[Q] Turn the v500 into a v510 (Google Play Edition)

Search This thread

vithorleal

Apr 7, 2013
Hi!

I'm planning on buying the LG G Pad 8.3, but I live in Brazil and the Google Play Edition isn't available here. However, I really love the simple UI and clean software-design from Google (I have a Moto G, as well) and I've alson seen some people saying that, sometimes, there are a few performance issues with the G Pad that isn't the Google Play Edition due to, mainly, LG's bloats. I'd like to know whether it's possible to flash the stock ROM (download it from somewhere) and, basically, turn the v500 into the v510 (GPe). So, is it possible? If it is, is it also necessary to change the kernel? And, if so, has anyone done it before / could it brick the tablet? I'd like to buy one soon, because of the price and good specs, but I'm not keen on the software-design by LG and I'd like to have a "original" system running on it, not some modified/customized cyanogen stuff (although, if that's my only option to a better performance, I'd probably choose it).

Thanks a lot!

getmealive

Jul 1, 2010
Hahaha...you need to root the G Pad to install stock Android ROM. Maybe You can find the stock ROM here on xda developer...but root the device first.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

vithorleal

Apr 7, 2013
Right...

The only problem I've encountered is not finding the Stock ROM from the Google Play edition... And I've seen the CM11 based version, I just don't like the setting menu from CM11, but maybe I'll do that. The main thing I want is the virtual button to show the recent apps that is simply non existant on the non-GPe edition!

ledabe974

Jun 24, 2010
LG G Pad 8.3
OnePlus 2
Right...

The only problem I've encountered is not finding the Stock ROM from the Google Play edition... And I've seen the CM11 based version, I just don't like the setting menu from CM11, but maybe I'll do that. The main thing I want is the virtual button to show the recent apps that is simply non existant on the non-GPe edition!

On stock ROM : long press home button !

vithorleal

Apr 7, 2013
I know that, I've seen some videos about it already... But I don't like it and it's a functionality that Google has considered obsolete since Android 3.0 and, for some stupid reason, LG and their GREAT software-designers still implement it. They really should follow Motorola on this regard, as they are releasing new phones with no bloat at all, using basically what would be a Nexus version of their phones.

P.S.: FOUND A TOPIC ABOUT THIS IN GENERAL FORUM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51834016

Basically, it doesn't work due to small hardware differences (WiFi and Bluetooth seem to fail after flashing the v510 stock ROM). However, I believe an AOSP ROM is still an option for better performance.

Last edited:

Subtleone

Jul 10, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
I know that, I've seen some videos about it already... But I don't like it and it's a functionality that Google has considered obsolete since Android 3.0 and, for some stupid reason, LG and their GREAT software-designers still implement it. They really should follow Motorola on this regard, as they are releasing new phones with no bloat at all, using basically what would be a Nexus version of their phones.

I cannot begin to imagine why that is desirable, where everyone would have the same phone experience. Very boring.

In any case I agree that LG has done some GREAT stuff with the software. If you buy a G Pad, you will see for yourself.