Search This thread

j_r0dd

Jun 9, 2009
Last house on the block
I wish this would fix me issue because I am tired of sending it back to htc for an issue they are not fixing. My screen responsiveness was fine until I sent it in to HTC because I had dust under the screen. Mine came back from them with this unresponsive issue. I sent it back to them to fix this after I tried the foil method. I just didn't want to risk doing any hardware damage. I received it yesterday and the issue is exactly the same. My touches intermittently don't get registered on the screen and the menu & search capacative buttons hardly ever respond. Really I don't even want to send to HTC to repair. I want a completely different phone. HTC's quality control is absolute ****. It's too bad because this is supposed to be one of their flagship models. I am at a complete loss here. HTC can't even fix their own devices.

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
well, i used to get this issue sporadically with the stock ROM. Ever since I moved on to custom ROMs it's gone for good...go figure.
You didn't really have this issue than. Lucky :)

I wish this would fix me issue because I am tired of sending it back to htc for an issue they are not fixing. My screen responsiveness was fine until I sent it in to HTC because I had dust under the screen. Mine came back from them with this unresponsive issue. I sent it back to them to fix this after I tried the foil method. I just didn't want to risk doing any hardware damage. I received it yesterday and the issue is exactly the same. My touches intermittently don't get registered on the screen and the menu & search capacative buttons hardly ever respond. Really I don't even want to send to HTC to repair. I want a completely different phone. HTC's quality control is absolute ****. It's too bad because this is supposed to be one of their flagship models. I am at a complete loss here. HTC can't even fix their own devices.
You are right about the quality control. Or quality in general...
So the fix didn't work for you? Maybe try again and be more patient... Or get A SGS2, that seems to be a popular solution :)

thasp

Jul 14, 2011
I never had this issue.

I cracked my digitzer, and didn't have the issue.

I changed my digitizer with one that says HTC in the center. It doesn't say T-Mobile.

This problem rears its head no matter what solutions I try.

I am getting a few more digitizers tomorrow. Putting the cracked one in(dug through nasty trash to do this) results in a perfectly working phone.

What sucks is having a $500 doormat in the case that there are no aftermarket or original digitizers available that allow the phone to be usable.

mariohu

Oct 7, 2011
Excelent post about touchscreen issue (found through gugl).
My phone is HTC Desire and I have the exactly same problem.
My questions are:
1- Do you have any idea where the "Silver pin" is located in HTC Desire?
2- Is it possible that that the location of this "silver pin" could be de same as in HTC Sensation?
3- Would I damage my phone if I put a "small piece of aluminium foil" in a "wrong silver pin"? For example, the HTC Desire actually has a screw or bolt in the place where the HTC Sensation has the "silver pin", and I guess that is a candidate place to put the foil.
Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
My questions are:
2- Is it possible that that the location of this "silver pin" could be de same as in HTC Sensation?
3- Would I damage my phone if I put a "small piece of aluminium foil" in a "wrong silver pin"? For example, the HTC Desire actually has a screw or bolt in the place where the HTC Sensation has the "silver pin", and I guess that is a candidate place to put the foil.
I'm guessing you have something like this? I don't know what app the guy in the vid is using. If you want, perhaps you could try this one, or something similar.

Anyway, since I don't have a Desire I can't be sure, but from this pic it would seem there is no grounding pin. Also, there is no "square" on the back cover which would indicate a grounding point.
So... It could be grounded trough the sim/memory card slot? I don't see any other metal bit that could do it... See if you have problems when you touch just those points. Or any other point that you think would work.
It could be that it's not grounded through the back cover at all :\

So, to answer your third question, I doubt you will damage anything, but that doesn't mean you should cover your whole phone in foil :)

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
I have a Desire, and never had or heard of touchscreen problem.... Something else is wrong in your case,I'm quite sure.
My questions are:

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

claud_face

Apr 27, 2010
idk if this is related but my phone never had this issue until today.

Thing is yesterday I was working and left it in sun streaming music for couple hours.

My fault and I deserve it but now I have lock screen and touch screen issues.

At first I thought was the rom but switched couple and same thing.

I guess maybe it heated up so much that it messed something inside.

Im so mad that i left it outside wtf was i thinking, I tried these solutions but its obviously gotta do something with over heating or something.

Anyone have ne ideas?

mariohu

Oct 7, 2011
Thank you guys for your responses, all of them were helpful.
I do not want to bother you nor the forum because this thread belongs to Sensation not to Desire,
but given that the synthoms are similar to both models, and acknowledging your patience, I will clarify some facts only "for the record" for all of those who are having/will have similar trouble (hope not).

at zmfl:
The problem is more like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlNArVn7otA , except that I can not unlock the phone because the phone does not even recognize any touch.
The phone is not rooted, uses original parts (battery, memory, etc), not dropped, never get wet, bought in december last year.
After a randomly period of time, the touch screen starts working normally, responding fast to all touches -even multi-touch- in all the screen surface as if nothing had happened, and suddenly the screen back againg does not response to any touch.

I have tried what you suggest, touching sim/memory card slot area, and the screen starts recognizing touches... for a while and then back again. Also the problem usually disappear when I remove the battery for a night or more.

I guess it is the same problem that Sensation's: "some extra charge is not getting the ground", but I am not sure.

at tinky1:
The htc desire forum in http://xdaforums.com has various post like this one http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=895625&highlight=touch+screen.
I have already done factory reset and sometimes the problem disappear... and then backup again.
I have read that the htc support people is aware of this as "the screen issue" and offer you a replacement for another phone.
The problem is that these days I am working far away from an authorized support center to get a replacement.

I agree with you that something is wrong, buy it is so wierd and random that it is hard for me to find a pattern of behaviour about the problem.

at claud_face:
I have not run through your situation. I would recommend you to go to authorized service.

I will keep searching. Whatever I find, I would post it.
Thank you very much for your time. The community spirit is powerful.

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
^^^^^^Looks like its related to infamous motherboard issue. Do you get random reboots under stress by the chance? I had my mobo changed.

akusuma

Oct 9, 2011
Opposite grounding problem ?

I am having the same symptoms, I am unable to use 4 main button below the touch screen, but i am able to use the touchscreen fine. This happen 1-2 weeks ago, since I purchased it last June.

I tried one of the solution by lifting the silver pin and additional aluminium foil but it still did not worked, until I realized it was the opposite!!

Testing the same test as the youtube video.
If I put the HTC Sensation on the table, and touch the 4 button, it works.
But as soon as I touch the body and touch the 4 button, it did not worked!

I tried to isolate the grounding (literally with a cellotape), it still the same!
I think it is because there are still other golden pin that connects the body

I've factory reset, and tried different ROM. And even do a key test on the recovery mode. I conclude this is a hardware issue, and this grounding might be the issue.

For now, what i see as a workaround is to make sure that I did not touch the body when I use the button, by using a case (which I dont have yet)

I might add pics and vids later

claud_face

Apr 27, 2010
Ok I definetly have problem with the unlocking. Besides that thoug once it unlocks its perfect . Zero problems.

Sometimes it unlocks just fine and as if there were zero issues.

Such an annoying little problem.

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
@claud_face:
That's how the issues start usualy - with the lock screen. You could try what I wrote in the first post:

1. Discharge the phone all the way (until it shuts down).
2. Remove the battery and press the power button (as if you were trying to turn the phone on).
3. Leave the phone without the battery overnight (or for at least an hour).
4. Put the battery back and charge the phone without touching the screen.
Then do not touch the screen while charging for the next couple of days. And also, pull the pin out a bit more before doing any of this :)
If it goes away, there you go. If not, you messed up something else...

@akusuma:
The only thing I can suggest is the same thing I just suggested to claud_face. Doing that discharges the static and might help :)

Reactions: claud_face

claud_face

Apr 27, 2010
Ok so if my problem is the static thing are you saying this is a hundred percent garanteed method???

Why would some people have this and others wouldn't?

Besides the grounding pin which makes sense but did.t help in my case.

Thanks.

@claud_face:
That's how the issues start usualy - with the lock screen. You could try what I wrote in the first post:

Then do not touch the screen while charging for the next couple of days. And also, pull the pin out a bit more before doing any of this :)
If it goes away, there you go. If not, you messed up something else...

@akusuma:
The only thing I can suggest is the same thing I just suggested to claud_face. Doing that discharges the static and might help :)

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
I agree with you that something is wrong, but it is so wierd and random that it is hard for me to find a pattern of behaviour about the problem.
That's usualy how it goes :rolleyes:
I know I'm repeating myself, but to know for sure if you have static electricity (grounding) issues you should do the same thing I suggested above. If the problem goes away you can start looking for a way to ground your phone.
If not, you might have a faulty motherboard, like tinky1 suggested. It does seem Desires in general (including Desires S and Z) have a really touchy motherboard :|

Ok so if my problem is the static thing are you saying this is a hundred percent garanteed method???

Why would some people have this and others wouldn't?
I'd say 99% :)
The method I posted is a modified version of what we what we came up with in tinky1's thread quite a while ago. That's the method most of us used before we found the silver pin.

So, if you do it properly (repeated charging with NO TOUCHING :)), the issue will go away. If it doesn't, the sun fried something...

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Yup, using it myself and other users reported success. The process discharges static but DOESN'T fix the cause.
Read op and last 5ish pages of my thread.

claud_face

Apr 27, 2010
thanks guys,

I will do the steps and let you guys know if problem went away.

When Im recharging does it matter if phone is on?

And when u say not to touch screen could I touch the case?

Like I should unplug from charger adn then I could touch as much as I want right?

Thanks alot guys.

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Doesn't matter if it's on or off, try not to touch it while on charge unless you have to. Then touch as much as you want. Problem might not disappear right away, 2 or 3 cycles might be needed. Good luck.
thanks guys,

Like I should unplug from charger adn then I could touch as much as I want right?

Thanks alot guys.

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
thanks guys,

Thanks alot guys.
Yes, it can be on, and yes, you can touch the case. Once unplugged you can use it normally :)

edit:
tinky was a minute faster :p

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread provides a simple solution to a rather serious screen unresponsiveness problem. The problem can manifest in some of the following ways: it takes more than one attempt to move the lock ring, not every press is registered when typing, buttons at the bottom of the screen don't always work, you can't get the carousel spinning, hectic touch issues while charging, etc. Many Sensations have this problem to some degree, and it has been reported on other phone models. Other phones can't be fixed using this method, but you could try the discharge process described under the fix.

UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE FIRST

Before proceeding with any hardware "manipulation" I recommend you try the latest firmware. If you are running a stock ROM simply update your phone's software, and if you are on a custom pre-ICS ROM the update can be found here.
    If the issues persist, keep reading.

IMPORTANT

You have to realise this fix does not solve the issue for everyone. So just to be clear, THIS DOES NOT SOLVE THE ISSUE FOR EVERYONE. The reason for this is simple - not everybody has the same issue. My opinion is that these issues have similar symptoms, but the causes are different. Similar issues could be caused by: a faulty charger, bad digitizer or SD card slot touching the cover.

The issue discussed here is related to a small silver pin located at the back of the phone (pictures below). That pin is the screen's "grounding" connection to the back cover. In time the pin loses proper contact to the cover and the screen becomes unresponsive. There is also a matter of static build-up which further complicates matters. I believe this is mostly down to the worst back cover in the known universe.
    You could get this problem for no particular reason, but you might also experience it after dropping the phone, sneezing too hard, or when using an aftermarket battery (Anker, Chichitec, etc.) since they are usually thicker. If you have issues only while charging try a different charger. If you still have issues, this fix should help.

Note that there is more than one way to fix the issue, and that the results are not always instantaneous. The simplest fix is pulling the aforementioned pin outwards. The downside is the pin might bend back into its original position... So you could try applying one of the alternative solutions as an addition to pulling the pin.

Also, I am not responsible for your actions. If you damage your phone, it's on you.

CREDITS

What I'm doing here is sorting useful info and adding creative advice, I am not the one responsible for the actual solution. It's primarily tinky1, who started the first thread on the issue, where most debating and solving was performed. Then, misiek_to_ja (and his daughter :)) noticed that using the phone without the back cover temporarily solves the problem. This meant the problem was beneath the back plate, which abrown0809 proved by pointing us to the grounding pin that everybody was somehow missing for two months. What followed were aluminium foil and soldering tricks that eliteone thought of. stuart0001 started a petition, but HTC ignored it. Andyjb103 pointed out that the firmware update can fix the issue in some cases. And there is of course everyone from tinky1's thread that went through loads of pain and suffering while testing different chargers, wall sockets, USB plugs, area codes, weather conditions, etc. A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE!
    Now then...

THE FIX

First, the simplest way to fix the issue. Switch the phone off, remove the back cover and locate the silver pin shown in this picture.

1.jpg

Now pull it out a bit, like so:

2.jpg

Use a needle, a tiny screwdriver, or anything with a pointy end. Just be careful and don't pull too hard or too much. The side of the pin that is closer to the edge of the phone is the side you want do the most pulling to.

And that's it as far as the pin goes! Results could be instant, but there is still a chance you'll need to do a couple of things:

1. Discharge the phone all the way (until it shuts down).
    2. Remove the battery and press the power button (as if you were trying to turn the phone on).
    3. Leave the phone without the battery overnight (or for at least an hour).
    4. Put the battery back and charge the phone without touching the screen.

Make sure you don't touch the screen whenever you're charging, until the issue disappears. This should happen within 2-3 days. If the problem persists, you ether did something wrong, or (as explained above) you have a different issue... Most common related problem is a faulty digitizer.

If the issue does go away you could make sure it stays that way by applying one of the alternatives as well.

ALTERNATIVES

See this small white square on the inside of the back cover?

3.jpg

That's where the silver pin makes contact to the cover. By pulling the pin out you insure better contact to that square. There are plenty of ways to further improve that contact.
    Here is a few:

1. Take a small piece of aluminium foil (2cm by 2cm, or whatever works for you), fold it a few times and put it over the square (like this). Now carefully put the phone into the cover and make sure the foil doesn't move away from the square. If you want to keep the foil in place add a drop of superglue (just not directly on the square).

2. Alternatively, the foil could go directly on the pin. Stuart0001 made a picture of that here. This version is a bit more risky though.

3. Adding any sort of aluminium works (or any conductor for that matter). Take a look at what Oceanic72 did here.

4. Put a few drops of solder onto the square. And be careful with this one... Or just skip it if you've never soldered before. More on that in eliteone's post here.

5. Put some electrically conductive paint on the square. Michael_Mcr suggested that here.

There you go :)
    If any of these solutions solve your problems but they come back, just try again. I do not recommend puling on the pin more than a few times though...

Hope I helped!
    May I just add, that the soldering method, while good and permanent is not for noobs that have never soldered before. In order for solder to properly fuse with aluminum you have to prep the aluminum first. If you don't the solder will just fall off. And keep your iron JUST HOT ENOUGH to melt the solder, if your iron is too hot you risk warping the aluminum your soldering to. But all that being said if your good with an iron, its the most permanent and effective way of getting true contact with your grounding pin. If anybody wants I can do a quick video tut and post it here, just not for a few days...... Got a new baby joining the family tomorrow :D so life will be pretty hectic round here ;)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium
    I don't have these problems, but thanking anyway :) I hope this solves the problem for most people

Swyped from my HTC Sensation
    OP updated.

And congrats to eliteone again!
    First off, I am not the one responsible for the solution. It's primarily tinky1, who started the first thread on the issue, where most debating and solving was, and still is, performed. Then, abrown0809 pointed us to the grounding pin that everybody was somehow missing for two months. What followed were aluminium foil and soldering tricks that eliteone thought of. Also, stuart0001 started a petition that I hope HTC noticed... THANK YOU ALL :)
    I might have missed somebody important... Sorry, I am dealing with a lot of info these couple of days... There is of course everyone from tinky1's thread that went through loads of pain and suffering while testing every possible solution and fix. Myself included :)

Well, I (or more my daughter) will take the credit as well. If I would not discover the fix with taking off the back cover it would not point all of you to grounding pin :)

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16858697&postcount=917