Send sms using pc via adb (linux - android)

Search This thread

polizois

Jul 15, 2012
Hello XDA!!!this is my first post...
I wanted to be able to send sms messages using my pc but i couldnt find anything useful....
So, after doing some research i managed to create and modify some scripts and got the results i wanted...
The scripts run on linux and have been tested on Arch Linux and Ubuntu...
There are 2 main scripts:
One for reading the phone's messages..
And one for sending messages...
The second script also reads a file called "contacts" and displays its content...
The "contacts" file does not use the phones contacts...the user can open it using a text editor and write his own contacts...
There is also another file called "adb_location" which the user must open with a text editor and paste location of adb...

#######Requirements#########
* Rooted android phone with sqlite3 installed(I believe most custom roms have sqlite3 installed)(My phone is rooted nexus S with CM9)
* Linux pc (tested: Arch Linux and Android)
* ADB installed and working properly

#######After Download#########
* Extract sms.zip wherever you want
* Connect your rooted phone to pc in debugging mode (so it can interact with ADB)
* Open the extracted folder
* Open the file: "adb_location" using a text editor and replace the line: "/opt/android-sdk/platform-tools/adb" with your own adb location
* Open the file: "contacts" and replace the examples with the contacts that you will be using
* Open in terminal the file: "reader-refresh.sh" to read the messages from your phone
* Open in terminal the file: "launch-contacts.sh" to view your contacts and send messages

Here is a demonstration video...not vary instructive but i thing it will help:
XDA wont let me post an outside link...so if you want to see the video search on youtube : "Send sms using pc via adb (linux - android)"

note: If you don't know how to root your phone, flash custom roms or install adb on your linux system, there are plenty of tutorials available on the web

Attachments

• sms.zip
    9 KB · Views: 1,603

gabx

Jul 24, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
WWWOOOUUUAAAHHHH.

Thanks 1000 times. I have been trying with Qtadb (qtadb installed on both sides). It is supposed to send sms but never could make it ork (client not responding)
I just found your script, and as an Arch user, noting to do than run it!! And working.

Very good script mate.

TY again, as I spend all day long on my box, and typing SMS on my SGS2 small keyboard is a pane in the ass.

Juanisan

Mar 1, 2010
I wanted to be able to send sms messages using my pc but i couldnt find anything useful....
So, after doing some research i managed to create and modify some scripts and got the results i wanted...

I think I will use this and adapt it to a web page my sister can use in Abu Dhabi to text anyone in the US for free through my phone.

Thank you so much for the research you have done. KUDOS!

iandoug

May 16, 2009
ICS/Jellybean

Hi

can anyone confirm this is working in ICS/Jellybean (particularly on a SGS2)?

thanks, Ian

iandoug

May 16, 2009
Sorted

Got things working again ... needed another

sleep 1
$ADB shell input keyevent 22

after the first one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The scripts run on linux and have been tested on Arch Linux and Ubuntu...
    There are 2 main scripts:
    One for reading the phone's messages..
    And one for sending messages...
    The second script also reads a file called "contacts" and displays its content...
    The "contacts" file does not use the phones contacts...the user can open it using a text editor and write his own contacts...
    There is also another file called "adb_location" which the user must open with a text editor and paste location of adb...

#######Requirements#########
    * Rooted android phone with sqlite3 installed(I believe most custom roms have sqlite3 installed)(My phone is rooted nexus S with CM9)
    * Linux pc (tested: Arch Linux and Android)
    * ADB installed and working properly

#######After Download#########
    * Extract sms.zip wherever you want
    * Connect your rooted phone to pc in debugging mode (so it can interact with ADB)
    * Open the extracted folder
    * Open the file: "adb_location" using a text editor and replace the line: "/opt/android-sdk/platform-tools/adb" with your own adb location
    * Open the file: "contacts" and replace the examples with the contacts that you will be using
    * Open in terminal the file: "reader-refresh.sh" to read the messages from your phone
    * Open in terminal the file: "launch-contacts.sh" to view your contacts and send messages

Here is a demonstration video...not vary instructive but i thing it will help:
    XDA wont let me post an outside link...so if you want to see the video search on youtube : "Send sms using pc via adb (linux - android)"

note: If you don't know how to root your phone, flash custom roms or install adb on your linux system, there are plenty of tutorials available on the web