OS Update

Search This thread
Aug 19, 2013
Just wanted to let y'all know, that the new Software Update v1.3 has been released (and wanted to keep the 'technical details' thread clean..)! Here is the mail you should have received.

Changelog:

The latest Fairphone OS version is 1.3, named Chestnut (released in May 2014).
We're delivering a larger collection of bug fixes - including initial software development work of version 1.2 Release Candidate - to bring these updates in this combined version 1.3.

This software update version 1.3 should address the following:

• Camera app fixes and optimizations.
  • Phone crashes and reboots. This includes issues with the volume button/key, widgets and mood background on the lockscreen, and the People app.
  • Adding more European languages to the operating system language (eg, Finnish, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian).
  • Proximity sensor timing improved (i.e., to minimize response time of screen when moving the phone away from your ear).
  • Maintenance to prevent some internal storage notifications.
  • Messaging app fixes (e.g., crashing in Dutch fixed).
  • Optimized settings for some Bluetooth profiles (e.g., HID).
  • Further fixes on National Roaming notification.
  • Removed notification from missing SIM card.
  • Some Dutch and German translations corrected.
  • Fixed number parsing (no default to Chinese numbers).
  • Improved audio settings.
  • Optimized default volume settings for headset and speaker.
  • Removed (most) Video Calling option on Phone and People app.

*Regarding questions on internal storage partitioning, we are finalizing proper storage partitioning to prevent
separating app from data storage (to unify this storage). We are currently working on fixing last remaining issues and
getting the updating mechanism ready for users. We will add a Support Q&A to our website once we have more information to share.
Source

Follow these steps if the update does not appear on your phone (seems like it will still take a while to appear - these steps do not work for me either).

---

A short question for my part: as it is mentioned in the mail (see first link) one will have to re-install the App-Store.

Does one lose any other of the installed stuff? What about the backupping? Is the pre-installed app working fine or can someone recommend anything else based on her/his experience?

Last edited:

Vinnl

Jan 13, 2014
Does one lose any other of the installed stuff? What about the backupping? Is the pre-installed app working fine or can someone recommend anything else based on her/his experience?

I just upgraded, and although I had to try pushing the Upgrade button a few times before it would actually work, everything right now seems to be working as is and nothing else seems to have become lost. I hadn't backed up anything, mainly because I hadn't thought of it - it would, in fact, have been wise. I do indeed no longer get the empty sim notification for sim slot 2, which is nice. Tweaks such as GravityBox and Xprivacy still seem to work just fine.

Last edited:

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
Hey everybody,

I have a small problem. After reinstalling the Google apps by widget I removed Thema not used apps and tools. G+, bookmark syncing....

Now Threema using GCM doesn't work anymore.
Is it possible to reset the widget to install the apps really easy?

Otherwise dies someone has the zip to install it manually?

Sent from my FP1 using XDA Free mobile app

9x6

Jan 30, 2014
Two issues that I did run into after a manual install from 1.2 rc1:
  • After reinstalling google apps, I needed to clear the data for Google Play Store before installing apps via the play store webpages on an other device (e.g. desktop PC) would work.
  • My device is currently not listed in android device manager (for tracking / remote wipe / etc), but is was showing up before the update. I'm hoping this is just a matter of waiting a little bit. (ADM is still listed as device admin, toggling this off and on again hasn't appeared to help). Edit: This problem was also reported and solved for the previous update here.

Last edited:

haiag

Sep 23, 2013

simsalonaut

Oct 19, 2013
Heidelberg
Yeah almost. Did you do these in the last days or before?

This was done on Stock Android (AOSP) 1.0, as described here. So even though I think the result would be the same, you could just repeat this procedure on your Fairphone OS 1.3 in order to create a flashable zip-file.

I've been using AOSP since day one, and never had any of the described glitches or crashes, so I won't start using it now :)
But in a week or two, I'll start nagging Fairphone again about AOSP updates, since it would be great to get at least the camera tint fixed.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: haiag

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
Yeah I would like to do this, but my widget just shows me right now, that I installed them already.

Has someone else an idea how to reset the widget?
I tried to delete the data of the widget and got to fairphone OS app site, bit deleting data there only deleted my home screen....

JYPDWhite

Apr 8, 2012
Did anyone updated his fairphone who changed the size of the data partition? And should I deactivate the xposed framework before updating?

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
This was done on Stock Android (AOSP) 1.0, as described here. So even though I think the result would be the same, you could just repeat this procedure on your Fairphone OS 1.3 in order to create a flashable zip-file.

I've been using AOSP since day one, and never had any of the described glitches or crashes, so I won't start using it now :)
But in a week or two, I'll start nagging Fairphone again about AOSP updates, since it would be great to get at least the camera tint fixed.

Hope this helps!

I did this now and got a bigger .zip than you have/had.
Here are the Fairphone Google Apps 16.05.2014
I tried it with your old ones, but in the new one, there are some more components.

You can do the update without diasbling the XPosed Framework, it will be deactivated automatic.

Last edited:
Reactions: simsalonaut

killersky4

Jan 18, 2014
I can not update my phone to v1.3

Screenshot_2014-05-15-18-23-34.png

The download starts and immediately disappears when I press the button, I do not know why ...
What can I do ?

Last edited:

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
Reactions: killersky4

simsalonaut

Oct 19, 2013
Heidelberg
I tried it with your old ones, but in the new one, there are some more components.
Yeah, the only new files are regarding the updated keyboard:
Code:
/system/app/GoogleKeyboard.apk 
/system/lib/libjni_latinimegoogle.so
All other data of the two zip-files is identical. Time for me to start *****ing and whining about the lack of AOSP updates! :D

Donat.Callens

Jul 26, 2013
Xiaomi Mi 9
Did anyone updated his fairphone who changed the size of the data partition? And should I deactivate the xposed framework before updating?
I have extended my partition before the update. As it comes with a simple zip file, you will not have changes to the current partition configuration.
As per Xposed, you will have to reinstall it afterwards anyway. No need to disable it.
The only recommendation would be to make a valid clockworkmod backup before the installation. The default fairphone recovery does not handle repartitioned phones well in my experience.
You will even be able to use the backup to restore only the applications you need with the tool Nandroid Manager * ROOT.

boondiordna

Jan 23, 2014
Problems after updating: Keyboard completely gone?

Hi everybody,

haven't been around for some time, quite busy ATM.

I updated to 1.3 Chestnut, and had the AOSP keyboard problem (crashes). Then, I tried to be smart and shot meself in the foot: I used titanium backup to restore the keyboard. As the app reported that the installation did not, erm, install, I tried to remove the keyboard app. Which also apparently did not work. I thought to postpone everything and turned the phone off.

Now, the keyboard seems completely gone, and I can't unlock my phone. Instead, it shows the red microphone button and tells me to "Speak now".

To sum up:
* I can't unlock the phone because the keyboard is gone, and fallback seems to be voice recognition.
* I can't re-install GApps using the widget, because I can't unlock the phone.
* I can't access phone storage or sd card because the phone is locked, and USB is set to media mode (or whatever it's called).
* I can't access the SD card because I'm using Windows on my desktop, and Win7 does want to format my sd card because it has a non-compatible file system.

Any ideas?

Oh, btw: de-crypting the phone works. I've got a keyboard there.

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
Do you have access to another SD card?

So install the update manually again and the keyboard should be back again.

The data were still there, when I did it.

9x6

Jan 30, 2014
I've applied the update manually by rebooting into recovery mode (hold power + volume up) and then selecting the option to send an update via ADB. I'm not sure whether you need to have USB debugging enabled first for this to work from recovery, but it may be worth a try if the SD card approach doesn't work out.

Hyst

Sep 11, 2012
Since @benxda was asking for some feedback on the new update, here is mine.

I had the 1.2RC installed before. So I was not able to get the OTA update. Anyway, I decided to repartition my phone first, then install the update (I did not repartition it before... so space was getting low). Everything worked fine and now I have chestnut on my phone with a bigger data partition. yay!

Anyhow, I am still hoping for a bluetooth fix. Unfortunatly "Optimized settings for some Bluetooth profiles (e.g., HID)" did not solve my bluetooth pairing problem with my car. But I did not really expect it since @joemier stated somewhere that the bluetooth stack problem will not be fixed with 1.3. Anyhow I still tried.

Bluetooth is my main issue, and from where I am standing, I do not really get why it is not fixed,yet. I saw it fixed in various jelly bean custom roms. So why not ask the people who already did it how they did it. One example for this might be found here. If I remember correctly he fixed that in alpha6 or something. But on the other hand I am no android developer and from my perspective this might look easier than it is.
So I guess my questions for Fairphone would be:
  • Are you still working on the bluetooth issue? what are the plans on fixing it (or rather how do you want to tackle it)?
  • what priority does it have?

On a closing note, I feel the same way as @MarcoToo in his post. That people either moved on, or just don't care anymore. Sounds a bit cynical maybe, but I think that's how it is at the moment. And I must admit that I thought about buying a new phone with similar specs and more custom rom action going on. like the galaxy s4 mini. But it is really hard for me to get rid of a phone which I used for only a few month. But one of the major reasons why I bought this phone does not apply anymore (hackability).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since @benxda was asking for some feedback on the new update, here is mine.

I had the 1.2RC installed before. So I was not able to get the OTA update. Anyway, I decided to repartition my phone first, then install the update (I did not repartition it before... so space was getting low). Everything worked fine and now I have chestnut on my phone with a bigger data partition. yay!

Anyhow, I am still hoping for a bluetooth fix. Unfortunatly "Optimized settings for some Bluetooth profiles (e.g., HID)" did not solve my bluetooth pairing problem with my car. But I did not really expect it since @joemier stated somewhere that the bluetooth stack problem will not be fixed with 1.3. Anyhow I still tried.

Bluetooth is my main issue, and from where I am standing, I do not really get why it is not fixed,yet. I saw it fixed in various jelly bean custom roms. So why not ask the people who already did it how they did it. One example for this might be found here. If I remember correctly he fixed that in alpha6 or something. But on the other hand I am no android developer and from my perspective this might look easier than it is.
    So I guess my questions for Fairphone would be:
    • Are you still working on the bluetooth issue? what are the plans on fixing it (or rather how do you want to tackle it)?
    • what priority does it have?

On a closing note, I feel the same way as @MarcoToo in his post. That people either moved on, or just don't care anymore. Sounds a bit cynical maybe, but I think that's how it is at the moment. And I must admit that I thought about buying a new phone with similar specs and more custom rom action going on. like the galaxy s4 mini. But it is really hard for me to get rid of a phone which I used for only a few month. But one of the major reasons why I bought this phone does not apply anymore (hackability).
    Otherwise dies someone has the zip to install it manually?

Is this what you are looking for? https://www.dropbox.com/s/shb7j77hvf3uto4/googleapps.zip It's the flashable Google Apps I extracted from the original widget.

Yeah almost. Did you do these in the last days or before?

Hope this helps!
    yes, no problem with the partitions

Sent from my FP1 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Hope this helps!

I did this now and got a bigger .zip than you have/had.

You can do the update without diasbling the XPosed Framework, it will be deactivated automatic.