[GUIDE]-Updated 17March - Unlock/Root - Return to Stock/Unbrick - Nexus7 3G - 4.2.2

Search This thread

2gDSM

Apr 27, 2011
My Nexus 7 (tilapia) is currently bricked, and booting into recovery shows the red triangle with an exclamation mark. All I can do is get to the bootloader screen which lists:

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT NAME - tilapia
VARIANT - tilapia
HW VERSION - PR
BOOTLOADER VERSION - 4.23
BASEBAND VERSION - 1231_0.18.0_0409
SERIAL NUMBER - etc
SIGNING - not defined yet
LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED

At this time fastboot devices lists the serial number of my device. As well so my drivers should be up to date.

When I try to flash anything (bootloader, recovery, etc) it returns:
sending 'bootloader' <2100 KB>...
FAILED (data transfer failure ,Unknown error>>
finished. total time: 0.017s

Do you have any advice?

Jun 26, 2013
3g feature disappeared

I had a rooted nexus7 3G 2012 model.. I have followed the below tutorial and upgrade to android 4.3.

http nexus7.wonderhowto . com/how-to/install-googles-official-4-3-jelly-bean-update-your-nexus-7-tablet-right-now-0148040

I had no idea that I have downloaded Wifi 4.3 version and flashed it. After flashing I cant see any signals of 3g feature. In setting the mobile networks option totally disappeared.

Can anyone help me please tell me how to get back the 3G feature. The tablet is just 2 days old..

n.vk1305

Oct 16, 2011
Hyderabad
does unlocking bootloader voids warranty?? just got my nexus 7 ,2 days back.Iam a rom changing freak..! i really want to have custom roms.! :D

austin_dreq

May 28, 2011
Kuwait
Motorola Moto G100 / Edge S
Solution for soft-bricked Nexus 7

Use wug's tool select "softbricked/bootloop" under return to stock.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1766475

My Nexus 7 (tilapia) is currently bricked, and booting into recovery shows the red triangle with an exclamation mark. All I can do is get to the bootloader screen which lists:

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT NAME - tilapia
VARIANT - tilapia
HW VERSION - PR
BOOTLOADER VERSION - 4.23
BASEBAND VERSION - 1231_0.18.0_0409
SERIAL NUMBER - etc
LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED

At this time fastboot devices lists the serial number of my device. As well so my drivers should be up to date.

When I try to flash anything (bootloader, recovery, etc) it returns:
sending 'bootloader' <2100 KB>...
FAILED (data transfer failure ,Unknown error>>
finished. total time: 0.017s

Do you have any advice?

TemplarWithin

Jan 2, 2014
Thanks a lot, i've been searching all morning for a way to root this device and i somehow missed your post, now i can start tinkering with this baby!

bk13kvi

Jul 14, 2010
Hi...

After a lot of different tries i followed your guide and everything i perfekt until i flash the image.

Then i get " checking version-baseband" FAILED

Device version-baseband is N/A
Update requires '1231_01.17.0_1205'

What do i do from here?

silversulphur

Sep 23, 2012
USB Debugging setting status not known

RETURN TO STOCK and/or UNBRICK your N7 3G+

Here, I have a doubt. If my device is bricked (don't know soft or hard) which means I have no way of checking USB Debugging setting status (ticked or unticked since I don't remember also), can I still use your guide to return to stock.

and here

6. Now type:
Code:
fastboot -w update image-nakasig-jdq39.zip

Here also, does removing -w makes sure that data won't be wiped in the process?

My whole story goes like this:

My Asus Nexus 7C 2012 got 'bricked' not because I tried to either flash any custom rom/stock (Actually I never did that) or do anything stupid but because of some sets of reasons which resulted in bricked devices all around the world, and like many other users, it happened 'just' after the warranty period expired. :( (what I remember is that I used an app using GPS (GPS Essentials) for tracking for the first time in the morning, then I forgot to exit the app and later in the evening, the device stopped booting for ever). I researched too much to an extent that now I'm bored. Before, I knew nothing about flashing, custom roms, stock, CWM, ADB, fastboot etc etc now I may be a bit of help to other rookies :) but couldn't help troubleshooting my N7C (2012) till now.
I think I have found some step-by-step guides like this URL (unbrick.itcse dot com/unbrick-soft-bricked-nexus-7) and, believe me, many others. The thing which always stopped me finally giving at try to that was the hope of somehow be able to recover the precious data from device since it stopped booting. Deciding to go for flashing has become even harder because somewhere I read to remove -w from some command like fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jwr66v.zip to avoid wiping data and now I can't seem to find the webpage. Also, I never updated the android from its factory build i.e. 4.2 I guess and actually there used to be a notification present asking for updating the system to some higher version build as far as I remember which I never touched because I was worried it would wipe clean the app settings/data which I did not want at that time.
When I said bricked, I meant that the device doesn't get past the google loading screen. I can get to the bootloader page (where it shows the fastboot mode on line one) and when I select either recovery mode or start, it just freezes at the google screen. Also, I'm kind of sure that I never touched the USB debugging settings before the device got bricked. So if it was not factory enabled, probably it won't be now if that's any meaningful since its not booting!

Hopefully I've explained fully about the problem that I'm having. This is the kind of a problem that others also faced. So, if anyone here knows the right forum or any blogpost which explains the step-by-step procedure to deal with this issue, please share it asap.

At the bootloader prescreen, if that's what its called, It says line by line
FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT NAME - tilapia
VARIANT - tilapia
HW VERSION - PR
BOOTLOADER VERSION - 4.13
BASEBAND VERSION - 1231_0.10.0_1021
SERIAL NUMBER - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
LOCK STATE - LOCKED

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE] UNLOCK - ROOT - RETURN TO STOCK and/ or UNBRICK your Nexus 7 3G “Nakasig- Tilapia” v4.2.2:cool:

- Disclaimer: I don't take any responsibility for anything you do to your tablet, which is to transform it into brick, break, or transform it into coffee machine -

Requirements:
    1. You must have the sdk (ADT Bundle for Win) installed on your Pc and you are able to access, and use adb and fastboot.
    NOTE: Notice the install location. This defaults to C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk the platform tools (adb, fastboot) and usb drivers will be downloaded to this location. This will be referred to from here on as your sdk directory

But in case you haven't install all SDK, you can use only fastboot by the easy way.(Go here if you want to use the easy way to fastboot)

2. You must have ticked USB Debugging mode in your Nexus 7 3G

3 You must download and install - USB DRIVERS r_06 for Windows 7 & 8

4. Download one of both root-tool
    CF- Auto-Root by Chainfire - Download link for Version Tilapia - Nakasig

or the Superboot r4 by Paul O’Brien - Actually I'm not sure if Superboot is functionnal for version 4.2.2 - I tested with my Grouper v4.2.2 and I stayed in Google screen with bootloop.

5. Download your recovery special for your Tilapia - Nakasig
    CWM (Touch version or not)
    TWRP - latest versions
    ClockworkMod - Google Nexus 7 (GSM) - Superuser (fixed) for Android 4.2.
    and rename your select with the name of the recovery image you chose to download.

6. The factory image for the Nexus 7 3G => 4.2.2 (JDQ39) - nakasig-jdq39-factory-0798439d.tgz - md5: ee8db1ed6ff1c007fe12136d4bc65cd8- size: 279.9MB - The Version Zip if you prefer

AND DON'T FORGET THAN IT'S BETTER FOR YOUR SPECIAL N7 3G+
    TO USE THE SPECIAL RECOVERIES "TILAPIA - NAKASIG"
    and NOT "GROUPER" WHICH ARE DIFFERENTS

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    Pre-Steps
    To make this easier,
    1 - you should put the root-tool.zip selected on the folder “fastboot” (if you use the easy way - Goto post #2)
    2 – You should put the recovery.img selected on the folder “fastboot”

UNLOCK YOUR NEXUS 7 3G+
    To unlock your device, you must go to your bootloader. To do that, you have possibilities;
    1. Turn your device on while pressing volume down
    or
    1. Connect your device and go to cmd terminal
    Code:
    > cd \Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools  (it's common localization for an auto install)
    > adb devices
    # the following output should be returned
    List of devices attached
    <device serial number>       device
    2. Boot to the bootloader by use adb
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    or
    2 Bis. Boot to the bootloader by use fastboot
    Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

3. Unlock your device* by
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    *You will have to accept and erase all of your data on the tablet.
    You are unlocked :good:

By Fastboot only easy way - Unlock you device
    Code:
    C:\Users\Username>cd c:\fastboot
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>fastboot oem unlock

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

You can choose one of both recoveries - CWM or TWRP

Flash ClockworkMod Recovery as Permanent recovery
    (You're still inside the bootloader and connected through the usb cable)

1. Flash CWM especially for your N7 3G
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-name of your recovery.img

To make CWM Permanent recovery
    2. Boot into recovery by pressing “volume up” and when the menu says ‘recovery mode’ press the power button
    3. Go to “Mounts and Storage” menu
    4. select “mount system”
    5. Type in cmd terminal
    Code:
    adb shell
    cd /system
    mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.bak
    exit

If you having trouble gaining shell, try
    Code:
    adb kill-server
    then
    Code:
    adb start-server
    . And restart the lines command above
    * For some people, it has been reported that you don't have to replace recovery-from-boot.bak. The flash is enough to make the recovery stick.

Flash TWRP as Permanent recovery
    (You're still inside the bootloader and connected through the usb cable)

1. Flash TWRP especially for your N7 3G
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp-tilapia-2.4.4.0.img

To make TWRP Permanent recovery
    2. Boot into recovery by pressing “volume up” and when the menu says ‘recovery mode’ press the power button
    3. Go to “Mounts and Storage” menu
    4. select “mount system”
    5. Type in cmd terminal
    Code:
    adb shell
    cd /system
    mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.bak
    exit

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Nothing else, that's it.

Installation and usage
    - Download the ZIP file (see post below for link)
    - Extract the ZIP file (you will see - 2 folders=> images & tools and 3 files: root-windows // root-mac // root-linux)
    - Boot your device in bootloader/fastboot mode. Usually this can be done by turning your device off, then holding VolUp+VolDown+Power to turn it on.
    - Connect your device to your computer using USB

- Windows:
    Code:
    Run root-windows.bat

- Linux
    Code:
    chmod +x root-linux.sh
    Code:
    Run root-linux.sh

- Mac OS X
    Code:
    chmod +x root-mac.sh
    Code:
     Run root-mac.sh

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
    - WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files,
    and type
    Code:
    chmod +x superboot-mac.sh
    followed by
    Code:
    ./superboot-mac.sh

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files,
    and type
    Code:
    chmod +x superboot-linux.sh
    followed by
    Code:
    ./superboot-linux.sh

RETURN TO STOCK and/or UNBRICK your N7 3G+
    Before you begin, please make sure you have ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

1. Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 3G=> 4.2.2 (JDQ39) - nakasig-jdq39-factory-0798439d.tgz - md5: ee8db1ed6ff1c007fe12136d4bc65cd8- size: 279.9MB - The Version Zip if you prefer

2. Extract the factory image into the same directory as your ADB and Fastboot executables (e.g. "\android-sdk\platform-tools")

3. Plug in your device. If you are booted into Android, open a command prompt to your ADB and Fastboot directory, then type:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

If your device is powered off, press and hold both volume keys and the power button simultaneously. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch. This should reboot you into the bootloader.

4. Type:
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-tilapia-4.18.img

5. Type:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

6. Now type:
    Code:
    fastboot -w update image-nakasig-jdq39.zip

7. Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty or security purposes, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type:
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock

8. If your tablet hasn't already rebooted automatically, you can type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

Well done. You should now be back on stock Android 4.2.2 :cool: ;)

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    These root tools are actually the easy way for rooting your device, so you can use them without problems.

For my part I’ve used
    the easy way by my fastboot guide for unlock my device,
    Adb lines command for flash TWRP as permanent recovery,

Thanks for @mateorod, @Chainfire, @paulobrien and all members who helps for the development about the Nexus 7 3G+
    The EASY WAY TO USE FASTBOOT LINES COMMAND

HELP FOR FLASH MORE FASTER WHEN YOU USE FASTBOOT LINE COMMAND

If you have got a problem with your adb or fastboot or recovery....it's very simply and faster ;)
    use this:
    Download this file "fastboot.zip"
    Install this file somewhere in one folder which is named "fastboot" on your PC
    => disk C: root
    Unzipped this file on the folder "fastboot" and you will find 3 files:
    - adb.exe
    - AdbWinApi.dll
    - fastboot.exe

and when you need to push something by the bootloader, you can use it.
    Don't forget to push on this folder the file that you need. For exemple: boot.img or a recovery.img, etc...

The line command is :
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>
    Enter
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Enter
    If you want to flash the "recovery.img" file

If you want to know all lines of command
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>fastboot
    Code:
    usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
      update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
      flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
      flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
      erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
      getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
      boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
      flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
      devices                                  list all connected devices
      continue                                 continue with autoboot
      reboot                                   reboot device normally
      reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader
      help                                     show this help message

options:
      -w                                       erase userdata and cache
      -s <serial number>                       specify device serial number
      -p <product>                             specify product name
      -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
      -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
      -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address
      -n <page size>                           specify the nand page size. default: 2048
    Hi i am new here , sorry but cant seem to find anywhere how to flash the binaries N7 3g 4.2.2 , they are tgz files not zip or img files , so how do we flash tgz files ,could someone tell please ?
    Go to the index for the N7 3G and search a little, you will find the zip version ;)
    and go to the second post, you will find the instructions for install

If you search and read a little bit, it will be better for all ;)
    Reserved in case ;)
    How big risk is it to brick the device while unlocking/rooting and installing recovery? Pls tell me its unbrickable. ;) cheers

The Nexus7 is very difficult to brick. It still is possible, but as far as I know there is only one way to do it - remove or destroy the bootloader.

Under normal circumstances, the only time you do anything with the bootloader is unlocking/locking it, which simply does a minor modification. That's perfectly fine. And the normal custom-recovery/root process doesn't touch it, so that's fine too. Doing system updates (even legit OTA ones) might upgrade the bootloader, as might flashing custom roms. But as long as you don't interrupt the process during that critical step, it should be OK.

So outside of erasing the bootloader or flashing a completely incompatible bootloader and rebooting, your N7 should be safe.