[frustration free] restore to stock firmware moto g all versions

Search This thread

Mkdon

May 14, 2012
Hello Folks:

This comes after a bit of struggle to get this Moto G XT1132 Retail version to stock. For some weird reason the phone refused to boot after factory wipe via CWM..That shouldn't have happened in the first case. But **** happens and that's XDA helps the troubled users. There is still shortage of complete toolkits with full features around for Moto G not privileged like Nexus 4 or Nexus 5 yet..

Symptoms :

1. Moto G refuse to start and STUCK at boot / bootloop.
2. Normal fastboot commands upsets you by not flashing system.img or any other stock firmware files.

Solution:

1. Edit the RETAIL-GB_4.4.2_KLB20.9-1.10-1.9_cid7_CFC_1FF_v5_SVC.txt (its an xml file though) as attached with this post.(You just need to remove one line from the top; don't worry if your .xml looks different from this one; as I have taken this as an example)

2. Get your firmware from here : http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

3. Download the flash.txt file from this post rename it to flash.bat (its very important) put this in the extracted folder of your firmware.

4. Copy all the fastboot files in the extracted firmware folder along with the flash.bat

5. Rename the fastboot.exe to > fastboot-moto-windows.exe

6. Put your Moto G to bootloader mode

7. Click on the flash.bat file which is in the firmware extracted folder. It will do its stuff and may take few seconds. When the script stops just reboot the phone. And you are back to stock with no bootloop.

NOTE: You are on your own. I take no responsibility for any device getting bricked or whatsoever.

I take NO Credit for this and I have just gathered this information from various forums including XDA. I have just tried to put them at one place to make it Frustration Free...

If I helped you Hit the Thanks button down there...

I specially thank tillaz for the batch file which is a key tool to fix the mess

Good Luck

Attachments

• flash.txt
    710 bytes · Views: 4,302
  • RETAIL-GB_4.4.2_KLB20.9-1.10-1.9_cid7_CFC_1FF_v5_SVC.txt
    2 KB · Views: 3,483
Last edited:

flowerpoweruk

Jun 14, 2012
Hello Folks:

This comes after a bit of struggle to get this Moto G XT1132 Retail version to stock. For some weird reason the phone refused to boot after factory wipe via CWM..That shouldn't have happened in the first case. But **** happens and that's XDA helps the troubled users. There is still shortage of complete toolkits with full features around for Moto G not privileged like Nexus 4 or Nexus 5 yet..

Symptoms :

2. Normal fastboot commands upsets you by not flashing system.img or any other stock firmware files.

Solution:

1. Edit the RETAIL-GB_4.4.2_KLB20.9-1.10-1.9_cid7_CFC_1FF_v5_SVC.txt (its an xml file though) as attached with this post.(You just need to remove one line from the top; don't worry if your .xml looks different from this one; as I have taken this as an example)

2. Get your firmware from here : http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

3. Download the flash.txt file from this post rename it to flash.bat (its very important) put this in the extracted folder of your firmware.

4. Copy all the fastboot files in the extracted firmware folder along with the flash.bat

7. Click on the flash.bat file which is in the firmware extracted folder. It will do its stuff and may take few seconds. When the script stops just reboot the phone. And you are back to stock with no bootloop.

NOTE: You are on your own. I take no responsibility for any device getting bricked or whatsoever.

I take NO Credit for this and I have just gathered this information from various forums including XDA. I have just tried to put them at one place to make it Frustration Free...

Good Luck

worked!!!!!!!!

you sir... are a legend!!!!!!!!!

thank you so much!!!!

Xin_TiGeR

Mar 21, 2012
it gives me the same as the original method " < waiting for device > "

i have made a full swipe to the phone, cleaned the previous custom rom already, and a have cwm recovery.. dont know if this info is important

DONE!! i havent put the adb files in the firmware folder, but has flashed flawlessly now!! thank you for this solution!! :good:

Last edited:

Mkdon

May 14, 2012
it gives me the same as the original method " < waiting for device > "

i have made a full swipe to the phone, cleaned the previous custom rom already, and a have cwm recovery.. dont know if this info is important

What would you like to achieve? / is your Moto G stuck in loop after factory reset? Give a full background about the issue

feartheanonymity

Feb 23, 2013

What is meant by this ? what exactly am I removing ? Do I need to rename it to the firmware I am about to flash?

Cheers.

EDIT: I figured it out, I just had a noob moment in my despair and couldn't take the information in, What a difference some nicotine and a cuppa makes!

Thanks OP great work.

Last edited:

yasir1234

May 14, 2014
Hello Folks:

Symptoms :

Solution:

Good Luck

help me guys
2 days back I was using my fone and it juz went off blank screen. tried many times with power button bt nothing. den went it to fastboot mode and tried recovery/normal powerup/factory but everytime got msg "failed to validate system image". followed d procedure given here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2700502 and got this result
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd..

C:\Windows>cd..

C:\>g:

G:\>cd moto g

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe oem lock begin
(bootloader) Device is already locked!

OKAY [ 0.014s]
finished. total time: 0.016s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe flash partition gpt.bin
target max-sparse-size: 256MB
sending 'partition' (32 KB)...
OKAY [ 5.001s]
writing 'partition'...
(bootloader) This may take a few seconds, if a
(bootloader) different partition table is being
(bootloader) flashed since we need to backup
(bootloader) and restore a few partitions
(bootloader) Flashing primary GPT image...
(bootloader) Failed to write primary GPT.

(bootloader) Failed to program partition table
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 10.396s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe flash motoboot motoboot.img
sending 'motoboot' (1940 KB)...
OKAY [ 5.112s]
writing 'motoboot'...
(bootloader) flashing tz ...
(bootloader) Failed to erase partition
(bootloader) Failed to flash tz
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 11.343s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe flash logo logo.bin
sending 'logo' (619 KB)...
OKAY [ 5.059s]
writing 'logo'...
(bootloader) Failed to flash partition logo
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 10.084s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe flash boot boot.img
sending 'boot' (10240 KB)...
OKAY [ 5.554s]
writing 'boot'...
(bootloader) Failed to flash partition boot
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 11.077s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (10240 KB)...
OKAY [ 5.532s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) Failed to flash partition recovery
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 11.061s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
sending 'system' (262142 KB)...
OKAY [ 19.204s]
writing 'system'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 33.653s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
sending 'system' (237949 KB)...
OKAY [ 17.387s]
writing 'system'...
(bootloader) Failed to flash sparse image
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 25.518s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
sending 'system' (243326 KB)...
OKAY [ 18.015s]
writing 'system'...
(bootloader) Failed to flash sparse image
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 34.875s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
sending 'modem' (47476 KB)...
OKAY [ 7.540s]
writing 'modem'...
(bootloader) Failed to flash partition modem
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 12.576s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe erase modemst1
erasing 'modemst1'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 9.987s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe erase modemst2
erasing 'modemst2'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 9.990s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe flash fsg fsg.mbn
sending 'fsg' (102 KB)...
OKAY [ 5.056s]
writing 'fsg'...
(bootloader) Failed to flash partition fsg
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 10.090s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe erase cache
erasing 'cache'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 9.990s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe erase userdata
erasing 'userdata'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 9.995s

G:\moto g>mfastboot.exe oem lock
(bootloader) Device is already locked!

OKAY [ 0.012s]
finished. total time: 0.015s

G:\moto g>pause
Press any key to continue . .

any solution guys

feartheanonymity

Feb 23, 2013
well there are many threads explaining how to unlock bootloader, It basically consists of getting a code through adb, putting that code onto motorola website, getting the code and sending it to the phone. check the guides in the general section.

as for relocking it, is as simple as going into fastboot and typing (in adb / fastboot) fastboot oem lock.

DigitalRegen

Jun 3, 2014
Moto G Stuck in Boot Loop! Help

When I flash the stock firmware I keep getting these error messages

(bootloader) Invalid signed image

(bootloader) Preflash validation failed

(bootloader) Failed to validate sparse image

and these all end with

FAILED (remote failure)

target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'partition' (32 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.035s]
writing 'partition'...
(bootloader) This may take a few seconds, if a
(bootloader) different partition table is being
(bootloader) flashed since we need to backup
(bootloader) and restore a few partitions
(bootloader) Flashing primary GPT image...
(bootloader) Flashing backup GPT image...
OKAY [ 0.448s]
finished. total time: 0.486s
sending 'motoboot' (1940 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.111s]
writing 'motoboot'...
(bootloader) flashing tz ...
(bootloader) flashing rpm ...
(bootloader) flashing sdi ...
(bootloader) flashing aboot ...
(bootloader) flashing sbl1 ...
OKAY [ 1.490s]
finished. total time: 1.603s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.004s]
finished. total time: 0.005s
sending 'boot' (10240 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.361s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.915s
sending 'recovery' (10240 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.372s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.948s
sending 'system' (260606 KB)...
OKAY [ 8.415s]
writing 'system'...
(bootloader) Invalid signed image
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 8.950s
sending 'system' (239692 KB)...
OKAY [ 7.770s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 9.293s]
finished. total time: 17.065s
sending 'system' (222205 KB)...
OKAY [ 7.165s]
writing 'system'...
(bootloader) Failed to validate sparse image
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 19.684s
sending 'modem' (47484 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.583s]
writing 'modem'...
OKAY [ 1.304s]
finished. total time: 2.890s
erasing 'modemst1'...
OKAY [ 0.066s]
finished. total time: 0.067s
erasing 'modemst2'...
OKAY [ 0.067s]
finished. total time: 0.068s
sending 'fsg' (721 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.125s]
writing 'fsg'...
OKAY [ 0.104s]
finished. total time: 0.231s
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 0.362s]
finished. total time: 0.364s
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 2.560s]
finished. total time: 2.562s

I have tried to flash many different firmwares on it to get it out of the boot loop like "US Retail" (4.3 and 4.4.2), "Boost US" (4.3 and 4.4.2), and "Verizon US" (4.3 and 4.4.2). This always results in one of the 3 error messages or more. I have found the one that works with the least error messages is the Boost US firmware for 4.4.2 and it gives only the error message (bootloader) Failed to validate sparse image on the 3rd system file. Whenever I try to install the firmware it doesn't seem to work, and it results in the phone turning on with the Motorola logo then the phone vibrates once then turns off and repeats, or the phone shows the android logo on its back with the exclamation point after the single vibration and sits like that until it turns off a few minutes later repeating the process. I have tried everything including trying to boot normally, resetting to factory, going into recovery and wiping cache and deleting all data, and even attempting to install from ADB. I have actually successfully done this process before a few hours before trying it on this one where it ended up like this. I looked this up and apparently you can still fix the phone if it can reach the boot loader screen, but when I was working with the phone I forgot to put it in developer mode and turn on USB debugging so that might be an issue. If there is a way I could fix it that would be very helpful, but if it doesn't I can still return the phone in the next 4 days.
Thanks for the help!

Extra Info:
The phone's bootloader is locked and because it is new I do not have any backups.
Also I already have these following programs
Minimal ADB and Fastboot
RSD Lite
DFS
Mfastboot v2
r1-motog-modifiedrecoveryroot.zip
adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321.zip
platform-tools.zip
Fastboot+ADB(20926).zip
adbfix.zip
These are all from other threads that have explained this issue but the fix they provided did not work.

Thanks Again!

doctor_evil

Dec 6, 2010
Gainesville GA
Guys, I have a Moto-G that was sold to me as a XT-1032 US global GSM model. The guy who sold it to me said that after the OTA update for 4.4.2 was applied to his phone it never would see a signal again, and kept saying to turn off airplane even though it saw that a sim was installed. looking at the status it kept saying the radio was turned off. When I got it from him it was showing the unlocked bootloader message, but when I checked the status on the fastboot screen it was showing locked status 2, which indicates it had never been unlocked. I unlocked the bootloader and started trying different versions of the firmware to see if I could fix the issue, but nothing ever worked until I tried this method.

I only flashed the radio from the GB 4.4.2 version that the OP had provided the XML file for using the modified xml file he provided, and now my cell radio is working again. Since I had already voided any warranty on it, I went ahead with flashing the CWM recovery and the latest nightly for CM11 and it's working beautifully, very smooth. I had bought this for my wife if I could fix it, so now she's getting a nice upgrade from her old GSM galaxy nexus that had started developing issues where it had to be rebooted to get the radio to work again (on the stock 4.3 firmware mind you, just a hardware problem I think due to it's age)

So in short Thanks OP!!

Obigail

Jul 7, 2014

Thanks for posting this since my phone is having these exact issues! I was a little unsure of what you meant in step 1 above, so what I did is take the sample XML which you attached to the post and replaced the software version info in the header with the version information for my carrier's firmware. Not sure if that was what I was supposed to do. Anyway, everything works great except that it is failing to flash motoboot.img. The command windows says it's a remote error- preflash validation failed, and the phone displays an error that says the version has been downgraded for tz. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Folks:

Symptoms :

Solution:

Good Luck