Why HK users have so many issues after upgrading to ICS?

Search This thread

hajime_android

Apr 22, 2012
Hello, I have been waiting for Samsung HK to release the ICS before purchase. Within a day after the release, lots of users in HK have complained several issues. I tried a Galaxy Note with ICS in a local store, the response of that device was like 50% slower than that before the upgrade. How come even the hardware is the same, some users have more problems than the others (with respect to locally and globally)?

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
Probably because those ppl upgrading didn't wipe after the ICS upgrade.

When I tried out the LPY rom without wiping, it did really feel like everything was noticeably slower.

Wiping sorted out the performance issue for me. Of course, Samsung should really ensure that users don't really have to wipe to get peak performance post upgrade to ICS..

Sent from Galaxy Note

Reactions: hajime_android

friedje

Oct 29, 2006
Chartres

When I tried out the LPY rom without wiping, it did really feel like everything was noticeably slower.

Wiping sorted out the performance issue for me. Of course, Samsung should really ensure that users don't really have to wipe to get peak performance post upgrade to ICS..

Sent from Galaxy Note

Just keep going on and tell ppl to wipe with the buggy ics kernels..........
Samsung might send you medal of honour for that..:D

hajime_android

Apr 22, 2012
I read that they have the following problems. At this stage, do you recommend buying the Note only if it has ICS pre-installed or wait until Samsung HK has fixed the bugs? (Not sure if the Note with ICS pre-installed has these problems.) Why Samsung does not release the same ICS to different countries?

- "Google Map always force close during the time of GPS location "

- Cannot receive signals from routers of 5GHz

- Front camera changed from 2M pixels to 1.3 M pixels

- Very slow response over all. (My experience is about 50% drop in speed overall.)

- Poor battery performance

- High RAM usage

- Becomes very hot easily

- GPS disappeared (not sure as I don't read Chinese well).

- Some kind of mess up with music files (not sure as I don't read Chinese well).

Last edited:
B

baz77

Sent from Galaxy Note

Like dude above said, wiping throught cwm or even stock wipe/factory reset on any ics, except cm9 is not safe. It can brick your phone.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

hajime_android

Apr 22, 2012
I often read the word "brick" in forums related to Android phones. Is that the same as breaking the phone into an useless state?

B

baz77

I often read the word "brick" in forums related to Android phones. Is that the same as breaking the phone into an useless state?

A brick is a building stone for your house, slang for unusable. In case of ics it can render broken mmc chip, thus making it nearly impossible to fix for ordinairy consumers.

You have softbricks and hard bricks. In case of ics chance of hard brick is higher :)

lukeinchina

May 12, 2012
Shanghai / 上海
I read that they have the following problems. At this stage, do you recommend buying the Note only if it has ICS pre-installed or wait until Samsung HK has fixed the bugs? (Not sure if the Note with ICS pre-installed has these problems.) Why Samsung does not release the same ICS to different countries?

- "Google Map always force close during the time of GPS location "

- Cannot receive signals from routers of 5GHz

- Front camera changed from 2M pixels to 1.3 M pixels

- Very slow response over all. (My experience is about 50% drop in speed overall.)

- Poor battery performance

- High RAM usage

- Becomes very hot easily

- GPS disappeared (not sure as I don't read Chinese well).

- Some kind of mess up with music files (not sure as I don't read Chinese well).

Just from my personal experience, I haven't noticed any of that even though I installed ICS without wiping/factory reset. My Note is no slower since upgrading from GB, it gets no hotter, GPS still works with Google Maps, the battery lasts the same as it did on GB, the RAM usage is no higher, the front camera looks exactly the same in Skype, and my music works just the same as it did before.

hajime_android

Apr 22, 2012
Just from my personal experience, I haven't noticed any of that even though I installed ICS without wiping/factory reset. My Note is no slower since upgrading from GB, it gets no hotter, GPS still works with Google Maps, the battery lasts the same as it did on GB, the RAM usage is no higher, the front camera looks exactly the same in Skype, and my music works just the same as it did before.

I am puzzled why some people have issues while others don't. Where did you get your Note?

jeffs99

Apr 25, 2011
B

You sure you upgraded? If it acts the same, no better no worse, maybe you thought you upgraded,but you didn't.

lukeinchina

May 12, 2012
Shanghai / 上海
I am puzzled why some people have issues while others don't. Where did you get your Note?

Somewhere in Hong Kong. I live in Shanghai, but I didn't want to buy the Chinese model Note, so I got my brother-in-law to buy it for me when he went to Hong Kong in April.

B

You sure you upgraded? If it acts the same, no better no worse, maybe you thought you upgraded,but you didn't.

Yes, definitely. There were a lot of changes (fonts, face unlock, Settings in the status pulldown menu, etc) and of course it says Android version 4.03 in the 'About Phone' section of Settings. ;)

timonoj

Oct 22, 2010
Hong Kong
My gf's phone is a rooted Note. Yesterday she saw a notification for firmware upgrade, which I dismissed just in case. If I install the update, will it lose root/CWM? How could I re-root it back? Is this software update affected by the brick thing when you wipe? Thank you!

g5virus

Nov 13, 2004

Sent from Galaxy Note
I have reset to factory default after upgrade and everything is fine now.... I knew it is not a desire option but I don't see there will be any good option.

adamxadam

Feb 7, 2006

Sent from Galaxy Note

My sister have some issue of Wifi after upgraded to ICS 4.0 from Samsumg Kirs, please advice how to wiping if her phone is not root.

Thanks & Regards

timonoj

Oct 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Settings menu - Backup & Reset (I think you should have this menu) - Factory Data reset. I reckon you might find it otherwise on Settings - Security - Factory Reset

B

baz77

Settings menu - Backup & Reset (I think you should have this menu) - Factory Data reset. I reckon you might find it otherwise on Settings - Security - Factory Reset

Best to dovthis ftom a gb rom as from ics, this is what causes the hardbrick

adamxadam

Feb 7, 2006

Sent from Galaxy Note

My sister have some issue of Wifi after upgraded to ICS 4.0 from Samsumg Kirs, please advice how to wiping if her phone is not root.

Thanks & Regards

hajime_android

Apr 22, 2012
Excuse me! I am new to Android. What is mean by "wiping"?
I suppose "rooting" is similar to "jail breaking" in iPhone term. Am I right?
Do people who have "rooted" their phone have more issues after upgrading to ICS? Thanks.

Last edited:

wingod513

Nov 14, 2011
Hong Kong
My first time upgrade from 2.3.6 to 4.0.3 = lagging like hell and battery hog!

Then I had it reset to factory settings from menu. = no more lagm or lesser lag i should say. But battery hog still.

Then i did a hard reset (pressing volume button + power button + center button when my mobile off) = battery works a bit better now but still a bit hog.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

nitroblu

Dec 2, 2008
My gf's phone is a rooted Note. Yesterday she saw a notification for firmware upgrade, which I dismissed just in case. If I install the update, will it lose root/CWM? How could I re-root it back? Is this software update affected by the brick thing when you wipe? Thank you!

Yes, you will lose root and CWM. You can root and get back CWM after updating if you choose to. dr. ketan's mega thread explains how. I rooted after updating but chose not to install CWM.

For those of you who still haven't received the update, you might not get it OTA (from my personal experience). My phone found no update OTA, but instantly informed me of the update when I checked with Kies, so make sure to check both methods.

I didn't wipe after upgrading to ICS, not sure I want to yet. My personal observations are: battery life is a lot better (phone switches to sleep a lot faster now), reception/signal is much better, and the stylus accuracy is better. I've noticed no bugs with Maps or Music (though I haven't tried using GPS with Maps yet).

The bad things I've come across: 1) I've noticed so far is some very noticeable lag/sluggish touchscreen response, especially when clicking apps/buttons on the screen and any scrolling gestures. It's especially noticeable after waking the phone. 2) RAM load is also noticeably higher than before under normal usage (~100-200 MB more). 3) The phone takes a lot longer to perform "media scanning" after turning on. 4) A minor thing I've noticed is the phone takes a couple of seconds longer to shut down lol. Other than these 4 issues, my phone has been fine.

EDIT: I've found minor bug with the Music player - custom playlists randomly get deleted by the phone...major pain to redo them all. And I can't find where the phone saves them so I could at least try to back them up.

Last edited:
Reactions: hajime_android

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from Galaxy Note

Yes, you will lose root and CWM. You can root and get back CWM after updating if you choose to. dr. ketan's mega thread explains how. I rooted after updating but chose not to install CWM.

For those of you who still haven't received the update, you might not get it OTA (from my personal experience). My phone found no update OTA, but instantly informed me of the update when I checked with Kies, so make sure to check both methods.

I didn't wipe after upgrading to ICS, not sure I want to yet. My personal observations are: battery life is a lot better (phone switches to sleep a lot faster now), reception/signal is much better, and the stylus accuracy is better. I've noticed no bugs with Maps or Music (though I haven't tried using GPS with Maps yet).

The bad things I've come across: 1) I've noticed so far is some very noticeable lag/sluggish touchscreen response, especially when clicking apps/buttons on the screen and any scrolling gestures. It's especially noticeable after waking the phone. 2) RAM load is also noticeably higher than before under normal usage (~100-200 MB more). 3) The phone takes a lot longer to perform "media scanning" after turning on. 4) A minor thing I've noticed is the phone takes a couple of seconds longer to shut down lol. Other than these 4 issues, my phone has been fine.

EDIT: I've found minor bug with the Music player - custom playlists randomly get deleted by the phone...major pain to redo them all. And I can't find where the phone saves them so I could at least try to back them up.