Bloodbath at the House of Death - very funny with Kenny Everett and Vincent Price, sort of in the English version of the Airplane/Police Squad style from the early 80's.

A New Hope on bluray aka "How that hack Lucas can screw things up even more". Seriously someone needs to buy the rights off him and remove the crap he's added, remake the prequels so they actually fit with the series, and make Timothy Zahn's trilogy as eps 7-9.

Danielle picked up a 6 film Bond box set on bluray from hmv today for the bargain price of £22 saving about £90! So we'll probably watch Dr No tonight.

I was watching the new BR Star Wars releases last week. There are scenes in A New Hope for instance, that are gritty and untouched, the way you'd expect an old print to look that then transition to a cleaned up, CGI enhanced frame and it's completely jarring! I'd like a BR release of the Theatrical versions myself.

At least the DTS audio is a good addition.

Show no restraint Dirk! He likes linkon park:eek:

Sent from my SilverBullet 'HTCDesireZ running CM7'

I saw them in concert so he gets a free pass for that :p

conantroutman

Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Dec 10, 2009
Awwww Mr Scots.... You'll never be happy with my sig, will ya? :p

I'm out of my home town atm and dont have access to pc.... Will change it on Monday though ;)
But why you don't like that video? It's better than original nyan :rolleyes: :p

...aes eht rednu
peed morf tneS

Removed it for you....
I iz in ur signaturez removin all ur utubez......

As for the movies, I would recommend "La Haine", "Zatoichi" and "The Lives Of Others" if you like a bit of subtitley goodness....

If not, go for some classics like "The Warriors" any of the Dirty Harry movies or the original "Assault on Precinct 13"....

Yeah you've seen em before but hey....

Looking forward to seeing "Troll Hunter" sometime, even though theres a pretty high chance of it being crap.. :confused:

Last edited:

Dirk

May 11, 2009
The lives of others looks good. Going to check it out..

I should probably add that as a massive movie fan i've probably seen most of what there is to see. At least among the better films anyway, although apart from some Guillermo Del Toro films i don't often do foreign language. City of God was awesome though, as was Das Boot.

I've done the IMDb top 250 as it stands now, which is where i've always gone for inspiration before:

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

I think the industry is lacking in truly visionary directors these days. Once Scorsese hangs up his hat we'll have none of the old greats left! :(

http://xdaforums.com/post_thanks.ph...6770-92a450d4bdae66f8dce6270c136177c7d983529b

Last edited:

Dirk

May 11, 2009
I need to rewatch Warriors, also V for vandetta

My Natalie Portman fetish aside, V for Vendetta is a good film!

Gonna watch "Evil Things" now. Doesn't look like something original or any good, but meh.. i'll watch it.

If you can source this, it has a great ending: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124198/

The name 'Evil Things' made me think of it.

Edit: Just seen a trailer for 'Killer Elite'. Probably nothing more that a good action flick, but look at the cast: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1448755/

Yvonne Strahovski, (the butt-kicking blonde in 'Chuck'), oh and Robert De Niro, Clive Owen and Jason Statham. :eek:

Last edited:

Dirk

May 11, 2009
One of my favourites of the modern era is on C4 (UK) right now!

The Departed 9.5/10

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
Milling around Milton Keynes
Dr No was fantastic, so well remastered it looked like a film made a few years ago set in the 60's rather than a film actually made in the 60's.

I know you shouldn't have cheese before bedtime, but we're now watching Roger Moore in Live and Let Die (mmmmmm Jane Seymour *rubs thighs*), again it looks fantastic in HD.

Dirk

May 11, 2009
Dr No was fantastic, so well remastered it looked like a film made a few years ago set in the 60's rather than a film actually made in the 60's.

I know you shouldn't have cheese before bedtime, but we're now watching Roger Moore in Live and Let Die (mmmmmm Jane Seymour *rubs thighs*), again it looks fantastic in HD.

James Bond in HD. Hmm, sounds interesting! Cheese aside, they had their moments...not to mention the likes of Britt Eckland and, as you mentioned, Jane Fonda. The only movies that had a better collection of lead female stars were Hitchcocks own films!

Anybody seen Moon? One of my favorite.

I liked it. Films like that with atmosphere, (pardon the pun), and subtlety are few and far between these days. Reminds me of Kubricks classic, 2001 A Space Odyssey. (Although not as monumental). Another pun...sorry :D

2001monolith.jpg

Ok, it's a monolith, but monument is close enough!

Last edited:

Dirk

May 11, 2009
Jane Fonda? Never a Bond girl, but now you've got me thinking of Barbarella....

Lol, Seymour....but now i'm thinking about Barbarella too! :eek:

Be back in five minutes.. :D

Hitchcocks leading ladies were the best though. BRB...

Repost:

classic.png

A couple of those never featured, but should have!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    uTDEUyf.png

The Movie Club rating system: (Thanks to LordManhattan)

- 10/10: Perfection
    - 9/10: Top quality
    - 8/10: High quality
    - 7/10: Highly watchable
    - 6/10: Watchable, but could've been better
    - 5/10: Wasted time
    - 4/10: Very bad
    - 3/10: Re-evaluate your life
    - 2/10: Burn the disc and never mention it again
    - 1/10: Shoot the director and happily serve the time

Movie Resources:

- IMDb
    - Rotten Tomatoes
    - A.V Club
    - Empire
    - Filmspotting
    - Film Junk

NO SPOILERS!

Please use
    tags if you want to post Spoilers, which includes telling people that a movie has a plot twist at the end!
    Here's me eating a scuba diver :D

a6bf8975-08cf-9a8d.jpg

Sent from my coffee pot.
    Some of you may have heard of the IMDb Top 250 Challenge, whereby you watch every movie on the list within a year. I've decided to do something similar, as a way to ensure that i am amply entertained over the coming months. I'm pretty certain i've seen most of what is on the list at present, but it'll be fun to watch the movies that i haven't, but should have seen. So that's what i am going to do!

To make it easier i've Excel'ed the list and printed a copy to make it easy ticking off the movies as i go. First i have to go through the list and mark off the ones i've already seen, and find out how many there are yet to see.

I've attached the list in case anybody else wants to make use of it.

Edit: Been having a play at the IMDb quiz's found on the Top 250 Page. They're pretty good fun!

So is drug resistant Tuberculosis but i'm in no hurry to catch it!