[NEW] NT CM7 support thread

Search This thread

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Now that we've released CM7 again for the NT I thought I'd best start up a proper support thread. Pleas keep it as back reports and help.

Please use this thread to post feedback and to ask questions. The Dev thread is for exactly that, development and not support! Please keep the development thread clear of support and feedback posts.

Live support may be available on irc.freenode.net irc channel #nook-tablet-chat, if any of us are around we'll be happy to help but don't bug people if they are busy please. A web version of irc is available here http://webchat.freenode.net?channels=nook-tablet-chat

When posting a bug or issue please use the following format

• Which install are you using (Internal or SD):
  • What version is your CM7 download that you are using (should be alpha final now):
  • Do you have any mods on your NT (updates or system modifications)
  • If yes to above what have you installed
  • Where is this bug (main system or which application):
  • Can this bug be easily replicated:
  • If yes to above how can we replicate it to check:
  • Description of the bug
  • Any other information we may find useful

Know bugs for Internal version will be in post #2

Known Bugs for SD version will be in post #3

I'm awaiting a Mod cleanup of this thread and all previous bugs up until the new release will be removed from this thread, should knock it back down to about 2 or 3 pages and give me the 2nd and 3rd posts I mention above.

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Bugs / Issues from the internal version

Market will not work properly after the update unless you install the GApps (follow link in Dev thread)

Wifi sometimes does no reconnect after sleep, simply tap on the status bar to get notification up and toggle wifi off / on and it should reconnect.

There is currently no Reboot to Recovery option in the power menu, you can do this instead by going to rom manager (make sure it's updated via Market / Play)

Mounts aren't working properly due to a typo on 2 lines in build.prop. update zip to be flashed via CWM available HERE

There is still a possible issue with formatting. A member has said that asking the software to format the /media partition totally wiped his entire device completely removing the partition table creating a paperweight. As has been mentioned many times in both thread about CM7, if any formatting needs to be done please do it from a computer and if in the case of the Media partition that's not possible just delete files instead of formatting. Due to the risk involved we have not yet attempted to recreate this issue on our own devices!

Last edited:

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Bugs / Issues from the SD version

System will reboot if you remove the SD card, this is completely normal and you should not remove the SD while device is running from it.

Market will not work properly after the update unless you install the GApps (follow link in Dev thread)

Wifi sometimes does no reconnect after sleep, simply tap on the status bar to get notification up and toggle wifi off / on and it should reconnect.

There is currently no Reboot to Recovery option in the power menu, you can do this instead by going to rom manager (make sure it's updated via Market / Play)

Mounts aren't working properly due to a typo on 2 lines in build.prop. search this thread for how to fix the issue on SD release

There is still a possible issue with formatting. A member has said that asking the software to format the /media partition totally wiped his entire device completely removing the partition table creating a paperweight. As has been mentioned many times in both thread about CM7, if any formatting needs to be done please do it from a computer and if in the case of the Media partition that's not possible just delete files instead of formatting. Due to the risk involved we have not yet attempted to recreate this issue on our own devices!

Last edited:

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
CelticWebSolutions is one of the prime devs for sure. Integrity and great attitude towards us obnoxious (sometimes) users. Kudos to you sir, and we wait patiently--well, kind of . :)

d0okk13

Aug 14, 2010
Just reading the official B&N FAQ for the nook tablet, it indicates "Do NOT turn off your NOOK while it is charging; just allow it to go into sleep mode automatically".

I'd been turning it off to charge also, I think i'll follow their directions and see if it charges faster.

The question i'm quoting is: "How long does it take to fully charge my NOOK?" In the "hardware" category.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link. I'll try to charge it without turning the nook off. if it does charge faster, the question would be, "is there any way for it to charge quickly while off?"

On a side note,I did wonder why the nook would always boot up when I plug in the charger after the nook powered down from low battery.

theartofbone

Dec 24, 2011
Thank you sir

Just a quick thanks to Celtic & the rest of the people working on the Nook Tablet... thanks!!! Btw, on one of your forum thread pictures I've noted that your screen is quite smudgy. If you need a screen protector for your nook or any of your newer 8 GB models, let me know, at your service.

And as a side note, I've got absolutely no issues w/ your Alpha CM7 release. No wifi issues, nada. Perhaps this is because my wifi network is password less and only authentication method is via wireless mac filter. Only thing if anything is that sometimes (seldomly) when I swap SD Cards while it's powered on, the device will display the Cyanogen 7 boot animation while booted. A quick rotation from portrait to landscape mode fixes this and allows you to press the home button and "home on out" of this.

*** Btw, if you need a screen protector for any of your nooks, w/o hesitation let me know!! Thanks!

BangDK

Jan 1, 2012
The wifi freezing / disconnecting and needing rebooting is the most well known bug of all. It's posted many times through this thread, it's also stated on the dev thread a few times. I don't mean to sound like many of the other grumpy Devs but please there is a search button! You can search a thread and see every mention of wifi quite easily!

I feel ashamed :-(

The_Joe

Jan 2, 2012
Tacoma, Wa

Once isnt something to be ashamed of. You have nine posts. I dont know how much time you have spent on other forums, but searching isnt second nature for young folks new to sites like these.

Now, so long as you do your best not to let it happen again, Im sure no one will castrate you.

Lol, prolly feels a lot like walking into a church with a cowboy hat on. :p

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

Celtic, I have been thinking, now that you have a new version up, (By the way, you rock) are you going to start a new support thread? This one is VERY long and a little bit daunting, and I am sure that the new rom will bring with it new bugs. This one is almost excessively about video playback and wifi, and the new rom (As I understand) fixes both.

Who would have thought that casually asking if CM7 would be easier and less time consuming could have led to this well polished and very impressive result?

Reactions: ftokc

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Celtic, I have been thinking, now that you have a new version up, (By the way, you rock) are you going to start a new support thread? This one is VERY long and a little bit daunting, and I am sure that the new rom will bring with it new bugs. This one is almost excessively about video playback and wifi, and the new rom (As I understand) fixes both.

Who would have thought that casually asking if CM7 would be easier and less time consuming could have led to this well polished and very impressive result?

I agree, I'll sort something later ;) I will probably just clear out this thread leaving 3 posts at the start which I can populate with known issues, tips and that sort of thing.

Watch this space ;)

jurcacristian

Feb 29, 2012
hi guys, just wanted to say about 2 issues that i saw on my NT.
1. The sleep issue - I've saw that was already posted about 5 pages ago, just wanted to tell i got it too ... after closing the NT the second day could not start it up... had to long press power button a couple of times (didn't knew about shortcut PWR + N button)
2. somehow related to the first one. While playing music, after approx 15 min the sounds stops . I've pressed the Pwr on NT and the playlist is on screen and a song appear to be playing but no sound. I've tried to go to running applications too force kill the app but a get a error message about Force/wait/ ... After that I tried to restart with long press and selected restart/shutdown but it doesn't do anything , again had to long press to shut it down.

Hope this helps, i could try to get some logs if that helps.
Thanks.

Reactions: silicman

sangahm

Feb 24, 2008
Thanks for responding. So there must be an issue with my configuration. I'll have to mess around with it some more (already deleted cache and uninstalled/reinstalled).
At least I know it can work.

Well I finally had to downgrade to v2.6 before it would work correctly. It's not as feature-rich as the latest version, but it does work now.

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
Just noticed something...doesn't the first post normally have a link to the software being discussed?

djd338

Jan 28, 2011
I have been running your first release since its inception, and it has IMO, ran fantastic compared to the first release of CM7 for the old Nook Color at this current point. That NC unit and its early CM7 was a great way to learn to troubleshoot bootloops and SOD's!

Anyway, I downloaded your updated CM7 Alpha 12 straight to the tablet and installed. I wanted to try install with only a cache and dalvik wipe first. This went surprisingly well and has been running smooth for several hours now. So far so good!

The first glitch I had on install was the old Market and updated Google play seemed to fight each other with their update. Once the browser was up, I downloaded the new Google Play apk and installed overwritting the old Market directly. Then it took well. After a reboot, all apps were restored using Titanium Backup, and another reboot. I did have one point where I had to pop the SD and reinsert as expected but no prob there.

I want to thank you and all other Team B Devs for this great work. Donation inbound!

Reactions: CelticWebSolutions

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Just noticed something...doesn't the first post normally have a link to the software being discussed?

Good point!

This thread will be almost completely wiped soon when the new internal verison is released, its' getting rather long now and people don't read when it's only a few pages so with 65 pages theres no chance!

When the thread is cleared I'll add in links to the software at the begining too. I'll also be requesting that people post in a set manor. Something like

CM7 build download number (e.g. alpha 12)
Device version (8gb or 16gb)
Install type (sd or internal)
How long have you been running the build?
Short description of bug:
Have you had this bug more than once ?
Can this bug be reproduced on demand, if so how?

Hopefully that will make things easier for everyone ! Although I fully expect many people won't do it like that because they won't have even bothered reading the read to know to do it!

BBJon

Jan 20, 2012
Just Flashed Rom

Ok, so this was a bit daunting for me. I've rooted my EVO several times, with several roms and had little difficulty. The NT, however was an horse of a different color.

I first used Nook and Zergy a month or so ago. Never got it working good, but good enough (better than stock B&N)

Then I tried using CMW_SD_flash_and_exe. After much frustration yesterday, I finally figured out that the NT won't boot from the SD card unless the power cable is plugged in. I could finally get into a boot loader program, but kept getting installation aborted when trying to install the ZIP. The CM7_NT_Alpha12_Public1.zip was too big once I made my SD card a boot loader, so I ended up copying this Zip to the tablet's internal memory and installing from there.

I don't know if i'm truly "rooted" in the sense that I can now boot the nook into recovery mode any time, or if I will need to use the SD card to load new ROMs.

My phone is working such that I can reboot into recovery mode any time I want without an SD card. Not sure how I would do that with the NT, or if I'm comparing apples to oranges as it were.

Anyway, all seems to be working, I wiped cache/dalvik cache/data and rebooted. CM7 seems to have loaded, I put in my google account and it's off to the races. After sharing my phones WiFi (thanks to being rooted) my NT is now dl all my installed apps. I think I upgraded to Play from Market so for now I think all is well! Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share my defeats and my success!

Goncezilla

May 1, 2010
Washington DC
Ok, so this was a bit daunting for me. I've rooted my EVO several times, with several roms and had little difficulty. The NT, however was an horse of a different color.

I first used Nook and Zergy a month or so ago. Never got it working good, but good enough (better than stock B&N)

Then I tried using CMW_SD_flash_and_exe. After much frustration yesterday, I finally figured out that the NT won't boot from the SD card unless the power cable is plugged in. I could finally get into a boot loader program, but kept getting installation aborted when trying to install the ZIP. The CM7_NT_Alpha12_Public1.zip was too big once I made my SD card a boot loader, so I ended up copying this Zip to the tablet's internal memory and installing from there.

I don't know if i'm truly "rooted" in the sense that I can now boot the nook into recovery mode any time, or if I will need to use the SD card to load new ROMs.

My phone is working such that I can reboot into recovery mode any time I want without an SD card. Not sure how I would do that with the NT, or if I'm comparing apples to oranges as it were.

Anyway, all seems to be working, I wiped cache/dalvik cache/data and rebooted. CM7 seems to have loaded, I put in my google account and it's off to the races. After sharing my phones WiFi (thanks to being rooted) my NT is now dl all my installed apps. I think I upgraded to Play from Market so for now I think all is well! Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share my defeats and my success!

Get Indirects CWM App. It will perm install CWM so you can get to it by holding down Power + N (without need for SDcard).

Link in a second

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To use ES File Explorer to edit system files, you need to go to ES File Explorer settings and checked "Root Explorer" and "Mount File System". To edit buid.prop, long press on the file and open it as text in ES Note Editor. Build.prop is in your system folder.

For wifi problem,

Try - edit your build.prop and commented out "wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 20" by "# wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 20".

Not sure if it'll help with the random wifi drop.

While you're there, change "dalvik.vm.heapsize=64m" to "dalvik.vm.heapsize=128m"

Wifi calibration,

Turn off your wifi and open up terminal

# su
    # insmod system/etc/wifi/tiwlan_drv.ko <-only if tiwlan_drv.ko is not loaded, check by lsmod
    # start wlan_loader
    # ifconfig tiwlan0 up
    # wlan_cu -b
    # / w p 1 l 2 f 2 <-there is space between each character
    # / t b v 21
    # / t b t 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    # / q
    # /system/bin/rmmod tiwlan_drv

Now you can turn on your wifi.

For mounting media partition,

Try - edit your build.prop and add, "ro.additionalmounts=/mnt/media" and
    "ro.vold.switchablepair=/mnt/sdcard,/mnt/media".

I don't know if this work, but in my CM7 build it work when you turn on USB storage. It will mount both sdcard and media partitions.

For reading epub with Nook App,

Copy your epub to /sdcard/Nook/MyDocuments and refresh in the app.
    Now that we've released CM7 again for the NT I thought I'd best start up a proper support thread. Pleas keep it as back reports and help.

Please use this thread to post feedback and to ask questions. The Dev thread is for exactly that, development and not support! Please keep the development thread clear of support and feedback posts.

Live support may be available on irc.freenode.net irc channel #nook-tablet-chat, if any of us are around we'll be happy to help but don't bug people if they are busy please. A web version of irc is available here http://webchat.freenode.net?channels=nook-tablet-chat

When posting a bug or issue please use the following format

• What version is your CM7 download that you are using (should be alpha final now):
    • Description of the bug
    • Any other information we may find useful

Know bugs for Internal version will be in post #2

Known Bugs for SD version will be in post #3

I'm awaiting a Mod cleanup of this thread and all previous bugs up until the new release will be removed from this thread, should knock it back down to about 2 or 3 pages and give me the 2nd and 3rd posts I mention above.
    Bugs / Issues from the SD version

System will reboot if you remove the SD card, this is completely normal and you should not remove the SD while device is running from it.

Mounts aren't working properly due to a typo on 2 lines in build.prop. search this thread for how to fix the issue on SD release

Bugs / Issues from the internal version

Mounts aren't working properly due to a typo on 2 lines in build.prop. update zip to be flashed via CWM available HERE

New internal release version Alpha Final released today 9th March

When posting a bug or issue please use the following format to keep things easy for us

• Description of the bug
    Any other information we may find useful