[FAQ]HELP THREAD - Noob Friendly

Search This thread

azzledazzle

Dec 12, 2010
XDA Sucks !
I successfully unlocked my H1s. I installed Goo Manager and installed TWRP from within Goo Manager. I manually rebooted. When I restarted with PWR-VOL-DOWN the normal boot menu popped up, not TWRP. When I selected the RECOVERY option, I didn't get TWRP, I got a black screen with a phone image in the middle with a green arrow circling and then that turned to a red triangle. I used PWR-VOL-UP and was presented with a screen with options like reboot, wipe something, etc. At the bottom of the screen was:

E: can't open /cache/recovery/command
E: failed to mount /sdcard

Why can't I access the TWRP custom recovery?

:silly:

I'm unlocked, but not rooted. Could that be the problem. Can I root without a recovery tool? I wanted to install TWRP instead of CWM, create a backup, then root. Can I root without a recovery tool?

That image you see is the stock recovery, So TWRP didnt flash successfully, The best way to flash something is via fastboot.

Download the recovery image - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69014495/twrp.img

Put it in the folder with all your adb / fastboot files, Open a command window from that folder (hold shift & right click) and type: fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

That should sort you out :good: you dont need root to do this, You can however flash the root package in TWRP

Reactions: esnittle

esnittle

May 17, 2012
Brooklyn
That image you see is the stock recovery, So TWRP didnt flash successfully, The best way to flash something is via fastboot.

Put it in the folder with all your adb / fastboot files, Open a command window from that folder (hold shift & right click) and type: fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

That should sort you out :good: you dont need root to do this, You can however flash the root package in TWRP
Thank you, azzledazzle, that worked!! :laugh:

azzledazzle

Dec 12, 2010
XDA Sucks !
what is the best root kernal and ROM for the one s right now?:eek::eek:

There is no best or worse ROM, You can only test them all to find one that suits you.

What sort of ROM are you looking for ? Close to stock ? Totally Modded ? Nicely themed ?

All i can say is make a nandroid, Put a load of ROMs on your SD Card and try them all over the next few days.

Rugged96

May 26, 2010
Nashville
I know the connector is compatible but will the charger for my HTC HD2 work with this phone? Anything i should be concerned about electrically speaking...?

G

GuestX0019

you can also look at the specs on charger

should be "around" 4.5 to 9.5v output and 800mA

i am using my N1 chargers on the 1s

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Thanks for that link azzledazzle. If I try twrp, I would prefer to fastboot it, independent og goo-mgr

ken

Zolor23

Jun 4, 2012
Boston
I just got a "system optimization" update. Is that the 1.83 OTA? I'm rooted w/ CWM recovery. If I want to update, I have to flash stock recovery, unroot, and relock bootloader, right? Will the update still be there? Can I root after updating?

azzledazzle

Dec 12, 2010
XDA Sucks !
I just got a "system optimization" update. Is that the 1.83 OTA? I'm rooted w/ CWM recovery. If I want to update, I have to flash stock recovery, unroot, and relock bootloader, right? Will the update still be there? Can I root after updating?

you dont need to unroot, however you may lose root during the update, I think its necessary to relock bootloader and have stock recovery,

If you are getting the update without all that, chances are it will still be there after :)

If you are on a custom ROM, DO NOT UPDATE !

Reactions: Zolor23

Zolor23

Jun 4, 2012
Boston
you dont need to unroot, however you may lose root during the update, I think its necessary to relock bootloader and have stock recovery,

If you are getting the update without all that, chances are it will still be there after :)

If you are on a custom ROM, DO NOT UPDATE !

If I lose root, will I be able to root while on 1.84 stock?

Another Question here : It says Tampered at the top. I know that that was because I was flashing stuff, but it will stay there no matter what? I can't remove it?

Last edited:

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
I have just spent a half hour searching this forum, including the dev stickies, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to restore a Tmobile One S to 100% shipped/stock when it's got a custom ROM.

Is there a shipped RUU I can use?

How about a PBIMG** I can stick on the root of my SD card? (preferred)

WCCobra

May 12, 2012
I have just spent a half hour searching this forum, including the dev stickies, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to restore a Tmobile One S to 100% shipped/stock when it's got a custom ROM.

Is there a shipped RUU I can use?

How about a PBIMG** I can stick on the root of my SD card? (preferred)

It is not possible to get it 100% back to shipped/stock without S-Off. The best you can do is RUU and relock the bootloader.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1543588&highlight=ruu
and
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1697604&highlight=ruu

Last edited:

azzledazzle

Dec 12, 2010
XDA Sucks !
It is not possible to get it 100% back to shipped/stock without S-Off. The best you can do is RUU and relock the bootloader.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1543588&highlight=ruu
and
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1697604&highlight=ruu

yes +1 to that ^^^

The only difference will be your bootloader will say **RELOCKED** Instead of just **LOCKED** But dont panic, as your warranty will still be intact providing everything is back to stock.

You will need to relock bootloader BEFORE running the RUU, If the RUU fails, You may need to flash the stock recovery too, So its best to just flash it before relocking bootloader, to save you some time :D

aasterix

Aug 19, 2011
Might be ICS faults?

Hi!
First of sorry about my gramar, i dont live in a country where english is the first language, but hoping that you will understand what im asking/saying =).
also hoping this might be the correct thred to post on. If not im sorry!

I changed from my beloved Desire to a new One s since a month back but have had to many problems to enjoy this phone, hoping someone could help me with them, or tell me if im not the only one.
Have search all over google for most of the problems but cant find any fix/simular faults that users have experienced.

the problems

1. Some times when i power off my phone, (like every 10 time), i cant power it back on again. I found the HTC fix for it with charging up the phone and holding down the power button for x ammount of secounds and that fixes it, but my battery is full to start with when the problem happens and a phone new to the market should not have this problem, or? Should i return it to get a new one? or is it a problem most users have? And the problem is not the power button not beeing in the right place, i removed the back many times and the button is placed correct.

2. Sometimes when im playing games or listening to music, all of a sudden my ringtone starts to sound. Like right now, i was playing Anamoly and all of a sudden my ringtone started to sound. My screen did not change, i had no messages about incomming calls, and i checked my music player and nothing was playing there. Anyone had that problem befor?

3. Are the problems maybe related to the ICS? My htc desire dident have any of these problems and it dident run on ICS. if i reflash the rom/change the rom do you think the problems might go away?

4. This is not a question more then a wishing. If i reflash a new room, like cyanogenmod (i really miss them), will the multi-task handling be back? Because as it is now its nothing less then broken. Its really not worth much if you cant get out of a game, check a website, and resume the game, insted it reloads the game from starts =/.

If you have any answers please write in the post or to my inbox. Will be checking it often!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    louadpe119.gif

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE,ADB, ROMs, Drivers,Recovery, Bootloader....ECT.... You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

I've made this thread as a help thread. For all people new to the HTC One S / Android.
    Im New to the One S myself So im still learning myself.. But i think this thread could help us all...

Treat this place as a chat room. DO NOT INSULT NOOBS,THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!!

I Will try my best to answer all questions, Or point you in the right direction, Everyone is welcome to ask AND answer ANY question

Hopefully this will stop unwanted and un-needed posts spamming the One S Forums

Once this place gets busy, There will be a 'Hall Of Fame' Where the most helpful contributors will receive a special Banner to show off how helpful you are :):) SO GET HELPING !!!!

PLEASE READ THE FAQ's !!!

IRC CHAT Channels: #helpmenow or #htc-one-s
    Also under maintenance - please be patient

plduaoe116.gif

Q. So I've just got my shiny new One S..... How do i unlock the bootloader ??

A. Congrats :D First step to unlocking bootloader is via HTCDev which can be found HERE You must make an account first and select your model (if model is not shown select 'All other supported models').. Instructions are on there

Q. Awesome. How do i use ADB ??

A. Check out THIS thread for in depth details with pics. (Credits to MLIGN for creating this)

Q. Ok so I know how to use ADB, I have unlocked Bootloader, How do i get CWM Recovery + Root ??

A. To get CWM + Root please look HERE (Credits to TORXX for creating this)

Q. Ok, Now I Have **TAMPERED** In Bootloader, Does this mean the world is going to end ?

A. No the world will not end, Not today anyway, **TAMPERED** is Normal when using custom software, Such as ROMs / Recovery, It will disappear when you revert to stock. Also, If you get SECURITY WARNING, This is also normal(ish) You will have to relock bootloader and run an RUU to restore equilibrium in the universe

Q. Help my phone is in a bootloop and I can't remove the battery

A. Ok calm down, Hold down the Power button for 10 - 15 seconds... This should force a reboot

Q. Thanks, You're Awesome. Now Where can I find a Custom ROM ??

A. :D I know, All custom ROMs are in the Development Section found HERE
    We have no Kernel Source Code yet, So not everything is possible. Please be patient

Q. Oh if only there was such tool that could make this whole process much simpler.....?

A. :D Well my friend its your lucky day ! Check out this awesome tool HERE (Credits to HASOON2000 for making this)

Q. My phone is faulty... How can i get it back to stock before sending it for repair ??

A. To go back to stock, Run an RUU (available in Development section) If you cannot find one that matches your CID, Extract the rom.zip from the RUU and modify the android-info.txt, Re package it and flash the rom.zip in recovery, WE NOW HAVE SUPERCID, CHANGE TO WHATEVER YOU LIKE TO GET THE RUU WORKING !!.

Q. Help, I did some crazy **** and now I'm in a boot-loop with no ROM on my SD to flash !!

A. Ok, Firstly WHAT THE HELL !!! Secondly, Calm down, Try a full factory reset, or restore a nandroid if you have one, If that fails, Look at THIS guide on how to push files / Flash ROMs via ADB.

Q. Ok, Thanks, But that didnt work, I have error mounting SD card, I think its a brick.

A. Ok, Slap your self in the face 3 times, then stub your toe ! Now look at THIS guide on how to fix your issue

Q. Is this all the FAQ's Done with ??

A. No I will continue to update the FAQ's When they become more.....erm Frequent,:D

TIP: Always Check MD5 Checksums match on flashable .zip files.. Download MD5 Checker HERE

IF YOU CANNOT FIND THE ANSWER YOU NEED, LOOK HERE, IF ITS NOT THERE, THEN YOU MAY POST :D
    Hi, Yes I am willing to update the thread with some FAQ's, I am also willing to spend hours helping assist people (unless my GF boots me off the computer) And hopefully over time, If I see regular contributors I would be more than happy to make a team with them (if they would accept)

I would be grateful if this was stickied, I do not know the answer to everything, But as i mentioned a few posts back, If we all chip together i recon we can conquer the world !!!!........... Or at least the HTC One S :p

Thanks...... Cant click thanks, Im all out sorry !

Then you got yourself a sticky! Good luck with keeping everybody happy;)

I will add [FAQ] To the tag, also add it to the wiki.

Peace!
    Actually there is a thread in general section regarding the battery life, but is abandoned from everyone

Here is the link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1548396
    I thought 'N' Was 5ghz ?

No, it can be either 2.4 or 5. 5 is better as 2.4 is very polluted with microwaves from various devices, also bluetooth operates in the similar if not the same range, so you get worse wifi connection when using wifi and bt simultaneously.

No idea wherever One S supports 5Ghz though. I guess some info on it will pop out sooner or later.

Is it known how well the camera will work in a stock ICS ROM, ie Cyanogen etc? What with it using the ImageSense chip and all. Will drivers be an issue?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA

Most likely there will be massive problems due to proprietary drivers for image chip.