AppContext [0.4.7.2] - Better application context for Tasker with Xposed! [4.0.3+]

Search This thread

JayShortway

All 5-star Play Store reviews disappear right after they are posted for some reason.
If you want to give a 5-star rating, please first give a 4-star rating and then update it to 5 stars.
Thanks!​

AppContext was featured on XDA Portal!

banner_shortway_512.jpg

Hi everyone!

After years of reading, flashing, and gaining a lot of Android-knowledge on XDA-Developers, I felt it was time to create my own Xposed Module.
So hereby I proudly present to you my first app:

AppContext
Better application context for Tasker with Xposed!
Now available on Google Play, XDA Labs and the Xposed Module Repository.

With AppContext, you can have Tasker react on running applications, without the downsides of the default implementation.

The default application context of Tasker has several downsides:
• it is inaccurate (in Android versions after KitKat)
• it needs an accessibility service (which disables screen lock for enhanced data encryption, but this can be re-enabled)
• it checks frequently which app is running
Especially the last point is inconvenient, as frequent checks may drain battery and infrequent checks means Tasker is slow to react.

AppContext solves these problems by utilizing the power of Xposed! It hooks directly into the Activity-class, letting Tasker react immediately when an app starts. This means no more periodic checking which app is running, so no more battery drain and no more slow reactions. It's also perfectly accurate and doesn't need an accessibility service, so your device's screen lock can be used for enhanced data protection again.
(Experimental support for reacting on Services is also present.)

AppContext may also work with other apps using the Locale API, such as Locale, Llama, Automate, Automagic and others. However, this is not tested extensively.

To support development, AppContext contains non-intrusive ads. These can be removed with a small in-app purchase. (Note that if you donate through PayPal on XDA, ads are not removed. Nevertheless, it is still highly appreciated:))

Please understand that AppContext is still considered to be in beta. There may be bugs. Please report them in this thread, or by using the in-app Feedback button or sending an email to shortwaystudio@gmail.com.
Constructive criticism is highly appreciated!

DOWNLOAD
Google Play
XDA Labs
Xposed Module Repository

COMPATIBILITY
• Android 4.0.3 and higher
• Xposed Framework
• Tasker (or equivalent)

CREDITS
• Crafty Apps EU/Pent for creating Tasker
• rovo89 for creating the Xposed Framework
• Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google Inc.

XDA:DevDB Information
AppContext, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
JayShortway
Xposed Package Name: io.shortway.appcontext

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 0.4.7.2
Beta Release Date: 2018-07-09

Created 2017-06-17
Last Updated 2018-07-09

Attachments

• Screenshot_1496141470.png
    Screenshot_1496141470.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 4,725
  • Screenshot_1496140914.jpg
    Screenshot_1496140914.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 4,695
  • Screenshot_1496140923.png
    Screenshot_1496140923.png
    192 KB · Views: 4,572
  • Screenshot_1496224742.jpg
    Screenshot_1496224742.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 4,365
  • Screenshot_1496225504.png
    Screenshot_1496225504.png
    254.4 KB · Views: 4,160
  • Screenshot_1496225511.png
    Screenshot_1496225511.png
    133.6 KB · Views: 4,049
Last edited:

JayShortway

Changelog

0.4.7.2 (Announcement)
Please report any bugs in this thread, or by sending an email to shortwaystudio@gmail.com.
  • [FEATURE] Added Chinese (Simplified) translation (thanks to @smailzhu).
  • [FIX] Some fixes to the Chinese (Traditional) translation (thanks to @smailzhu).
  • [FIX] Bug-fixes.

0.4.7.1 (Announcement)
Please report any bugs in this thread, or by sending an email to shortwaystudio@gmail.com.
  • [FEATURE] Added Chinese (Traditional) translation (thanks to @smailzhu).
  • [FEATURE] Compiled for Android 8.1.0 (API 27).
0.4.7 (Announcement)
Please report any bugs by using the in-app Feedback button, or by sending an email to shortwaystudio@gmail.com.
  • [FEATURE] The Requirements-section collapses automatically when all are met.
  • [FEATURE] Works with *official* Xposed for Nougat! Yay!
  • [FIX] A crash preventing AppContext to be launched is fixed.
  • [FIX] Minor bug fixes.
0.4.6 - Yet another minor one (Announcement)
Please report any bugs by using the in-app Feedback button, or by sending an email to shortwaystudio@gmail.com.
  • [FEATURE] The Requirements are more descriptive.
  • [FEATURE] Merged the 2 Tasker requirements ('installed' and 'enabled').
  • [FEATURE] You can now collapse the Requirements-section.
  • [FIX] Some bugs in the Dialogs are fixed.
  • [FIX] Internal code restructuring.
  • [ALSO] Migrated to the Play Billing Library.
0.4.5 - Another minor update (Announcement)
  • [FEATURE] Opening an existing Context now shows a Snackbar with 'Configure' button.
  • [FEATURE] The Requirements-section is clearer.
  • [FEATURE] Minor optimizations. Mainly foundations to be implemented later.
  • [FIX] Rewrote some of the Dialogs.
  • [FIX] Minor bugfixes.
0.4.4 - Minor update (Announcement)
  • [FEATURE] Compiled for Android 8.0 Oreo. (No Xposed for Oreo, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.)
  • [FEATURE] Slight optimizations.
  • [FIX] All currently reported bugs fixed.
  • [FIX] Some UI tweaks.
0.4.3 - Moar bugfixes (Announcement)
  • [FEATURE] Changed hooking of Services again, to prevent some problems.
  • [FEATURE] Toggling the experimental Services feature now requires a reboot to take effect.
  • [FEATURE] Moved 'Ignore Recents' to experimental features.
  • [FEATURE] Improved app detection.
  • [FIX] Another attempt to fix random crashes.
  • [FIX] Fixed some Xposed-related errors.
0.4.2 - Another bugfix release. (Announcement)
  • [FEATURE] Completely different way of hooking Services...
  • [FEATURE] ...which removes the reboot requirement...
  • [FEATURE] ...and should work much better.
  • [FIX] Another attempt to fix random crashes. If they still occur, please keep reporting them. Thanks!
  • [FIX] Minor bug-fixes.
  • Tested on unofficial Xposed for Nougat.
  • Some code restructuring.
0.4.1 - Bugfix release. (Announcement)
  • [FIX] Sometimes not all apps were shown in the 'Pick apps' screen. Shouldn't happen anymore. (Thanks for testing @Infy_AsiX & @JKL22.)
  • [FIX] Some Xposed-related errors were fixed. (Thanks for testing @JKL22.)
  • [FIX] Hopefully fixed the random crashes. If not, please keep reporting them. Thanks!
0.4 - Service support is here! (Experimentally, but still.) (Announcement)
  • [FEATURE] Now supports Services for Event Contexts. Enable it under 'Experimental features'.
  • [FEATURE] Completely rewrote the 'Pick apps' screen.
  • [FEATURE] The Search bar is now a Search button.
  • [FIXED] Tasker blurbs are a bit clearer now.
  • [FIXED] The website-version of Tasker is properly recognized.
  • [FIXED] Some other minor bugs.
0.3.2 - Another bugfix release. (Announcement)
Please report any bugs in this thread, or by using the in-app Feedback button or sending an email to shortwaystudio@gmail.com.
  • [FIXED] AppContext recognizes the Xposed Framework properly when installed (systemlessly) via Magisk.
  • [FIXED] The search bar was sometimes unresponsive. Not anymore.
  • [FIXED] The minimum Xposed Framework version required was downgraded to 86, as per request.
0.3.1 - Bugfix release. (Announcement)
Please report any bugs in this thread, or by using the in-app Feedback button or sending an email to shortwaystudio@gmail.com.
  • [FIXED] If AppContext's module is enabled, it won't complain about not being able to find the Xposed Framework.
  • [FIXED] Pressing 'back' when picking apps to act on does not crash the app anymore.
  • [FIXED] The Tasker blurb in a State profile makes sense now.
0.3 - Initial release.
  • Please report any bugs in this thread, or by using the in-app Feedback button or sending an email to shortwaystudio@gmail.com.

Last edited:

JayShortway

Known Issues

• Support for Services is still experimental, and is completely disabled by default.

The following issues are fixed in the current version.

• Support for Services is still experimental, and is completely disabled by default.
0.4.6 - Yet another minor one.
0.4.5 - Another minor update.
0.4.4 - Minor update.
0.4.3 - Moar bugfixes.
0.4.2 - Another bugfix release.
  • Support for Services is still experimental, but should work much better.
0.4.1 - Bugfix release.
  • Support for Services is still experimental.
0.4 - Service support is here!
  • Support for Services is still experimental.
  • Some apps do not show up in the 'Pick apps' screen.
  • AppContext sometimes force-closes.
0.3.2 - Another bugfix release.
  • None yet.
0.3.1 - Bugfix release.
  • None yet.
0.3 - Initial release.
  • Currently doesn't detect systemless Xposed via Magisk.
  • Pressing back when selecting apps to act on causes a crash. Instead, please tap either 'SAVE' (upper right) or 'X' (upper left).
  • A typo in the Tasker blurb.

Last edited:
Reactions: chw9999

lover

Mar 14, 2006
Oneplus3t with magisk and systemless xposed, The App does not detect xposed is installed and module has been activated!

Reactions: JayShortway

JayShortway

Zoltair Wright

Feb 18, 2006
Nashville, USA
• it needs an accessibility service, which prevents using screen lock to enhance data encryption

FYI you can still use disk encryption password with accessibility services. when you enable the service it disables the 'require passcode on boot' but you can just re-enable from the security settings and it works

great module by the way! thanks

JayShortway

FYI you can still use disk encryption password with accessibility services. when you enable the service it disables the 'require passcode on boot' but you can just re-enable from the security settings and it works

That's interesting! Very unclear communication from Android though. I'll add your info to the first post, thanks for letting me know!
(And glad you like the module. :))

pjohn23

Jan 3, 2014
Don't know if i posted this right but the message shown in "not running" state is the same as the running one in tasker. Shouldnt it say when "this app is not running" or something like that?

A great module and very reliable

Xperia Z running RR 5.7.4 with xposed v87 for MM

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170618-233040.png
    Screenshot_20170618-233040.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:

JayShortway

Don't know if i posted this right but the message shown in "not running" state is the same as the running one in tasker. Shouldnt it say when "this app is not running" or something like that?

A great module and very reliable

Xperia Z running RR 5.7.4 with xposed v87 for MM

Yes you're right! Thanks for the info and the screenshot. It's supposed to say "is in the foreground" or "is not in the foreground", but I see that "is" and "is not" have disappeared. Will be fixed in the next update.
Good to hear the module is reliable!

Reactions: pjohn23

Stupifier

Jun 8, 2010
Interesting Module. I always thought Tasker's app detection was a bit unreliable. Never thought it could be improved though. Thanks!

Wonder if Tasker Dev (Pent) will/can implement this as a "fix"

JayShortway

Hi everyone,

The first update (0.3.1) is live! It is now available on Google Play, XDA Labs and the Xposed Module Repository.
It is just a quick bugfix update. It should fix the typo in the Tasker blurb, the crash when pressing 'back' in the 'Pick apps' screen and also enable Magisk systemless Xposed compatibility.

For those of you with Magisk: AppContext will probably complain it can't find the Xposed Framework, but if you enable the module and reboot, it should work (and AppContext stops complaining). I would be glad if someone could report back.
I will probably make a more elegant solution in a 0.4 update.

Please report any bugs in this thread, or by using the in-app Feedback button or sending an email to shortwaystudio@gmail.com. Thanks!

Enjoy!

Reactions: n0j0e

JayShortway

Interesting Module. I always thought Tasker's app detection was a bit unreliable. Never thought it could be improved though. Thanks!

Wonder if Tasker Dev (Pent) will/can implement this as a "fix"

I'm glad you like it!
I don't think Tasker can implement this though, as AppContext hooks directly into Android-classes, which is only possible with Xposed.

richardkemp

Dec 12, 2005
Very nice! You should post it in http://www.reddit.com/r/Tasker too.

If I set an app context using your plugin, then navigate to the app and toggle the screen off and on, the profile deactivates and activates again. Is this deliberate? I'm actually not sure what the in-built app context's behaviour is. I found it confusing since in that case I haven't switched app, per se.

JayShortway

Very nice! You should post it in http://www.reddit.com/r/Tasker too.

If I set an app context using your plugin, then navigate to the app and toggle the screen off and on, the profile deactivates and activates again. Is this deliberate? I'm actually not sure what the in-built app context's behaviour is. I found it confusing since in that case I haven't switched app, per se.

Good point. It is sort-of intended behavior, as AppContext simply checks whether the app's (or Activity's, actually) 'onStop' method is called. This method gets called when you turn the screen off. I might change this behavior in the future, or make it configurable. Until then, you could use the following workaround:

1. Profile: Event --> Plugin --> AppContext --> Start --> pick the apps you want to act on
    1. Variables --> Variable Set
      • Name: %appsRunning
      • To: 1
  2. Either: Clone the previous Profile, then go into Configuration --> Menu (3-dots) --> Configure context --> Stop
    Or: Profile: Event --> Plugin --> AppContext --> Stop --> pick the same apps
    1. Task --> Wait
      • MS: 500 (You can play with this number: smaller for a quicker response, bigger for more reliability detecting screen state.)
    2. Task --> If
      • Condition: %SCREEN equals on
    3. Variables --> Variable Set
      • Name: %appsRunning
      • To: 0
    4. Task --> End If
  3. Profile: State --> Variables --> Variable Value --> %appsRunning equals 1
    1. Perform your Actions here.

I hope this works for you (and others)!

And thanks a lot for the heads-up on the subReddit, that's actually a very good suggestion!

Bladehawkz

Oct 21, 2015
Suggestion: currently on lollipop+(I think), location toggle is unable to be used, even with root. The workaround is to use another plugin app with root/adb privs, but I was wondering whether this could be changed using xposed (changing the location hook?), as it should be visible to tasker that's been granted root).

JayShortway

Suggestion: currently on lollipop+(I think), location toggle is unable to be used, even with root. The workaround is to use another plugin app with root/adb privs, but I was wondering whether this could be changed using xposed (changing the location hook?), as it should be visible to tasker that's been granted root).

Do you mean something like a Tasker-compatible Xposed module that toggles location modes?

Bladehawkz

Oct 21, 2015
Do you mean something like a Tasker-compatible Xposed module that toggles location modes?

More like editing tasker so that the location toggles work when it's granted root, instead of actually requiring you to download another app/plugin and granting that root.

Any location/GPS usage gets the message "For Android 2.3+ Google have made changes such that it is no longer possible for a normal app to change GPS without user-interaction. If you wish to continue.. blah blah blah.. consider rooting and installing the secure settings plugin".

Considering that Tasker is able to have root privileges granted, clearly it should be possible for it to toggle location.

JayShortway

More like editing tasker so that the location toggles work when it's granted root, instead of actually requiring you to download another app/plugin and granting that root.

Considering that Tasker is able to have root privileges granted, clearly it should be possible for it to toggle location.

Got it! It's a good point you make. However it would require either an Xposed module, or an actual adjustment/update to the Tasker app (by Pent). In case of the Xposed module, it would be interesting to see if and how this can be done.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All 5-star Play Store reviews disappear right after they are posted for some reason.
    If you want to give a 5-star rating, please first give a 4-star rating and then update it to 5 stars.
    Thanks!​

AppContext was featured on XDA Portal!

banner_shortway_512.jpg

Hi everyone!

After years of reading, flashing, and gaining a lot of Android-knowledge on XDA-Developers, I felt it was time to create my own Xposed Module.
    So hereby I proudly present to you my first app:

AppContext
    Better application context for Tasker with Xposed!
    Now available on Google Play, XDA Labs and the Xposed Module Repository.

With AppContext, you can have Tasker react on running applications, without the downsides of the default implementation.

The default application context of Tasker has several downsides:
    • it is inaccurate (in Android versions after KitKat)
    • it needs an accessibility service (which disables screen lock for enhanced data encryption, but this can be re-enabled)
    • it checks frequently which app is running
    Especially the last point is inconvenient, as frequent checks may drain battery and infrequent checks means Tasker is slow to react.

AppContext solves these problems by utilizing the power of Xposed! It hooks directly into the Activity-class, letting Tasker react immediately when an app starts. This means no more periodic checking which app is running, so no more battery drain and no more slow reactions. It's also perfectly accurate and doesn't need an accessibility service, so your device's screen lock can be used for enhanced data protection again.
    (Experimental support for reacting on Services is also present.)

AppContext may also work with other apps using the Locale API, such as Locale, Llama, Automate, Automagic and others. However, this is not tested extensively.

To support development, AppContext contains non-intrusive ads. These can be removed with a small in-app purchase. (Note that if you donate through PayPal on XDA, ads are not removed. Nevertheless, it is still highly appreciated:))

Please understand that AppContext is still considered to be in beta. There may be bugs. Please report them in this thread, or by using the in-app Feedback button or sending an email to shortwaystudio@gmail.com.
    Constructive criticism is highly appreciated!

DOWNLOAD
    Google Play
    XDA Labs
    Xposed Module Repository

COMPATIBILITY
    • Android 4.0.3 and higher
    • Xposed Framework
    • Tasker (or equivalent)

CREDITS
    • Crafty Apps EU/Pent for creating Tasker
    • rovo89 for creating the Xposed Framework
    • Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google Inc.

XDA:DevDB Information
    AppContext, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    JayShortway
    Xposed Package Name: io.shortway.appcontext

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 0.4.7.2
    Beta Release Date: 2018-07-09

Created 2017-06-17
    Last Updated 2018-07-09
    Changelog

0.4.7.2 (Announcement)
    • [FEATURE] Added Chinese (Simplified) translation (thanks to @smailzhu).
    • [FIX] Some fixes to the Chinese (Traditional) translation (thanks to @smailzhu).
    • [FIX] Bug-fixes.

0.4.7.1 (Announcement)
    • [FEATURE] Added Chinese (Traditional) translation (thanks to @smailzhu).
    • [FEATURE] Compiled for Android 8.1.0 (API 27).
    0.4.7 (Announcement)
    • [FEATURE] The Requirements-section collapses automatically when all are met.
    • [FEATURE] Works with *official* Xposed for Nougat! Yay!
    • [FIX] A crash preventing AppContext to be launched is fixed.
    • [FIX] Minor bug fixes.
    0.4.6 - Yet another minor one (Announcement)
    • [FEATURE] The Requirements are more descriptive.
    • [FEATURE] Merged the 2 Tasker requirements ('installed' and 'enabled').
    • [FEATURE] You can now collapse the Requirements-section.
    • [FIX] Some bugs in the Dialogs are fixed.
    • [FIX] Internal code restructuring.
    • [ALSO] Migrated to the Play Billing Library.
    0.4.5 - Another minor update (Announcement)
    • [FEATURE] Opening an existing Context now shows a Snackbar with 'Configure' button.
    • [FEATURE] The Requirements-section is clearer.
    • [FEATURE] Minor optimizations. Mainly foundations to be implemented later.
    • [FIX] Rewrote some of the Dialogs.
    • [FIX] Minor bugfixes.
    0.4.4 - Minor update (Announcement)
    • [FEATURE] Compiled for Android 8.0 Oreo. (No Xposed for Oreo, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.)
    • [FEATURE] Slight optimizations.
    • [FIX] All currently reported bugs fixed.
    • [FIX] Some UI tweaks.
    0.4.3 - Moar bugfixes (Announcement)
    • [FEATURE] Changed hooking of Services again, to prevent some problems.
    • [FEATURE] Toggling the experimental Services feature now requires a reboot to take effect.
    • [FEATURE] Moved 'Ignore Recents' to experimental features.
    • [FEATURE] Improved app detection.
    • [FIX] Another attempt to fix random crashes.
    • [FIX] Fixed some Xposed-related errors.
    0.4.2 - Another bugfix release. (Announcement)
    • [FEATURE] Completely different way of hooking Services...
    • [FEATURE] ...which removes the reboot requirement...
    • [FEATURE] ...and should work much better.
    • [FIX] Another attempt to fix random crashes. If they still occur, please keep reporting them. Thanks!
    • [FIX] Minor bug-fixes.
    • Tested on unofficial Xposed for Nougat.
    • Some code restructuring.
    0.4.1 - Bugfix release. (Announcement)
    • [FIX] Sometimes not all apps were shown in the 'Pick apps' screen. Shouldn't happen anymore. (Thanks for testing @Infy_AsiX & @JKL22.)
    • [FIX] Some Xposed-related errors were fixed. (Thanks for testing @JKL22.)
    • [FIX] Hopefully fixed the random crashes. If not, please keep reporting them. Thanks!
    0.4 - Service support is here! (Experimentally, but still.) (Announcement)
    • [FEATURE] Now supports Services for Event Contexts. Enable it under 'Experimental features'.
    • [FEATURE] Completely rewrote the 'Pick apps' screen.
    • [FEATURE] The Search bar is now a Search button.
    • [FIXED] Tasker blurbs are a bit clearer now.
    • [FIXED] The website-version of Tasker is properly recognized.
    0.3.2 - Another bugfix release. (Announcement)
    • [FIXED] AppContext recognizes the Xposed Framework properly when installed (systemlessly) via Magisk.
    • [FIXED] The search bar was sometimes unresponsive. Not anymore.
    • [FIXED] The minimum Xposed Framework version required was downgraded to 86, as per request.
    0.3.1 - Bugfix release. (Announcement)
    • [FIXED] If AppContext's module is enabled, it won't complain about not being able to find the Xposed Framework.
    • [FIXED] Pressing 'back' when picking apps to act on does not crash the app anymore.
    • [FIXED] The Tasker blurb in a State profile makes sense now.
    0.3 - Initial release.
    • Please report any bugs in this thread, or by using the in-app Feedback button or sending an email to shortwaystudio@gmail.com.
    AppContext 0.4.4

Hi everyone,

I have just released AppContext 0.4.4! It is now available on Google Play, XDA Labs and the Xposed Module Repository.

This is a minor update, because I have been in London for the past week which means I didn't have much development time. There were still some minor bugs reported via Google Play. This version fixes all those. Further, some inconsistencies/imperfections in the UI have been corrected, including an old overflow/menu button on pre-Lollipop devices. I have also started some work on optimizations. Lastly, this version targets Android 8.0 Oreo. There is of course no Xposed for Oreo, but it's best to be ready :D.

Please report any bugs in this thread, or by using the in-app Feedback button or sending an email to shortwaystudio@gmail.com. Thanks!

Enjoy!
    AppContext 0.4.7

Hi everyone,

I have just released AppContext 0.4.7! It is now available on Google Play, XDA Labs and the Xposed Module Repository.

The Requirements-section now collapses automatically when all requirements are met. I also tested it with the official Xposed for Nougat and found no problems. Please let me know if it works for you as well. Furthermore, a crash preventing AppContext to be launched should be fixed now. Lastly, I fixed some minor bugs.

I'd also like to thank rovo89 for the release of the official Xposed for Nougat. I'm very excited about this!

Enjoy!
    • it needs an accessibility service, which prevents using screen lock to enhance data encryption