I'm thinking about switching to the vzw g2...Major questions first!

Search This thread

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
I've been reading these forums for two days now and I'm just add confused as when I started. If I get a new device that comes with the current 12b update, I see root is available, but very Unclear about recovery - all the threads op's are vague and misleading. Any clarification would be appreciated. 2nd: of the plethora of roms available, is it true that the rom itself must be updated for the 12b firmware? That's the jist I'm getting, and how on earth do you know if they have been? It's all very confusing and Unclear. I'm coming from the beautiful unlocked bootloader if the vzw galaxy s3 and our important threads are grouped into guides and updated regularly. Understanding the basics is easy with the s3, but I'm truly questioning if I want the g2 now (I'm a flashaholic) - so confused!
Any detailed help would be awesome..

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

spinninbsod

May 17, 2013
new york city
you might have some problems with 12b and installing recovery root your phone install an app called freegee and select twrp or cwm i like twrp but i think both work i had one problem when i backed up stock rom stock freaked out and asked for a decrptyion code reboot fixed that so some have reported problems one thing if your going to root install a custom rom because if lg pushes the ota to your device if its rooted it will brick it cm11 is a little unstable but if you can look past some bugs its a great experience

I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY if you brick your device ROOTING or modding your device has risk

oh and have fun with cyanogenmod

Reactions: annoyingduck
D

Deleted member 5019868

Personal Experience

Just got a replacement 12B G2, this is what I've noticed:

-Installing root/recovery is still fairly simple on 12B.

-No problems with flashing roms either (tested both TWRP and Philz Touch).

-But KERNELS will throw you a curve ball. 12B requires a separate loki patch from the older builds. PAEK refused to flash in both recoveries (assert failed: run_program("/tmp/loki.sh ==0) until I found a user-patched workaround kernel. After that it flashed fine, but it required some digging.

Right now AOSP is nowhere near 100 percent stable on the VZW G2 and probably won't be until LG gets their act together. Just something to consider. Best of luck!

Reactions: annoyingduck

spinninbsod

May 17, 2013
new york city
I hope lg gets there act together cm11 is unstable but I can use it as mY daily driver no problem maybe with a kitkat update it will be more stable

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    you might have some problems with 12b and installing recovery root your phone install an app called freegee and select twrp or cwm i like twrp but i think both work i had one problem when i backed up stock rom stock freaked out and asked for a decrptyion code reboot fixed that so some have reported problems one thing if your going to root install a custom rom because if lg pushes the ota to your device if its rooted it will brick it cm11 is a little unstable but if you can look past some bugs its a great experience

I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY if you brick your device ROOTING or modding your device has risk

oh and have fun with cyanogenmod
    D
    Deleted member 5019868
    Personal Experience

Just got a replacement 12B G2, this is what I've noticed:

-Installing root/recovery is still fairly simple on 12B.

-No problems with flashing roms either (tested both TWRP and Philz Touch).

-But KERNELS will throw you a curve ball. 12B requires a separate loki patch from the older builds. PAEK refused to flash in both recoveries (assert failed: run_program("/tmp/loki.sh ==0) until I found a user-patched workaround kernel. After that it flashed fine, but it required some digging.

Right now AOSP is nowhere near 100 percent stable on the VZW G2 and probably won't be until LG gets their act together. Just something to consider. Best of luck!