UPDATE: 60 fps Achieved!! 4.3

Search This thread

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
So after a decompile I was sifting through the smali file and noticed something. First, some super odd 3K recording resolution - this is in the file dealing strictly with recording video so no, its not for still captures. Anyone have thoughts/input on this?

Also, we can record at 60 fps in 1080p. Albeit only at 14mbps (yeah, so I'm going to modify that :D) but how great is that?! Now people can stop asking for it. Before anyone asks - I have no idea if this carries to 4.4 but I'm sure it does.

If anyone wants proof and doesn't want to decompile the apk on their own - say so here and I'll post the smali.

UPDATE:
Well I did it. Haven't done any extensive testing but I managed to record two videos without any issues. There may be issues so as always - be careful. I tested this on Wicked v10, it should work on any 4.3 TW ROM but only time will tell. I need to add that so far its limited to about 10 seconds. Past that it drops to 30 again, not sure why yet.

This is my modified camera. What does that mean? Recording bit rates are higher (both audio and video, 1080 and 720). Video records at 60 fps (keep reading if you don't know why that matters).

Bit rates:
1080p: 20 mbps @ 60fps

720p: 17 mbps @ 60fps

Audio: 320 kbps @ 48 KHz

For those that don't understand why 60 frames per second matters it really comes down to quality. For analyzing videos, editing them, capturing frames for a still shot, even general viewing. It allows you to slow a video down (same concept as those super slow motion cameras on TV). Videos just seem more fluid overall also, when played at normal speed.

I'm sure someone can elaborate on the above better than myself.

This is just the apk. Not a CWM installer package. So you'll have to install it manually. One you replace the stock SamsungCamera2.apk you'll have to reboot. Please be mindful of how large these video files will get. Let me know if there are any bugs (I'm sure there will be a few).

Here's the link. It's on my Google Drive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3mIOQ0TV63cDJJN0ltdGRXM0k/edit?usp=sharing

Attachments

• 2014_02_12_16.52.55.png
    2014_02_12_16.52.55.png
    242.5 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
So I modded the camera to record 1080p and 720p both at 60fps on the standard settings. Both with higher bit rates for audio and video. So far it installs and works flawless. Can't say much for recording since it's nighttime and I'm not about to disturb my pregnant wife :eek:

Will update tomorrow with results. If it all looks good I'll update with a test version in the themes and mods section.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Good, but it didn't get over 31fps so I'm doing some more edits. Hopefully I'll have it pinned down soon and post it for testing.

DigitalHeretic

Nov 27, 2012
Dayton, OH
When you get it working, can you build it into an .apk for those of us that don't use custom recovery? I'm stock 4.3 rooted, but don't want to trip KNOX flag just yet

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
I can try. I think all you have to do us drop it right into /system/app. Though I think with your type of install it installs that to a different partition and I don't know which one.

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Still doing some work, just so you know I haven't dropped this.

Also I've found a couple other interesting things while digging around. I don't want anyone to get their hopes up on these two but here they are.

1: In fast mode our rear camera has two options - 60fps and 120fps. The latter is limited to 720p from what I can tell and I'm not sure if anyone would want that. Though on a higher end display (TV or whatever) it might be handy. In the real world though, I have no idea if it would be ok for the camera module. Not to mention the file sizes would kill your memory and battery even if I dropped the bit rate. We'll see I guess - That's what owning Android is about ;)

2: UHD. 'nuff said. I'm having trouble finding the exact 4K resolution listed but UHD is listed in it as an option.

Like I said - don't get your hopes up on those two. They're a bit far fetched, though I know Sammy underused this phones camera. Battery life would be the reason for that.

If anyone with experience writing apps or any devs read this, I would appreciate the help.

PotatoDrum

Sep 16, 2013
Way cool. I'll be following this. Will this work on any ROM?

itzik_man

Nov 13, 2010
Saint-Laurent, Quebec
Excuse me if I am not overly optimistic...

Usually the development model is working in a logical and chronically method & not backwards.

First you publish out the solution (Application) even if it's not completed & then your advertise it or asking for testing volunteers.

Its not about bring out an idea, it's about making some user excited about it & then tell everyone there are issues, delays...etc.

Solace50

Jul 17, 2011
Still doing some work, just so you know I haven't dropped this.

Also I've found a couple other interesting things while digging around. I don't want anyone to get their hopes up on these two but here they are.

1: In fast mode our rear camera has two options - 60fps and 120fps. The latter is limited to 720p from what I can tell and I'm not sure if anyone would want that. Though on a higher end display (TV or whatever) it might be handy. In the real world though, I have no idea if it would be ok for the camera module. Not to mention the file sizes would kill your memory and battery even if I dropped the bit rate. We'll see I guess - That's what owning Android is about ;)

2: UHD. 'nuff said. I'm having trouble finding the exact 4K resolution listed but UHD is listed in it as an option.

Like I said - don't get your hopes up on those two. They're a bit far fetched, though I know Sammy underused this phones camera. Battery life would be the reason for that.

If anyone with experience writing apps or any devs read this, I would appreciate the help.

quite curious as to if the phone can even handle 120fps at 1080p. others have said UHD was not supported due to chipset limitations within the 320 vs the 330 found in int/note 3 which i call bs on. i highly doubt the chips are limited in that way, if anything maybe the native api was removed for the 320 firmwares. as you say UHD is listed... when your done tinkering perhaps you could see if you can force all recording to the external SD as the current setup utilizes the internal sd card for video feeds/burst shots due to the higher bus interface. class 6/extreme sd chips i think can handle 1080 properly at 30fps according to some sites.

nvm my mistake just burst shots are saved to the internal regardless video feed obeys the camera setting.

Last edited:

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Any update?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium HD app

Not yet. I can't get it to work at 60 fps only editing the apk. Not giving up though, I just had to take a break because of no sleep. My pregnant wife keeps me up tossing and turning.

I doubt the kernel is limiting the frame rate, or if that's even something that would be in a kernel. I don't touch those - I think I'm far too green for that and have no idea where I would start.

I'm off today so I'll have a chance to mess around with it some more and hopefully have something for you to test that does more than say "recording failed".

Reactions: RotaryXperiment7

HTCMDA

Dec 28, 2006
Not yet. I can't get it to work at 60 fps only editing the apk. Not giving up though, I just had to take a break because of no sleep. My pregnant wife keeps me up tossing and turning.

I doubt the kernel is limiting the frame rate, or if that's even something that would be in a kernel. I don't touch those - I think I'm far too green for that and have no idea where I would start.

I'm off today so I'll have a chance to mess around with it some more and hopefully have something for you to test that does more than say "recording failed".

It must be kernel related, I say this because some custom kernels on this very forum can't even handle the slow motion option in the camera. They crash your phone and make it reboot. BUT the stock kernel can do it? So maybe some kernel tweaking will get the fps to 60:confused:

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
It must be kernel related, I say this because some custom kernels on this very forum can't even handle the slow motion option in the camera. They crash your phone and make it reboot. BUT the stock kernel can do it? So maybe some kernel tweaking will get the fps to 60:confused:

DONE! :fingers-crossed: Let's just hope it works for the rest of you :D

Attachments

• 2014_02_12_16.52.55.png
    2014_02_12_16.52.55.png
    242.5 KB · Views: 347

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010

Hey, what exactly did you do? I am using the Note3 camera so I don't wanna install the attached apk in the OP. Plus, I could probably turn this into an xposed module for you. :) Making future mods easier.

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Hey, what exactly did you do? I am using the Note3 camera so I don't wanna install the attached apk in the OP. Plus, I could probably turn this into an xposed module for you. :) Making future mods easier.
I would still stick with the Note 3 camera for now. It's still being very buggy. It looks like there are definitely some other mods that need to be done other than just the apk. I get frame drops in the logs and every now and then it throws and error that "the device might be doing too much" and drops 40+ frames.

Currently all I did to the apk was editing a smali file. Then a couple reboots and let it settle for a few minutes. I just need to figure out the frame drops.

Sweet Thank u! How do I exactly install this?

Depends on what method you like. The easiest it to use a file explorer (root explorer or another one). Mount the /system as rw and replace your current samsungcamera2.apk, then change the permissions to rw-r-r. Make sure to backup your current one of course. Also remember, this is for testing so there will be issues. Logs and feedback would be great too.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So after a decompile I was sifting through the smali file and noticed something. First, some super odd 3K recording resolution - this is in the file dealing strictly with recording video so no, its not for still captures. Anyone have thoughts/input on this?

Also, we can record at 60 fps in 1080p. Albeit only at 14mbps (yeah, so I'm going to modify that :D) but how great is that?! Now people can stop asking for it. Before anyone asks - I have no idea if this carries to 4.4 but I'm sure it does.

If anyone wants proof and doesn't want to decompile the apk on their own - say so here and I'll post the smali.

UPDATE:
    Well I did it. Haven't done any extensive testing but I managed to record two videos without any issues. There may be issues so as always - be careful. I tested this on Wicked v10, it should work on any 4.3 TW ROM but only time will tell. I need to add that so far its limited to about 10 seconds. Past that it drops to 30 again, not sure why yet.

This is my modified camera. What does that mean? Recording bit rates are higher (both audio and video, 1080 and 720). Video records at 60 fps (keep reading if you don't know why that matters).

Bit rates:
    1080p: 20 mbps @ 60fps

720p: 17 mbps @ 60fps

Audio: 320 kbps @ 48 KHz

For those that don't understand why 60 frames per second matters it really comes down to quality. For analyzing videos, editing them, capturing frames for a still shot, even general viewing. It allows you to slow a video down (same concept as those super slow motion cameras on TV). Videos just seem more fluid overall also, when played at normal speed.

I'm sure someone can elaborate on the above better than myself.

This is just the apk. Not a CWM installer package. So you'll have to install it manually. One you replace the stock SamsungCamera2.apk you'll have to reboot. Please be mindful of how large these video files will get. Let me know if there are any bugs (I'm sure there will be a few).

Here's the link. It's on my Google Drive.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3mIOQ0TV63cDJJN0ltdGRXM0k/edit?usp=sharing

So I modded the camera to record 1080p and 720p both at 60fps on the standard settings. Both with higher bit rates for audio and video. So far it installs and works flawless. Can't say much for recording since it's nighttime and I'm not about to disturb my pregnant wife :eek:

Will update tomorrow with results. If it all looks good I'll update with a test version in the themes and mods section.

Any update?